Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Rockee wrote: »
    95% of an rte radio poll want a replay

5% of the population is French now? Glad I left ffs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Rockee wrote: »
    95% of an rte radio poll want a replay

Shock of the millennium so far there:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Shock of the millennium so far there:rolleyes:

and rightly so. Id love a replay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

From the BBC 606 site: unclefredo on 606: "Why don't the French Football Federation come out and offer a replay to Ireland? This would really put Fifa in the middle of it. If the FFF are so embarrassed by events last night (which they are I think), this shouldn't be an issue."

this really sums it up, if the FFF are embarrassed get them to offer a replay. We'll go back to France or a neutral country. Would really put FIFA in a bind if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

i've just been told that there was sesrious mention of a replay on BBC 4 can anyone comfirm?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

RTE news have said that the FAI are to lodge an appeal...but the FAI site is down :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

flanzer wrote: »
    I've yet to see anything on the FIFA website on the matter. I don't believe anything from anyone until I've seen it on the gutless wonders website or hear them on the TV

Its not just the website, the press release about there not being a replay doesn't mention the reason why people would be asking for one. Listen to one of their press officers this morning and they were very careful to not use the words handball or even acknowledge it, just steer away from it. I'm hoping the FAI's official complaint will at least make them acknowledge there was a handball and it will be interesting to see their response.

Fifa all putting all the emphasis on the officials, who we have yet to hear any sort of a response from, at least to the best of my knowledge. This is what I would really like to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

FutureGuy wrote: »

Tnx FutureGuy for the link !!

Jensen you legend yes said it like it is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

FIFA have confirmed this morning that there will be no replay between the Republic of Ireland and France following calls for the game to be replayed.

According to The Guardian website, FIFA has confirmed that there is no chance of the game being replayed, refering to Law 5 in the official rules of the game which states that the referee has 'full authority to enforce the Laws of the Game in connection with the match to which he has been appointed,' and that 'the decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play are final.'

The law seems to rule out any possibility of the game being replayed.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1119/france_ireland3.html

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

I'm completely confident that if Robbie Keane or any other Irish player had have done this, there would have been outrage by the people of these boards towards their actions also. No team deserves to lose such an important match in this fashion and FIFA owe it to the integrity of the game to have a replay of the match. It's a complete disgrace to the game that this MASSIVELY OBVIOUS occurrence of cheating has passed all of the officials by and that it has continued untouched by the governing bodies of WORLD FOOTBALL.

The majority of people here believe in fairness and equality and JUSTICE in football.

The beautiful game? It will continue to be beautiful ONLY if JUSTICE is carried out in the highest form. I'm just dumb struck and sick at this. I've been living on this thread all day and all over the internet and I'm sure many others have too. It just shows how important this match is for us.

Sickening sickening stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

adamshred wrote: »
    i've just been told that there was sesrious mention of a replay on BBC 4 can anyone comfirm?

KEEP ME UPDATED

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Apollo Creed said something similar too before.... cmon the underdog.

If only life was more like a movie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

mixednuts wrote: »
    KEEP ME UPDATED
    Big time, where's the +1 billion button mods??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Gutted. I physically felt like vomiting after that tonight.

I haven't felt that bad since the play-off against Belgium for a place at the 1998 World Cup. Everyone remember when they get awarded a throw that was actually ours, then threw it in, flicked it on and Luc Nilis scored to send them through instead of us? They were awarded that throw even though Dennis Irwin, one of the most honest players to ever kick a ball, insisted that it was ours. Tonight, we had Shay Given, as honest as Irwin, pleading with the referee to give the handball. If any other team in international football has luck as bad as us in games of this magnitude, I can't think of them.

My heart is broken for those lads tonight. They left nothing on that pitch. They were immense to a man. Who knows what would have happened if that goal wasn't awarded? None of us ever will.

I presume we all also remember Arsenal offering to replay their FA Cup 5th round match against Sheffield United in 1999 when United had put the ball out of play and, instead of giving them the ball from the throw-in, Kanu broke away and squared it to Overmars who scored. They offered that replay because the win had come about through unsportsmanlike behaviour. Arsene Wenger, a Frenchman, brought this about. Will any Frenchmen be man enough to suggest a similar action in this instance? Will they f*ck!

This is a post I made last night. It's still how I feel. I just feel so down about the whole thing. Yeah, if it went to penalties, we might have lost but at least we would have had the chance.

I can see that Fifa have themselves covered and won't have to order a replay but there'd be nothing stopping the FFF coming out and offering one. But hell will freeze over before that happens, even though I think a lot of French football fans would feel better about doing that than going through in this manner.

I always admired Henry but there's no going back after this. Doing what he did was bad enough but to say that the ball hit his hand, not that he deliberately moved his hand twice in order to perfectly control it is nothing short of a disgrace. This attitude of "Yes I broke the rules but it's only breaking them if you get caught" is unbelievable. It really shows that there's no sense of sportsmanship or honour in some soccer players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

AARRRGH wrote: »

The law seems to rule out any possibility of the game being replayed.

Nope. If France were to agree to a replay than FIFA could sanction the match without contravining that rule in anyway.

Right now the ball is in the FFFs court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Francois Bayrou, a former candidate for the French presidency: "In an ideal world, the match should be played again. I saw the match and like a lot of people I wasn't very proud, and like everyone else I asked why don't we have a video match official. It works in rugby and it works very well."

Leading French politician, Philippe De Villiers: "Raymond Domenech should express his public regrets and show a gesture of dignity towards Ireland. The moral of this match is that you can cheat as long as you don't get caught. The France team is going to be labelled for years as a team of cheats."

Get in.... There goes Delaney's job on the FIFA governing council!

[FONT=&quot]Press Release[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Football Association of Ireland[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Thursday, 19 November 2009[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Football Association of Ireland today (November 19) confirmed that it will lodge a complaint with FIFA, following last night’s World Cup play-off match between France and the Republic of Ireland in Paris. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Conclusive video evidence of a deliberate hand ball by Thierry Henry, which led to France’s additional time goal, has been seen by millions of football fans worldwide. The blatantly incorrect decision by the referee to award the goal has damaged the integrity of the sport and we now call on FIFA, as the world governing body for our sport, to organise for this match to be replayed. The hand ball, was recognised the FIFA commissioner, the referee observer and the match officials, as well as by the player himself.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]There is precedent for the invalidation of such results. In 2005, the Bureau of the FIFA World Cup organising committee reached a decision to invalidate the result of a World Cup qualification match between Uzbekistan and Bahrain on the basis of a ‘technical error by the referee of the match’. The Football Association of Ireland is hoping that FIFA and its Disciplinary Committee will, on behalf of football fans world-wide, act in a similar fashion so that the standards of fair play and integrity can be protected.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]ENDS[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Issued on behalf of the Football Association of Ireland by;[/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

A replay?

IT-WILL-NEVER-HAPPEN!!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

FIFA have what they wanted end of story. They'd have gotten it one way or another. Rotten to the core and anyone that gets into a position of power that threatens them they start to shift the goalposts. Spanish and Italian teams dominating europe and having the majority of the best players for a while nothing happens then english clubs start getting more and more successful, start attracting more and more players and suddenly they have the "need to have homegrown players" in the squad. Now I'm all for homegrown players and see it as the way it needs to go in the future but the timing just seems a little too convenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

FFF are not going to sanction a replay. I wouldn't expect them to as I wouldn't give them the replay if it happen the other way around. Though maybe the linesman would have seen it if an Irish player had handballed it in the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

fu*k the rules !
    fu*k FIFA !
    fu*k Tierry Henry !

email FIFA
    email FAI

Keep the pressure up , the next 24hrs is crucial .
    Plattini and his cronies are just waiting for this storm to pass before they come out with the 1 liners , dont let that happen .

At the end of the day lads we were CHEATED out of a fair crack at getting to South Africa ..thats the truth !
    No rules , Football Fed or player can deny us that.

Keep up the pressure .

M

Here something to keep the fire in your belly Just look at the SMUG Git !

flanzer wrote: »
    Get in.... There goes Delaney's job on the FIFA governing council!

While I beleive its ultimately futile, if he did nothing he'd be lynched. He knows FIFA will just cite the rules etc etc but he needs to be shown to be doing something and FIFA will understand this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    A replay?

Would you take a replay if it was offered mufc4lfe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Don't think we'll see a replay ,
    But if the FAI's go ahead with their complaint it may lead to the first steps been taking in the overall improvement of the game , and maybe even lead to the governing bodies finally catching up with the modern game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

QUALITY!

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12606_5704874,00.html

Nice and refreshing to hear a pro say exactly what they think :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

"Ireland have formally cut diplomatic relations to both France and Sweden following last night's match in Paris in which Thierry Henry balatanty handled the ball in the lead up to Gallas' goal."

The action could lead to a constitutional crisis within the EU meaning Ireland will have to hold a third referendum on the Lisbon Treaty.

The row comes hot on the heels of the so-called boxgate spat in the week leading up to the first leg match in Dublin, when a mix up led to Irish officials believing French President Sarkozy required a box to stand on so that he could see the game owing to his diminuitive stature. In reality, the President's staff had enquired about a VIP box.

Diplomatic ties have also been severed with Sweden over referee Martin Hansson's failure to notice Henry's indiscretion as well as for the years of hurt caused by the propogation of second-rate Abba tribute bands.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,045 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Gillette will not be dropping Thierry Henry as they are launching a hand cream next month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The hand ball, was recognised the FIFA commissioner, the referee observer and the match officials, as well as by the player himself.

Incorrect use of the apostrophe. They'll never take us seriously :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    A replay?

It won't with "fans" like you. Somewhere along the line someone must take a stand. Why not Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And they also left out the word "by"

Sizzler wrote: »
    QUALITY!

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12606_5704874,00.html

Nice and refreshing to hear a pro say exactly what they think :)
    Respect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

That's a comma. :D

Renault have come out in support of Thierry Henry today and have no plans to drop him from any of their 2010 marketing plans.

Renault's digital marketing director Piérre Filouter was quoted as saying "Thierry has had a big hand in previous campaigns and he have no plans to replace him".

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Same sentence:
    The hand ball, was recognised [INSERT "by" HERE] the FIFA commissioner, the referee observer and the match officials, as well as by the player himself.

I guess there were a few veins popping in the head of whoever wrote the release.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Ireland seeking a rematch has made the "top stories" section of the BBC homepage, along with Russia banning the death penalty and the EU leaders about to pick a new president!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

jayteecork wrote: »
    Ireland seeking a rematch has made the "top stories" section of the BBC homepage, along with Russia banning the death penalty and the EU leaders about to pick a new president!

Fúck!

Everyone keep moaning, see if we can make more impressions by our moaning :D May not get us a rematch, but still, it's fun at least :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Sizzler wrote: »
    Renault have come out in support of Thierry Henry today and have no plans to drop him from any of their 2010 marketing plans.

Renault's digital marketing director Piérre Filouter was quoted as saying "Thierry has had a big hand in previous campaigns and he have no plans to replace him".

;)

VA-VA-DUPE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,271 ✭✭✭✭briany

Anyone else have a restless night last night? I felt like crying.

• Advertisement

Will be gone by the weekend once the premier league kicks off again :(

jayteecork wrote: »

Not surprised in the slightest. Shankly..... "Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that". Say's a lot imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

briany wrote: »

staying up till 6am just to watch the thing you can bet i did :pac:

orourkeda wrote: »
    VA-VA-DUPE
    Duh :rolleyes:

Look up the surname of the Renault chappy :)

Got to sleep at around 4:30 a.m with all the incidents in the game going over and over and over in my head. Then up at 6:30 a.m when my 1 year old woke! If only she knew what her Daddy had to go through last night and today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

GrumPy wrote: »
    Fúck!

Everyone keep moaning, see if we can make more impressions by our moaning :D May not get us a rematch, but still, it's fun at least :pac:

And if there is something that the Irish are good at it is moaning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I never slept all night, that may have something to do with having an anaesthetic on a nasal septoplasty but seeing Ireland go out really capped off a sh1tty night for me in Hospital, add to that the incessant rain and it was a night to forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Still can't get over how the officials missed it. Not only the handball but the apparent handball by Squilacci. And wasn't there an offside in there too?

As for a replay, can't see it happening. It would be unprecedented, it contravenes the rules.

On another note, Ireland played superbly last night. Tbh, it shouldn't've gone to extra-time. O'Shea, and particularly Keane and Duff had chances to win the game. It just didn't happen.

Before the match, and particularly after the Croke Park game, not many would've given the team a chance. No-one could've predicted that a Trapattoni side would play them off the park on their own turf. I can't even remember a decent French chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Lads, I didn't post at all last night simply because I'm shocked.
    I actually can't believe that such a blatant basketball controlled pass was waved away.

Even the players reactions would be enough for some refs.

But such a thing to lose by.

Not alone in Extra time, not alone from the only real chance they had, and from the biggest cheeky, absolute disgrace possible.

I'm still shocked. Chances of a replay? Not good.

Great great great effort from the lads though. Credit to the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Can I just take the time to say that every player, to a man, was outstanding last night.

You did your country proud with an amazing display.

I couldn't be more proud..

• Advertisement
Advertisement