Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Melion wrote: »
    This is hilarious.
    If Robbie Keane had done this to get us to the world cup we would all be having a laugh and a joke about it, this happens in football all the time. Its just unfortunate that it was us that were left upset tonight.
    Not one person on here would be taking the moral high ground and saying how much of a disgrace Keane is if that had happened.

If Ireland had got to the World Cup in such circumstances I and many others I suspect would be ashamed. End of.

As an admired professional Henry has written his sporting epitaph. He could have:

a) not handled the ball especially the second time
    b) tried to do more to get his team a legitimate goal
    c) informed the ref that he had deliberately handled (and become a beacon of fair play in the process
    d) not jumped around celebrating and patronising the Irish players by approaching them and shrugging his shoudlers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Oficials get it wrong, we had the chances to put them away and didnt take them. In fairness the ref could have given France a peno when Anelka went down. It is hard to take as were clearly the better team over the 2 legs, I'm getting very sick of "moral" victories though. Domenech is hanging on to his job by his fingernails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Warper wrote: »
    Oficials get it wrong, we had the chances to put them away and didnt take them. In fairness the ref could have given France a peno when Anelka went down. It is hard to take as were clearly the better team over the 2 legs, I'm getting very sick of "moral" victories though. Domenech is hanging on to his job by his fingernails.

That would have been a wrong decision too. HE DIVED.

Warper wrote: »
    Oficials get it wrong, we had the chances to put them away and didnt take them. In fairness the ref could have given France a peno when Anelka went down.

yeah but Anelka wasn't touched....

officials get it wrong that's why there should be a video referee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Di Canio did the honorable thing, Henry didnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

What a wonderful spirited performance from the Irish team tonight. These guys can hold their head up. Hope Stephen Ireland was watching, he might understand what it should mean to represent your country.

The cheating tonight by Henry, will put pressure on FIFA to introduce a video judge just like rugby. Blatter, Platini and co don't want it introduced, but the pressure now on him to act will be enormous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Would people stop saying that it was "instinct". The game is called FOOTball! The hint is in the name! It is instinct to try play the ball with your foot! It is not a natural reaction for an outfield player to try play the ball with his hand! Use of the hand is illegal and is not part of the game, so how on earth can it be "instinct"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

orourkeda wrote: »
    You wouldnt have heard that from me. I cant speak for anyone else bit what he did tonight was sickening.

If Ireland had won like that It would have been cheating too and this is a lame and lazy argument.

Robbie Keane has benefited in the past from dodgy decisions made in matches - Arsenal vs Spurs at Highbury 2006 anyone.

As has Trap - Boniek dived vs LFC European Cup Final 1985.

No one here would have objected to them participating tonight even though neither has publicly admitted 'cheating' previously.

A lot of fans on the moral high ground this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

orourkeda wrote: »
    You wouldnt have heard that from me. I cant speak for anyone else bit what he did tonight was sickening.

If Ireland had won like that It would have been cheating too and this is a lame and lazy argument.

No its not. All it shows is that Fifa hasn't the morals to tackle their issues. Nothing else nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

If Ireland had got to the World Cup in such circumstances I and many others I suspect would be ashamed. End of.

As an admired professional Henry has written his sporting epitaph. He could have:

a) not handled the ball especially the second time
    b) tried to do more to get his team a legitimate goal
    c) informed the ref that he had deliberately handled (and become a beacon of fair play in the process
    d) not jumped around celebrating and patronising the Irish players by approaching them and shrugging his shoudlers

He has been described as a true gentleman, a proper modern player!!

Reality:he is a cheat!!!!!

And the worst thing is, there will be some Irish Arsenal fans who will defend his cheating. He is now there with Maradonna, great player. Cheating ba$tard!!!

Robbie Keane has benefited in the past from dodgy decisions made in matches - Arsenal vs Spurs at Highbury 2006 anyone.

No one here would have objected to them participating tonight even though neither has publicly admitted 'cheating' previously.

A lot of fans on the moral high ground this evening.

AGAIN........................IT DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT?>?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Blaming Henry is a little silly imo. Yes he cheated, but it happens every week. It should be cracked down on and the blame goes all the way back to FIFA.

Indecently, for them to not mention the handball in their report is absolutely shameful.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

flahavaj wrote: »
    How can a ball, an inanimate object, do anything instinctively?:confused:

I thanked your post because it made me laugh thinking about this:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Not the first time that either Ireland or Trappatoni were ****ed over by FIFA. In 82 (I think) Stapleton had a perfectly good goal ruled out in Paris which cost us dearly. And in 2002, Trapatoni's Italy were clearly the victims of disgusting bribery. FIFA is absolutely rotten. :mad:

Of course, if Ireland had scored a goal like that, we'd have to replay the match, no doubt about it. Fifa wanted the French through and they went out of their way to do it. Disgusting! :mad::mad::mad:

I'm very disappointed with Henry too; he handled the ball twice so he knew exactly what he was doing and it definitely wasn't subconscious. And, then he didn't even have the guts to apologise to all the Irish players. Shameful.

sternn wrote: »
    "France skipper Thierry Henry won the match for the hosts when his angled pass amid a goalmouth scramble was met by the head of Wiliam Gallas. The goal enabled France to qualify and avoid a repeat of their humiliating failure, at the hands of Bulgaria, to qualify for the 1994 FIFA World Cup finals."

This part in bold really pisses me off. The 94 Bulgarian team had a lot of quality right through it; Stoitchkov (one of the best players in the world at the time), Letchkov, Kostadinov, etc. Yet, the FIFA website makes it sound like the French had a divine right to participate in every World Cup and anything less is a humiliating failure. No, they failed to reach the 94 World Cup because they simply weren't good enough- the table doesn't lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

monkey9 wrote: »
    And the worst thing is, there will be some Irish Arsenal fans who will defend his cheating.

I won't even try to defend what he did.

I still love him for what he did for the club though, just not right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Blaming Henry is a little silly imo. Yes he cheated, but it happens every week. It should be cracked down on and the blame goes all the way back to FIFA.

Indecently, for them to not mention the handball in their report is absolutely shameful.

Because other swimmers have cheated does it make it ok for Michelle Smith to cheat??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Anyone updated Wiki yet? ;)

mada999 wrote: »
    AGAIN........................IT DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT?>?

But surely you object to the FAI employing Trap and Robbie Keane following their acceptance of cheating in the past.

Or do you adopt a moral position only when it goes against you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I agree that a TMO offical should be introduced in soccer. The problem is that its not going to get Ireland to the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I must say I'm sick and tired of this attitude that "we would celebrate if one of our players had done what Henry did", "happens every week etc". I for one would not celebrate a goal like that. I look back fondly on goals such as Alan McLoughlin's strike against NI. Goals that won us games on merit. I would not look back fondly on a goal that resulted from a player using their hand to play the ball across. Why? Because it's CHEATING. It would detract from the performance.

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths some Irish people will go to in order to defend the indefensible and kick up an argument. We lost tonight to a goal that should never have been given. We were wronged. Henry cheated. We were the victims of an injustice. This is not a view stemming from bias. Look at reports from the UK, Europe and America saying the same thing.

How is cheating to be eradicated from the game when some people will just shrug their shoulders about it and crow that it happens all the time so why make a fuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Of course, if Ireland had scored a goal like that, we'd have to replay the match, no doubt about it.

Lol do you honestly believe that?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The way Henry celebrated his goal!!! :mad::mad::mad: I have always hated that overrated, small time bullsh!tter!!!

But this is awful. He is tarnished now. He really is!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

FearDark wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

Anyone feel for Trap, there was that farce when South Korea did Italy over in 2002 world cup, denied penalties, denied legitimate goal(s), kicked off the park - and now this tonight.
    Not the first time that either Ireland or Trappatoni were ****ed over by FIFA. In 82 (I think) Stapleton had a perfectly good goal ruled out in Paris which cost us dearly. And in 2002, Trapatoni's Italy were clearly the victims of disgusting bribery. FIFA is absolutely rotten. :mad:

Exactly my first thoughts after the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The way Henry celebrated his goal!!! :mad::mad::mad: I have always hated that overrated, small time bullsh!tter!!!

But this is awful. He is tarnished now. He really is!!!

Whatever about the rest but he's hardly overrated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

He has been described as a true gentleman, a proper modern player!!

Reality:he is a cheat!!!!!

And the worst thing is, there will be some Irish Arsenal fans who will defend his cheating. He is now there with Maradonna, great player. Cheating ba$tard!!!

Duff is a cheat then too. But something tells me you wont see it that way.

I dont blame Henry one bit.

Firstly, it looks pretty instinctive. Secondly its a huge pressure cooker situation, people do funny things. Thirdly, he has a pretty good record about these things and fourthly, I'd do exactly what he did in a ****ing flash if it meant getting Ireland to the World Cup and anyone on here that claims to be a devout supporter of the team should do the same.

This falls at the feet of two people. Fifa for not introducing some video technology to aid the refs in these situations and Paul ****ing McShane. Dear Paul, put your ****ing foot through it, not letting a ball bounce in the box is defending 101. You are a joke of a defender, you cant tackle, you cant read the game, you have the all the dexterity and deftness of a fat bird eating a kebab on a saturday night.

Edit: The fact you called him overrated means now I know your talking out your arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Melion wrote: »
    This is hilarious.
    If Robbie Keane had done this to get us to the world cup we would all be having a laugh and a joke about it, this happens in football all the time. Its just unfortunate that it was us that were left upset tonight.
    Not one person on here would be taking the moral high ground and saying how much of a disgrace Keane is if that had happened.

But Robbie didnt do it, did he?

Morzadec wrote: »
    Lol do you honestly believe that?!

I'd be delighted as we need all the luck we can get and would much prefer we did it than if it, as it has, happened to us.

I think a system that allows it to happen is more to blame than a person who exploits it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Unfortunately for Henry, great player that he is, his name will now always be linked with cheating at the highest level of the game

The more i see it, the more disgusted i am. I am expecting a fair bit of PR for him to try get the public opinion back on side a bit, but he has tarnished his name irreparibly

• Advertisement

04072511 wrote: »
    Because other swimmers have cheated does it make it ok for Michelle Smith to cheat??
    I never said it was ok to cheat, I'm just saying the blame lies more with the people who let this happen and make no effort to improve refereeing.

He cheated and got away with it, and it's nothing to be admired, but getting away with it should not have been possible

A lot of fans on the moral high ground this evening.[/QUOT

It's still cheating. IT'S WRONG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Jayob10 wrote: »
    McShane isn't good enough he shouldn't have been on the field. He gave it his all and just isn't up to it.
    Take a step back, we are all gutted. Would have been way worse if we'd been 2-1 up and heading through when they scored.
    We'd have had to face penalties. Ah i dont wanna be making excuses. We were robbed of a chance of the world cup.

But thats football for ya. I'm a liverpool fan. David N'gog dived outrageously against Birmingham and I turned the other cheek. And that wasn't right of me to do so.

Until something is done these decisions (whether games be referreed from the stand, or video technology etc..) then it will continue, and football matches will be decided by freak luck in some cases. Hard work, skill, tactics and the like will mean nothing.

Cant blame McShane, Le Cheater was offside to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

you have the all the dexterity and deftness of a fat bird eating a kebab on a saturday night.

Lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Fair play...........

??

He handles it as well ;)

How is cheating to be eradicated from the game when some people will just shrug their shoulders about it and crow that it happens all the time so why make a fuss?
    We are making a fuss, but blaming Henry is not the answer, blaming FIFA is for not properly enforcing their rules.

04072511 wrote: »

Never proved btw.

So what are you implying?? Should Henry be banned??

Is so then surely the likes of Gerrard, Torres, Ronaldo, Rooney, Van Persie, Drogba et al should get a ban as well or does handball merit a greater penalty than diving? Keane was pulled up for handball 4 times tonight and would we have complained if a goal arose from any of them - NO (and anyone that says they would is lying).

We could and should have won the match, I dont mean to be harsh but we blew it (again).

FatherTed wrote: »
    Cant blame McShane, Le Cheater was offside to begin with.

no he wasnt, was two other players

of course you can put some blame on McShane, he didnt do basic defending, as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I am just reading comments on serbian sports forum and i can say they are pretty same as here,if its any relief to you it seems Henry and Platini wont have a nice time in belgrade if they come again:D

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Unfortunately for Henry, great player that he is, his name will now always be linked with cheating at the highest level of the game

The more i see it, the more disgusted i am. I am expecting a fair bit of PR for him to try get the public opinion back on side a bit, but he has tarnished his name irreparibly

I think you're reading into it far too much, as I said in the Arsenal thread, he'll be thought of badly by Irish fans, but who else cares really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

What else would you expect from the Arse/Catalan scumbag cheater :( Always the same for Ireland always some decision goes against us :(

Dunphy had a valid point Don Givens needs to be sacked as under 21 Manager, bottom of their group, falling out with players and banashing them from the Ireland setup.

FatherTed wrote: »
    But Robbie didnt do it, did he?

Has in the past - check out the Arsenal Spurs match at Highbury from 2006 - ball came across to Keane controversially following an Edgar Davids foul and he tapped in and spun away to celebrate. He didn't pick the ball up and give to the Arsenal keeper.

1985 - Boniek dived over Mark Lawrenson's leg to win a penalty. Replays prove that there was no contact. I can't recall Trap proposing a replayed match following that affair.

??

He handles it as well ;)

Hardly the same circumstance as a WC playoff.

But surely you object to the FAI employing Trap and Robbie Keane following their acceptance of cheating in the past.

Or do you adopt a moral position only when it goes against you?

cheating at any time, for any country, for any individual, does NOT make it right...

jasonorr wrote: »
    I think you're reading into it far too much, as I said in the Arsenal thread, he'll get the paddy hate, but who else cares really?

I dont know, it was a very high profile incident, in a very high profile game

The media will make sure it gets brought up when they can so it will stay fresh in the memory, and im sure alot of purists and just people who like to see the game played right in general, will remember this

He can never be held up as an unquestionable ambassador for the game anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

can anyone tell me for the fifa world rankings how does this count?

I never said it was ok to cheat, I'm just saying the blame lies more with the people who let this happen and make no effort to improve refereeing.

He cheated and got away with it, and it's nothing to be admired, but getting away with it should not have been possible

aye.... pass the buck..................... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Lads,

Maybe he thought he was still playing in Croke Park?

Take your points and the goals will come! :cool:

Has in the past - check out the Arsenal Spurs match at Highbury from 2006 - ball came across to Keane controversially following an Edgar Davids foul and he tapped in and spun away to celebrate. He didn't pick the ball up and give to the Arsenal keeper.

1985 - Boniek dived over Mark Lawrenson's leg to win a penalty. Replays prove that there was no contact. I can't recall Trap proposing a replayed match following that affair.

your really missing the point arent you

here

Cheating is never right

understand yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I'd do exactly what he did in a ****ing flash if it meant getting Ireland to the World Cup

Well I wouldn't want someone like you representing me in our national team.

Disgraceful attitude and one which has football in the dire straits its in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement