Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

The main people at fault here were the officials, how a 70 year old from half way could clearly see that it was a handball, but professionally trained officials, the linesman of which had an unobstructed view, didn't is a bit ridiculous.

However, no taking away from a famous performance. Ireland were absolutely excellent, and we should all be proud that the lads were close to making history in Paris last night.

Let's not sully the great work the players did by becoming blinded by bitter and making slanderous statements. The demand of a replay, banning of Henry, etc is only making us seem petty. These things happen in football, and as heartbreaking as it is, it's what makes the game all that more exciting. This exact moment might mark a turning point in irish football, and we'll be all the better because of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Sadly we wont, we wont see a performance like that again for a very long time.

How i wish they could put in that type of performance in most games. If they did we'd have qualified directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

eZe^ wrote: »
    This exact moment might mark a turning point in irish football, and we'll be all the better because of it.

I just hope it is not only a turning point in Irish football, but football in general. What has happened has more than ever highlighted the need for some change to the way a match is refereed. Whether is through a tv ref or the extra assistants at either end of the pitch. Unfortunately I just dont see it happening mainly down to Platini and the likes, but I am really hoping something does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Does anyone know when the team are due in to Dublin Airport?

A fitting gesture would be a large crowd to greet our heroes (and of course gain extra publicity).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Does anyone know when the team are due in to Dublin Airport?

A fitting gesture would be a large crowd to greet our heroes (and of course gain extra publicity).

Agreed, i'd love to go in. They gave an immense perforance. And for Keane/Duff/Kilbane/Dunne its probably their last WC chance gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

2am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheJesusWarrant

i fear alot of people will stop feeling sorry for us after that delaney press conference. To ask for a replay is ridiculous, we'd win much more respect if we stated we would no longer take part in competitive matches until video evidence is introduced. Instead delaney says he wants a replay, with the same incompetent officials in charge. We missed a chance here, we could have tried to change the future of the game, not one game.

i fear alot of people will stop feeling sorry for us after that delaney press conference. To ask for a replay is ridiculous, we'd win much more respect if we stated we would no longer take part in competitive matches until video evidence is introduced. Instead delaney says he wants a replay, with the same incompetent officials in charge. We missed a chance here, we could have tried to change the future of the game, not one game.

I would have to agree, a government minister coming out saying the same thing does not help either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Asking for a replay does not preclude the possibilities of video evidence coming into the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8368950.stm

a bit long from Dixon - 8mins.

but i feel he says a lot of good things; and is very level headed about it.

it won't help anyone's anger i don't think, but he talks quite sensibly, if for a bit too long.

a bit of analysis from Dara O'Briain of all people too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8368871.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Apparent quote from Blatter
    "Theriy is an honest player. I know he would not have deliberately handled the ball. France are a world class side and will enrich the World Cup in South Africa in 2010. Any talk of a replay over the incident is ridiculous and I will do everything in my power to block such a move."

Still trying to look for a source.

Doesn't look like he sounds that disheartened by the whole situation

token56 wrote: »
    "Theriy is an honest player. I know he would not have deliberately handled the ball. France are a world class side and will enrich the World Cup in South Africa in 2010. Any talk of a replay over the incident is ridiculous and I will do everything in my power to block such a move."

if that's a quote, then the world of football is in a worse state than i ever envisaged.

to not only ignore it, but then focus on the world class nature of the French side, as well as Thierry's 'honesty' is just pathetic and to be honest, offensive to people's intelligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Of course he ain't gonna sanction a replay!!!??? IIRC, himself & Platini introduced the seedings purely because their home nations were in danger of being eliminated from the competition. And we can't have that, can we.....?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

News just broke in work that FIFA have accepted the FAI's appeal to review the match and see if a replay is warranted.. is there any confirmation/source on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I would be dismayed if that quote is true. Surely not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Tellox wrote: »
    News just broke in work that FIFA have accepted the FAI's appeal to review the match and see if a replay is warranted.. is there any confirmation/source on this?

You're the one saying it! What's your source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I couldn't believe that to be true. Where did you get it in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/french-public-turn-on-henry-434993.html

Some of the comments from Rama Yade and Senator Cohn-Bendit are disgracful.

On the other hand, I must applaud the majority of French supporters are very gracious. I would like to think that we would be as outraged had the shoe been on the other foot.

JPA wrote: »
    I couldn't believe that to be true. Where did you get it in the first place?

Wikipedia, which I know, I know is hardly credible especially at this time. However I'm sure they are checking themselves for any entries which are not true. I have been trying to find any other source of it, and I cant, so maybe its true. If I find a source I will post it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Oh lulz - http://twitter.com/Thierry_Henry

On his twitter is this link - http://www.fcwolf.com/groups/viewgroup/17-We+still+love+you+Thierry+Henry

Click on it, and theres about 10 posts already calling him a cheat. Nice wan Terry!

enda1 wrote: »
    You're the one saying it! What's your source?

