Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Headshot wrote: »
    so what do you think FIFA is ?

its not a national government

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

greendom wrote: »
    The South African economy will undoubtedly suffer without the free-drinking Irish supporters present

true :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Helix wrote: »
    its not a national government

come on Helix its politics at its best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Of course Brian Cowen is right to protest and demand a reply, for one it'll keep the Six one news headlines off the recession for another few days, and what's there to lose? Besides, we could all do with a bit of good ol' fighting Irish rebellionship! :D

I can see how some people think it's a bad idea and that France could thump us if we replay, but I'd take the chance if it meant a chance of getting into the World Cup at the expense of Henry :D

come on Helix its politics at its best

but its not a national government, so what in the name of christ does the irish government think theyre doing trying to force something out of it

but its not a national government, so what in the name of christ does the irish government think theyre doing trying to force something out of it

didnt fifa stop another country's government getting involved in their country's soccer

I cant remember the country thou

but that's politics is it not ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

indeed, the one thing has nothing to do with the other. I get the impression its just our government trying to get a bit of solidarity and "Us V Them" going on so we give them a bit of leeway on the sh1t they're about to pull. Nothing but PR imo.

didnt fifa stop another country's government getting involved in their country's soccer

I cant remember the country thou

but that's politics is it not ?

governments have no place getting involved with soccer

its not politics, its common sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

governments have no place getting involved with soccer

its not politics, its common sense

They'll fcuk it right up.. once people see Cowen et al running to Paris to broker a deal, they'll lose interest in backing the cause

maybe that's what Brian wants though.. we need to stay focused on the issues at hand

(what pun?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

People should remember that this isn't the first time that the Irish team has been fcuked over in an important match. In the 1997 World Cup play-off, Belgium scored the winner from an offside position.

At the 94 World Cup, in the game against Mexico, a Fifa official in a yellow hat wouldn't allow Aldridge to enter the pitch for an inordinate amount of time.

There have been other miscarriages of justice against the Irish team, but these are two off the top of my head. Fifa must really hate us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

sure how is a load of irish people spending thousands in south africa any good to the irish economy?

or rte paying millions to show the matches?

People would be a lot more likely to go to the pub to watch the world cup if Ireland were in it. They'd buy drinks and would boost that sector of the economy.

Merchandise would also receive a boost, so yes, the irish economy would benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

People should remember that this isn't the first time that the Irish team has been fcuked over in an important match. In the 1997 World Cup play-off, Belgium scored the winner from an offside position.

I don't think he was offside. It was that the Belgians were awarded a throw in that should have been ours. Then the throw was flicked on and Luc Nilis scored. Pretty sure he wasn't off.

lizt wrote: »
    People would be a lot more likely to go to the pub to watch the world cup if Ireland were in it. They'd buy drinks and would boost that sector of the economy.

Merchandise would also receive a boost, so yes, the irish economy would benefit.

I don't want to turn this into an economic debate, but the economic benefit would not be that significant. Yes it would lift the mood of the nation but that is about all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

At the 94 World Cup, in the game against Mexico, a Fifa official in a yellow hat wouldn't allow Aldridge to enter the pitch for an inordinate amount of time.

There have been other miscarriages of justice against the Irish team, but these are two off the top of my head. Fifa must really hate us.
    Doubt they hate us but we are a small nation and that means we can be fooked over without much bother. Sad state of affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I don't want to turn this into an economic debate, but the economic benefit would not be that significant. Yes it would lift the mood of the nation but that is about all.
    A good few thousand with that good mood would buy new T.V.s to watch it on. A good few will order take away food e.t.c., A good few will goto the Pub to watch the matches. Not to mention the huge boost to the mood of the people. People in a bad mood spend little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

I fell asleep at around 80 minutes, how did this finish?

