Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

TheDoc wrote: »
    France have not kept a clean sheet this campaign if I'm not mistaken, so its saying alot when I think they will tomorrow.
    You are mistaken. They kept 4 clean sheets.

deisedevil wrote: »
    Trap has done, so far, with one of the worst Irish squads in two decades almost exactly what Mick McCarthy did with much better players. But we payed Mick a hell of a lot less.
    In fairness though, we're not paying all of Trap's wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I hope we can do it. We'll need to put away any chances we get and hold on tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'm just hoping, that if Lawrence gets another chance like Saturday, he smacks the ball with a bit more conviction.

If that was me in that position I would have put the French player through the net aswell.

In fairness, I thought Lawrence was one of the few bright lights, and HE deserved the MOTM award, not Doyle.

He constantly looked like a threat, skipped by players, passed well, crossed well. Hope he can do it again tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

TheDoc wrote: »
    Then hopefully afterwards, when the dust settles and we get over the " o **** we nearly made it" we can review the campaign and witness how we are paying huge money to a top national manager, so he can employ full backs launching long balls up to aerial inept strikers,

In by "We" you mean Dennis O' Brien surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm just hoping, that if Lawrence gets another chance like Saturday, he smacks the ball with a bit more conviction.

If that was me in that position I would have put the French player through the net aswell.

In fairness, I thought Lawrence was one of the few bright lights, and HE deserved the MOTM award, not Doyle.

He constantly looked like a threat, skipped by players, passed well, crossed well. Hope he can do it again tomorrow.

To be fair to him, hitting the target was his main objective and bar one of the best/luckiest bit of defending the ball would have the net. Lawerence did everything right, kept it down, hit it straight, fully expected the ball ot hit the back of the net.

I agree with you though he played well hope he produces the goods now for us tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

CCCP^ wrote: »
    In by "We" you mean Dennis O' Brien surely?

We as a nation hopefully.

I'm of the rather underwhelming opinion that us in with a shout to qualify is a good achievement for the country, when you take into consideration the factors surrounding us as a footballing nation.

I'm very much in the minority in alot of discussion had in pubs, houses friends etc, most feeling that Ireland should be qualifying for major tournaments, and failing is an embarrassment.

I think good work has been done with the current squad, and we are in with a shout. Its better then been done and dusted before we even go into a draw for the play offs.

I just think some things could be done better, and should be explored.

It wasnt so long ago we say John O Shea as the next Dennis Irwin, a footballing defender, it wasnt long ago he was skinning defenders and oncoming wingers, nutmegs and backheels.

I think he has more ability then instructions to launch long balls up field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Good moaning. I admit my Fronch cod be butter. We will boat them tomorrow. Good bee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

redout wrote: »
    Or 90mins away from going out some would say.

Or we might never have been in the position in the first place :rolleyes:

if we go over there and go hell for leather we will get slaughtered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i like the new sig Ntl.

and i agree with you that if we go there & try & play the french off the park, we'll get hammered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

ntlbell wrote: »
    Or we might never have been in the position in the first place :rolleyes:

if we go over there and go hell for leather we will get slaughtered.

Well we will never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Lawrence was one of the only players that was able to hang onto possession - he is almost MOTM by default.

Keith Andrews is **** but has a cannon of a shot, hopefully Trapper Tony will encourage him to go forward more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

2-1 Ireland after going 1-0 down. Going to be Epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Lawrence was one of the only players that was able to hang onto possession - he is almost MOTM by default.

Keith Andrews is **** but has a cannon of a shot, hopefully Trapper Tony will encourage him to go forward more.

Bit harsh, thought he completely outplayed Diarra for large parts of Saturdays match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

What needs to be done tomorrow evening in Paris is, Trap needs to let go of his defensive mind and have Ireland push that bit more up the field. Too many times in Croker when the wingers had the ball the midfield and backs were not pushing up enough into the opposition half. And what happened? We kept loosing the ball as there was no one to pass to or players making space. The French midfield were pushing up all night long. We HAVE to go at them in Paris if we have any chance of getting a goal or 2. They are beatable, but we have got to create more chances and pass the ball about a whole lot more.

CHD wrote: »
    2-1 Ireland after going 1-0 down. Going to be Epic.

I agree. We need to get 2 goals tomorrow. I know we can do it!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Like most people, I'm not confident that we can beat france in a football match. I think our best bet would be for the Diarra situation to spill over, and red cards being dished out to all and sundry.

I hope it doesn't pan out that way, but I think it could play to our advantage.....and a dive a la Gerrard, in the champions league final would help too!

When you think about it, we never get anywhere cause we're too fecking honest. Almost every other nation dives, play-acts and wastes time.

Time to join the party!

