Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Henry is no cheat.
    :confused::confused::confused:

Anyone feel for Trap, there was that farce when South Korea did Italy over in 2002 world cup, denied penalties, denied legitimate goal(s), kicked off the park - and now this tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Henry is no cheat.

The ball was there, he handled it and they scored - end of.

Doyle said he tried it and got away it with and so be it.

Fault lies with the officials.

You cant absolve Henry of all blame. It would be different if the ball just bounced off his hand into Gallas' path. But it hit his hand the first time fair enough but then he moved his hand to control the ball onto his foot so that he could make the pass.
    It was a disgraceful act of bad sportsmanship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

draffodx wrote: »

just put a post in..... it's not the greatest but it took 30 seconds

Fifa, please please please, use modern technology to decide key points/situations in a football game.
    People are already questioning at soccer's legitimacy regarding bad decisions. Please introduce video technology now to stop the widespread cheating and deception that goes on in modern football (like Rugby)... if not it may become like WCW wrestling were every match is decided beforehand (or maybe that is the aim).. :(

I myself is starting to like Rugby even more as I think the rules are fairer to each team..

can you please reply arguing why video technology cannot be introduced..

yup after proof reading it now again, it looks like a hick wrote it :(..ouch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

kryogen wrote: »
    an honest defender who is happy to let a ball drop in the 6 yard box in that situation? come on, he is not good enough for the team and shouldnt be defended here, if he had just dealt with the ball in there would be no **** storm about the cheating

Paul McShane should not be blamed for another players cheating.

The ball was going out until your man controlled it with his hand.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

FUCK THIS SHIT

Pitchforks and torches at the French embassy anyone?

[url]Http://www.didfrancecheat.eu[/url]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Henry is no cheat.

those two lines actually dont go very well togther

one in fact proves the opposite of the other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

It's hella disappointing about Henry and all but I say, I probably would have done it too. (would have been ashamed of it too though!)

Anyone read the fifa.com report....I dont think there was a hand-ball at all......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I can picture Platini meeting the Swedish ref in a dark damp Parisien car park with a brown envelope in his lámh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

mada999 wrote: »

Fifa, please please please, use modern technology to decide key points/situations in a football game.
    People are already questioning at soccer's legitimacy regarding bad decisions. Please introduce video technology now to stop the widespread cheating and deception that goes on in modern football (like Rugby)... if not it may become like WCW wrestling were every match is decided beforehand (or maybe that is the aim).. :(

I myself is starting to like Rugby even more as I think the rules are fairer to each team..

yup after proof reading it now again, it looks like a hick wrote it :(..ouch
    It was brought up on RTE's post match discussion that by introducing video evidence it would turn unwanted attention on the referees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Henry is no cheat.

Just because he didn't get caught does not mean he is not a cheat.
    By your logic a murderer getting free on a technicality is not a murderer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

mada999 wrote: »

Went out of business 8 years ago.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

an honest defender who is happy to let a ball drop in the 6 yard box in that situation? come on, he is not good enough for the team and shouldnt be defended here, if he had just dealt with the ball in there would be no **** storm about the cheating

McShane isn't good enough he shouldn't have been on the field. He gave it his all and just isn't up to it.
    Take a step back, we are all gutted. Would have been way worse if we'd been 2-1 up and heading through when they scored.
    We'd have had to face penalties. Ah i dont wanna be making excuses. We were robbed of a chance of the world cup.

But thats football for ya. I'm a liverpool fan. David N'gog dived outrageously against Birmingham and I turned the other cheek. And that wasn't right of me to do so.

Until something is done these decisions (whether games be referreed from the stand, or video technology etc..) then it will continue, and football matches will be decided by freak luck in some cases. Hard work, skill, tactics and the like will mean nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

It is truely amazing that the world's most popular sport is still living in the 1970's!! Countless other sports now use video!

Rugby, American Football, Ice Hockey, Tennis, Cricket to name but a few.

Even in track and field, they will review a race afterwards if theres an appeal over somebody cutting across somebody illegally!!

Pathetic and an embarrassment to the sport tonight was!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

orourkeda wrote: »
    Proof positive that professional has lost its soul. Professionals prepared to cheat each other makes for grim reading.

The stakes are immense. The professional game hasn't changed in the way that players will always cheat to gain an advantage, its just that its not always as blatent as a double handball.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

All Irish Arsenal fans should burn their old Henry jerseys or send them to Fifa in protest

I respectfully decline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Absolutely gutted about how the French have qualified for the World Cup. I feel so sorry for our team. To have played solidly, if not spectaculary, over the whole qualifying campaign and then lose to a goal that should have been ruled out. It would have taken two seconds for a video referee to decide it was handball. Maybe we would have gone to penalties. Maybe France would still have won. We'll never know now.

