Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

• 17-11-2009 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I've removed the abusive posts and I've reopened this thread. If we can discuss it as adults without resorting to wishing physical harm on players or using abusive language to describe them then the thread will stay open and there'll be no problems.

If however this descends into another free for all, I'll lock it again and anybody involved will be on the recieving end of a minimum 1 week ban.

Also, calling someone a 'troll' is against the charter

Latest mod note is here

Le_nouveau_logo_FFF.png

V

FAIreland_logo.png

France:

Goalkeepers: Carrasso (Bordeaux),
    Lloris (Lyon),
    Mandanda (Marseille)

Defenders: Abidal (Barcelona),
    Cissokho (Lyon),
    Escudé (Seville),
    Evra (Manchester United),
    Fanni (Rennes),
    Gallas (Arsenal),
    Sagna (Arsenal),
    Squillaci (Seville)

Midfielders:
    Diaby (Arsenal),
    Alou Diarra (Bordeaux),
    Lassana Diarra (Real Madrid),
    Gourcuff (Bordeaux),
    Malouda (Chelsea),
    Sissoko (Toulouse),
    Toulalan (Lyon)

Forwards:
    Anelka (Chelsea),
    Benzema (Real Madrid),
    Gignac (Toulouse),
    Govou (Lyon),
    Henry (Barcelona),
    Rémy (Nice)

Republic of Ireland:

Goalkeepers: Shay Given (Man City),
    Brian Murphy (Bohemians)
    Joe Murphy (Scunthorpe)

Defenders: John O'Shea (Man Utd),
    Richard Dunne (Aston Villa),
    Stephen Kelly (Fulham),
    Kevin Kilbane (Hull),
    Eddie Nolan (Preston),
    Sean St Ledger (Preston, on loan at Middlesbrough)
    Paul McShane (Hull),
    Darren O'Dea (Celtic, on loan at Reading)

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady (Celtic),
    Damien Duff (Fulham),
    Darron Gibson (Man Utd),
    Glenn Whelan (Stoke),
    Keith Andrews (Blackburn),
    Liam Miller (Hibernian),
    Stephen Hunt (Hull),
    Andy Keogh (Wolverhampton),
    Liam Lawrence (Stoke)

Strikers: Kevin Doyle (Wolverhampton),
    Robbie Keane (Tottenham),
    Shane Long (Reading),
    Leon Best (Coventry),
    Anthony Stokes (Hibernian)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

just heard on Today FM that RTE have secured the rights for the game. Hopefully it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I've been watching Ireland a long long time and I've just got a feeling that something special is going to happen tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think a goal in the first 20-25minutes will make it some hell of a game.

I can see us taking it with a 1-0 victory and going through on penalties;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I've been watching Ireland a long long time and I've just got a feeling that something special is going to happen tomorrow night.
    gavredking wrote: »
    I think a goal in the first 20-25minutes will make it some hell of a game.

I can see us taking it with a 1-0 victory and going through on penalties;)
    I wish i shared your optimism guys, i really do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I dont think we can do it :(:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If we pull this off tomorrow it will be our biggest footballing achievement. Even bigger than making the quarters in 1990.

We would've come through a group and a play-off that contained the two finalists of the last World Cup. No mean feat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I wish i shared your optimism guys, i really do!

I just wish the players share our optimism, of course they are going to be up for it, but if you they dont believe the can go through they might aswell stay at home.

I think we can do it,sure France are very very strong at home and rarely give up results over there but what more incentive do you need to play in the world cup and knocking out a team like France along the way?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

BaZmO* wrote: »
    If pull this off tomorrow it will be our biggest footballing achievement. Even bigger than making the quarters in 1990.

We would've come through a group and a play-off that contained the two finalists of the last World Cup. No mean feat.

Agree Bazmo, it's going to be tough but until the whistle blows at the end on 90 mins, i'm going to beleive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

BaZmO* wrote: »
    If pull this off tomorrow it will be our biggest footballing achievement. Even bigger than making the quarters in 1990.