Word of mouth in the office - nothing official. Hoping there might be some official confirmation/denial floating about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

lol lads, no chance FIFA replay this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Chris Skudder from Sky News and his take. Mirrors this thread......minus the language. :pac:

http://blogs.news.sky.com/sportslines/Post:44048370-80ba-41e1-9a22-7491ac8bce01
    Blatter! Platini! Wise Up! Use Video Now!

So just what is the point of having a 'fourth official' in football? Seems to me the only thing he does is hold up the board for the extra time added on at the end of the game. Pathetic. Meanwhile Ireland are being robbed of a chance of reaching the World Cup Finals by a seriously flawed system.

Thierry Henry's handball goal in Paris was the last straw for me and ought to be football's watershed moment in the introduction of video referrals for referees.
    It is NOT going to slow the game down and should have happened years ago. 'Mr Redundant' (fourth official) only has to look at his tv monitor like all the millions of the rest of us at home, have a quick word in the ear of the ref (like in rugby) and justice is served. It will take seconds, far less than the time it took for the aggrieved Irish players to stop screaming at the officials and calm down.
    The referee in Paris had an otherwise great game, but when it came to the key moment he simply COULDN'T SEE WHAT HAPPENED. Nor could his linesman. I bet he feels sick watching the replays. Why, oh why does football want to continue living in the dark ages when simple technology is available to ensure the correct decision is made. Everyone in the world could see what happened EXCEPT for the man who matters most. Complete joke.

Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini can say all they want about not wanting to interfere with the 'human' element of the game, but week after week now we're having to endure this nonsense. Times have moved on. For pity's sake it's time to USE the technology that other sports have embraced.

Thierry Henry is a bright guy. He knows what happened and equally knows what's going to be levelled at him in the years to come. I wouldn't call him a cheat because his handball was instinctive as opposed to premeditated. But that doesn't mean that it's not wrong. Why do you think he was embracing the Irish players in 'sympathy' at the end. I'll tell you why. Because he knew the cameras were on him and he was desperately trying to make himself look the good guy. In other words using the cameras for his own ends. Too bad the game of football can't do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Tellox wrote: »
    Word of mouth in the office - nothing official. Hoping there might be some official confirmation/denial floating about.

not yet

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/fifa-yet-to-receive-fai-complaint-434995.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

lol lads, no chance FIFA replay this.

Probably not, but there might be enough pressure on them to change things. From the reactions worldwide today, it's clear that there's a huge demand for changes to be made, in particular for video refereeing to be introduced. I don't see how they can continue to ignore it for much longer.

I don't ever want to see what happened last night happen to any other team*, but it's clear that unless something changes, there's nothing stopping cheating from ruining games every week.

(*apart from France obviously ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Banter Joe wrote: »
    Probably not, but there might be enough pressure on them to change things. From the reactions worldwide today, it's clear that there's a huge demand for changes to be made, in particular for video refereeing to be introduced. I don't see how they can continue to ignore it for much longer.

I don't ever want to see what happened last night happen to any other team*, but it's clear that unless something changes, there's nothing stopping cheating from ruining games every week.

(apart from France obviously ;))

Next day there is always massive hyper boil, just like when some dives(eduardo) however give a few days and people won't give a toss, certainly not outside Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Anyone that thinks for 1 minute that this game might be replayed is in cukoo land. Seriously. Once the match is over- its over. there is no going back. we are out-face it,its heartbreaking. Biggest injustice in irish sport ever, but unfortunately thats soccer.
    How the linesman did not see the Handball-ill never know.
    Video replays NEED to be introduced so much.
    Look at Rugby- video referees and only captains allowed speak to the official.

Im gutted to say the least, but if ya look at it again- could France have had a penalty when Anelka went down in the box? maybe/maybe not.

Proud of the Team- what a performance by every player. 10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

http://worldsport.blogs.cnn.com/2009/11/19/henry-handball-leaves-les-bleus-red-faced/

CNN have featured the scandal on their home page.......will the weight of world opinion sway the FIFA mandarins :cool:??????

Next day there is always massive hyper boil, just like when some dives(eduardo) however give a few days and people won't give a toss, certainly not outside Ireland.

A complaint from the FAI makes it more official though. If they decide to consider the appeal, that could keep it in the press for a bit longer. Either way, they at least have to acknowledge it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

does anyone have a link that the FAI are planning to appeal?

the only link so far shows they haven't, and the manager has said he knows it can't be replayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Jimmyboss wrote: »
    http://worldsport.blogs.cnn.com/2009/11/19/henry-handball-leaves-les-bleus-red-faced/

CNN have featured the scandal on their home page.......will the weight of world opinion sway the FIFA mandarins :cool:??????
    French Newspaper Le Monde are running a poll asking if the French deserve to be in the world cup final. http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/sondage/2009/11/19/les-bleus-meritent-ils-leur-place-a-la-coupe-du-monde_1269027_3242.html

Now my French is sketchy but I know a bit and the two options roughly read as follows:
    Yes- The French fought hard and gained their ticket in adversity.
    No: The Irishmen deserve it more, the referee saved the tricolour ones.

So far the "No" option is winning out by 88.1 to 11.9%.

Mr Alan wrote: »

the only link so far shows they haven't, and the manager has said he knows it can't be replayed.

This one from Goal.com

John Delaney said it on RTE radio a while ago as well. Don't think the appeal has been lodged yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

John Delaney said they have submitted written requests to FIFA and the French FA in his press conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Pighead wrote: »
    French Newspaper Le Monde are running a poll asking if the French deserve to be in the world cup final. http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/sondage/2009/11/19/les-bleus-meritent-ils-leur-place-a-la-coupe-du-monde_1269027_3242.html

Now my French is sketchy but I know a bit and the two options roughly read as follows:
    Yes- The French fought hard and gained their ticket in adversity.
    No: The Irishmen deserve it more, the referee saved the tricolour ones.

So far the "No" option is winning out by 88.1 to 11.9%.

88108 votes too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

FIFA confirm they have received FAI request to a replay

source ssn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yeah heard Henry going on about Henchoz's famous handball in FA Cup final in 2001 as a way of how decisions go one way and then the other.. See how pool fans (of which im one) explained that one.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=230549.0

Headshot wrote: »
    FIFA confirm they have received FAI request to a replay

source ssn

Any weblink available mon frere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Why didn't the players walk off after the ref refused to hear their protests. It happened before in a World Cup match in the 70s/80s, where the whole team left the field in protest, but I can't remember exactly who it was.

Raymond Domenech. I don't think words can describe the guy. Actually, I'll use one word. Mong.
    French coach Raymond Domenech was pleased to go through, although he admits he did not see the handball.

"I did not see a hand. It's you people who are speaking about this," he said.

"Sometimes we feel unlucky like we were against Serbia, sometimes we feel lucky.

"I just want to congratulate the Irish team. I am disappointed for the public and the fans. In a way, I regret that they did not qualify.

"I am very happy for the players and the staff and the people here. The only word we need to say tonight is that we are very happy at the qualification."

found this on ssn
    French ace Lassana Diarra has told skysports.com of his delight at qualifying for the World Cup finals.

The Real Madrid midfielder was part of the French team which controversially beat Republic of Ireland on Wednesday.

France gained a 1-1 draw which gave them a 2-1 aggregate win, and Diarra cannot wait to play in South Africa next summer.

"My dream is there for me to play in the World Cup in Africa, my parents' continent," Diarra told skysports.com.

"It will be the best World Cup for me, I have watched World Cups on TV, now it is my time to show people that I can also play in the World Cup.

"My dream is to score a goal in the World Cup and win it with France.

"It will be difficult because teams in the World Cup are great teams but come June, we should be better and in good shape. We can definitely challenge and with a bit of luck you never know.

"Ireland was unlucky in the two games, but we deserve it because of our win in Dublin."

what a ******************************

the man doesnt have a clue and Andrews ****ted all over him last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Why didn't the players walk off after the ref refused to hear their protests. It happened before in a World Cup match in the 70s/80s, where the whole team left the field in protest, but I can't remember exactly who it was.

you cant just walk of the pitch when a decision goes against you.

if we'd have done that i think FIFA would have banned us from international comps for a while, and i would have agreed with them tbh.

should the georgians have walked off against us when we got a peno for nothing?

or the itialians when a player got a red card for nothing?

Headshot wrote: »
    found this on ssn

what a ******************************

the man doesnt have a clue and Andrews ****ted all over him last night

that last line is priceless.

and what, we didn't because of our win in Paris over 90 mins?

all these people should really think before they speak.

• Advertisement

you cant just walk of the pitch when a decision goes against you.

Al, people are not annoyed because the decision went against us.

people are annoyed because it was absolute blatant cheating of the highest order.

if it was simply a case of a decision going against us, we'd all walk away disappointed, and there'd be no calls for a replay or anything of the sort.

it's the fact the man got away with blatantly screwing us over.

well it is for me anyway.

France v Kuwait 1982 world cup. Spectator blew whistle. all hell broke loose, Kuwaiti prince got involved.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5AuQHurQ8w

ian wright all but condemning Thierry on Channel 5 now.

he's condemning the seedings.

saying the big countries get favoured.

he's also saying the Irish should do all they can to get the game replayed.

:D

though he says he can't guarantee he wouldn't have done it himself. he'd like to think he wouldn't, but he can't guarantee it in that same position.

he's not the greatest supporter we could have, obviously, but anyway, fair play wrighty ;)

SlickRic wrote: »
    ian wright all but condemning Thierry on Channel 5 now.

he's condemning the seedings.

saying the big countries get favoured.

he's also saying the Irish should do all they can to get the game replayed.

:D

though he says he can't guarantee he wouldn't have done it himself. he'd like to think he wouldn't, but he can't guarantee it in that same position.

he's not the greatest supporter we could have, obviously, but anyway, fair play wrighty ;)
    And some player from Denmark was on saying French got away with murder. All we can do is sit and wait now.
    Btw did find it funny when Henry took the p**s out of reporter for suggesting he should tell the ref he had handled the ball prior to crossing to Gallas.

im not a fan of wrighty (especially his tv career) but fair dues wright

• Advertisement
Advertisement