Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

The BBC have a live reaction page that is constantly updated

Fifa Fair Play Code: "Play fair. Winning is without value if victory has been achieved unfairly or dishonestly. Cheating is easy, but brings no pleasure. Playing fair requires courage and character. It is also more satisfying. Fair play always has its reward, even when the game is lost. Playing fair earns respect, while cheating only brings shame. Remember: it is only a game. And games are pointless unless played fairly."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Yeah there's no way FIFA will order a rematch.

If it was France who'd been knocked out though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I think I feel worse today over this. It may be a while before I can watch another game of football, he'll I think I'll stick with the astro 5 a side for now.

With all thats gone on in the League of Ireland and now this. I'm off to Old Trafford this weekend and I'm not one bit excited about it. Sour taste aren't the words...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Can this be taken to the Court of Arbitration for Sport? UEFA and FIFA won't do a thing, but CAS might.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Trilla wrote: »
    Given, O Shea, Dunne, St Ledger, Kilbane, Whelan, Andrews, Duff, Lawrence, Keane, Doyle = HEROES

If only they had been heroes on Saturday aswell :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The1337_Stephen

Lawrence truly was immense last night, i'd gladly have him in the side for any of our future matches... seems to have the passing postential of Steven Reid..

The whole team played epically well, its the best Irish performance i have seen in years. For us to go out in such a fashion is a travesty, an absolute travesty.

Through the whole lineup i can't fault a single one of them, we don't have the most creative players..

what we do have is a squad full of Heroes, who actually reignited my love for irish football.

No matter what happened, they'll still remain Heroes to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

I am completely gutted by last nights and what transpired. Is replaying the match going to happen, as other posters have pointed out its probably just not viable and I cant see it happening. I would wonder though if the situation was reversed and France were robbed in the exact same we were last night, would Platini be pushing for a replay then. Or had this happened for example in the champions league final what would happen? I dont know just thinking out aloud.

The one thing I hope that comes from this is that Fifa learn from this and something is done to make sure it never happens again. I know this wont help us now, but if a lesson is not learned from this mistake well that would be the biggest travesty of all.

I would also like to hear exactly what is the match officials view of the incident. Surely they must have known something was off considering the reaction of the players, and the linesman should have been able to see both the hand ball and the offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Can this be taken to the Court of Arbitration for Sport? UEFA and FIFA won't do a thing, but CAS might.

The thing is, people are calling for a replay. Let's say we got it, then we have to do the whole thing again! We were 16 minutes from penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Trilla wrote: »
    Given, O Shea, Dunne, St Ledger, Kilbane, Whelan, Andrews, Duff, Lawrence, Keane, Doyle = HEROES

Arent they just?

Just an outrageous amount of passion put in. I couldnt ask more of them. They were inspirational.

Ive slated Glen Whelan and Keith Andrews before, slated them, but they were incredible last night, when it counted, and for that they have earned my trust.

St.Ledger established himself as a genuine quality footballer of the highest level last night, as he along with Richard Dunne nullified one of the most feared attacks in world football.

Damien Duff was 2002 Duffer.

Kevin Doyle, well, didnt you just get the feeling he would have given his life out there if Trappatoni asked him to.

I could comment for every player but its actually just upsetting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

jasonorr wrote: »
    The thing is, people are calling for a replay. Let's say we got it, then we have to do the whole thing again! We were 16 minutes from penalties.

Well then at least Duffer, Keano, O'Shea & Doyle would have a chance not to miss openers again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

I haven't had time to read through all the previous posts so apologies if i am repeating what others have said.

I am not hugely involved with soccer, but am involved with coaching sport to kids and of course always support the boys in green, no matter what the code. To say I am disappointed is an understatement.

I am absolutely disgusted with Henry. I used to use him as an example for kids to look up, for kids to aspire to not only because of his football ability but also because of his honesty and integrity both on and off the pitch. This is now in tatters. All the respect I ever had for him is now gone. The way he sat down beside Dunne at the end of the game just proved he knew he had done the wrong thing.

The Irish lads played their hearts out last night, they believed they could do it. They left nothing on the pitch. Their reaction at the end of the game is testament to this, Damien Duff's tears said it all.

I would hope the FAI stand tall over this and I for one do not think that calls for a replay are ridiculous. The precedent is there to order a rematch. I challenge FIFA to stand by their fair play charter and order a replay of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

I'm no fan of the "Mirror" tabloid but lol at their headline "French nickers" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Zombie eat brains, but zombie cannot swallow this injustice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

token56 wrote: »
    I would also like to hear exactly what is the match officials view of the incident.
    I think the ref thought it hits Henry's side, you can see him indicating it in this clip at about the 55s mark.

...and the linesman should have been able to see both the hand ball and the offside.
    And that's the biggest tragedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

rocco wrote: »

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

cmyk wrote: »
    FAI Press Conference at 2pm according to newstalk. Interesting to hear.

is this being televised, or online. anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Henry is no cheat.

The ball was there, he handled it and they scored - end of.

Doyle said he tried it and got away it with and so be it.

Fault lies with the officials.

The rules of the game state that the use of your HANDS to control the ball is illegal. Therefore, controlling the ball with your hands to set up a goal is CHEATING. The officials or anybody else for that matter cannot be held responsible for cheating I wouldnt blame the official in this case as to expect them not to make mistakes is unrealisitic.

TV TECHNOLOGY WILL ELIMINATE CHEATING LIKE THIS.

Quite simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think the ref thought it hits Henry's side, you can see him indicating it in this clip at about the 55s mark.

Good spot, looks like he did indeed think it hit is side, which to be honest is a bit mad when you consider the ball was going away from him, and given the position of his body, for the ball to come back in the way it did, he would have had to shift his body forward which he didn't do. But of this is all very easy to see in a slow motion replay and in live action there is probably no way he would be thinking like that.

But yes I do have to agree the biggest tragedy is the linesman. How he did not see either the offside or the handball is beyond me. I mean normally a handball can be a very quick slight touch of the hand and can be hard to see but here it was handle twiced surely the linesmen's eyes must have been aimed at the ball, so how they didn't see it is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

From RTE Sport - FIFA insist there will be no replay

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1119/fifa.html

So depressed after such a good performance last night and being robbed :(

But yes I do have to agree the biggest tragedy is the linesman. How he did not see either the offside or the handball is beyond me. I mean normally a handball can be a very quick slight touch of the hand and can be hard to see but here it was handle twiced surely the linesmen's eyes must have been aimed at the ball, so how they didn't see it is beyond me.
    You can see at 1:20 that he had a perfect view of it.

Argghhhh! The more I look at this the more angry I get! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

BaZmO* wrote: »

Look at Gallas , he knew Henry handled it , look at the guilt on his face as hes watching the replay :(:(:(:(:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

m@cc@ wrote: »

96462.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Apparently the go ahead has been given to rename Dublin's Henry Street to 'Cheat Street'

From RTE Sport - FIFA insist there will be no replay

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1119/fifa.html

So depressed after such a good performance last night and being robbed :(

Law 5 can be challenged due to the fact that other match linked to earlier was replayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Someone has probably already mentioned this but after the game henry actually said "i cheated" to richard dunne and both have covered it up in interviews.it happened when they were sitting together after the game

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Flipz4Rollz

OMG I havent been able to get up all day. My anger has now turned to sadness and amost depression.

Our boys put in an unbelieveable performance considering we had to play with 10 men when o'shea came off.

Why was gibson brought on? We had Reid on the bench!

Everytime I see the replay of le scum running off celebratring after ****ing cheating us out of the WC it kills me a little inside.

wp boys, wp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Why was gibson brought on? We had Reid on the bench!

What? Reid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

deisedevil wrote: »
    What? Reid?

I'm confused by that one too!!? They weren't on the bench!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

LOL :D;)

Former France international David Ginola on BBC Radio 5 Live: "I'm very embarrassed by the situation. I don't feel very proud to be French this morning. The Irish played very well and they deserved to go through as much as France, maybe more. I'm very surprised Fifa haven't mentioned anything about it - the whole world saw the handball. This is a pure injustice. Everyone in France, the press and everyone, says there should be a replay."

Keep the momentum going !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Stargate wrote: »
    Look at Gallas , he knew Henry handled it , look at the guilt on his face as hes watching the replay :(:(:(:(:mad::mad::mad:

Theyd didnt show the replay in the stadium until 5 or 6 minutes after the goal and that replay was completely inconclusive.

I would love if either a) FIFA are pressured into allowing a replay, and we either qualify, or at least bow out justly b)France do another 2002, and don't get out of their bloody group.

Dave! wrote: »
    Former France international David Ginola on BBC Radio 5 Live: "I'm very embarrassed by the situation. I don't feel very proud to be French this morning. The Irish played very well and they deserved to go through as much as France, maybe more. I'm very surprised Fifa haven't mentioned anything about it - the whole world saw the handball. This is a pure injustice. Everyone in France, the press and everyone, says there should be a replay."

Keep the momentum going !

It's gonna make **** all difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Flipz4Rollz

deisedevil wrote: »
    What? Reid?

I'm assuming stephen reid was on the bench?

Well you're assuming wrong

No. Neither of the Reid's were on the bench! I don't know where that came from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Ah here, we're all disappointed but let's stick to the facts at least.

• Advertisement

Johnny Aldridge was on the bench too, can't believe he didn't play ! :mad:

Probably the ref didn't let him on, it's like 94 all over again !

Duff doesn't blame Henry. He makes a good point too.

Really feel for him in this clip, he really seems devastated.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8367895.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

Yeah, its really a shame for players like Duff and Kilbane and the entire Irish team. They played like champions last night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Yeah, its really a shame for players like Duff and Kilbane and the entire Irish team. They played like champions last night!!

Last week Duff was all but ruled out of both legs by Fulham but he made it anyway. You can tell he really loves representing his country. Hope he has 2 more years left in him and he gets a 2nd major tournament uder his belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

More terrible for Duff, Given, Keane, Kilbane, Dunne and the senior members of the squad. They wont get to play in a World Cup ever again. They were given an almost impossible task to make it to South Africa, and what makes it worse, they did enough to achieve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Liveline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,271 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think Henry is a liar. The replay is so clear. You can even see him adjust his hand position for his second touch!:mad: Oh Henry told the ref he handled it......after the game. People say that we would have taken it if it went for us and I cannot disagree but if it had, the wheels would already have been in motion for the replay but FIFA will just laugh at our request or demands as the case may be. I hope that the French people enjoy their World Cup but I hope that it weighs on the teams conscience that they got there on a blatant cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Lauder wrote: »
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1469&d=1258638633

I am quite proud of this photo!

Provide the url of the photo maybe? Can't view the page unless you register.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Trap press conf.

http://www.rte.ie/live/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

kanye3.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement