Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

matrim wrote: »
    If this is true it makes it even more disgraceful from the ref

Taken from here

He ran off and celebrated after the goal. if he said it to the ref it was prob after the game when it was too late.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

flanzer wrote: »
    Deffo, you could here the jears in the crowd when it was replayed. The same feed you were watching was being displayed inthe stadium
    Thanks, I have to ask then why didn't the ref just f**kin wait and look and the big screen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,349 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

surely if a previous match has been replayed, in a world cup, it can happen again,

did anyone read the:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/germany2006/news/newsid=27212.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

1110: In case you missed them, by the way, here a selection of the back page headlines from this morning. If you did not observe an injustice last night, you might want to look the other way. "Le Cheat" (Daily Express). "Le Hand of God" (The Sun). "Ireland robbed by cruel hand of Henry" (Guardian). "French nickers" (Mirror). "Hand of Henry shatters Ireland" (Times). "Hand of God II" (Daily Mail). "Hand Gaul!" (Independent). "Hand of Henry cheats Irish" (Telegraph). Ouch.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Horgan wrote: »
    surely if a previous match has been replayed, in a world cup, it can happen again,

did anyone read the:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive...sid=27212.html

I don't see how that is relevant

That game was replayed because the ref did not apply the rule correctly, not because the ref (or his assistants) missed a breach of the rules.
    1) At the score of 1-0 in favour of Uzbekistan, in the 39th minute of the match, the referee decided to award a penalty kick to Uzbekistan;
    2) The penalty kick was taken and led to goal in favour of Uzbekistan;
    3) Before the penalty kick was carried out, an Uzbek player entered the penalty area;
    4) Consequently, the referee awarded an indirect free kick to the Bahrain team;
    5) However, in such a situation, the Laws of the Game require the referee to order the penalty kick to be retaken;

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Another thing to take from last night was the dispelling of the fears prior to the draw about getting Russia. I watched the first leg and saw the highlights of the second leg, Russia totally underestimated Slovenia. I knew they would, and I found it perplexing as to why people were breathing a sigh of relief over "avoiding Russia".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Horgan wrote: »

This is completely different.

The referee in that instance did indeed recognise the offence, but failed to apply to laws of the game correctly.

This was a technical error on behalf of the match official.

The hand ball incident is not a technical error if the referee / linesman claim to not have seen it.
    I'm afraid that, any protest made against FIFA would fall on deaf ears.

Edit*

BTW - possibly the only sports site on the web without a mention of the handball:
    http://www.fifa.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Scien wrote: »

Waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Just a couple of points...

First off, I would be more than happy to say that I don't blame Henry, and anyone would do it if they thought they could get away with it. I would be more than happy to say that he he stood up and admitted it. But no, he maintains he didn't mean to handball it. He is a liar and a cheat.

FIFA have come out this morning and said that they have no comment to make on the match and they don't intend to make a comment either. Their match report http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1136804.html#gallas+breaks+irish+hearts
    barely mentions any controversy, so they just want to move on.

If organisations like UEFA and FIFA are going to retrospectively ban people like Eduardo for cheating, then a precedent has been set and they need to honour it.

You know, Henry was cheating all through that match and ironically I had just sent a text saying as much to a mate of mine before the handball happened. Henry said before the game that he didn't expect much from Ireland...and in the end he had to cheat his way to a French victory because of this "nothing".

It's cruel.

I have to say though, another thing that really bothered me last night. A chap I know, a very vocal and passionate Liverpool fan came on to Facebook and said...well lads if you had the choice to support England or France who would it be? Do we really hate England? FFS I certainly don't and would love to see them do a job on the french for us. Listening to all the english people (well maybe not all, but certainly a majority) texting into Sky Sports news to complain about how we were robbed etc...well it's nice to see to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I was just reading Le Monde through Google translate. They do seem fairly sympathetic to us, and according to BBC, Bixente Lizarazu said: "We're going to go the World Cup, but we go to the locker-room with our heads bowed. It was not something to be proud of. I'm not going to party."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

prendy wrote: »
    He ran off and celebrated after the goal. if he said it to the ref it was prob after the game when it was too late.

you do know i was talking about Dunne going up in my estimation, not Henry?

henry going up to him was as smug as you can get, and Dunne could have swung and everyone would have understood.

henry should have just ran down the tunnel straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I know it wasn't an international match but what about the Sheff U - Arsenal game in the cup a few years ago?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

FIFA have come out this morning and said that they have no comment to make on the match and they don't intend to make a comment either.

That sums up my thoughts and feelings regarding FIFA and UEFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Thanks, I have to ask then why didn't the ref just f**kin wait and look and the big screen!

I was at the match and didn't see any replay.
    Don't think they showed any replays on the big screen.

It wasn't the same feed, every time there was a little break, the screen was saying "Allez les Bleu", I'm sure you weren't seeing this at home...

Gutted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Dave! wrote: »
    BBC doin a live text update thing for reaction to the whole thing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8367913.stm

It's certainly taking on a life of its own isn't it ? Being reported worldwide, seems to be universal outrage at what happened, and people are getting quite exercised about it.

Maybe a replay isn't completely crazy? If the French FA come under enough pressure to offer a replay, then maybe

We can dream, it's all we have left :(
    Shows the people who are saying that if the glove were on the other hand nothing would be getting said. the mass outrage seen in many countries shows that this is not just us Irish over-reacting to 'one of those things', it is a disgrace, nothing less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There are numerous reasons why FIFA can't and won't allow a replay to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Tom65 wrote: »
    I was just reading Le Monde through Google translate. They do seem fairly sympathetic to us, and according to BBC, Bixente Lizarazu said: "We're going to go the World Cup, but we go to the locker-room with our heads bowed. It was not something to be proud of. I'm not going to party."

He says that now. He won't be saying that when he's actually in South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I understand that they won't allow a replay but can you give the numerous reasons why they can't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

SlickRic wrote: »
    the referees were faultless bar that one incident. absolutely faultless.

one mistake by the officials all tie is pretty good. so i'll actually forgive them for not seeing one. (don't all jump on me at once!)

for me, it's the fault of Fifa, plain and simple.

as Stephen Kelly said, video evidence should have been introduced 15 years ago.

One mistake? One that really stood out, sure but not the only mistakes.....

Countless fouls on Keane and Doyle were not given, it's also my understanding that players deemed to be diving should be booked, no?

In that case, Evra probably should not have even been playing in the return leg and two further cards should have been shown on the night, make that 3, for the handball too....

Diarra was running riot in midfield and even stopped to look up at the ref half expecting to be called up for a foul, there was a look of surprise on his face that he got away with it on more than one occasion!

Twice Henry pulled O'Shea down to the ground by grabbing his shirt and twice he was awarded the free!

Need I continue further? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/nov/19/republic-of-ireland-france-world-cup

This comment is probably closer to the mark than what actually happened last night for those conspiracy theorists out there.
    wrote:
    I am sure there will be much further comment to come after the dust has cleared, but the Gallas goal against Ireland has to be the most disappointing incident I have encountered for quite some time. Going by the history of this year's World Cup playoffs, with teams being re-seeded once more as an extra insurance policy for FIFA to make sure the biggest teams chances' of qualifying would be weighted in their favour, the means by which France won (anyone who has not seen the goal really should watch and prepare to be appalled) leaves a sickening aftertaste and calls into question justice and equality within the game. For a country with such an avid, loyal support, such as the Irish, this travesty is a kick in the teeth and will perhaps represent the beginning of the end of ?the beautiful game?.

The match report as listed on FIFA.com, which I must say is individual to say the least compared to any other news website report of the match I have read, is a further insult to the game as it should be played, as well as an indictment on the governing organisation. It simply states ?France skipper Thierry Henry won the match for the hosts when his angled pass amid a goalmouth scramble was met by the head of Wiliam Gallas?, without any reference to the blatant cheating that took place, or the fact that it went unpunished. In an ironic twist to what FIFA is all about, could this moment be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back and drive people away from the sport? In the case of this lifelong football fan, yes it is....

An interesting sidenote after reading all the comments about Chelsea's defeat to Barcelona for the last year....Compare Drogba's disgraceful reaction to that match with the Irish players applauding and giving their jerseys to the Irish fans after the France game.......different class...

PS... I tried to post this on FIFA.com, but apparently, there are ?profanities? within that prevent me from doing so....are criticisms of FIFA categorised as profanities these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Lads, can anyone confirm if the goal was replayed on the big screen in the stadium??

This is another point I wanted to make last night but I was starting to slurr...

After the goal went in, there was a very long pause where panoramic shots of thh crowd were shown, I thought it very strange and Hamilton even mentioned "and if we can get a look at the reply", I suspected that they may not be showing the replay in the stadium and I believe that was confirmed by a poster on this thread, I cannot personally confirm. But I remember thinking this to myself.

Disgusting really.

Corcs001 wrote: »
    I understand that they won't allow a replay but can you give the numerous reasons why they can't?

- offering a replay would set a precedent FIFA will strive to avoid at all costs. Not just in terms of replays being an option in cases of 'universally accepted injustices', but in terms of the idea that 'the referees decision is final';
    - draw arranged for December 4th;
    - a replay between now and then would cause cancellation of some European / Domestic fixtures and cause consternation amongst clubs involved;

There is also the fact that they will be delighted with last night's result from a financial perspective, particularly in light of Russia's defeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

although i accept the result has to stand i do think that the official FIFA website is a disgrace for not even mentioning it in their match review.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

That maybe so.........

However there is only one reason for the replay and it just happens to be a backbone of FIFA's intentions for the sport and that's Fair Play!

This far outweights everything else........or at least it should

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

enda1 wrote: »
    I was at the match and didn't see any replay.
    Don't think they showed any replays on the big screen.

It wasn't the same feed, every time there was a little break, the screen was saying "Allez les Bleu", I'm sure you weren't seeing this at home...

Gutted.

Thanks I read this last night and someone said this.

I mean Zidane was sent off because the 4th official seen the TV replay.

Still gutted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Seeing the pictures of Duffer in tears this morning is hard to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Samba wrote: »
    This is another point I wanted to make last night but I was starting to slurr...

After the goal went in, there was a very long pause where panoramic shots of thh crowd were shown, I thought it very strange and Hamilton even mentioned "and if we can get a look at the reply", I suspected that they may not be showing the replay in the stadium and I believe that was confirmed by a poster on this thread, I cannot personally confirm. But I remember thinking this to myself.

Disgusting really.
    They never show replays in the Stadiums, it always cuts to an ad. And they especially wouldn't replay controversial incidents.

• Advertisement

Samba wrote: »

Disgusting really.

Very good point, it was almost as if French TV were debating "ooohhhh, should we cover this one up?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Gallas kept looking up at trhe big screen after the goal with a nervous guilty head on him so....

oh and as for World cup games replayed

Time for the chap from Dundalk to use the petrol can and stand outside the FAI HQ til they do something!!

prendy wrote: »
    although i accept the result has to stand i do think that the official FIFA website is a disgrace for not even mentioning it in their match review.
    yom 1 wrote: »
    That maybe so.........

However there is only one reason for the replay and it just happens to be a backbone of FIFA's intentions for the sport and that's Fair Play!

This far outweights everything else........or at least it should

Lads, I agree completely! Unfortunately, justice and fairness often lose out in the business of sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

- offering a replay would set a precedent FIFA will strive to avoid at all costs. Not just in terms of replays being an option in cases of 'universally accepted injustices', but in terms of the idea that 'the referees decision is final';
    - draw arranged for December 4th;
    - a replay between now and then would cause cancellation of some European / Domestic fixtures and cause consternation amongst clubs involved;

There is also the fact that they will be delighted with last night's result from a financial perspective, particularly in light of Russia's defeat.

The 4th Dec is quite key I suppose. They couldn't have a ball with France/Ireland in it as the 2 teams will get a different seeding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

11155_199362818108_680478108_3962231_874517_n.jpg

11155_199363253108_680478108_3962234_3865735_n.jpg

13540_555715377538_276702578_2869153_4469527_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    Gallas kept looking up at trhe big screen after the goal with a nervous guilty head on him so....

oh and as for World cup games replayed

Hmmmm........interesting...?? But as I said before, a certain Monsieur Michel Platini is the head of UEFA, so I can't see a replay being sanctioned!? Particularly after he changed the rules to suit his home country, and that of Sepp Blatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

accidental my hole.

looking at the f*cking thing as he caresses it perfectly with his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

will the fai bother to lodge a formal complaint????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

SlickRic wrote: »

looking at the f*cking thing as he caresses it perfectly with his hand.

You could almost say he made love to it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sean St Ledger on sky sports news now.
    Very good interview and a very good player by all accounts, hes improving so much.
    Im even more gutted for the lads today than after the game lastnight :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I just feel devestated.

I am so sorry for those lads who played their heart out for the Irish shirt last night. They were robbed, not me, who the **** am i, but those lads went and totally outplayed and outclassed a team of supposed world class opponents. There is no justice in football and im just left wondering why i attach myself to this sport so much when it only continues to **** on my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I just feel devestated.

I am so sorry for those lads who played their heart out for the Irish shirt last night. They were robbed, not me, who the **** am i, but those lads went and totally outplayed and outclassed a team of supposed world class opponents. There is no justice in football and im just left wondering why i attach myself to this sport so much when it only continues to **** on my face.

sums up how I feel today, still sickened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Here's a complex legal argument:

Could the FAI sue FIFA for potential lost revenue due to their match officials failing to officiate the game in a proper manner?

It could be quite easily proved that from the position that the linesman was standing that he should have seen the incident.

Examples of other sports using TV replays to help officials could be used, as well as the issue being brought up numerous times over the years - so its not like its a new idea being brought to the fore.

Probably would not be a successful claim, but I'd bet yer man who defended Saddam or yer man who defended OJ would take the claim on...

It could at least force the issue that TV replays need to be brought into the sport, even if not found in our favour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

DEVEREUX wrote: »
    will the fai bother to lodge a formal complaint????

FAI Press Conference at 2pm according to newstalk. Interesting to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Given, O Shea, Dunne, St Ledger, Kilbane, Whelan, Andrews, Duff, Lawrence, Keane, Doyle = HEROES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Beware of pickpockets in Paris...they'll steal your country's dreams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Just heard FIFA say they won't have a rematch, referring to some bull**** Law 5 or something saying that what an official does during a match is set in stone - yet a game between Uzbekistan and Bahrain was replayed in 2005 or so.

What is also bull**** is Domenech after the match saying it was a pity that France didn't score five or six goals - HA! You were played off the pitch. Any country going to the WC finals in South Africa will have a fair go at France now, they are not the team they used to be. Out in the group stages.

Trilla wrote: »
    Given, O Shea, Dunne, St Ledger, Kilbane, Whelan, Andrews, Duff, Lawrence, Keane, Doyle = HEROES

Man of the match for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I think I feel worse today over this. It may be a while before I can watch another game of football, he'll I think I'll stick with the astro 5 a side for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Probably would not be a successful claim, but I'd bet yer man who defended Saddam or yer man who defended OJ would take the claim on...

Considering the guy who defended OJ died a couple of years ago, I don't think he'd make a great case.

The problem with suing FIFA is that it would make us a pariah in world football terms. We don't have weight to throw around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement