Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I'm expecting a dull nil nil.

In fact I put the bet on last week before the first leg which I backed one nil ot the french.

I also have an accumulator on the two results.

Sad to say it but we don't have the penetration to upset France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Headshot wrote: »
    sb_nosurrender.jpg

Keano has a nicer pair than Claudine there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

This is out chance lads.
    Pressure everything that the French touch, harrass them.

And get a goal or two.

Easier said than done but with no Abidal then I'd hopefully expect a little nervousness in the back 4 of France.

Andrews to get frirst card is very tempting indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

All day long, I'm hearing statistics.. Ireland hasn't beaten a higher ranked away side in this long, but France have never qualified for more than 3 WC's in a row.. but no european side has ever qualified after losing their home leg in the qualifiers.. etc etc

All this **** goes out the window over the 90(+) minutes tonight. Records are being broken either way. Best of luck to the lads tonight, let's hope they do the country proud :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Aine Lalor summed this match up best on Morning Ireland earlier today, and she's not even a soccer pundit. She said it's like waiting to sit a Leaving Cert exam that you know your going to fail. Glass is half empty here anyway, the cons list simply outweighs the pros list by about 5 to 1.. 2-1 France on the night. Dunne will get a goal I feel. We won't disgrace ourselves but we won't qualify. FIFA hang your head in shame for the mockery you made of these play-offs. Ireland suffers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Whelan and Andrews have to start trying more long shots. Not once-in-a-lifetime shots from 50 yards, but say 25-30 yards out. We know they have it in their lockers. I have a strange feeling we'll see more of the ball as Trap will (surely ffs) encourage Whelan and Andrews to push up and hopefully won't drop as deep without the ball.

If we keep France scoreless at half time and definitely after an hour, they WILL start to get nervous and drop deeper. That's a shred of hope to cling on to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I'd argue Barry Glendenning from the guardian summed it up best before the first leg saying France will definitely go through but it will be a glorious failure for Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

good read during work hope we can do it come on ireland we can do it !!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Doocey wrote: »
    Pressure everything that the French touch, harrass them.

this is what needs to happen.

i just hope we don't take Trap's usual 'sit back' approach.

unfortunately i've a feeling we will given his call for 'patience' earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dunne will get a goal I feel.

Thats some feeling....I'd be done to the bookies if i was you, youll get him bout 30-1

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

5-0 France. If we're all really negative we can't be disappointed by the result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

TheDoc wrote: »
    Thats some feeling....I'd be done to the bookies if i was you, youll get him bout 30-1

:)

Already done.... Big bucks. Five pounds anytime @ elevenzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Hopefully Trap said his prayers today. Hes known as a lucky manager, so you never know! A fu*kin disgrace that they seeded the playoffs though:rolleyes:I would of fancied us at home especially, against anybody except France. People saying a goal from Ireland early. That would really scare France and I just think think theyd jog up the other end and score. Nil nil till about the 60th minute, France take the foot of the gas and might think about sitting back for the last 35 mins. We then throw the kitchen sink at them. We done it in Bari, were good at scoring late goals, bad at them aswell. If France qualify for South Africa, theyl probably have to keep the mad man Domenech for another world cup. Hes hated by the French people, is it set up for a nightmare end for Domenech? I fu*kin hope so! CMON!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Don't care what the score is as long as Ireland fight for it, have the feeling it is going to be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Ireland won't win. End of. Take off the green tints lads.

SantryRed wrote: »

They probably won't, but I hope they don't have that attitude. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm so looking forward to this now! I just hope the lads give it their all and try their best and then we'll see what happens.

If we perform like we did when we were chasing a goal in Bari (admittedly it was against ten men) we may have a chance. This French crowd are very likely to get on their player's backs if they start off poorly so I'm hoping for a goal in the first half from the boys in green.

deep down, 95% of us kind of know this.

but what's the point in being so defeatist?

the only reason i can think of is so you can say 'i told you so' at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

1 nil Mcateer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

gwb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Boggles wrote: »
    gwb.jpg

:pac:
    Class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Thank god every football supporter does'nt look at things this way. Come on Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Anyone hear Traps rant when asked about Diarra's comments to Andrews??!! He's well up for this, heres the transcript:

Trap: When you do that about footballers, like he said to us, and when you do things like that about Keith Andrews......I I I've kept really quiet but I'll tell you something, he went down in my estimation when he said that. We've not resorted to that, but I tell ya, you can tell him he'll be watching this, we're still fighting for this qualification place, and he's got to go to Stade de France and get something, an an an an I tell ya, honestly, I would love it if we beat them, LOVE IT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Anyone hear Traps rant when asked about Diarra's comments to Andrews??!! He's well up for this, heres the transcript:

Trap: When you do that about footballers, like he said to us, and when you do things like that about Keith Andrews......I I I've kept really quiet but I'll tell you something, he went down in my estimation when he said that. We've not resorted to that, but I tell ya, you can tell him he'll be watching this, we're still fighting for this qualification place, and he's got to go to Stade de France and get something, an an an an I tell ya, honestly, I would love it if we beat them, LOVE IT!

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Greece just got the away goal against Ukraine. Well in the driving seat now.

Why couldnt we have gotten Greece ?

Oh yeah, Fifa Mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Green shirt on and on the way to the pub. Really have optimism for this one.

Very surprised I do after Saturday.

COME ON IRELAND

:D Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

How long before Dunphy mentions Andy Reid?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Teams are in. Same starting XI for Ireland as Saturday. Escude replaces Abidal for France, otherwise same team also.

COME ON IRELAND!!!!

anyone sh*tting themselves?

yeah yeah, it's all over already or whatever, but f*ck sake i want to believe.

c'mon ireland!!!!

Jesus that RTE intro was woeful.

Lets hope the game is more entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Well lads this is it, our destiny.

Only one thing to say is.....

ALLEZ LES VERTS

btw anyone know if the elephant documentary is repeated???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

redout wrote: »
    Jesus that RTE intro was woeful.

Lets hope the game is more entertaining.
    Yeah, what the fúck was that about!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Fingers and other extremeties crossed

Hopefully the lads can pull it off

The intro wasn't great but Souness still has the beard so it's all good. :cool:

So excited about this right now. Come on boys make yourselves heroes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Quint wrote: »

That was about thirty seconds i think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Quint wrote: »

His first sentence! Change the record Eamo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

COME ON IRELAND!!

Food and drink outside the stadium=Irish outside the stadium.:p
    I'll try not to get into an arguement about Kevin Kilbane tonight.:o
    An Ireland match just isn't right without Dunphy getting in a sly comment about Andy Reid.

• Advertisement

Souness referring to Abidal as Adebayor!

Must be the beard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

St Ledger and Dunne to score, you heard it here first people!!

wtf....

Stephen Ireland story on RTE1

Who honestly gives a fu*k ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Bill: Will the Emperor change his spots? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Most exciting night in Irish football since 2002. Im really psyched for this one. Even if we lose, who the hell would have bhelieved we would be this close to the world cup after the last qualification campaign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The head says no, but the heart is hoping yes.
    As long as we don't have Uri Geller hovering above the stadium in a helicopter projecting positivity rays on our players we just might do it.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

KungPao wrote: »
    That was great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Oddly enough, I'm not that nervous. Maybe deep down I feel we haven't a prayer.

Or maybe cause we will pull it off.

Come On!!!

KungPao wrote: »

Was wondering if I heard that right. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd just like you to know I've given your boys a boost by backing France - if that doesn't do it then nothing will :p

Meanwhile check out what should be a riot from Barry Glendenning on the Grauniad

• Advertisement
Advertisement