Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Trying to keep the faith.. but it's difficult :(
    I think if a goal is scored within the first 25mins by either side, it'll make for an epic match which we have a great chance at winning.

I'm thinking the French aren't going to sit back and try to defend their lead - it'll be all guns blazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

France my arse.Killer Keane will do a job on them.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

kenon wrote: »
    0-1 Rep.Ireland (R.Dunne 93rd min, towering header from set piece, smashing Lassana Diarra out of the way to get to it).

Then Shay Given with the winning peno after saving Lassana Diarra's peno.

That'd be classic! Another Donegal man saving a peno! I wonder what it would've been like if packie stepped up instead of O'Leary in 1990!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

If we win this Andrews better go over to Diarra and say something like ''Now it's over'' . Feckin better do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I am highly dissapointed at the amount of optimism here.

We will lose possibly 2 or 3 nil and their will be calls for Trap's head from all the people who believed in him before the match.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I am highly dissapointed at the amount of optimism here.
    You're disappointed people are optimistic? How does this disappoint you? Would you rather we just accept defeat so we don't look silly or something?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

T'was a joke. Hold on let me rephrase

I am highly dissapointed at the amount of optimism here :D;):p:eek::P:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Looks like Trap is going with the same team, and tactics, as the first leg.

Can't see us winning if that's the case. We don't seem to make inroads with Doyle and Keane together up front.

Maybe a big man to partner Keane would be worth a stab? Or if things aren't going well, make changes in the first half instead of the second?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Of course we can sneak an early/late goal.. Prob is not conceding any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

From an Englishman

Good luck tonight ...... like you to get through TBH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

We have virtually no chance to get through tonight. France are 1/12 to get through which says it all. I can't see us keeping a clean sheet or scoring more than one. A predicitable end to our campaign once FIFA decided to seed the draw for the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

We have virtually no chance to get through tonight. France are 1/12 to get through which says it all. I can't see us keeping a clean sheet or scoring more than one. A predicitable end to our campaign once FIFA decided to seed the draw for the playoffs.

I tend to agree. The fact that Abidal is out may help us, a new partner for Gallas, so if we can avoid conceding in the first hour, we could make them nervous.

But if Best, Hunt and McGeady are as poor off the bench as they were on Sat, then we have zero chance of a late goal - they were ATTROCIOUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

As Wales did in the 60s and 70s and NI in the 90s and Scotland did in the noughties Ireland will have to in the tens.

?

Get used to the fact that our players just are not good enough to deliver knockout punches when faced with half decent opposition.

Let's face it - 2001 was the last time we beat a good side - Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

They are 1/25 on Paddypower if your interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

2 most possible scenarios.

France kick it up a gear in front of fans, play like the talent in their squad merits. 3/4-1.

Ireland battle like we know they can but still get beaten by a last 5 minute goal 2-1 while searching for the winner themselves.

5% chance but still a CHANCE.

The French will score but Ireland to go on and take it 1-2.

Stranger things have happened.

Place goes ApeShít!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Abidal being out is not good for us, he's useless, and whoever they put in instead will be better.
    I've had so much pain and misery from this team over the years with France (in 2005), Switzerland, Cyprus thrashing us, the Italy game recently...
    I have absolutely no hope for tonight, but if I was going to the game I'd make as much noise as possible. Once again though, I will be let down later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

96342.jpg

BELIEVE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Abidal being out is not good for us, he's useless, and whoever they put in instead will be better.

The above is spot on. He's a liability, and big weak link of the Barca squad. Having him at centre half was something we had in our favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Squilachi >>>>> Abidal I'm sorry to say. Domenech musn't like Squilachi's horoscope. :p

Does anyone believe in miracles? It feels like it could be one of those nights, dunno why I'm looking forward to it so much. France will probably control the ball for the majority of the half and will have picked off by half time with their top players..........yet the longer the game goes on without France scoring the more nervous they'll become - we can take heart from that.

• Advertisement

I would love it if Henry's latest injuries came back to haunt him in the first period of the game and he had to be subbed. He seems to be their leader and I find if impossible to imagine Ireland beating them with him on the pitch. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Theres still enough quality and experience in that team to destroy us.

Henry wasnt very penetrative on the flank against us except for one or two occasions I can remember.

Yet we watch Evra torment the flanks week in week out for United, yet he didnt do anything against us. That might have been tactical or a bad game for Evra. I cannot see him NOT having a good go at John O Shea.

I doubt its the slim possabiltiy that Evra thinks John o shea an unstoppable force in defence, I expect to see alot more attacking play from him tonight.

I think our best chance is French complacincy. They had very few threats from us last time out, with the French back 4 having a few scares, but comfortable for most of the game.

If Evra and Sanga feel they are safe to attack more, it might leave some exposed holes for our wingers to exploit, and hopefully the final third ball can be precision and not hit and hope.

I think we are relying more on mistakes or space exposed through complacincy, I dont think anyone expects us to go toe to toe with this lot and get something out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

CHD wrote: »
    If we win this Andrews better go over to Diarra and say something like ''Now it's over'' . Feckin better do it.

Or even better - "C'est FIN ignare"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I'm getting mails left right and centre about tonights match, mostly resulting in Ireland going to South Africa!
    4 mins ,,, Ire Penalty ..... France sending off - 1-0 (Robbie Keane)

28 mins ... Ire 2-0 .... (Duff)

78 mins - Ire 2-1 (Henry)

90 mins - 4 additional mins

95 mins - its all over Ireland qualify for World Cup

And slightly more imaginative...
    45th minute… The Duffer races clear on goal to be brought down by Lloris in a last ditch rash dive… Lloris sent to the stands… Keano tucks away the resultant penalty past the just arrived French sub keeper having to take off Signac in the process….. Ireland walk into the tunnel at 1 each. France crowd boo Henry and his 9 remaining team mates as they walk off remonstrating with the ref. Ref blows his nose with an oddly colored Green handkerchief as he speaks with Henry and books him for dissent. Trap turns into the offspring of Barack Obama and Winston Churchill at half time and we come back out for the second half with weapons grade plutonium running through our veins…

C'Mon Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Three minutes till the biggest battle of our professional lives all comes down to today. Now either we heal as a team or we’re gonna crumble, inch by inch, play by play, 'til we’re finished.

We’re in hell right now, gentlemen, believe me. And, we can stay here -- get the **** kicked out of us -- or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell one inch at a time.

Now, I can’t do it for you. I’m too old. I look around. I see these young faces, and I think -- I mean -- I made every wrong choice a middle-aged man can make. I, uh, I pissed away all my money, believe it or not. I chased off anyone who’s ever loved me. And lately, I can’t even stand the face I see in the mirror.

You know, when you get old in life things get taken from you. I mean that's...part of life. But, you only learn that when you start losing stuff. You find out life’s this game of inches. So is football. Because in either game, life or football, the margin for error is so small -- I mean one-half a step too late, or too early, and you don’t quite make it. One-half second too slow, too fast, you don’t quite catch it.

The inches we need are everywhere around us.

They’re in every break of the game, every minute, every second.

On this team, we fight for that inch. On this team, we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch, because we know when we add up all those inches that’s gonna make the ****in' difference between winning and losing! Between livin' and dyin'!

I’ll tell you this: In any fight, it’s the guy who’s willing to die who’s gonna win that inch. And I know if I’m gonna have any life anymore, it’s because I’m still willin' to fight and die for that inch. Because that’s what livin' is! The six inches in front of your face!!

Now I can’t make you do it. You got to look at the guy next to you. Look into his eyes! Now I think you’re gonna see a guy who will go that inch with you. You're gonna see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team because he knows, when it comes down to it, you’re gonna do the same for him!

That’s a team, gentleman!

And, either we heal, now, as a team, or we will die as individuals.

That’s football guys.

That's all it is.

Now, what are you gonna do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Or even better "Póg mo thoín cúnt-face"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Don't really feel nervous about this game like I did about the one in Dublin. I suppose it's just do or die now. Can't fault the team's performance ,or their effort, on Sat though. Statistically, the writing is on the wall though I fear. I'd say that tonight's match will be an emotional one and tempers could flare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

briany wrote: »
    Don't really feel nervous about this game like I did about the one in Dublin. I suppose it's just do or die now. Can't fault the team's performance ,or their effort, on Sat though. Statistically, the writing is on the wall though I fear. I'd say that tonight's match will be an emotional one and tempers could flare.

I feel the same mate. I was just nervous for the first match in case we got hammered. Tonight we have to score. No two ways about it. We have to attack. I hope the players disregard Trap's game plan tonight and go and attack France.

Just give us a goal lads. An early goal please.

i just have an awful feeling it will be like that game in Basel we had to win but ended up losing 2-0 I think :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

For everyone talking about how good France are, and how **** we are, they beat us 1-0, with a deflected goal.

This is still bloody winnable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

The last time there was a foreign invasion in Paris, the French capitulated and raised the white flag straight away. Time to take out the big guns (ie. the hunneymonster) and send some aerial bombardment into the French box. Come on Ireland, give them hell!

• Advertisement

and send some aerial bombardment into the French box. Come on Ireland, give them hell!

if you mean getting the full backs to hoof the ball up towards the other goal, well, that's all we done the other night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    if you mean getting the full backs to hoof the ball up towards the other goal, well, that's all we done the other night!

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Omens:
    (from the radio this mornin)
    France have never qualified for 4 WC's in a row (they have qualified for last 3)
    France have never played in a world cup who's year ended in '0'

Anymore people...
    I'm trying to convince myself :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Omens:
    France have never qualified for 4 WC's in a row (they have qualified for last 3)

Anymore people...

Nice 1. Dunno why I was getting so tense about it, I can relax now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Or even better - "C'est maintenant fini, mon pote. Alors, je parte, j'ai un rendez-vous avec ta mère!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Omens:

Anymore people...