I don't agree that Henry should be banned like others have been suggesting. Yes he has done something wrong (in my opinion his dive late in the game when not an Irish soul was around him after France were already awarded a freekick for a foul on another player was worse. Discgraceful) but I can't honestly blame him. I can't blame the referee or the linesman either as they are only two people and can't see everything. The only one we can blame is FIFA for refusing to impliment a video referee. But do they care? Their president is French. And they have a country with 60 million people qualified who will tune in to watch their team. Much better than tiny little Ireland. I'll leave the decision up to you.

It's also interesting that there is no mention of the handball in the match report on FIFA's official website. Obviously not impartial and obviously never going to change. At least we have a decent rugby governing body and a decent Irish team. Soccer is just too unfair to be considered a sport at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brianrcarney

just gutted is all i can muster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

FUCK THIS SHIT

Pitchforks and torches at the French embassy anyone?

[url]Http://www.didfrancecheat.eu[/url]

I'm going to bring a flaming bag of poo.

I am very proud of the Irish players tonight, probably more so than I have ever been. To me they are heroic. The majority of people had written them off and they stuck in there and fought until the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/wires/11/18/2080.ap.soc.france.henry.0136/index.html

Henry admits using his hand to qualify France

SAINT-DENIS, France (AP) -France striker Thierry Henry admits he intentionally handled the ball to set up William Gallas' equalizing goal, sending France to the World Cup at Ireland's expense after an intense 1-1 draw on Wednesday.
    With Ireland leading 1-0 and the match level on aggregate deep into the first period of extra time, France won a free kick and Henry twice handled the ball - stopping it going out of play, then controlling it - before setting up Gallas for a header.
    After the match, the Barcelona striker said, "I will be honest, it was a handball. But I'm not the ref.''
    After winning 1-0 in Dublin on Saturday, France won 2-1 on aggregate, and will play in its fourth straight World Cup.
    Ireland failed to qualify, as in 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Do you really think Platini will petition for it after this?

orourkeda wrote: »
    Paul McShane should not be blamed for another players cheating.

The ball was going out until your man controlled it with his hand.

It was ****in awful defending!! how are you defending him? i wont be responding to any more of that waffle so you can have the last word on it! wont change the fact that not clearing the danger was woeful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Tonight's events raise numerous issues from the introduction of a video ref to retrospective punishment for cheating.

I am gutted for the Irish players. They gave everything and just came up short. Everyone should be proud of every one of them (except maybe McShane :D ).

Thierry Henry handled the ball not once but twice and two French players were offside when the free kick was taken. Obviously, the officials have a lot to answer for. What made this action hurt so much was a) the importance of the match; b) the way he celebrated at the final whistle c) that Ireland arguably deserved to win the match.

What would have happened if Henry had approached the ref (or vice versa) and told him he had deliberately handled the ball? He would be forever remembered as a shining example of integrity, honesty and fair play. Who knows, France may have gone on to win the match anyway. Fairly.

If Ireland had qualified in similar circumstances tonight I would be appalled. Some things do not have a price. One's reputation. One's integrity. One's self-respect. One's dignity. When your sport has gone so far as to render these admirable human qualities saleable, you know it's gone beyond its usefulness.

This will be Henry's sporting epitaph. What happens if he goes on to lift the World Cup next July? Most of the post-match comments by the French on Le Parisien newspaper web site are equally scathing in their opinion of Henry's gesture. France undoubtedly have the riches to have won the game on merit especially with Benzema on the bench.

I'm more angry with officials than the player. Thierry will surely come to rue this moment of madness which will without doubt hang like a millstone around his neck for a long time. We have discovered that Henry will not be the top 10 player who will finally come out and say, "no, I want to win fairly and squarely" so as to be an example to others especially the thousands of kids who love football.

Who will be the Rosa Parks of soccer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

basquille wrote: »
    14637124987277443614579.jpg

.. that's all from me for the night lads!

Ah well... hugely enjoyable game. The best I've seen the Ireland team play in years.. and although it was an absolutely horrible way to go out, we can all admit the lads played their fecking arses off out there.

And I, like many others tonight, am proud of them!

He'll make a great corner forward that lad. Who is he?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Platini is sucking of Blatter as we speak

video tech

meh....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Henry is no cheat.

and here, my friends, is what is wrong with the world of football.

it's not a sport anymore.

it's a free for all. do what you like as long as you get away with it.

if henry doesn't cheat, there's no mistake to make.

anyway, awesome display from the lads, and i am immensely proud.

men of the match were Andrews and Dunne. truly inspiring.

i'll sleep easy tonight knowing i can be proud of my national team.

it's a cruel blow, but we'll walk on.

go raibh míle maith agat lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I'd like to thank the Mods for their time cleaning up the mess after the game.

I'd also like to point out that as much as you care about a football match it still can't be compared to murder.

Let me man or woman who has never cheated in any way at sport come to the front of the queue to let their feelings be known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

http://twitter.com/Thierry_Henry/following

Look who he's following....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

As gutted as I am, Henry did what a lot of players would do in the situation.

What is really needed is better officiating - whether with technology or extra bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

those two lines actually dont go very well togther

one in fact proves the opposite of the other

My point is that the ball dropped onto his hand instinctively.
    He instinctively batted it across to Gallas and the goal was scored.
    This is part of what happens in the game.
    The man did not set out to cheat anyone - in that sense he is not a cheat.
    Kevin Doyle said all of this when interviewed.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Couple of match ban please FIFA

Ban him from the World Cup please.

the fact that it is not mentioned in the match report from Fifa is very shameful for them

kenon wrote: »
    The stakes are immense. The professional game hasn't changed in the way that players will always cheat to gain an advantage, its just that its not always as blatent as a double handball.

It's not sport anymore. It's business. Football is dead as a sport and has been for years. This just proves it. I've never been as disgusted after a game and all because of a cheating frenchman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I have to laugh. If the same thing happened to Ireland and we had won, the team would be put down as heros. Simple as. No one denies Henry is a cheat but lets call a spade a spade. The officals did not do their job. They missed an offside and 2 hand balls. If anything those involved should be banned from football not the players who did the dirty deed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Fair play...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

Now we know how Drogba felt, and to quote him " Its a ****ing digrace"

Thrill wrote: »

Ah FFS. I wish he'd have said nothing. Just makes it worse.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

This is hilarious.
    If Robbie Keane had done this to get us to the world cup we would all be having a laugh and a joke about it, this happens in football all the time. Its just unfortunate that it was us that were left upset tonight.
    Not one person on here would be taking the moral high ground and saying how much of a disgrace Keane is if that had happened.

• Advertisement

the ball did not drop onto his hand

he instinctively put his hand out to stop the ball going out, then he deliberately controlled it with a second touch, you are not allowed to use your hands as an outfield player in football......

your logic is very strange......if someone cheats, they have cheated. its black and white, and to try to say he did not cheat is actually laughable. he has admitted it himself ffs

Who won the poll for greatest player of the 00's? Please tell me it wasnt Henry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

How can a ball, an inanimate object, do anything instinctively?:confused:

Melion wrote: »
    This is hilarious.
    If Robbie Keane had done this to get us to the world cup we would all be having a laugh and a joke about it, this happens in football all the time. Its just unfortunate that it was us that were left upset tonight.
    Not one person on here would be taking the moral high ground and saying how much of a disgrace Keane is if that had happened.

of course we would be delighted to go to the world cup, but i would not be happy with it. it is not what football should be about. fair play is preached all around by Fifa and others but it is not always practised. i can honestly say i would rather lose fairly then win by cheating...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭big_show

ever man that wore a white jersey tonight played out of their skin, this has to be the best Irish performance i have seen in years, the team fought like lions for the entire 120 minutes and done the nation proud. From Trapattonis reaction after the game he looked like a broken man, he has well and truly bought into the Irish passion and felt a near miss that we all know too well. never has a sporting occasion let me forget all of my problems in my life and all my fucking assignments in college like this team has tonight.....I'm off to bed now, 2 presentations in the morning you see...but fuck it it was worth ever minute.

http://twitter.com/Thierry_Henry/following

Look who he's following....

You have to laugh or else you'd crack up!

stepbar wrote: »
    I have to laugh. If the same thing happened to Ireland and we had won, the team would be put down as heros. Simple as. No one denies Henry is a cheat but lets call a spade a spade. The officals did not do their job. They missed an offside and 2 hand balls. If anything those involved should be banned from football not the players who did the dirty deed.

You wouldnt have heard that from me. I cant speak for anyone else bit what he did tonight was sickening.

If Ireland had won like that It would have been cheating too and this is a lame and lazy argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Melion wrote: »
    This is hilarious.

I would. I would be saying it's a disgrace, This coming from a Liverpool fan who couldn't even celebrate Liverpool's equaliser against Birmingham after Ngog's dive!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

this wasnt in a world cup qualifier tho slightly more at stake.

and it wasnt as obvious

are you saying it was funny because it was against england?

Holy sh1t are you joking!! Did you just say there was more at stake in tonights match that the 1986 WORLD CUP QUARTER FINAL BETWEEN RECENT WARING COUNTRIES (at the time) ENGLAND AND ARGENTINA?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

gutted......... "but that's football"......

I'm beginning to see it's true nature...cheat or be cheated IS the modern game...if this continues there will be no game... :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement