Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Fair play Shay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

good man Shay, keep up the pressure.

how many times can you get the words 'cheat' and 'disgusting' into an interview?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Its the first time I have ever said this about Delaney , but I respect him for what he has done ,

Stand up and be counted is what he has done, so proud of the team and supporters last nite , Only starting to calm down now , hence my first post on the matter !

and belittled the League of Ireland while he was at it. Floppy haired clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Keano at his vindictive best......I'm sure he's loving it....... http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12606_5706609,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

This just had to happen. Surprised it took so long tbh. Cheese eating surrender monkeys :cool:

EDIT: Just in case anyone thinks this is an anti French rant it's not, most of the French feedback I heard has been one of regret and sympathy for us. This post is more a case of the whole thing being turned into a game. How many times have we laughed at other examples of similar "games" in the past?

LostinBlanch in no way condones . . . blah blah blah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Just listening to Keano on Newstalk - he has nothing good to say about the FAI and mentioned how John Delaney didn't know where Keane was when he left the squad in 2002 and how that was the World Cup, so why should he be putting pressure on FIFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Jimmyboss wrote: »
    Keano at his vindictive best......I'm sure he's loving it....... http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12606_5706609,00.html

fair play, no grudges there lol :rolleyes:. he is right in saying that the ball should have been cleared and that if we took our chances we'd be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jimmyboss wrote: »

Very disappointing to hear that.

It started off as if he was staying impartial and using the Georgia game as a good comparison but towards the end it got so petty it is unreal.

Pretty sure not clearing your lines, while bad, is not against the rules. Listening to Keane, it sounds like he never wants anything good for his country now that he feels he was wronged.

Very poor stuff, he has gone right down in my estimation now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

breaking news

McDonalds to rename French Fries as Freedom Fries in Ireland and
    Henry to sign as a hand model for Nivea hand cream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

noodler wrote: »

It started off as if he was staying impartial and using the Georgia game as a good comparison but towards the end it got so petty it is unreal.

Pretty sure not clearing your lines, while bad, is not against the rules. Listening to Keane, it sounds like he never wants anything good for his country now that he feels he was wronged.

FAI grudge aside, Hes talking bloody sense.

Our hurt is exacerbated by our great performance and the fact we deserve to be their based on being the better team.

Had we played awful over two legs would we feel the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

In fairness to Keane, he's only really being bitter towards the FAI and Delaney in particular. And you can see where he's coming from on that one.

He also said he feels for the players and the manager but we really should've taken our chances, which is true.

He's also right about the ball being allowed to bounce in the six yard box, it should never have been allowed to happen. Still doesn't excuse what Henry did though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

evil_seed wrote: »
    fair play, no grudges there lol :rolleyes:. he is right in saying that the ball should have been cleared and that if we took our chances we'd be there

that's not the issue.

he's right, it should have been cleared, and we should have put the tie to bed, but that's not the issue.

people have a problem with the blatant cheating, which just gets accepted as 'part of the game'.

a replay is a bit much to ask, i'll accept that happily after a day or two to calm down, but there are huge issues that need addressed.

1) the introduction of video technology; and linked to this,

2) kicking out cheating.

FIFA have one of their greatest opportunities here to do something about this. it's brought the issues to light in a greater way than ever before. the way the game is handled, refereed and governed needs to be addressed.

FIFA can now choose whether they want to do their job, make big decisions and 'govern', or just sit on their asses and do f*ck all, pretending everything is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

listen to this bs from the french tosser of a coach

"France coach Raymond Domenech has admitted that his side qualified for next year's World Cup thanks to a refereeing error but dismissed claims of cheating and does not feel compelled to apologise.

Domenech said: 'On the pitch, I didn't see the handball. I have since looked at the footage and it is indeed a refereeing mistake.

'For me, it's a game incident and not cheating. Therefore, I don't see why we are asked to apologise.'"

that is just utter c0ck

serious, we should just close all these posts and leave it to bed as it will just get worse, I hope France meet the mother of all karma.

the rte site says herr blatter is unusally quite last few days, thats because the guy is too busy blowing off platini or some exec from adidas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Keane is bang out of order in lambasting the defenders and goalkeeper like that. There would be no goals in football if you take what Keane says to the logical conclusion

BaZmO* wrote: »
    In fairness to Keane, he's only really being bitter towards the FAI and Delaney in particular. And you can see where he's coming from on that one.

He also said he feels for the players and the manager but we really should've taken our chances, which is true.

He's also right about the ball being allowed to bounce in the six yard box, it should never have been allowed to happen. Still doesn't excuse what Henry did though.

The man is quickly turning into a joke. If he gets Ipswich relegated then c'est la vie. I won't look for his results anymore.

For him to stick his oar in and practically praise Henry whilst condemning McShane and Given is disgraceful. He is just taking the complete polar opposite view with a view to sticking the knife in.

As I said, he started off the interview making sense but it quickly descended into the bitter ramblings of a man with a grudge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

BaZmO* wrote: »

why was the 3rd official (if there eve was one...:rolleyes:) not consulted ?

seems a conspiracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

"In scenes reminiscent of the last days of the Vietnam War, French helicopters have begun evacuating French nationals from the roof of the French Embassy in Ballsbridge, Dublin. Crowds of frightened French nationals have been seen congregating outside the gates of the embassy in a desperate attempt to gain access. Two giant Sikorsky S-58 helicopters have begun transporting terrified expats to the French Aircraft Carrier Charles De Gaulle, which is stationed off the south east coast of Ireland."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Keane shouldn't be using this opportunity to have a dig @ the FAI. They have no fault in this situation and it just looks petty on his part. I'd agree with his criticism of McShane and hope to never see him in an Irish shirt again. He can fcuk right off though having a pop @ Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭jacool

Play fair "Winning is without value if victory has been achieved unfairly or dishonestly. Cheating is easy, but brings no pleasure. Playing fair requires courage and character. It is also more satisfying. Fair play always has its reward, even when the game is lost. Playing fair earns respect, while cheating only brings shame. Remember: it is only a game. And games are pointless unless played fairly."
    Observe the Laws of the Game "All games need rules to guide them. Without rules, there would be chaos. The rules of football are simple and easy to learn. Make sure you learn them; it will help you to understand the game better. Understanding the game better will make you a better player. It is equally important to understand the spirit of the rules. They are designed to make the game fun to play and fun to watch. By sticking to the rules, the game will be more enjoyable."
    Help others to resist corrupting pressures "You may hear that team-mates or other people you know are being tempted to cheat in some way or otherwise engage in behaviour deemed unacceptable."
    Law 10: Football Rules: LAW 10 - METHOD OF SCORING
    GOAL SCORED - A goal is scored when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, between the goalposts and under the crossbar, provided that no infringement of the Laws of the Game has been committed previously by the team scoring the goal.
    Clear case for a replay for me !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

why was the 3rd official (if there eve was one...:rolleyes:) not consulted ?

seems a conspiracy.

4th official.

Because that's not what he's there for. The ref consulted his linesmen, and no one saw the foul - supposedly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

enda1 wrote: »
    4th official.

Because that's not what he's there for. The ref consulted his linesmen, and no one saw the foul - supposedly.

Are you sure the ref consulted the linesman? I certainly did not see him doing that