The last time a (green)army hell bent on world(cup) domination arrived in their country, they surrendered...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I honestly don't see us getting though tonight unfortunatly, France have too powerfull a squad for us, our attackers just don't have the pace to take the game to them and I think they will beat us 1-0 , 2-1. In saying that i will still be wearing my green colours and cheering the lads on hoping for a miracle.Agree with Abidal being an advantage if he was playing, bad decisions and composure he is prone to buckling under pressure, pity he's out.

Best hope is a free kick or penalty and turn the pressure on them but we have to keep composed aswell. Penalty shoot out at least we have Shay Given which is an advantage, but they have some leathal finishers aswell.

COME ON IRELAND!!!!!!!

Omens:

Anymore people...

France played in the first world cup, in 1930. (and scored the first ever WC goal iirc).

Here's my own piece of info:

France have never beaten Ireland in a play-off to reach a finals tournament. :p

However, France have stopped us qualifying to the WC on 2 separate occasions, 1978 and 1982 (by winning the qualifying group, us coming second).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

That_Guy wrote: »
    We have to attack. I hope the players disregard Trap's game plan tonight and go and attack France.

Just give us a goal lads. An early goal please.

Couldnt disagree more with this. We need to keep it tight for 70 minutes, until France start thinking of settling for the 0-0 they need, and then go for it.

All out attack from the start would spell disaster.

Im in two minds about whether an early goal which would (a) stun the French into action with plenty of time on their side and (b) which we would be unlikey to defend anway based on our group performances would even be a good thing.

As Trap says, we need warm hearts and cold heads or whatever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Le gicking it

jesus i think i might go out for a walk when the match is on....

don't think i can handle it esp if we have a chance of doing it in the last 10 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Le gicking it

jesus i think i might go out for a walk when the match is on....

don't think i can handle it esp if we have a chance of doing it in the last 10 mins

the tension would be ridiculous. I would pacing the floor like a mad man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

France played in the first world cup, in 1930. (and scored the first ever WC goal iirc).

Thats some memory you got there bud

Well thats the first time the radio has ever been wrong :p

eddiehead wrote: »
    Thats some memory you got there bud

lol

I wasn't there in person obviously, but I had a series on VHS that I taped on BBC years ago that documented the World Cup up to 1990. Can;t remember for the life of me what the series was called, but I think that mentioned it.

Either that or I read it somewhere lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

whycliff wrote: »
    Three minutes till the biggest battle of our professional lives all comes down to today. Now either we heal as a team or we’re gonna crumble, inch by inch, play by play, 'til we’re finished.

We’re in hell right now, gentlemen, believe me. And, we can stay here -- get the **** kicked out of us -- or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell one inch at a time.

Now, I can’t do it for you. I’m too old. I look around. I see these young faces, and I think -- I mean -- I made every wrong choice a middle-aged man can make. I, uh, I pissed away all my money, believe it or not. I chased off anyone who’s ever loved me. And lately, I can’t even stand the face I see in the mirror.

You know, when you get old in life things get taken from you. I mean that's...part of life. But, you only learn that when you start losing stuff. You find out life’s this game of inches. So is football. Because in either game, life or football, the margin for error is so small -- I mean one-half a step too late, or too early, and you don’t quite make it. One-half second too slow, too fast, you don’t quite catch it.

The inches we need are everywhere around us.

They’re in every break of the game, every minute, every second.

On this team, we fight for that inch. On this team, we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch, because we know when we add up all those inches that’s gonna make the ****in' difference between winning and losing! Between livin' and dyin'!

I’ll tell you this: In any fight, it’s the guy who’s willing to die who’s gonna win that inch. And I know if I’m gonna have any life anymore, it’s because I’m still willin' to fight and die for that inch. Because that’s what livin' is! The six inches in front of your face!!

Now I can’t make you do it. You got to look at the guy next to you. Look into his eyes! Now I think you’re gonna see a guy who will go that inch with you. You're gonna see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team because he knows, when it comes down to it, you’re gonna do the same for him!

That’s a team, gentleman!

And, either we heal, now, as a team, or we will die as individuals.

That’s football guys.

That's all it is.

Now, what are you gonna do?

The last thing we need is Ray Charles playing for us, although according to Dunphy he might have better vision then some of our midfielders :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

sb_nosurrender.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

We would not be the first team to go to Paris needing a win to get to the World Cup and deny France their place, if the game ended like this it would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

The only thing to fear tonight is that the Ireland team gives another bloodless performance akin to the last two or three times they've seen qualification hopes evaporate in front of their eyes. I doubt that will happen though under Trapattoni. I hope the match is not the footballing equivalent of a little guy trying to hit a big guy by milling his arms around but the big guy just has his hand on the little guy's head keeping him out of reach. We'll know in the first ten minutes or so. Any word on how many Irish made it to Paris?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭big_show

Keith Andrews 8/1 to get the first card...I'm very tempted...he has business to settle after all.

Advertisement