Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Again take the circumstance into it. Georgia in the group or France on the cusp of a spot in the world cup.

ye, we wuda finished 2nd anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Keith Andrews soared in my estimations tonight.

Trap's tactic of instructing the midfield to drop so deep in every other game seems unjustified now. Hopefully he'll show more in the players and we'll be able to blood the likes of Chris McCann and James McCarthy (hopefully) and Andy Reid (please please please) might be back.

Robbie Keane and Damien Duff are Irish football legends and please God/Allah/whatever we'll be able to replace them when they are over the hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Can I say that it shouldn't be all about the handball. we completely played them off the pitch tonight. how many more chances did we need. we should have easily beaten them and not even needed extra-time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

j1smithy wrote: »
    not as funny as when maradona done it is it?

No, not as funnty as that. But then again, Maradona did score the 1st/2nd greatest goal of all time in the same match and Argentina fully deserved to win in 1986.

Rob113 wrote: »
    Ive lost all respect for Henry as a man and as a player. I hope in years to come his legacy will forever be blighted by this moment. All time great my Ar$e.

No. Seriously people, the problem was the referee and linesman, they fcuked up.

Henry did what any other player would have done, it was instintive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Never buying a gillette Razor again after this

maybe philips :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

Ive lost all respect for Henry as a man and as a player. I hope in years to come his legacy will forever be blighted by this moment. All time great my Ar$e.

get over yourself, keane handled the ball 3 or 4 times and you dont seem to have lost respect for him.

lmao - legacy ruined by that? come back down from cloud 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

plus ireland choked they had all the posession and all the chances and couldnt seal the game. nothing to be happy about im afraid

You don't have a clue. Ireland were fantastic, played a great game away in Paris against one of the best squads in the world. And were cheated by a hand ball! If you think Ireland choked, you're an idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Not the first time we had got an unfair decision go against us against the French. Seem to remember Frank Stapleton having a perfectly good goal disallowed in the early eighties and that cost us qualification too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

nuxxx wrote: »
    No. Seriously people, the problem was the referee and linesman, they fcuked up.

Henry did what any other player would have done, it was instintive

I disagree. First touch with the hand was instinctive. Second was blatant cheating. The way he celebrated after it just cemented it. Absolutely no remorse / Class / dignity.

maybe video ref be considered by fifa some time in future to stop things like this happening again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

cheatin BA STA RD - fcukin athlete got his gold medal taken off him for less

should he banned - and if he steps foot in ballyfermot ever he' s gonna fcukin get it

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Players are players. Henry's job was to get France to the World Cup, he did, unjust or not he did his job.

The referee and assistant did not do their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

get over yourself, keane handled the ball 3 or 4 times and you dont seem to have lost respect for him.

lmao - legacy ruined by that? come back down from cloud 9

Your so so so wrong with everything your saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

not as funny as when maradona done it is it?

this wasnt in a world cup qualifier tho slightly more at stake.

and it wasnt as obvious

are you saying it was funny because it was against england?

• Advertisement

I disagree. First touch with the hand was instinctive. Second was blatant cheating. The way he celebrated after it just cemented it. Absolutely no remorse / Class / dignity.

Alright i agree in a way tbh :)

Im just gutted and these cans arent helping :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

Quint wrote: »
    You don't have a clue. Ireland were fantastic, played a great game away in Paris against one of the best squads in the world. And were cheated by a hand ball! If you think Ireland choked, you're an idiot

and france were cheated out of a penalty, given should have saw red. if it was the other way around there would be all out war here.
    people here need to take their green tinted blinkers off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

Brutal way to go out but I think Henry reacted the way the majority of players would . The ball dropped over the top and in a split second the foul was commited. The lack of a video referee cost us , Fifa are an absolute joke .How such major decisions can be gotten wrong is a disgrace. Other sporting bodies must be laughing at them. Look at rugby union, lads milling each other for 80 minutes and nothing gets missed and proper bans are dished out for anyone that misbehaves. Gutted we are out but I think the slatting Henry will get is unjust .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

plus ireland choked they had all the posession and all the chances and couldnt seal the game. nothing to be happy about im afraid

What the **** are you on about? Go and do one good lad its clear your football knowledge is lacking with a statement like that.

Bloody proud of the way our team played tonight. We can play when we want. Absolutely gutted the way it all ended and I suppose its worse that I was optimistic going into this game.

Fair play to each and everyone of those players they did the whole country proud. The way in which we went out is awful and it makes me angry thinking about it.

Fact is you cant blame Henry, any player would do the same thing as its pure instinct. The linesman especially though was disgraceful. He had a perfect view of it.

Fifa got the result they wanted. I just feel so sorry for our players tonight.

Proud and angry sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

and france were cheated out of a penalty, given should have saw red. if it was the other way around there would be all out war here.

Are u blind?!...nic the pric* dived

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

evil_seed wrote: »
    Can I say that it shouldn't be all about the handball. we completely played them off the pitch tonight. how many more chances did we need. we should have easily beaten them and not even needed extra-time.

You see thats a football way of looking at it and I agree with you. Absolutely gutted for our boys though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

well done Ireland played their hearts out pity we didnt win :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

RUBBISH!!!!

That was no penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Wreck wrote: »
    Keane handled the ball twice tonight, and when the ref called him on it he protested his innocence.

Twice??

I counted at least 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Just back now from the pub.
    I'm so proud of our players tonight. There is something rotten at the core of football. I've never experienced such a low moment in my life so far from watching a game of football.
    It takes away from the game in general, the real victim of tonights result is the game itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

yJiPD.png

Stick it over the bar! Oh no wait...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bitterly disappointed to lose in that fashion. We were the better team for the majority, and were unlucky not to finish it off. Henry's goal was a disgrace from a football point of view. I'm not gonna curse him, as it was something that is easily done, and he didnt go in there thinking he was going to handball it. The ref and linesman need to be punished for this though. Fifa can claim all they want that Ref's and Linesmen are enough to fairly control/officiate a game, but we have clearly seen, time and time again, that thats simply not true.

All in all, we should be damn proud of the players today. Everyone of them went out there and gave 100%, and then some. A lot of people had written them off before the match started, but they showed that they can raise their game. Now we need to start looking forward, and raising the bar of every game we play.

I feel really sorry for the likes of Dunne, Kilbane, Duff and Keane, who only for a blatant handball, would now be going to the World Cup. They wont ever get that chance again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Thierry Henry cheated by intentionally handling the ball in the box. He's on the plane to the World Cup.
    Robbie Keane cheated by intentionally handling the ball in the box. He's not on the plane to the World Cup.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Sorry in all the anger i forgot to mention how proud i was of every Irish player on the pitch tonight. I thought they were outstanding every one of them. Makes it all the harder to accept that decision though.

• Advertisement

I'm a bit confused here. How is instinct to trap ball with your hand. They don't teach that in training as far as i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It appears Thierry Henry's visit to Croke Park led him to pick up some of the skills of the type of football that is normally played there.

podge018 wrote: »
    Thierry Henry cheated by intentionally handling the ball in the box. He's on the plane to the World Cup.
    Robbie Keane cheated by intentionally handling the ball in the box. He's not on the plane to the World Cup.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

hate the officials :)

with video replay we wud be watching given taken the winning penalty at 12-11 xD

Nothing to do with Video replay. Linesman must have seen Henry handle the ball. But chose to ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Does anybody else feel a bit meh towards next summers world cup. It will be tough to watch it knowing what could of been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Lads I recommend you continue to voice your complaints and voice how you feel about the injustice here
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055744215

Read the thread and you will know what to do.

Did RTE show the match live? I watched on Sky as it wasnt listed on the Sky TV guide as been shown on RTE. I seen other posters giving out about Giles / Dunphy. What was their take on the game?

i see hernry hand ball made it too you tube already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

Frisbee wrote: »
    You see them given everywhere week. Delighted we got away with it

doesn't make it right......:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

the team did themselves and the country proud tonight with their attitude and their display.

Just a couple of points to make

Anelka's penalty claim was correctly turned down and he probably should have been booked for it in all fairness

How Lassana Diarra got away with so many fouls without a card is beyond me

We should have scored on more then one occasion ourselves and the game probably should have been put to bed by the time France scored

Henry, although it is unforgivable, his actions are understandable, he was doing everything he could to get France through, yes, he cheated, but it is the fault of the officials that he got away with it, his celebrating is hard to take, but you have to remember that he pretty much made sure France qualified for the World Cup and was elated at that, surely you can understand that? the celebration is instinctive, like the first hand movement to the ball, the second one is not defensible in any way and it was sad to see

The squad depth is another issue, why the hell does Paul Mcshane get to play for Ireland regardless of who is injured? they said it best in the Rte studio when they said Mcshane is a mistake waiting to happen, he always is

Gibson playing was also a mistake imo, he is not experienced enough at first team level to be involved in such a high pressure game, the lack of options hurt us in the end also

The referee, despite that incident and allowing Diarra away with so many cynical fouls, had a pretty decent game overall and any suggestions of rigging or bias is bull****

Edit: Dont feed the trolls lads, they dont deserve the attention
    I am gutted with this as everyone else is, but hopefully it will be a reminder that this team can play football when they are allowed and if we approach our future competitions like we did this game we will be at the European Championships

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

If only we'd done the business at home on Saturday :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

Flukey wrote: »
    It appears Thierry Henry's visit to Croke Park led him to pick up some of the skills of the type of football that is normally played there.

Yeah "skill" :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think the main issue smithy is between cheating and fouling,
    A hand ball isn't necessarily cheating but is most of the time a foul however, puposefully handling the ball to gain an advantage is unfair and as such cheating, to celebrate afterwards in the manner he did would also fall into the category of simulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Just going to throw my opinion in here, didn't read all of the thread so dont know what has been said already.

After watching the match tonight I can safely say I am proud to be Irish, they gave it everything tonight out there on the pitch - genuinly I could not have asked for any more effort from each of those players. The fans sounded fantastic too on the telly, looks like a big group made their way over to support the lads, so fair play to them also. But our lads played with their hearts on their sleeves, gave it 100% till the very end, played above my expectations anyway, also we played fair. A true Irish performance in my eyes. Despite us not progressing, there are plenty of positives to take from that performance, none more so than the fact we wanted it so badly and down to that alone we matched (even bettered) the French tonight, a country with a list as long as my arm full of top class players.
    So fair play boys.

On the Henry handball, obviously no Irish person can be happy about it and I'm no different. But I am not going to hold it against Henry, at the end of the day though he is his national sides captain, anyone who has played sport before I'm sure has said to themselves before a big match "I would do anything to win tonight", and I doubt Henry is any different, only difference being he actually did do that "anything" with his handball. Im not for cheating by any means, I fully believe every game should be played in fair play, but when it comes down to such a big game with such a big prize for winning, it does come to the stage where anything should be done to win, I know I for one would have done the same given the chance and a lot of other people probably would too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

papagormo wrote: »
    i can put pure fault on the games overlords for the result, get in video technology, an official behind each goal, something! this kind of thing cannot happen again, especially in a game of this magnitude.

Happily,modern technology makes it easy to express opinions to the overlords :)http://www.fifa.com/contact/form.html

Totally sick about the result. What a performance by the Irish though. I was gutted for all the players tonight, poor Duffer was in bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055744215

Please read this thread and voice your complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A reminder that calling someone a troll is against the charter.

There will be infractions for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

kryogen wrote: »
    why the hell does Paul Mcshane get to play for Ireland regardless of who is injured? they said it best in the Rte studio when they said Mcshane is a mistake waiting to happen, he always is

Correct. I made this very point in another thread. McShane can't be abdicated completely in all of this. His hapless attempt at attacking the ball left the ball come in to Henry's path. That is in no way to defend Henry's actions because they are beyond reproach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Just back now from the pub.
    I'm so proud of our players tonight. There is something rotten at the core of football. I've never experienced such a low moment in my life so far from watching a game of football.
    It takes away from the game in general, the real victim of tonights result is the game itself.
    Spot On... It seems anything is fair game as long as you get the win, even the comments of Doyle and St. ledger show this, they accept it as part of the game and blamed the ref for allowing it rather than criticising Henry for blatant cheating. Sad reflection of the sport really and someting that is only going to get worse until proper policing/punishments are put in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

mayordenis wrote: »
    I think the main issue smithy is between cheating and fouling,
    A hand ball isn't necessarily cheating but is most of the time a foul however, puposefully handling the ball to gain an advantage is unfair and as such cheating, to celebrate afterwards in the manner he did would also fall into the category of simulation.

i think u might need a dictionary

• Advertisement
Advertisement