Yeah he looked at them, and they didn't signal a foul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yeah Keane brought up some interesting points there particularly about the penalty against Georgia. And as for the goal, McShane was a bit weak on it (and he does tend to get caught out a lot in the premiership). Wouldn't blame Given as he has saved us so many times.
    Re Delaney, Keane probably still has some cause to feel aggrieved there. End of the day he missed out on World Cup and that obviously still rankles with him. FAI dont tend to stand by their players as has been proved in this campaign as well.
    Anyway was going to mention about bringing in the Tyrone boys for Gillette boycott
    http://dreamingarm.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/_44930792_tyronedub2.jpg..
    but somehow think Keane has put a dampener on that now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Ive always agreed with Roy on pretty much everything he says, but in this case I draw the line. Hes clearly letting his bitterness over Saipan cloud his judgement. You can see he HATES Delaney. But whats laughable is his annoyance over Delaney not calling him on the phone when he was in the hotel in Saipan! LMAO - A "blazer" like Delaney call Keano! In fairness to Delaney he knew what Roy was like and more than likely said to himself "I better leave this alone here, he wont appreciate me trying to talk to him"

For God sake, when Roy had afew bad results for Sunderland and Ellis Short tried to call him on his mobile, he wouldnt answer it! And then he ended up quiting his job over it! Give me a break Roy! John Delaney would have been damned if he did and damned if he didnt in Roys book.

Anyway, yes Ireland should have finished off France and yes, the French goal shouldnt have mattered because we should have been out of sight, but that doesnt excuse cheating. Its not the job of the Irish team to score enough goal to make up for cheating. Nobody gave them a prayer going into that match and they did brilliantly to beat the French in 90 minutes. To suddenly take the blame off Henry and blame Duff or Keane for not putting away chances is myopic bullshít.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Re Delaney, Keane probably still has some cause to feel aggrieved there. End of the day he missed out on World Cup and that obviously still rankles with him.

Telling us to get over it when he is carrying a 7 year old grudge is priceless. He is getting more and more bitter everyday, well he will be sacked from Ipswich eventually and then we will hear less and less from him as he drops further down the divisions.

Agricola wrote: »
    Ive always agreed with Roy on pretty much everything he says, but in this case I draw the line. Hes clearly letting his bitterness over Saipan cloud his judgement. You can see he HATES Delaney. But whats laughable is his annoyance over Delaney not calling him on the phone when he was in the hotel in Saipan! LMAO - A "blazer" like Delaney call Keano! In fairness to Delaney he knew what Roy was like and more than likely said to himself "I better leave this alone here, he wont appreciate me trying to talk to him"

For God sake, when Roy had afew bad results for Sunderland and Ellis Short tried to call him on his mobile, he wouldnt answer it! And then he ended up quiting his job over it! Give me a break Roy! John Delaney would have been damned if he did and damned if he didnt in Roys book.

Anyway, yes Ireland should have finished off France and yes, the French goal shouldnt have mattered because we should have been out of sight, but that doesnt excuse cheating. Its not the job of the Irish team to score enough goal to make up for cheating. Nobody gave them a prayer going into that match and they did brilliantly to almost beat the French in 90 minutes. To suddenly take the blame off Henry and blame Duff or Keane for not putting away chances is myopic bullshít.

They beat them in 90, drew with them in 180 and lost to them in 210.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think that in the coming days the people of France are going to feel like they have shown enough shame and sympathy over this incident and I would not blame them because none of this is their fault and I hope they enjoy watching their team playing in the World Cup next year. I hope the French team know however that their qualification is essentially a meaningless and empty one and that in the playoff they were outclassed by a smaller but hungrier team more honest in their endeavour.

briany wrote: »
    I think that in the coming days the people of France are going to feel like they have shown enough shame and sympathy over this incident and I would not blame them because none of this is their fault and I hope they enjoy watching their team playing in the World Cup next year. I hope the French team know however that their qualification is essentially a meaningless and empty one and that in the playoff they were outclassed by a smaller but hungrier team more honest in their endeavour.

Sure, the same way we would in fairness.

I will hope for an early French exit though.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    Was going to suggest that the Irish team do a tyrone job as part of a dig at Henry and his gillette friends but to pardon the pun, think Roy Keane has poured cold water on that one now. Perspective is a great thing.

http://dreamingarm.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/_44930792_tyronedub2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Sure, the same way we would in fairness.

I will hope for an early French exit though.

Yeah well that's the thing, whenever Ireland has not qualified for the World Cup in my memory it's because they essentially were not good enough (except this time) and I could watch the World Cup anyway, almost every game, because it is the pinnacle of football and whatnot. Next summer however I fear I will not much feel like watching it, especially if I have to watch Henry trotting around the pitch like he deserves to be there, it'll just dredge up all that dormant bitterness over their qualification and it is important not to be consumed by bitter feelings I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Ah, you have a point. Emotions are still running pretty high right now, but I still won't be buying any products that Terry Henry endorses. Also I have no reason to buy any of those products so that works for me!

I also won't be buying anything to do with FIFA. They have enough money.

Fair play (no pun intended) mate, I'm boycotting all the Gillette stuff myself. You have to hit him where it hurts: the pocket!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I was a Keane fan and took his side after Saipan but after his comments today he can go and f@ck!

Fair play (no pun intended) mate, I'm boycotting all the Gillette stuff myself. You have to hit him where it hurts: the pocket!

I'd like to but I need my Fusion Power blades, my Fusion Power shaving cream and my Fusion Power aftershave balm.

I can't resort to letting Wilkonson cut the face off me!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Good ould Keane he cant resist having a pop, its pathetic on his part.
    Having a go at Given is beyond belief, he can stick that where the sun doesnt shine tbfh.

• Advertisement

I was a Keane fan and took his side after Saipan but after his comments today he can go and f@ck!

Time to change your username, methinks! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Keano a P***k :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Believe me I am very tempted to do it... My blood is boiling!!!

I'd like to but I need my Fusion Power blades, my Fusion Power shaving cream and my Fusion Power aftershave balm.

I can't resort to letting Wilkonson cut the face off me!

Would you consider trying a safety razor, plenty of brands to choose from besides Gillette :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055448697&page=122

Dcully wrote: »
    Good ould Keane he cant resist having a pop, its pathetic on his part.
    Having a go at Given is beyond belief, he can stick that where the sun doesnt shine tbfh.
    Lets pray Ipswich get relegated.

Edit: The above was said in haste. I just want to see Keane fail at the club after his comments today.

• Advertisement

Lets pray Ipswich get relegated.

that's very unfair on Ipswich the club and the town

Headshot wrote: »
    that's very unfair on Ipswich the club and the town
    and what about us Irish people and players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Tough words from Keane. Although pretty funny considering he bottled it at Sunderland and his team are doing dreadfull under him this season and he left Ireland high and dry during the last world cup whatever his reasons were...thats a fact.

and what about us Irish people and players?

just criticise keane the manager

I for one as a keane fan has been very disappointed by what I heard from him today

such a bitter bitter man

just criticise keane the manager

I for one as a keane fan has been very disappointed by what I heard from him today

such a bitter bitter man
    Agreed. The Ipswich comment was OTT. Just want to see him fail after his words today. Still a bitter man.

greendom wrote: »
    Keano a P***k :D
    Lads a bit of perspective here.As he said in interview, he played for Ireland from under 15 upwards and then FAI turned their backs on him in Saipan. English reporters at that Ipswich town press conference were very naive in believing Keane would take side of FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Lol,

now its been heard that FIFA say no replay is possible Henry then says the fairest solution would be to replay the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Its the reason I think he will never be a top manager. Hes too petty and bares grudges. He doesnt seem to have the ability to take a deep breath and look at things from another perspective, such as someone elses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

such a bitter bitter man
    True enough. With such a bitter and vindictive streak in his personality it's hard to see how he can build the sort of personal relationships required to become a top class manager.
    As a player that's fine but it won't cut it in Management.

Aidric wrote: »
    True enough. With such a bitter and vindictive streak in his personality it's hard to see how he can build the sort of personal relationships required to become a top class manager.
    As a player that's fine but it won't cut it in Management.
    He obviously holds grudges for a long long time so god help any player under him who happened to be late for training one morning!

• Advertisement
Advertisement