Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Are you bovvered... Yes.
    Are you real Irishman......I doubt it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

anyone else hear dunphy say henry should have put his hand up (no pun intended) and say "i handballed that"? like any player is ever going to do that dunpho! bloody good game lads, well done. i can put pure fault on the games overlords for the result, get in video technology, an official behind each goal, something! this kind of thing cannot happen again, especially in a game of this magnitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

It was the way he celebrated like a madman afterwards that sickened me, as if his blatant breaking of the rules was something worthy of the crowd's adulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Video ref, post match disciplinary action.

If there is a claim of handball, in a goal scenario there should be a video confirmation, it was off-side too ffs.

The players boots and the ball are more modern than the implementation of the rules. They may as well use voodoo bones to judge cases of off-side and hand ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

"If Robbie Keane did the same.................."

"If Kevin Doyle did the same...................."

If my auntie had testicles she'd be my uncle!

The fact of the matter is it WASN'T the other way around. It was cheating and whether or not it was anyone else in that situation it doesn't change the fact that it was cheating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Just read that they didn't show the replay of the goal in the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Instant replay + 4th official = Referee disallowing the goal

Its FIFA's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

I blame that commentator. He was saying around the 80 minute mark how he didnt want to put a jinx on things. Well thanks you did it again you a$$hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Mmcd wrote: »
    Are you real Irishman......I doubt it!

Yeah born in Dublin, father was born in Dublin, Grandad, Great Grandad etc born in Dublin.

I also like to have a bit of a joke, people are getting wound up on a forum that nobody with any say in anything FAI, Fifa, Henry whoever are not going going to read. I don't see why people are getting so annoyed its over, the goal was given nothing is going to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Really dont want to get into this now but he didnt do too much wrong tonight.

Everyone who played battled their hearts out.

Exactly. Its not his fault he was picked, did his best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Yeah point taken...............But i didn't see Keane or any other player for a matter of fact cheat to try win tonight??????? Bit of a silly comment i think.

Really?

Keane handled the ball on four occasions and exclaimed his innocence yet he handled it on each occasion.

You are right though, it's not just the officials that are to blame....

But we are too, for not putting the chances we had away.

All i can I say is... Thank you, to every single player on that team for the performace they put in tonight, they did their country proud and I honestly believe that over the two legs, we truly were the better team and we deserved to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

France won through to the World Cup finals in highly dubious circumstances on Wednesday evening, and head coach Raymond Domenech has confessed that he is just glad that they’ve managed to negotiate their play-off tie with the Republic of Ireland safely.

Having gone down 1-0 in normal time due to a Robbie Keane strike, les Bleus eventually snatched a decisive goal in the first half of extra-time. William Gallas’ effort, however, was laced with controversy as Thierry Henry clearly controlled the ball with his hand before centring for the Arsenal centre-back to score.

Ireland dominated the bulk of regulation time, and Domenech hinted that he felt his side were second best for long periods of the match.

“This game was laborious at times, at times miraculous, but I'm happy in the end,” the coach explained to TF1 at the conclusion of the game.

“All those who love French football are happy to have participated in this. It's great.

“My prediction was 1-1, I was sure we would qualify. Now, let me enjoy it, let me enjoy it. Let the people who love the French team enjoy it. We have nine months to prepare for South Africa.”

Domenech was not questioned on the nature of Henry’s decisive strike, but doubtless such posers will be asked in the coming days.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2009/11/18/1632899/raymond-domenech-i-was-always-confident-france-would-reach

Unbelievable

illumin wrote: »
    gutted even more so as i should be there :(
    i dunno how fifa will broach this issue although i hope henry comes out and says hes sorry

whats the point :) he wont mean it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

If anything this will be a strong example calling for the inclusion of the 4th official and video decisions, its been called for long enough now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,271 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't know why everyone is talking about Henry handling the ball, THERE WERE PLAYERS OFFSIDE AS THE BLOODY KICK WAS TAKEN!!!!!!!:mad: It is one thing to miss the handball but how the hell do you miss that?!!!!!! Disgusting. The officials should be ashamed for definate, the French team and Henry slightly less so with the handball. It looked like a cynical handball to me but now that my anger has cooled slightly I won't wish any harm on Henry but I hope they lose all their games next summer and crash out to a similar handball decision. Very happy with the Irish performance, they gave the French a right game!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

redout wrote: »
    Not a mention of the handball in the Fifa article :rolleyes:

Mr Blatter take a bow.

I registered an account just to post an angry comment about the article. No doubt it won't get passed the Moderator though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Lads, I had something written out but just deleted it, we all know the story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

FIFA are happy tonight travesty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

super-rush wrote: »
    Instant replay + 4th official = Referee disallowing the goal

Its FIFA's fault.

Totally agree with this one, yes Henry handled the ball it was a reaction most players would have the ball drops over the top of a player split second reaction and its done. The above solution solves the problem . It happens in other sports just look at the kind of stuff that goes on in rugby union, players nearly losing there eyes from gauging ... Its a really bitter pill to swallow and Henry is at fault but ultimatley Fifa have to aid the officials. These are major major sporting decisions its unreal it can still go so wrong...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

_46754164_keane_andrews_466.jpg

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Giles is a disgrace, glad he is being put in his place

whats he saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Ha Ha classic, i loved the music for the RTE end titles "i did it my way"!!!

And is it just me or was there car alarms going mad during the trap interview, wasnt car horns it was alarms, i hope theirish ain't going on a rampage, not like us anyways! maybe they seen henry, lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Lads ireland may well have lost, 1-0 was not enough we were heading for pens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Never buying a gillette razor again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

18/11/2009 THE NIGHT IRELAND WERE ROBBED OF A PLACE IN THE WORLD CUP. A WORLD CUP THAT WE WERE NEVER WANTED IN BY FIFA. FIFA AN ORGANISATION WHO CHANGED THE RULES TO ENSURE THAT THE 'SO CALLED' BIGGER NATIONS GET TO THE WORLD CUP, FOOTBALL IS EVER INCREASINGLY MOVING AWAY FROM 'THE BEAUTIFUL GAME' AND BECOMING A MONEY GRABBING BUSINESS DOMINATED BY GREED

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

This is complete bull****.....

The most sickening thing about football..... every team...... cheating is part of the game.
    It really is sickening.cos every player on that pitch knows they would have done the same thing..... its always been there but I've just woken up to the real consequences of this ****e game and its cheating philosophy, I don't think it can ever be changed, you can see by the reaction of the Irish players, they think its fair game.

All football fans need to wake.

i think you need too wake up ,cheating is crap,pli=us all the diving by the french tonight,i think video ref should be brought in too stop cheating like waht french did too night,i wont be supporting french in work cup
    i would say your french
    maybe in france cheating is part of french game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yeah point taken...............But i didn't see Keane or any other Ireland player for a matter of fact cheat to try win tonight??????? Bit of a silly comment i think.

Really,Keane had about 4 handballs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sick... as... a... dog...

Very dignified and honest interviews with Doyler, Kilbane, Tardelli and Trap after the match

Trap is indicating that he'll be here for the Euros, says if we keep the same mentality going forward we'll go far.

God I'm so disappointed, but what can ya do :(

BTW pretty much everyone in an Irish shirt tonight was amazing.

Special mention to Keith Andrews and Richie Dunne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

I'm slick lads, just sick. Feel numb.

Has Henry been interviewed..?

• Advertisement

Never buying a gillette Razor again after this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Yeah point taken...............But i didn't see Keane or any other Ireland player for a matter of fact cheat to try win tonight??????? Bit of a silly comment i think.

Keane handled the ball twice tonight, and when the ref called him on it he protested his innocence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Leave Henry alone. If Keane done the same he'd be a legend. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

I found the problem there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Very disappointed but .....

we are as good as Italy and France, the finalists in the last World Cup.

FIFA can have my video if they like. I don't use it much these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Reading some of the replies in here are like reading ross o caroll kellys dad in the book.