Dirty tactics for the win.

or failing that, a miracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

KungPao wrote: »
    When you think about it, we never get anywhere cause we're too fecking honest. Almost every other nation dives, play-acts and wastes time.
    Time to join the party!

Dirty tactics for the win.

or failing that, a miracle.

Lol seriously have you ever seen Damien Duff play football, he's going down before the fcukin kick off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

No doubt about Lawrence, I've been impressed with him since his first appearance but go easy on Andrews, while yes he has difficulty mainting possesion you cannot question his ability to break up midfield attacking play, he was collosal in that sense in the first half.

Andrews and Reid partnership would be interesting to see, with Andy Reid out right and Duff on the left could be a winner imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Bit harsh, thought he completely outplayed Diarra for large parts of Saturdays match.

You were watching a different match to me then, unfortunately. :( He put in a few well-timed tackles in the first half and the midfield battle was pretty even, but France had the ball for periods without a hint of pressure. Andrews tired in the second half as he nor Whelan don't have ability on the ball to take a breather - barely got a touch from the first minute of the second half until the French scored. Improved a bit after that, however the French were pretty happy with what they had.

It wasn't all his fault though. Trap's tactic of instructing the midfielders to drop so deep without the ball is bloody infuriating, especially when chasing a lead. I feel we need McGeady (for pace) if we want to play counter attacking.

[quote= Trap's tactic of instructing the midfielders to drop so deep without the ball is bloody infuriating, especially when chasing a lead. I feel we need McGeady (for pace) if we want to play counter attacking.[/quote]

Yeah, its desperate viewing alright. They should be going forward to help out the wingers but especially the forwards. Doyle rarely gets ball to feet unless he gets a pass from either Duff or the other winger. The midfield HAVE to push that bit further up the field to aid the strikers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think we can win this bloody thing. It's going to happen :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Anyone who thinks other than a France 2 or 3-0 win is completely in lunacy-land.

But, however, that is where football fans are most comfortable... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Lol seriously have you ever seen Damien Duff play football, he's going down before the fcukin kick off

Duffer is just a free-kick winning nuisance, who goes down a little easily.

We need some majestic Klinsman-esque wonder dives, complete with multi-roll dramatics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I think Hunt and Duff have to play for ultimate free-kick winning potential. Hunt has provided a few goals from set-pieces aswell.

We can do this. Come on lads!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

dfx- wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks other than a France 2 or 3-0 win is completely in lunacy-land.

But, however, that is where football fans are most comfortable... :)
    Yeah, cause France have been hopping off teams on their way to the PLAYOFFS.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Some things worth remembering here lads...
    - Only Portugal and the Netherlands (who played two games fewer than most other teams) allowed their opponents fewer shots on target on their goal during the group stages of qualification than France.

- France have lost only one of their 22 competitive matches at the Stade de France - 2-3 against Russia in May 1999.

- No European play-off two-legged tie has ever gone into extra time (Euros, World Cup).

- “Les Bleus” have not conceded a single goal in any of their last four matches against Ireland.

- Ireland have never won a competitive match in France (two defeats, one draw and only one goal scored).

- Only Argentina have managed to score more than one goal against France in 2009.

Make no mistake about it France are red hot favourites to progress. In saying that, it could have been worse in the first leg and if we were going there 2-0 down it really would be all but over.

I doubt we will do it but where there's a hope there's a chance. We need France to have the worst performance of their recent history and for Ireland to produce their best one. I think the first half will be crucial. If we can nick an early goal then it's all to play for but if we are sloppy and concede early then we will realistically only be playing for pride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Will not make me be any less enthusiastic in support of the lads at the match tomorrow though mate. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I agree with ya Nice Guy.

We HAVE to go for it, at least for the first 20 minutes, and get that goal - so someone actually shooting would help.

But, if we get that early goal, and the draw is then tied, I think we'd put the shíts up them TBH.

If we don;t get a goal early, or at the very least in the first half, I think our lads will be spent by half time again, and it will be a matter of running down the clock for the French.

I do think they will be looking for an early goal also, to kill the tie, and being optimistic, this could be exactly what we need, as they are prone to leaving lots of space in around their back 4 when they attack.

I'm gonna be stupidly optimistic.

0-1 at half time. 0-2 by 90 mins.

Come on you boys in Green!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I thought nil all would be the best possible result we were capable of in the home leg. The best possible result in the away leg? Nil all. I cannot see where we are going to score a goal from - apart from a R.Dunne header from a corner or an o.g. There is always hope, but if I was a betting man I wouldn't put a red cent on Ireland going through. sad but true. The Italian way will only get you so far, unless of course you are Italian, and we are not, simple. Another one nil loss is on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I thought nil all would be the best possible result we were capable of in the home leg. The best possible result in the away leg? Nil all. I cannot see where we are going to score a goal from - apart from a R.Dunne header from a corner or an o.g. There is always hope, but if I was a betting man I wouldn't put a red cent on Ireland going through. sad but true. The Italian way will only get you so far, unless of course you are Italian, and we are not, simple. Another one nil loss is on the cards.

