Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Isn't this what they do in the bundesliga for diving incidents?

Is it ? didn't know that , would be interesting to see some stats and see if its working , Any Bundesliga fans here , Would be nice to heard their views and experiences .

IF TRUE A VERY GOOD FIRST STEP IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Ye can talk all ye like about Henry being a "cheat" etc. But two very important things are being overlooked:

1) We didn't take our chances when we had them

2) Platini should be brought to task for changing the rules at the last minute to ensure his beloved France got through.

At the end of the day, its all about one thing, and one thing only:

MONEY!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

Last night our national team fell victim to a cheat so we are rightly outraged. But when players cheat week in week out we make excuses them because we accrue some benefit from it - and because we do we are complicit in allowing the culture of cheating to flourish.

So, boycott Gillette products, all things French, but next week when Rooney or Torres or Drogba takes a dive will you boycott PES on the PS3, or boycott all things relevant club? Didn't think so.

If we, as fans, the only power in the game, allow the cheats to proliferate, we cannot complain when we are the victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Brady was just on Sky there calling on French federation and Blatter to review the situation . Says Ireland would have no problem playing the game in Paris again. Not laying the blame at Henry's door but more at authorities. Who knows if enough people in high places put the pressure on we might still have the pressure on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Not sure if anyone saw this on the official FIFA website :mad:;
    France 1-1 Republic of Ireland (first leg 1-0)
    Goals: William Gallas 103 (France); Robbie Keane 32 (Republic of Ireland)

The story of the game
    Hosts France were kept completely quiet in the first half by an Ireland team burning with passion, conviction and the desire to battle for every ball. Robbie Keane’s strike not long after the half-hour was just reward for the efforts the visitors had put in and it took heroics from France goalkeeper Hugo Lloris to limit the damage to one goal. Les Bleus came into the contest after the break but remained vulnerable to Irish attacks, meaning the tie had to be resolved in extra time, when William Gallas equalised to send his team through to their fourth consecutive finals.

The key moment
    After 180 hard-fought minutes, the fate of both teams was decided by a moment of drama in extra time. The outcome remained in the balance until the very last second, and when the final whistle was blown the disappointed Irish could hold their heads up high.

The man of the match
    France have long been looking for a successor to Fabien Barthez and they have found the perfect candidate in Hugo Lloris. In this game, as in the opening leg, the Lyon No1 bolstered his burgeoning reputation with a string of top-class saves.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1136903.html#final+four+through+europe

Proud of the lads last night, they were superb. Such as shame we were cheated out of a result.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

FIFA press officer on TodayFM... :rolleyes:

Brady was just on Sky there calling on French federation and Blatter to review the situation . Says Ireland would have no problem playing the game in Paris again. Not laying the blame at Henry's door but more at authorities. Who knows if enough people in high places put the pressure on we might still have the pressure on.

No chance whatsoever. It would set a very dangerous precedent. Let's face it, UEFA is corrupt. Platini and Blatter got their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,045 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Remained completely unswayed throughout..

.. FIFA have him trained well!

No chance whatsoever. It would set a very dangerous precedent. Let's face it, UEFA is corrupt. Platini and Blatter got their way.
    Agreed but we should not go down without a fight. It is up to the media to highlight our case by asking the hard questions of Blatter and the French Federation. Sure FIFA will not want their clean image being tarnished like this or the French for that matter.
    It might set a dangerous precedent but the way to avoid setting the precedent is to introduce video evidence for situations like . Where there are protests like this from players after goal, all referee has to do is consult upstairs TV ref.
    Cant see it working for penalties but definitely for hand balls that lead to goals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paddy Power never misses an opportunity
    At least Dick Turpin wore a mask! Thierry Henry's excellent basketball skills denied Ireland from gaining at least a penalty shootout in their WC Qualifier. However, they did win in normal time which means our No Surrender Money-Back Special clicked. As well as refunding all losing 1st/last goalscorer, correct score & scorecast singles, we've decided to refund all losing single bets placed on Ireland to qualify for the World Cup and bets on Ireland to win the World Cup. Conditions apply Luck of the Irish me arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

campaign time again...Fifa Poll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

heard a bit of it
    specially the bits where he mumbled his way thru answers

Agreed but we should not go down without a fight. It is up to the media to highlight our case by asking the hard questions of Blatter and the French Federation. Sure FIFA will not want their clean image being tarnished like this or the French for that matter.
    It might set a dangerous precedent but the way to avoid setting the precedent is to introduce video evidence for situations like . Where there are protests like this from players after goal, all referee has to do is consult upstairs TV ref.
    Cant see it working for penalties but definitely for hand balls that lead to goals.

That would drag on for months...........we'd probably still end up missing the World Cup??

I think it would be a pointless,long winded exercise, with Platini undoubtedly putting more obstacles in the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

In the words of Carlsberg, perhaps we should "write a strongly worded letter" or "have a go at them in the press?" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Nothings going to come of this. This little island of ours does not carry enough voice or financial strength for those in FIFA to care.

Gutted absolutely gutted. I have lost my faith in those that govern our game.

• Advertisement

That would drag on for months...........we'd probably still end up missing the World Cup??

I think it would be a pointless,long winded exercise, with Platini undoubtedly putting more obstacles in the way!!
    I think this is the strongest case yet for Video evidence. It will be introduced eventually. Im sure of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Gutted. I physically felt like vomiting after that tonight.

I haven't felt that bad since the play-off against Belgium for a place at the 1998 World Cup. Everyone remember when they get awarded a throw that was actually ours, then threw it in, flicked it on and Luc Nilis scored to send them through instead of us? They were awarded that throw even though Dennis Irwin, one of the most honest players to ever kick a ball, insisted that it was ours. Tonight, we had Shay Given, as honest as Irwin, pleading with the referee to give the handball. If any other team in international football has luck as bad as us in games of this magnitude, I can't think of them.

My heart is broken for those lads tonight. They left nothing on that pitch. They were immense to a man. Who knows what would have happened if that goal wasn't awarded? None of us ever will.

I presume we all also remember Arsenal offering to replay their FA Cup 5th round match against Sheffield United in 1999 when United had put the ball out of play and, instead of giving them the ball from the throw-in, Kanu broke away and squared it to Overmars who scored. They offered that replay because the win had come about through unsportsmanlike behaviour. Arsene Wenger, a Frenchman, brought this about. Will any Frenchmen be man enough to suggest a similar action in this instance? Will they f*ck!

The French reaction in fact has been pretty much one of disgust with Henry's cheating and they didn't deserve to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Serbian media headline: "Offside-hand-goal-shame in Paris!"

"Being an irish today means having a bitter feeling,but feeling proud at the same time..."

sheesh:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Lloris, seriously guys, what a class keeper, for 22 he is a fantastic prospect for the next ten years.

Alou Diarra and Lassana Diarra, combined transfer values of €40m....LOL. Madrid were robbed just as much as Ireland were last night :D

Ireland players to a man, you made a nation proud last night, one of the most memorable performances ever from an Irish team. You may not have come away with qualification but go home and watch the match when the disappointment has ebbed away and BE PROUD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Anyone fancy getting France for the Euro qualifiers ?

I really hope it's not too soon until we meet them again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

And that's why i haven't watched an Ireland match since they lost to macedonia

Go and hang yourself you MUPPET

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

"Being an irish today means having a bitter feeling,but feeling proud at the same time..."

Same old, same old.

Only so long a 'heroic defeat' will take the edge off...

(Congrats on qualifying btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Frisbee wrote: »
    Same old, same old.

Only so long a 'heroic defeat' will take the edge off...

(Congrats on qualifying btw)

Yeah we had same feeling many times,but this what happened is outrageous,our media is full of it like it happened to us and not to Ireland,i guess thats a consequence of same thing happening to us all the time during wars,sanctions and other crap in last 20 years when we couldnt play a decent game without being robbed,and who could we complain to when we are "criminal country" as they would call us.....stick your fair play in @ss FIFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

anyone feel worse this morning than last night?

i'm literally sick to the f*cking stomach with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Liam Brady is on Pat Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

We should all ****ing protest!!!! Like the strike set for the 24th, but more people and solely for our voice to be heard that we were cheated! We wont get into the World Cup, but we will make a point to Fifa that video should be introduced to stop this BOLLOX

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

We wuz robbed. But we are going to win Euro 2012, so keep the faith!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

St. Ledger -
    St Ledger told Sky Sports News: 'We got robbed, you can tell by the boys' reaction it hit his hand blatantly.

'We feel cheated - we were the better team over the two legs, every football fan in the stadium will say we were the better team tonight.

'It's cost a lot of us our dreams - as a boy I used to dream of playing in the World Cup, and now I'm not.'

And on the incident -
    'He's said it hit his hand accidentally but if you look at it you can clearly see it hits his hand twice.

'I'm not sure (his reputation) has been tarnished - it doesn't look great but he's got his team to the World Cup finals.'

Gutted for himself and the lads.

Robbie might be in a spot of bother now -
    'They're all probably clapping hands, Platini sitting up there on the phone to Sepp Blatter, probably texting each other, delighted with the result.'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

SlickRic wrote: »

I just cannot think straight!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

Yep gutted the more I think about it. Just feel more for the the likes of Duff ,Keane and Kilbane who may have had their last crack at qualifying for a WC . Can only imagine how the players are feeling

• Advertisement

Sherifu wrote: »

What good is that goin to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Duuurteee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

How must the ref have felt when every irish player went to him straight away, claiming the same thing so vigorously?? He must have known he had got it wrong but what could he have done. I have reffed matches before and you know when you have got something wrong by peoples reactions, but there is nothing you can do if you didn't see it. In fairness to him he didn't give a peno when Anelka went down, he could have quite easily given it there.

The linesman had a clear view, thats what really irks me. It could also have been prevented by the linesman calling offside, it was a straightforward decision...

I think the very least that could be done is a flag system like american football, each team gets one call in a match to get a video review. If wrong they lose it, if right, they get to keep the review for another call. By only having one it would rule out abuse of the system. Also, asking the player would be another idea, and big punishment if they lie.

Sickened

What good is that goin to do?
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

I hear ya.

glanman wrote: »
    How must the ref have felt when every irish player went to him straight away, claiming the same thing so vigorously?? He must have known he had got it wrong but what could he have done. I have reffed matches before and you know when you have got something wrong by peoples reactions, but there is nothing you can do if you didn't see it. In fairness to him he didn't give a peno when Anelka went down, he could have quite easily given it there.

It pains me to quote Andy Gray but he often says (when reviewing contentious decisions) "The players reactions are usually a good indication", and by jesus did the Irish players react last night. The ref must have been thinking "bollox".

:rolleyes:

That's not answering my question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

richard dunne should not have been so friendly with henry after the game

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Yeah but it could be the hangover.

I didn't post anything about the incident last night because it would have resulted in a banning for me and I knew the mods would be overworked as it was(well done mods did a great jobs controlling things last night). Now that I've slept on it I will try to articulate my feelings in a respectful manner. I've heard people say that it was instinct that Henry kept the ball in with his hand and that might be true...for the first handball. Second one was blatent. Also to celebrate the goal like he did.....:mad:

Trap should be proud, the team should be proud, the country should be proud. Everything that could be done was done. It was men playing boys out there and the men were wearing white.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Time to break out the McShane video:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

rocco wrote: »
    Just feel more for the the likes of Duff ,Keane and Kilbane who may have had their last crack at qualifying for a WC .
    And they played like players that knew it was their last chance of a place in the World Cup.

Over the two games we were the better team apart from the second half of the first game. It's so disappointing when you don't get a result after playing so well.

As for using video replays, didn't Zidane get sent off during the last World Cup because the 4th official saw the headbutt on a video replay and then told the ref about it?
    Can't understand why they don't use it in football. It should be like tennis where you only get 3 appeals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

green123 wrote: »
    richard dunne should not have been so friendly with henry after the game

YEAH, NOTICED THAT TOO!! WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

It's not going to make any difference, what would you suggest that would make a difference, or are you just being f**king awkward for the sake of it?

It's all your question deserves.

FIN

• Advertisement

jayteecork wrote: »

yes indeed.

he calls us a UK team.

just when i thought i couldn't hate him any more at this moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

yeah the mood in the office is like a funeral.
    couldnt get to sleep for hours after that last night
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    St. Ledger -

And on the incident -

Gutted for himself and the lads.

Robbie might be in a spot of bother now -

He's dead right to speak up, he's the captain and he's expressing the feeling of the players. No doubt FIFA will slap him on the wrists but i'm pleased he said it.

jayteecork wrote: »

i like the fact he says, 'it will go down in history'.

unfortunately for you Titi, it will...it most definitely will.

Kenny had some french journo on and he is calling for the Irish to insist the game is replayed as it was a disgrace, shameful etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭big_show

Time to break out the McShane video:

FYP

• Advertisement
Advertisement