Coming through this would be achieving the near-impossible IMO. Going to france a goal down? Nah - we needed a 0-0 at worst IMHO. Cant see us outscoring the french in paris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

I had a very vivid dream last night of Robbie Keane scoring in the 80th minute to make it 2-2 on the night, I wonder how accurate this will be.
    Probably not very accurate at all seeing as how it was Gillardino who scored both of Frances goals :o

I think an early goal for Ireland would scare the sh1te out of the French but I don't see it happening, can't see us going through :(

• Advertisement

gavredking wrote: »
    I think we can do it,sure France are very very strong at home and rarely give up results over there.....
    They haven't lost at home in this campaign. The odds really are stacked against us.

Agree Bazmo, it's going to be tough but until the whistle blows at the end on 90 mins, i'm going to beleive.
    You gotta believe, that's the beauty of football, and sport in general. On any given day anything can, and sometime does, happen.

I'm optimistic but not confident that we'll get a result. It's been a very very long time since we've beaten a big team and what better time to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

I have my 2 bets picked out already.

Ireland to win 1-0 in 90 mins @ 11/1

Ireland to qualify for World Cup @ 8/1

Optimism when you really need it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yay!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

BELIEVE

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

BELIEVE

I wish i could but i dont believe, not this time.

Prove me wrong lads

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lads there was a picture floating around one of the threads that had all the irish team lined up, with a caption above it, can anyone give me a link I cant find the thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

If we have any chance of winning this game or levelling up with France, we must do so within the first 60 minutes, or we need to swap to Duracell batteries.

I'd like to to see someone else started over Doyle, I was surprised to say the least that Jim Beglin gave him MOM.

Don't get me wrong, alot of respect for Kevin Doyle but he's the type of stirker that needs the ball played to his feet going through on goal, otherwise I can't see him making many chances for us. Granted, the service to the strikers is piss poor, I can't see that changing, so we need someone with a different style of play to Doyle, perhaps someone a little stronger in the air. (please make me eat my own words Kevin)

I just fear we will have a re-enactment of Saturday, Kevin Kilbane collects the ball, Kevin Kilbane with a long ball, makes a nice pass to France, France are on the attack... over and over and over and over again.

Trap, if you want to carry on with this long ball tactic I suggest you give Niall Quinn a ring. Otherwise it's time to to start thinking about getting one or two passes on the ground going coupled with long balls.

I was very impressed by Keane at getting on those long balls and he's not exactly a tall bloke, Doyle was barely able to get on to any of them, to add to this, I did not feel his attitude reflected his team mates. Give young enthusiastic Hunt a shot, at least you know he will give you 200%.

2-0 Unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Thank god they sorted it :D

Now lets go do it in Paris yahooooooooooooo :):D:):p:cool::pac::P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'll be going out to the local to watch this but if France score in the first 20 mins I will leaving to go home and cry :(

BUT, I don't know why but something is telling we may just pull it off :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

1-2

Trap to skid on his knees in victory and in the press conference afterwards, tell the doubters to suck it

Triple_H_Backlash.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

I forgot to mention....

Strong chance of one team seeing red in this return leg.... if that goes our way, we have a good shot at doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Samba wrote: »
    I forgot to mention....

Strong chance of one team seeing red in this return leg.... if that goes our way, we have a good shot at doing it.

Can you explain why theres a strong chance? There wasnt a booking in the first leg and thats when I'd expect Ireland to have been more aggressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'd like to see Best get a start along side Keane. Well, I'd prefer Folan, but he's injured isn't he?

Someone who can hassle and harass the French defence, put it about a bit. Doyle, though his work rate is great, is just too lightweight.

Also, if he's gonna bring on McGeady and / or Hunt, it needs to be a LOT earlier.

I thought our back 4 did OK on Saturday, but as per usual, its the middle of the park where all of our problems lie. Yes, they tackled and ran around like mad men for 45 minutes, but thats no use unless they can actually pass the ball to an Irish player.

We didn't deserve the loss on Saturday, and I really hope we can go hell for leather for an early goal tomorrow. That would put the shíts right up the French.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Can you explain why theres a strong chance? There wasnt a booking in the first leg and thats when I'd expect Ireland to have been more aggressive.

Well for one, the incident with Andrews and Diarra, secondly, there will be no more fear of picking up any further yellow cards that would result in a match ban.

More chances of yellow cards being flashed will ultimately increase the odds of a player seeing red. Lets hope it's a player wearing blue that sees it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I agree Samba, can see a red in this one.

If france score first, I could see it turning into something of a scrap and one of andrews or dunne to get sent off.
    If we score first, Ive dreamt that Lloris takes Keane down in the box 5 minutes after our first goal, gets sent off and keane puts it away...

Im gonna throw a double on France and more than 5 yellow cards though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

you'd have to say France are going to score at least one goal tomorrow, I can see them scoring 2 or 3, but I have a feeling we're going to score at least one tomorrow too.
    Overall though we're going out, but I hope I'm proved wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

from Henry's Winter's Twitter page:
    Moody strikers the talk of Paris. Charles de Gaulle hit by staff go-slow delaying Irish fans. Thierry Henry addressing nation on TV later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Samba wrote: »
    If we have any chance of winning this game or levelling up with France, we must do so within the first 60 minutes, or we need to swap to Duracell batteries.

I'd like to to see someone else started over Doyle, I was surprised to say the least that Jim Beglin gave him MOM.

Don't get me wrong, alot of respect for Kevin Doyle but he's the type of stirker that needs the ball played to his feet going through on goal, otherwise I can't see him making many chances for us. Granted, the service to the strikers is piss poor, I can't see that changing, so we need someone with a different style of play to Doyle, perhaps someone a little stronger in the air. (please make me eat my own words Kevin)

I just fear we will have a re-enactment of Saturday, Kevin Kilbane collects the ball, Kevin Kilbane with a long ball, makes a nice pass to France, France are on the attack... over and over and over and over again.

Trap, if you want to carry on with this long ball tactic I suggest you give Niall Quinn a ring. Otherwise it's time to to start thinking about getting one or two passes on the ground going coupled with long balls.

I was very impressed by Keane at getting on those long balls and he's not exactly a tall bloke, Doyle was barely able to get on to any of them, to add to this, I did not feel his attitude reflected his team mates. Give young enthusiastic Hunt a shot, at least you know he will give you 200%.

2-0 Unfortunately.

There is a glaringly obvious solution to the whole problem, but that has been done to death in another thread and up and down the country over the past few months too. I hate the thought of having to drop Kevin Doyle to accomodate our negative style but I think you might be right, Folan would be ideal given the predicament, Best? I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

eddiehead wrote: »
    Folan would be ideal given the predicament, Best? I'm not so sure.

Since Folan appeared on the Irish scene I've been a massive fan. He could have been the key to unlock the French defence in the first leg, such a pity he is injured. I thought Best had a similar style of play however he was terrible when introduced on Saturday.

I think Doyle had a great game on Saturday and is the better of the two strikers at present. Keane seems to be lacking something but I'm not sure exactly what it is???

Since Folan appeared on the Irish scene I've been a massive fan. He could have been the key to unlock the French defence in the first leg, such a pity he is injured. I thought Best had a similar style of play however he was terrible when introduced on Saturday.

I didn't think he did well either. But in fairness to the lad, he came on too late, and our midfield had lost all of its energy, so we barely had the ball, never mind trying to get it up to him.
    Keane seems to be lacking something but I'm not sure exactly what it is???

The ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Keane seems to be lacking something but I'm not sure exactly what it is???

Since he first popped up in football many have been saying that about Keane. Especially when it comes to Ireland. I'm not questioning his comittment or his goal scoring record but can't help but think back on all the times he has been extremely frustrating to watch.

Then again if he pulls off a goal tomorrow it'll be like Irl v Germany all over. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

lads I reckon we need a target man upfront and as Folan is injured, would it be ridiculous if its 0 - 0 with 30 mins or so to go to put Dunne upfront?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    lads I reckon we need a target man upfront and as Folan is injured, would it be ridiculous if its 0 - 0 with 30 mins or so to go to put Dunne upfront?

Dunne, jammy O'Shea, & St. Ledger TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Great to see that RTE have secured the rights. That'll save me from having to spend a few quid to watch it in the pub anyway.

I'm not really optimistic about though. I think we'll score but I can see France nicking a late winner. :(

But even if we don't get through we've always got Jedward. :rolleyes:

people here may laugh at the suggestion, but what is the alternative proposal, knock it long anyway and have it come straight back at us, atleast with a target man we have a game plan and options! at the moment we are hoping to get a slice of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Put my money last week on a French 3-0 win.

The incentive is too big and ramafications too large for them to fail. Its the same for both, but I think the outcome for France not going through is alot worse then Ireland.

I can see a quick French team out of the blocks knocking the lads off balance, and going 1-0,2-0 before half time.

All the guts and honest work, wont stop legs and minds getting tired from a vastly superior french midfield dominating possesion and tiring the irish team, to then finish of with a third goal.

Then hopefully afterwards, when the dust settles and we get over the " o **** we nearly made it" we can review the campaign and witness how we are paying huge money to a top national manager, so he can employ full backs launching long balls up to aerial inept strikers,

And hopefully they can spend the next dry spell between Euro qualifiers, to go out and trial and blood some creative midfielders and prepare a team for the Euros that has flare and attacking prowess, that will actually cause some fear on oppositions part.

France have not kept a clean sheet this campaign if I'm not mistaken, so its saying alot when I think they will tomorrow.

If I'm the French players, I know if we dont qualify, a new manager is coming in for the Euros and there will be a clean out and upheavel.

If I'm Henry and Anelka and Gallas, I'm wondering how many more international tournaments I've got in me.

Cant see a win, I'll be happy to just see good effort till the 90th minute, I'll be suprised to see a goal, I'll be thrilled to see intellegent football, I'll die of shock if we win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Idbatterim wrote: »
    people here may laugh at the suggestion, but what is the alternative proposal, knock it long anyway and have it come straight back at us, atleast with a target man we have a game plan and options! at the moment we are hoping to get a slice of luck!

I dunno. Knocking it long worked well against Italy away. We tried everything else and couldn't score but when Given knocked it long we got a goal from it. Having said that it won't work for 90 minutes of a match.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I dunno. Knocking it long worked well against Italy away. We tried everything else and couldn't score but when Given knocked it long we got a goal from it. Having said that it won't work for 90 minutes of a match.

Italy was against 10 men. Then we got 2-2 with them in a game Italy didn't really have to win, it wasn't make of break. They scored when they needed to quite easily.
    France have let in goals and not performed so great at home but this is a WORLD CUP PLAY OFF. They wont be messing around this time, they have far too much talent for us to put them out tomorrow. There's no point in saying Austria and Serbia scored there because they weren't Cup Final games like this. It's going to be painful to watch but France should get through comfortably.

• Advertisement

Im not suggesting do it from the off or at half time... But if it is still 0 -0 at sixty mins or latest 65 thats when the changes have to happen, not at 70 or 75 mins... I do believe the same approach as normal is correct and if we cant manage to go one up and take it from there, that the next best thing will be to keep it scoreless and then we will have to start taking gambles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Got to keep it tight early on.

Hoping against hope alright but Paris doesn't scare me under Trap at least - no where really does.

the thing is teams like this can step up when they need to. We just have to hope they can't "get into gear". I am sick of this talk of gears but it's relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

TheDoc wrote: »
    Put my money last week on a French 3-0 win.

France have not kept a clean sheet this campaign if I'm not mistaken, so its saying alot when I think they will tomorrow.

Do you see the issue there with your bet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

We need to adopt the approach we had in Bari after we went a goal down and throw Trapps cautious tactics out the window otherwise I cant see us going to the world cup. Cliche but we need to put em under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

redout wrote: »
    We need to adopt the approach we had in Bari after we went a goal down and throw Trapps cautious tactics out the window otherwise I cant see us going to the world cup. Cliche but we need to put em under pressure.

People keep saying this but we had an extra man. We probably wouldn't have managed it otherwise.

noodler wrote: »
    People keep saying this but we had an extra man. We probably wouldn't have managed it otherwise.

Aye, some truth in that. Much the same as Spain game at the 2002 world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

redout wrote: »
    Traps tactics are the reason we are 90 minutes (or 120) away from a world cup place.

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Traps tactics are the reason we are 90 minutes (or 120) away from a world cup place.

Or 90mins away from going out some would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Trap has done, so far, with one of the worst Irish squads in two decades almost exactly what Mick McCarthy did with much better players. But we payed Mick a hell of a lot less.
    No matter what happens tomorrow night I'd like to see Trap stay for the Euro's, he's earned it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement