Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd love to know what Henry was saying to Dunne when he sat down beside him after the game.

I'd like to think he was apologising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Time for the video ref

It didn't happen to France so nothing will be said of it.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I had a laugh when henry said to kilbane something along the lines of

"it just hit my hand" making out it was accidental
    cheating of the highest order and doesnt have the balls to admit it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Rob113 wrote: »
    Apologies. Let the moment get to me. I find it very frustrating though that he was allowed to continue for so long without being reprimanded.

He has been

Report the posts and we'll do the rest. Hard to monitor a few hundred people's posts at once.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

john47832 wrote: »
    i think u might need a dictionary

Firstly hand ball won't show up in the dictionary,
    secondly a foul isn't cheating automatically. The intention, and the attempt to leverage an advantage unfairly is what makes it cheating.

So honestly respond and clarify your point please.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Kevin Kilbane and Shay Given attend the unveiling of France's new strip :pac:

Republic-of-Ireland-001.jpg

Ultimately Ireland didn't go out because of it, but the only person to blame for the handball is Henry - not the linesman or referee. Best analogy so far is if I shoot someone, the police are not to blame for not stopping me..

Hopefully the advertising revenues will settle Henry's mind in the long term after the initial euphoria of getting his team through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

was weird too see henry sitting straight away after game beside dunne,maybe there was alittle guilt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'd love to know what Henry was saying to Dunne when he sat down beside him after the game.

Thats what i thought too, and to be honest it's not too far fetched to think thats what he was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

McShane is a horrific player, would have rathered Stephen Kelly by a country mile. Alas..... *sighs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Frisbee wrote: »

didnt Doyle say he didnt actually apologise?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Sick sick sick way to lose. Really didn't think I could leave the pub disappointed when I went in tonight, because I had no expectations, but to lose in that manner was heartbreaking. Well done Ireland, disgrace that players like Duff (MoM tonight imo, Given and Dunne aren't going to play the WC) when a team like New Zealand qualifies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Aidric wrote: »
    Correct. I made this very point in another thread. McShane can't be abdicated completely in all of this. His hapless attempt at attacking the ball left the ball come in to Henry's path. That is in no way to defend Henry's actions because they are beyond reproach.

Thierry Henry still had to handle the TWICE and pass it to William Gasbag before it was a goal.

PAUL MCSHANE DIDNT CHEAT EITHER

I was sure they were going to do it. Their performance was super and at least they can hold their heads high unlike some people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Headshot wrote: »
    I had a laugh when henry said to kilbane something along the lines of

"it just hit my hand" making out it was accidental
    cheating of the highest order and doesnt have the balls to admit it

Plenty of stuff week in week out and you will never hear anyone admit it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

All Irish Arsenal fans should burn their old Henry jerseys or send them to Fifa in protest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

And that's why i haven't watched an Ireland match since they lost to macedonia

why.? please explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

McShane an honest defender. Henry a dishonest attacker. Simple enough really.

McShane is a horrific player, would have rathered Stephen Kelly by a country mile. Alas..... *sighs*

Absolutely not his fault.

I agree in that I dont believe to be a player good enough to play at international level but there wasnt one irish player that didnt play superbly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

All Irish Arsenal fans should burn their old Henry jerseys or send them to Fifa in protest

Why exactly?
    Maradona is seen as a hero in certain countries outside of Argentina for what he did in 1986. It always gets a good laugh when mentioned in Ireland because of who the opposition was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

On a side note, if anyone is interested in what the French media have to say about it, my Dad was listenting to French radio and this is the summary he gave:

'Shameful' and 'Inglorious' were the two words they used to describe their victory.

They also said that this is going to travel around the world and Henry is going to go down in many people's estimation. Ireland were the better team. And they said that they can't see France getting to the 2nd round the way they were playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

Why? The man was a legend for us.

Yes I hate him right now, but what he did has nothing to do with Arsenal. Especially since he doesn't play for them even...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

dfx- wrote: »

Ultimately Ireland didn't go out because of it

QFT.

Have people forgot that we lost 1-0 on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

didnt Doyle say he didnt actually apologise?

He said he didn't apologise to him personaly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

I said the same to the missus as soon as i seeing him getting ready to come on. I just feared the worst straight away. Id even prefer to have someone like Alex Bruce in the squad as back up. Not the most skillful player but he would have attacked the ball and got it clear at least. Steve Carr and Steve Finnan are both back playing in the prem. Why werent they called in as back up at least.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Plenty of stuff week in week out and you will never hear anyone admit it

Is that supposed to make it OK. Are world cup play offs played every week.

Please dont try to justify cheating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

The "Robbie Keane doesn't score in the big games" merchants can officially crawl back under their stones. One of the greatest players in Irish football history, deserves to get to more than one tournament in his career. :(

Roy Curtis of the Sunday World will have nowt to write about now! :)

Rob113 wrote: »
    I said the same to the missus as soon as i seeing him getting ready to come on. I just feared the worst straight away. Id even prefer to have someone like Alex Bruce in the squad as back up. Not the most skillful player but he would have attacked the ball and got it clear at least. Steve Carr and Steve Finnan are both back playing in the prem. Why werent they called in as back up at least.

Because they both retired from international football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Melion wrote: »
    Maradona is seen as a hero in certain countries outside of Argentina for what he did in 1986. It always gets a good laugh when mentioned in Ireland because of who the opposition was.

This does sicken me. Its a horrible thing to happen when you feel so cheated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Melion wrote: »
    Why exactly?

Very true. So it was nice to see all the english fellows ringing in to you're on skysports tonight saying how gutted they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Have to say 15,000 Irish fans were awesome tonight and if they had of been English, Paris would be a war zone by now :D

The "Robbie Keane doesn't score in the big games" merchants can officially crawl back under their stones. One of the greatest players in Irish football history, deserves to get to more than one tournament in his career. :(

He wont as long as Thierry keeps cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Dunne and Henry are friends I think. I noticed a friendship like behaviour between them before.

I'd say Dunne deep down understood why Henry did it. Nearly most all professionals would try it and run the risk of a yellow card.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

To think lads. Everytime you turn on the telly there will be Henry on the Gillette Advert to remind you of that hand goal from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

All I wanna say is that I am so proud of the irish lads on the field tonight. F*ckin immense.

we'll rise again. As hard as it is to take these low moments make the highs even better when they come around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

McShane an honest defender. Henry a dishonest attacker. Simple enough really.

an honest defender who is happy to let a ball drop in the 6 yard box in that situation? come on, he is not good enough for the team and shouldnt be defended here, if he had just dealt with the ball in there would be no **** storm about the cheating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,046 ✭✭✭✭Basq

14637124987277443614579.jpg

.. that's all from me for the night lads!

Ah well... hugely enjoyable game. The best I've seen the Ireland team play in years.. and although it was an absolutely horrible way to go out, we can all admit the lads played their fecking arses off out there.

And I, like many others tonight, am proud of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Then they send them all to Africa and be seen giving to charity. Then all them Oxfam ad's will have kids in Henry jersey's. Not going to do anything at all.

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Have to say 15,000 Irish fans were awesome tonight and if they had of been English, Paris would be a war zone by now :D

If the english fans had reacted that way I wouldnt blame them to be honest.

The fact that they werent there makes this look like a cheap shot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It'll be a while before I am over this. Anger, disgust, disappointment, pride...I'm feeling them all right now.

I'm not looking forward to waking up and remembering tonight.

EDIT: But I cannot wait for Euro2012 qualifiers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Henry is no cheat.

The ball was there, he handled it and they scored - end of.

Doyle said he tried it and got away it with and so be it.

Fault lies with the officials.

kenon wrote: »
    Dunne and Henry are friends I think. I noticed a friendship like behaviour between them before.

I'd say Dunne deep down understood why Henry did it. Nearly most all professionals would try it and run the risk of a yellow card.

Proof positive that professional has lost its soul. Professionals prepared to cheat each other makes for grim reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I feel so sorry for Keane & Duff especially, they're gonna have nightmares for months over the chances they missed.

Great bloody effort by the lads though, all 13 that played tonight.

FIFA really need to look at the refereeing of games, its well beyond a joke that a player can get away with something like that in this day and age.

I don't blame Henry, I'd bloomin' well do it myself if it meant getting my team to the World Cup. I'd throw the ball into the net if I thought I'd get away with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Henry is no cheat.

?

I'm going to bed.

I feel so sorry for Keane & Duff especially, they're gonna have nightmares for months over the chances they missed.

And Doyle.

His header was a much easier chance than Keane's

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bigdaddyliamo

well the ref did manage to spot ALL Keane's handballs...poor stuff all round and shame on Henry:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

Henry is no cheat.

**** OFF!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Henry is no cheat.

Whatever, if I murder someone and get away with it I don't have a morally clean slate.
    Slight hyperbole but you get the picture, it was a very direct act of cheating.

Henry is no cheat.

Henry got away with it. Which does not change anything. Still his fault. And its on his resume now. A great player which makes his deliberate hand ball all the more disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Henry is a cheat.

Fixed that for you.

Advertisement