No one is defending what henry did, But if it was duff who done it everyone would be laughing their way to south africa right now. Thats a hard fact there. As much now as we've been defeated everyone would like to SAY they would be taking the moral highground. They would not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

"France skipper Thierry Henry won the match for the hosts when his angled pass amid a goalmouth scramble was met by the head of Wiliam Gallas. The goal enabled France to qualify and avoid a repeat of their humiliating failure, at the hands of Bulgaria, to qualify for the 1994 FIFA World Cup finals."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Iago wrote: »

There's not one of you here that wouldn't be crowing if that goal was scored by Ireland to put us through to the world cup so get down off your high horses.

Well I think that's highly subjective to say the least... i don't think any sports fan, myself included would celebrate a win achieved by dishonest means, so high horses/moderators or not I think posters & fans alike have a right to voice their displeasure at what happened tonight....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

No mention at all of hand ball in the fifa.com match report :rolleyes:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1136804.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Reading some of the replies in here are like reading ross o caroll kellys dad in the book.

No one is defending what henry did, But if it was duff who done it everyone would be laughing their way to south africa right now. Thats a hard fact there. As much now as we've been defeated everyone would like to SAY they would be taking the moral highground. They would not

Cheating is cheating.

Thats the most pathetic justification for an argument that exists.

Damien Duff and Kevin Kilbane dive. We know that. Did they ever blatantly handle a goal in a world cup play off. ABSOLUTELY NOT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Heads should roll at Fifa over this. They were out to screw the smaller nations from the outset. They only decided to seed the play offs when it looked as if France and Portugal might not make it. If you watch the goal in slo mo you can see the linesman looking directly at Henry as he handled it. He had an absolutely clear view of it.
    Fifa have already brushed it under the carpet with their half arsed match report. 'Angled pass' my boll0x.
    I'd love to see Blatter or Platini try justify Frances inclusion in the world cup now.
    Abolute f#cking disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

I'm just completely sick to my stomach that this has happened.

The honest effort that Ireland showed tonight was fantastic. They played an absolute stormer.

This shouldn't have happened and it's just saddening to think that such a great team who deserved this have been robbed of glory.

• Advertisement

sternn wrote: »
    "France skipper Thierry Henry won the match for the hosts when his angled pass amid a goalmouth scramble was met by the head of Wiliam Gallas. The goal enabled France to qualify and avoid a repeat of their humiliating failure, at the hands of Bulgaria, to qualify for the 1994 FIFA World Cup finals."
    To be fair FIFA would say that wouldn't they. They are not going to put their hands up and admit Henry handled the ball twice before "squaring" the ball for goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Gutted for the players, you done your country proud for what its worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Wreck wrote: »
    Keane handled the ball twice tonight, and when the ref called him on it he protested his innocence.

Just looked at them again he was more protesting it was accidental and was pushed in the process

orourkeda wrote: »
    Cheating is cheating.

Thats the most pathetic justification for an argument that exists.

Damien Duff and Kevin Kilbane dive. We know that. Did they ever blatantly handle a goal in a world cup play off. ABSOLUTELY NOT

Have they ever been put in that place ? You can't judge a measure of a man without placing him in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

not as funny as when maradona done it is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

SDTimeout wrote: »

Bullsh*t.

I recall in one of the qualifiers, think it might have been against Georgia, when we got a penalty awarded that we never should have got, which helped us take all 3 points, and most people acknowledged it for the joke decision that it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

plus ireland choked they had all the posession and all the chances and couldnt seal the game. nothing to be happy about im afraid

lol at this http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Irish-hate-Thierry-Henry-the-cheat/215531572576?ref=search&sid=547288929.4148453833..1#/pages/We-Irish-hate-Thierry-Henry-the-cheat/215531572576?v=photos&ref=search

Imo this kind of stuff is over the top - the linesman is to blame or the ref. if i was in henrys position i would have done the same, altho he did touch the ball like a pro basketball player :)

Bullsh*t.

I recall in one of the qualifiers, think it might have been against Georgia, when we got a penalty awarded that we never should have got, which helped us take all 3 points, and most people acknowledged it for the joke decision that it was.

Again take the circumstance into it. Georgia in the group or France on the cusp of a spot in the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Ive lost all respect for Henry as a man and as a player. I hope in years to come his legacy will forever be blighted by this moment. All time great my Ar$e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement