Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

traps news conference starting shortly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

I say we all march to FIFA HQ and give them hell!!! Soccer is gone to pot. So many injustices in the game now it makes me sick especially the way we went out last night. I would have to agree with Trap, it would have been better to go out on penalties than go out to a goal that was as clear as day injust. FIFA should be ashamed for first seeding us with a stronger nation and then not having to balls to give us a replay. I know we were 13 min from penalties but Gallas' goal was just disgraceful!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hoping for a Strunz-style rant from Trap at the press conference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I say we all march to FIFA HQ and give them hell!!! Soccer is gone to pot. So many injustices in the game now it makes me sick especially the way we went out last night. I would have to agree with Trap, it would have been better to go out on penalties than go out to a goal that was as clear as day injust. FIFA should be ashamed for first seeding us with a stronger nation and then not having to balls to give us a replay. I know we were 13 min from penalties but Gallas' goal was just disgraceful!!
    Indeed.

Anyone know the best marching route to Zurich?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

I hope he lashes at FIFA and the linesman last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

It's a long walk to Zurich, you better get moving!

9.5 days according to Google Maps!

March to FIFA HQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Stargate wrote: »
    Look at Gallas , he knew Henry handled it , look at the guilt on his face as hes watching the replay :(:(:(:(:mad::mad::mad:
    Look at him here. The ball has barely left his head and he's looking at the linesman.

10_666x450_931607a.jpg

I hope he calls it like it is

no holding back

its live now

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

Trap is blaming the ref at the news conference

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Someone transcribe!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

Someone transcribe!!

What the hell is he saying!! Need another translator

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cant get sound on my work machine :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He accepts there will be no replay, lays the blame at the ref and FIFA's criteria for appointing him.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

I'd prefer if he just spoke Italian and let his interpreter present his response more concisely. It's hard to make out what he's saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Asked about video technology, he thinks it has to be introduced at some stage. "Stopping the match for 30 seconds is better"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Dave! wrote: »
    Former France international David Ginola on BBC Radio 5 Live: "I'm very embarrassed by the situation. I don't feel very proud to be French this morning. The Irish played very well and they deserved to go through as much as France, maybe more. I'm very surprised Fifa haven't mentioned anything about it - the whole world saw the handball. This is a pure injustice. Everyone in France, the press and everyone, says there should be a replay."

Keep the momentum going !

True , you never know !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Trap says hes gonna advise FIFA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Childish I know and I can not structure a mail correctly but I sent this to Gillette, through their site
    Me wrote:
    Hello,
    I am just wondering if you are going to change your slogan to "Gillette: The Best a Cheat Can Get"

One of your high profile "sportsmen" has shown himself to be a cheat, who will stop at nothing, to further his own interests. Not the image that I want to promote, by buying your products.

I understand, of course, that you have no blame for this man's actions but I can not be seen to condone his actions, by purchasing your products any longer.

Kind Regards,
    NR

• Advertisement

Scien wrote: »
    Where's Brady to give Hell?

Agreed Brady should be there to really give them a whacking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

He is also saying that extra time in a two legged play off is unfair, that after playing two sets of 90 minutes the game should go straight to penalties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

He is also saying that extra time in a two legged play off is unfair, that after playing two sets of 90 minutes the game should go straight to penalties

Thats not a bad shout

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Duff doesn't blame Henry. He makes a good point too.

Really feel for him in this clip, he really seems devastated.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8367895.stm

Tnx for the link ,

Well said duffer !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

LoL

Trapp is a legend.

The journo is a dick. He already answered that qustion 5mins ago!

I hoped to see an angry Trap but instead hes cool calm and collected which is probably wise on a personal level but we as fans need a voice today and a damn loud one at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

a sign of things...can't say we weren't warned..:D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/handball/7579555.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,271 ✭✭✭✭briany

There is no pride in France today with the scandalous way the French have gone through. I cannot recognise France's World Cup campaign anymore because I regard their qualification as Illegitimate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Childish I know and I can not structure a mail correctly but I sent this to Gillette, through their site

Im embarassed for you.
    Duff said it himself that he and most of the lads would have done the same to win it.

People are so deluded. We missed our chances, its our fault and noone elses.
    Id love for there to be a replay because i think we'd beat them but on the other hand it would be silly and childish of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

rocco wrote: »
    Thats not a bad shout

Yeah, considering it gives the away team an extra 30 minutes to get that away goal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Great article here, sums it up nicely...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/nov/19/thierry-henry-handball-france-ireland
    Thierry Henry had about five seconds in which to decide to join the immortals. While William Gallas wheeled away from the point-blank header which gave France the lead over the Republic of Ireland during extra time in their World Cup play-off last night, Henry's reaction could have gone one of two ways.
    In the act of controlling the ball before providing Gallas with a perfect cross, France's captain had handled it. Not once, but twice. The first time might have been almost inadvertent, a pardonable reflex action as it was about to go out of play. The second, in which he scooped the ball with his left hand, redirecting it to drop nicely on to his right foot, was clearly intentional.
    Even there, it could be argued that an element of reflex was involved. But in the few seconds that followed, Henry had two options. He could pretend that he had not broken the most basic law of outfield play. Or he could take the opportunity to neutralise the effect of his reflexes. To erase an error. To right a wrong. To be a man.
    The world, or quite a lot of it, was watching. His president was in the seat of honour in the Stade de France. Almost everyone important in French football had assembled to cheer the team on in this vital match. It was the perfect stage for an act of unselfishness, of honesty, of genuine sportsmanship.
    Such incidents are not confined to the pages of history. In 1997 Robbie Fowler unsuccessfully pleaded with the referee to rescind the award of a penalty to Liverpool at Highbury after the whistle had been blown for a perceived foul on him by David Seaman. In 2000, while playing for West Ham, Paolo Di Canio stopped play by catching the ball when he saw that the opposition's goalkeeper, Paul Gerrard of Everton, was lying helpless in the penalty area after twisting his knee while clearing the ball. Last March, during a Romanian first division match between Rapid Bucharest and Otelul Galati, Costin Lazar of Rapid refused to take a penalty because he did not believe he had been fouled, and eventually the official agreed with him.
    I don't know anything about Costin Lazar, but I do know that Fowler was a streetwise scally and that Di Canio, who once pushed the referee Paul Alcock to the ground after being shown a red card, was in the habit of exchanging Fascist salutes with his hometown supporters at Lazio. Those incidents shifted our perception of them. Some seed of goodness had to lurk within men capable of such essentially unselfish acts. And they are there forever, in black and white, on the public record.
    We all know which way Henry decided to go. With a broad, exultant beam on his face, he raced away from the scene of the crime to join Gallas and their team-mates in celebration of a goal that all knew was likely to be decisive in the battle for a place in next summer's World Cup finals.
    For this was no ordinary piece of cheating. National pride and tens of millions of euros were at stake. So much greater, then, would have been the admiration of a decision to own up. Instead Henry chose to go down a path which exposed not just his own human frailty but the paranoid fear of failure running through a French squad (and their manager) haunted by comparisons with the glories of the recent past.
    Henry was a hopeless captain at Arsenal and he is a hopeless captain of France. On Wednesday he did not have the gumption to say, "OK, that wasn't a goal" – an admission on which the referee would have been obliged to act – "but we'll use the remaining quarter of an hour's play to demonstrate that we are better than the Irish and more deserving of a place in the final 32 in South Africa next year."
    And, being Henry, he reacted to the final whistle not by celebrating with his team- mates but by making a show of going over and sitting down on the turf to commiserate with the dejected Richard Dunne, the most heroic of Irish players. He told Dunne that the Irish had deserved to win, and admitted that he had handled the ball. "But," he added, "I am not the referee."
    No, mon brave, but you are the captain of France, the country that gave us the World Cup, and here you had the chance to show us what sport can mean – or, at least, what we tell our children it means.
    To rank the incident in Paris alongside Diego Maradona's "Hand of God" in 1986 is misleading. That was a street kid's instinct, acclaimed by his compatriots as revenge for Antonio Rattín and the Malvinas. Henry may come from Les Ulis, a quartier difficile outside Paris, but he is a sophisticated man, and a much decorated one. A chevalier of the Legion d'Honneur should have done better – by his opponents, by himself, and by the game.

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »
    Yeah, considering it gives the away team an extra 30 minutes to get that away goal!

or the home team and the additional half hour with home advantage and all that goes with it as we seen last night :mad:

Thats not a bad shout

I said that myself yesterday at lunch but was reminded that it was also an extra 30min for an away goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Sky Sports wrote: »
    French Football Federation president Jean-Pierre Escalettes says the Republic of Ireland must move on from their World Cup heartache.
    The Republic were beaten 2-1 in their two-legged qualifier against France on Wednesday after a highly controversial goal in extra time broke Irish

hearts in Paris.

Thierry Henry blatantly handballed in the area as he set up William Gallas to head into an empty net, but referee Martin Hansson allowed the goal to stand despite the protests of the visitors.

Escalettes praised the Irish team for taking the game right down to the wire, however, although he said he understood their frustration, thinks they should move on from the incident.

"We were stunned and were not able to develop our game - I understand that the Irish are frustrated," he told French newspaper L'Equipe.

"They must forget this evening and use it for the future.

"You have to take a philosophical approach to this match. Football is played on small details, however, qualification is still beautiful."

The controversial goal sparked mass protests from the Republic ranks and France striker Henry has even admitted that he handled the ball, although he insists it was accidental.

Despite Escalettes calling for Giovanni Trapattoni's side to move on, the incident is sure to remain lodged in Irish minds as they outplayed France and fully deserved to earn a place in South Africa next year.

Assistant manager Liam Brady has called the refereeing decision 'shameful', while a number of players have also hit out at the official's error.

how smug do you want to be?

seriously?

SlickRic wrote: »
    how smug do you want to be?

seriously?

that's most the french for ya

south_park_smug.jpg

I said that myself yesterday at lunch but was reminded that it was also an extra 30min for an away goal

Yes nut it works both ways as per my previous comment the home team get an extra hlf hour at home .The French got this with all the trappings last night . Stright to pen's might be a fair way to go.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Look at him here. The ball has barely left his head and he's looking at the linesman.

10_666x450_931607a.jpg

And...............
    Look at our lads ALL with hands in air instantly saying HANDBALL !!!!!!!
    That linesman first missed the 2 offside and THEN even tho he`s looking straight across missed the handball , i dont care what anyones says , HE saw the handball no doubt about it :( even Gilesy said so , so it must be right !!
    Im going to go look at the Henry/Gallas celebration after the goal , they were like 2 guilty kids after robbing sweets from the store .....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

If there was a replay I think we'd be trounced. France won't play as badly again and Ireland won't be able to muster the same spirit as they did last night. It was all or nothing for them, and we got nothing.

We threw the contest away over two legs with some criminal misses. First place we should look is at ourselves for these mistakes, but also look at the shear class we put forward in our workmanship, ball skills and determination. Something I haven't seen in a while, but unfortunately something our boys wont show us this Summer.

Let's stop calling for blood I think and instead try to fix the problems in the game so that this situation can not arise again. Bring in Video Replays in some fashion and get rid of seeding of playoffs! <- If the teams being seeded are so fucking good, they wouldn't have come second in their groups!

BigCon wrote: »

It's a good read, but to make an allowance for Maradonna because he was a street kid and then condemn Henry (who grew up in a rough suberb in of Paris) because he is sophisticated (which must mean he wears nice clothes or speaks French) is hypocrisy of the highest order.

Very few footballers have done "the right thing" when put in these situations. Henry didn't and that is very disappointing.

or the home team and the additional half hour with home advantage and all that goes with it as we seen last night :mad:

I was going to mention that too. Even straight to penalties is tough on the away team, so there's no completely fair system but, maybe it is slightly better than extra time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

15850_226818901280_165571821280_4616549_6799311_n.jpg

To be honest i find the talk of a replay a bit stupid, i mean we know from the fact fifa seeded the draw, that a replay wouldnt happen in a million years, as sad as it is for us!

• Advertisement

Yes nut it works both ways as per my previous comment the home team get an extra hlf hour at home .The French got this with all the trappings last night . Stright to pen's might be a fair way to go.

Your point was my initial argument also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Have Fifa actually admitted there was a hand ball yet? In any release I have heard they have yet to actually acknowledge that there was a hand ball. Or would doing this be like shotting themselves in the foot.

The FAI should send Fifa a sky plus box and with the manual . They might be surprised how well the rewind ,play and pause functions work .MUPPETS

Jaysus joe duffy singing about it now on liveline :D

Gillette are standing by him, thinking that he still promotes "True sports values"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6923181.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dcully wrote: »
    Jaysus joe duffy singing about it now on liveline :D
    And that's when I switched off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

token56 wrote: »
    Have Fifa actually admitted there was a hand ball yet? In any release I have heard they have yet to actually acknowledge that there was a hand ball. Or would doing this be like shotting themselves in the foot.

I've yet to see anything on the FIFA website on the matter. I don't believe anything from anyone until I've seen it on the gutless wonders website or hear them on the TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Theres nothing on uefa.com either, Platini couldnt have that now could he!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

95% of an rte radio poll want a replay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

BigCon wrote: »

Excellent ,Excellent piece of writing !

Thanks for that , cheered me up ...hopefully the world will read this especially the cheat himself .

M

Advertisement