A good few thousand with that good mood would buy new T.V.s to watch it on. A good few will order take away food e.t.c., A good few will goto the Pub to watch the matches. Not to mention the huge boost to the mood of the people. People in a bad mood spend little.

true might be a spending knock on as a result of a mood change and suppose the state we are in every bit counts, also have to factor in people missing work, but a good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Apparently, there is going to be a boycott of French Restaurants and famous French cheeses such Camembert and Roquefort by Irish punters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Apparently, there is going to be a boycott of French Restaurants and famous French cheeses such Camembert and Roquefort by Irish punters.

wow.

the country's officially gone cuckoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

Things have also gone our way too. 2002 vs Spain, when we had another Swedish ref :D
    We got a number of questionable decisions our way. The most memorable being the penalty Niall Quinn got in the 90th minute

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

niallk wrote: »
    NoFunny-Fail1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

thrown in french fries while your at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm over in England at the moment, so haven't seen any papers from over there, and haven't heard any radio from over there either.

the impression BBC give me is that it's approaching chaos over there.

is that even remotely true?

it sounds like we care more about this than the lack of jobs...

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

niallk wrote: »
    ah tragic you missed it. In the 90th minute Robbie Keane controlled the ball in the French box with his left hand , swiveled and smashed the ball into the French net. Its was defo handball but the general consensus in Ireland is that it is all part of the game and I am sure if it had happened to us we would feel the same way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Thats just pathetic :rolleyes:

Boycott FIFA Sponsors but boycotting French Foods and Restaurants is just childish!

gandalf wrote: »

Boycott FIFA Sponsors but boycotting French Foods and Restaurants is just childish!
    To be honest think its just talk. Okay we are sad but remember when Keane left Saipan and some of us were ready to boycott the World Cup. But we put it behind us. In sport we live to fight another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

thrown in french fries while your at it.

Or just change the name to freedom fries!!

Seriously though, if anyone of my mates boycott french food i will lose all respect for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

There is gonna be a lot of beardy men in this country for the next while:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'm over in England at the moment, so haven't seen any papers from over there, and haven't heard any radio from over there either.

the impression BBC give me is that it's approaching chaos over there.

is that even remotely true?

it sounds like we care more about this than the lack of jobs...

Well, it's coming close to it. Prime Time was just on, and it was the main topic. The flooding has pipped it off the main headlines on the news.

Apparently it's going to be covered on Newsnight (on BBC) tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

yeah and i'm never getting a jumbo breakfast roll on a baguette ever again.

*downright lie

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »

For list of products Henry endorses see below
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6923181.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Interesting to see how we viewed a previous controversial hand-ball incident - a mixture of people's funniest memories, complaining about England complaining about it and trying to justify it among a few. Did't come across and calls for a replay though :confused: or even cries of cheat.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55166&highlight=Maradonna+hand+of+God

"My dad and my mam's uncle were in my sitting room watching the England -v- Argentina game, I was on the floor playing with some dinkies ( small toy cars ), when suddenly my dad starts shouting. I looked up, and saw the look on his face, he was so happy, Diego Maradonna had just scored the "Hand of God" goal"

"Suppose World Cup 86 would be the first tournament I really took an interest in, would have been 10..Maradonna tearing ****e out of England, england moaning about it, poor old england, ahhh those were the daze smile.gif"

"Similarly the continuing hurt indignation and loathing caused by Maradonna's Hand of God incident. Fact: many people - including the ITV commentary at the time - hadn't realised that Maradonna had handled the ball because his hand was right beside his head when he did it. He gained no extra advantage in height by using his hand and still this squat little man managed to outjump the much taller Peter Shilton who, the English reckoned, was the best goalkeeper in the world at that time."

Interesting to see how we viewed a previous controversial hand-ball incident - a mixture of people's funniest memories, complaining about England complaining about it and trying to justify it among a few. Did't come across and calls for a replay though :confused: or even cries of cheat.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55166&highlight=Maradonna+hand+of+God

"My dad and my mam's uncle were in my sitting room watching the England -v- Argentina game, I was on the floor playing with some dinkies ( small toy cars ), when suddenly my dad starts shouting. I looked up, and saw the look on his face, he was so happy, Diego Maradonna had just scored the "Hand of God" goal"

"Suppose World Cup 86 would be the first tournament I really took an interest in, would have been 10..Maradonna tearing ****e out of England, england moaning about it, poor old england, ahhh those were the daze smile.gif"

"Similarly the continuing hurt indignation and loathing caused by Maradonna's Hand of God incident. Fact: many people - including the ITV commentary at the time - hadn't realised that Maradonna had handled the ball because his hand was right beside his head when he did it. He gained no extra advantage in height by using his hand and still this squat little man managed to outjump the much taller Peter Shilton who, the English reckoned, was the best goalkeeper in the world at that time."
    That said Maradonna fortune's dipped a bit after that goal. What comes round goes around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Also slightly different times, considering what was going on north of the border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

on BBC2 NOW NEWSNIGHT

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Higlighting peoples stories of xenophobia is all that is really.

the ref is peter pan
    Lol

Vincent Browne on now discussing it.

fair play ginola, fair play

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    Higlighting peoples stories of xenophobia is all that is really.

or that they're not all that bothered about cheating, or at least they weren't back then.

Yes , very nice to hear him speak like that !

Id like to think that is the way i would feel if it happened the other way round ,
    Id gladly say give them a replay in the act of fairness , no good going to the world cup as cheats ,when you dont really deserve it and have the public against your country !

Can you imagine how Henry is feeling today/tonight ,his reputation in tatters , i dont think he will be able to handle that sort of shame for too long , even rememebering back to last nite when he was head to head with Gallas celebrating you could almost see the 2 of them mumble to each other ...
    Henry......> i handled it / Gallas........> i know .

Go look at it !!

Within a millisecond after the ball left Gallas head he instantly turned around to see did the linesman flag !! Gallas had the best view of the handball than most and he KNEW when he headed it home that Henry had handled it , not once , BUT TWICE .

I read a great piece today about Henry having 5 seconds to decide to go to the ref and say i handled it or say nothing ,

Just found it ..............> i think it says it all really ...

Thierry Henry had about five seconds in which to decide to join the immortals. While William Gallas wheeled away from the point-blank header which gave France the lead over the Republic of Ireland during extra time in their World Cup play-off last night, Henry's reaction could have gone one of two ways.
    In the act of controlling the ball before providing Gallas with a perfect cross, France's captain had handled it. Not once, but twice. The first time might have been almost inadvertent, a pardonable reflex action as it was about to go out of play. The second, in which he scooped the ball with his left hand, redirecting it to drop nicely on to his right foot, was clearly intentional.
    Even there, it could be argued that an element of reflex was involved. But in the few seconds that followed, Henry had two options. He could pretend that he had not broken the most basic law of outfield play. Or he could take the opportunity to neutralise the effect of his reflexes. To erase an error. To right a wrong. To be a man.
    The world, or quite a lot of it, was watching. His president was in the seat of honour in the Stade de France. Almost everyone important in French football had assembled to cheer the team on in this vital match. It was the perfect stage for an act of unselfishness, of honesty, of genuine sportsmanship.
    Such incidents are not confined to the pages of history. In 1997 Robbie Fowler unsuccessfully pleaded with the referee to rescind the award of a penalty to Liverpool at Highbury after the whistle had been blown for a perceived foul on him by David Seaman. In 2000, while playing for West Ham, Paolo Di Canio stopped play by catching the ball when he saw that the opposition's goalkeeper, Paul Gerrard of Everton, was lying helpless in the penalty area after twisting his knee while clearing the ball. Last March, during a Romanian first division match between Rapid Bucharest and Otelul Galati, Costin Lazar of Rapid refused to take a penalty because he did not believe he had been fouled, and eventually the official agreed with him.
    I don't know anything about Costin Lazar, but I do know that Fowler was a streetwise scally and that Di Canio, who once pushed the referee Paul Alcock to the ground after being shown a red card, was in the habit of exchanging Fascist salutes with his hometown supporters at Lazio. Those incidents shifted our perception of them. Some seed of goodness had to lurk within men capable of such essentially unselfish acts. And they are there forever, in black and white, on the public record.
    We all know which way Henry decided to go. With a broad, exultant beam on his face, he raced away from the scene of the crime to join Gallas and their team-mates in celebration of a goal that all knew was likely to be decisive in the battle for a place in next summer's World Cup finals.
    For this was no ordinary piece of cheating. National pride and tens of millions of euros were at stake. So much greater, then, would have been the admiration of a decision to own up. Instead Henry chose to go down a path which exposed not just his own human frailty but the paranoid fear of failure running through a French squad (and their manager) haunted by comparisons with the glories of the recent past.
    Henry was a hopeless captain at Arsenal and he is a hopeless captain of France. On Wednesday he did not have the gumption to say, "OK, that wasn't a goal" – an admission on which the referee would have been obliged to act – "but we'll use the remaining quarter of an hour's play to demonstrate that we are better than the Irish and more deserving of a place in the final 32 in South Africa next year."
    And, being Henry, he reacted to the final whistle not by celebrating with his team- mates but by making a show of going over and sitting down on the turf to commiserate with the dejected Richard Dunne, the most heroic of Irish players. He told Dunne that the Irish had deserved to win, and admitted that he had handled the ball. "But," he added, "I am not the referee."
    No, mon brave, but you are the captain of France, the country that gave us the World Cup, and here you had the chance to show us what sport can mean – or, at least, what we tell our children it means.
    To rank the incident in Paris alongside Diego Maradona's "Hand of God" in 1986 is misleading. That was a street kid's instinct, acclaimed by his compatriots as revenge for Antonio Rattín and the Malvinas. Henry may come from Les Ulis, a quartier difficile outside Paris, but he is a sophisticated man, and a much decorated one. A chevalier of the Legion d'Honneur should have done better – by his opponents, by himself, and by the game.

Ginola speaking out against the French is a bit like Whelan speaking out about Liverpool tbh. You'd have to question the motives. I wouldn't take too much from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Thierry is feeling a little dirty. He posted on Twitter that he "was sorry if i hurt anyone".

If we get a replay and get tonked 3-0, then they deserve to progress. But we all know that wont happen ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Reuters:

CIA spy satellites have revealed a build of Irish troops in Rosslare, Co. Wexford. Irish Army sources say that exercises being carried out by the 3rd Infantry Battalion and 1st Field Artillery Regiment so close to the southern Irish ferry port is purely coincidental and has nothing to do with its proximity to the French mainland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Jesus i read someone said on Today fm today there going to boycot "French kissing":rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yes, fair play Ginola. Very well said by him. And fair play to all the French punters and journalists calling for a replay. Hopefully they can all kick up enough of a fuss and then maybe Henry and the French FA will come out and call for a replay.

I like Dara O'Brian's idea of just having a penalty shoot out to decide who goes through, since the game was going that way anyway. Seriously, to me, that sounds like a great solution for getting around the schedule constraints.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

Burner- wrote: »
    Things have also gone our way too. 2002 vs Spain, when we had another Swedish ref :D
    We got a number of questionable decisions our way. The most memorable being the penalty Niall Quinn got in the 90th minute

In the name of Jahoba how is this a questionable decision. Please watch from 2min 35sec!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Can someone answer me this please? was the replay shown on the screens in the stadium last night?

Tony Cascarino on Henry from the times ..........

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6922619.ece

Can someone answer me this please? was the replay shown on the screens in the stadium last night?

I think someone who was at the game said NO they werent , its somewhere waayyyy back in the thread , sorry i cant quote it for you

• Advertisement
Advertisement