Fukin Irishmen! ^

Have a little faith brother.

Faith says Keano just has to score ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Hopefully players like Whelan are angry at Diarra + co. and put that anger into their football and give the performance of their lives.Ya never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Ireland are'nt out of it yet. 1-0 to France first half and Keane and McGeady to bag one each in the second sending us through on away goals.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

its all about the luck tomorrow night....... we need either an early sending off (maybe Diarra!) or a defensive error (penalty or a bad defending leading to use nicking 1)

the odds are stacked against us but if we can get that early goal who knows how they'll react..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

It's funny, for some reason, since Saturday, it's felt like it was a one off match.

It only hit me this morning "Hang on, there's another leg. We're still in this."

And the more I think about it the more I think we're gonna do it.

Ireland on pens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Jeez, the way some people are talking on here you'd think that the score is 4-0 to France already.

It's only 1 goal(it was a lucky goal at that). We just need a bit of luck or a bit of magic from someone to even it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I dont agree with people saying we need an early goal, yes that would help, but its not essential.

If we were to go 1-0 up around the 60th min then the French would be at panic stations and the pressure would be emmense, then someone hoofs it long, Niall Quinn flicks it on and Robbie bundles it in off the Keeper's arm!!! Que the cart-wheels!

Sorry, might have gotten a bit carried away there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Some of these statistics are nice but that is the past, and are from small data samples. We do have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Once it not impossible you have to believe.
    We can Qualify, records are made to be broken. We are due to beat a big team.
    It'll be all about how we approach the game.

If our 2 wingers constantly track back and follow France's full backs they will continue to pour forward. We have to give France's full backs something to think about and every so often take a chance and Duff or Lawerence not follow them back and hope that their attack breaks down and maybe hit them or create a good chance that maybe they will think tice about coming forward next time.
    Our 2 full back need to get forward at every attempt. We need to double up on the wings so that we can create over laps and the opportunity to get decent balls into the box.
    Duff played Left back for Newcastle last year and this year, i think an option would have been to play him left back, McGeady left wing. Throw caution to the wind a little.
    We need to score, simple as that.
    Possibly Kilbane in the middle.
    Something different.
    Something different, give france something to think about

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Trappers - "Unchanged Team"
    Well he has the cojones!

Same here about the early goal - not essential. A late goal to take it to extra would be intense and I would be at the bar doing shots!

A win...ha well I'll be MIA from work untill next week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Are Rte showing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Are Rte showing this?
    Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Hopefully its 0-0 going to the 2nd half. That way France may just settle on there 1 nil lead and we can pile on the pressure and nick a late goal like in Bari or maybe even 2. Have to say, I wouldnt fancy us to win on pens.:mad::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I'm impressed by the optimism here. Not very Irish at all :p

This is football, so of course we can do it. I don't know if we will.

But sure fúck it, give it a lash, Trap :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

2 or 3 nil France. They'll score early. Trap will keep it the same. They'll score again Trap will keep it the same. They'll score again. Trap will keep it the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brianrcarney

Miracle before christmas leading to one of the best summers in a long time - re-make of the van summer - and we can all forget about the recession for a while ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

0-1 Rep.Ireland (R.Dunne 93rd min, towering header from set piece, smashing Lassana Diarra out of the way to get to it).

Then Shay Given with the winning peno after saving Lassana Diarra's peno.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Dave! wrote: »
    Yes
    Thanks, what time is k/o?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brianrcarney

7.20 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

0-0 at half time. Us to start going for it 10 minutes before the end. Anelka to score on the break.

1-0 France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I have heard from a lot of people over the last few days, since the saturday match, some even before that, that have said that we can not win. And I have always asked, why not?

So what if we are 1-0 down? So what if the statistics say that the probality of Ireland beating France on home soil is unlikely? FIFA will be expecting the French to beat us on Wednesday. So yes, the odds are stacked against us and yes it won't be easy, but I think this gives us all the more reason to prove those who doubht us wrong and put in a performace that will defy all odds.

I believe in Trappatoni. Sure I haven't agreed with some of the decisions he has made in the past, but I trust him. I believe in the backroom staff and I believe in the Irish players to give it their absoulute best on Wednesday.

Determination and belief are key. If we have these, who's to say we can't do it.
    If we win on Wednesday we will have deserved our place in the world cup. And a win on Wednesday, despite those who say it can't happen, will be all the sweeter for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement