Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Although when I said that these things happen in football yesterday you took exception to that type of comment.

Will you change your views again if Roy changes his?

Ive no idea what you are on about.

My exception to what you said yesterday was ONLY that you were using it as a dig at UTD. I said that yesterday.

My position on it has not and will not change. There should not be a replay.

If you look at say some of my posts on say the Eduardo diving thread I said everyone does it and these things happen. It should be removed from the top i.e. FIFA but singling out one player for it is wrong. It happens all the time, as do deliberate handballs but it just so happens that the circumstances here are very important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Keane couldnt be more right.

He really couldnt. The only thing in that clip thats even remotely debatable is when he says "wheres your keeper" when asking about why the ball isnt cleared from the six yard box.

Everything else he has 100% and absolutely spot on.

ive seen some bull posted here in the past but this is right up there with the best of it

the only spot on thing thing Keane had to say in all 5 mins was "are you going to knock it off? journo: no ill just let it ring out, keane: nice manners"

hypocrit of the highset order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

redout wrote: »
    MICK McCARTHY has blasted FIFA, saying it stands for 'Forget Irish Football Altogether'.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2738246/Forget-Irish-Football-Altogether.html

sums up my current feelings to an absolute tee; the entire thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

When he says cheating it sounds like sh1ting, freudian slip :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Dave! wrote: »
    LOL

Check out Roy's reaction to someone's phone ringing at 2.30 in this video :D Quality !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8370497.stm

that's good manners :D

****ing head on keane, like he's staring a hole into the journalist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Keane is bang out of order in lambasting the defenders and goalkeeper like that. There would be no goals in football if you take what Keane says to the logical conclusion

If Keano is sooooo good and such a great manager , why are his team leaking more goals than the current flood WE have , great player keano , bigger mouth , and its not slagging him off , cos im from Cork bouys :D

noodler wrote: »
    The man is quickly turning into a joke. If he gets Ipswich relegated then c'est la vie. I won't look for his results anymore.

For him to stick his oar in and practically praise Henry whilst condemning McShane and Given is disgraceful. He is just taking the complete polar opposite view with a view to sticking the knife in.

As I said, he started off the interview making sense but it quickly descended into the bitter ramblings of a man with a grudge.

and Given ...........Jez Roy careful there bouy , Shay Given is a true Irishman with Pride of his Country and more importantly ......a gentleman !!
    Shay Given Hero in my eyes , im gutted for him so i am :(

Would you consider trying a safety razor, plenty of brands to choose from besides Gillette :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055448697&page=122

Ladyshave maybe :D

Headshot wrote: »
    so its a instinctive reaction to stop the ball going out and they moving it in a bit for a better contact with your foot

my word what a _______

Could have used that expression wed night after the game when i came on here and called that person from france who handled the ball a f........... i forgot what i was gonna say now , damn !!!!!!!!!:D

mink_man wrote: »
    why don;t they put both France and Irleand through, then blattter and everyone else in the world would be happy?

I 2nd that mink_man , lets go .....................

Oh yea, fyp :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Pro. F wrote: »
    Keane has shown himself to be a small minded and bitter man. Wtf does the FAI's actions during Saipan have to do with this?! He is such a hypocrite, telling people to get over this while he's still banging on about Saipan.

On his point about us not taking our chances and letting the ball bounce in the box:

That is not important. We did enough to be level on aggregate after 120 minutes. France's only goal was a foul one. Our forwards didn't convert more chances? Well here's some big news for you Keano - they aren't the best group of forwards in the world! But they were good enough and courageous enough to get to penalties against the French. Our defenders let the ball bounce in the box? Well here's more news for you - defenders make mistakes! McShane fooked up royally but the goal still should not have stood. And, finally, Given shouldn't have let the ball bounce? You're wrong Roy. And your uneducated and unfair blaming of Shay probably explains why you have been unable to organise a defence since you've become a manager. Given was right to stay on his line considering the direction of the ball and the location of the defenders.

You know what Keane, you can fùck right off.

I'll prefix this by saying I hate Keane

I just listened to the interview and you're missing the point. The only thing he said about Saipan was what goes around comes around. A throwaway comment. He has an grudge so he said it but that wasn't the point of the press conference.

The fact is he's right. What the FAI are doing is getting pathetic. You'd swear that if that had have been a handball then we would have been through. France completely dominated the Extra time and had a clear peno turned down and had the best other chance when Govou skyed it. Ireland had just taken off Lawrence and would have not gone in as favourites for the penalty shoot out. Ireland had the chances in regular time and they blew it.

Had Keane, Duff or Whelan (I think in the first leg) put one of those chances away we'd be celebrating a famous victory. They never should have left it go into extra time.

I don't know if anyone watches UFC here but all this is very reminiscent of a fight that one guy dominates but doesn't finish. he lets it go to the judges and they make a bad call. He's distraught and cries foul but he had chances to win earlier and not leave it up to the chance of potentially poor officiating.

Ireland looked delighted to reach extra time. The bar were delighted. We should have been angry at the team for blowing the chances, giving France a chance to regroup and bring the ruckus to us. They did it and they deserved to win those 30 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

We should sue FIFA for the craic deficit we'll incur next summer.

That would be Henry trying to salvage his damaged reputation. As the saying goes, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me

Hello George :D

playa3 wrote: »
    Here's what Wenger had to say about it

The best thing that could come out of this whole situation would be for FIFA to wake up and introduce video technology or something similar. Unfortunately people seem to be more concerned about setting up facebook pages about Henry and marching to the french embassy(:rolleyes:) to try get a replay that was never going to happen.

To Each his own i think , at least they are not cheating ;)

What are the chances anyone handling the ball this saturday on tv getting a red after the ref Consults with his linesman :D Paddy Power anyone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

enda1 wrote: »
    4th official.

Because that's not what he's there for. The ref consulted his linesmen, and no one saw the foul - supposedly.

the ref consulted diddly squat

show me footage with him doing so sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

On Le Monde there is already a backlash brewing. They are bringing up the two Georgia games and the decision by FIFA to hold the first game in Mainz and in the second, the penalty that should never have been given to Ireland. They ask how are those injutices so different??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

redout wrote: »
    Second time the phone went off. Roy a bear with a sore head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

4119585401_236604ec35.jpg

4119587685_5a59e9e8a2.jpg

4119612007_debafc10b0.jpg

Full set here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Since we're giving links, heres a vid I uploaded to youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVROvjt_JWs
    Just thought I'd give ye the link, it looked amazing in Croker:D

Edit: Here's a nice pic to go with it :D:
    2vcgapf.jpg

their goalie is pure class and imagine only 22

bloody hell

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

bloody hell

He really was brilliant over the two games. His decision making was perfect.

Easily the best french Player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I asked Didier Drogba for his opinion on the handball incident and this is what he had to say:

DM-ICE wrote: »
    He really was brilliant over the two games. His decision making was perfect.

Easily the best french Player.

definitely.

or Anelka.

those French performances minus Anelka would have been frighteningly bad i suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

bloody hell

the french keeper was some goalkeeper,great goalkeeper,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

For anyone interested John Delaney gives a half hour interview to Daire O Briain on setanta ireland, starting now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Not sure if it's been mentioned earlier in the thread, but Robbie Keane has released a statement in response to Henry's statement:

"On behalf of the Republic of Ireland players, I would like to thank Thierry Henry for his statement this afternoon (Friday) that in his opinion a replay would be the fairest option.

As captain of the French team, to make such a statement took courage and honour, and all of us recognise that. As captain of the Republic of Ireland team, I would also be happy for a replay to happen in the interest of fair play so that whichever team qualifies, can do so with their heads held high. We can only hope that the French Football Federation might accept the wishes of both captains in the best interests of the game."

so no one answered the post about a 4th official

the fact he was not consulted over the incident beggar's belief and warrants a replay on its own

seriously, if hereford were playing bumbly bee rovers II in the next round of the cup and there was an incident, the 4th official would be consulted (most likely..!)

and here we have shay given, a man of honesty and integrity (unlike said African - Algerian - French players...) lambasting the ref, along with all the Irish players... in a play off game for the world cup finals watched by hundreds of millions globally....

and ..........

nothing. not a ****ing thing...! up with his arm, and carry on lads. !

flipping joke that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Not sure if it's been mentioned earlier in the thread, but Robbie Keane has released a statement in response to Henry's statement:

Who does he think hes fooling? Of course Henry would ask for a reply *after* FIFA fully rule out one. :O

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Full set here

Tough to look through the ones at the ends, Andrews, Duff they look in bits.
    Dunne just has a "What the f**k just happened" look on his face. Dont get me started on McShane.

Any report on O'Sheas injury? how serious was it?

A half fit o'shea= McShane*5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Thread has calmed down i see. :D

After our pathetic display in the 1st leg i was pessimistic of our chances when seeing the team was unchanged but boy was i fookin amazed at how the same 11 players could perform in what should have been an even harder 2nd leg away with a 1 goal deficit.Trap abandoned his cautious approach finally, and from the 1st whistle we were in their faces but unlike at croker this time with a purpose, an attacking purpose.We dominated them for large parts of the 90 minutes and bar some sloppy finishing should have killed the tie well before the 90 mins were up.

Players cheat all the time in football, some moreso than others, but cheating is cheating nonetheless.Henry insert random player name here has cheated many times before and will probably do so again unless the governing bodies crackdown on it severely, which won't happen ,seeing as UEFA bottled it with Eduardo, only because of the precedent it would set, bottlers ijs.

Anyway i don't think a replay is the right answer as it's just one of those things that didn't get spotted by the officals unfortunately.Neither would video tech as it would take from the sport imo.Extra linesmen,umpires or whatever might help, maybe...

As for banning Henry , hmmm, players get ridiculous bans all the time but the governing bodies who spout fair play don't have the backbone to try eradicate cheating from the game.They could send a message though, with a 7 game competitive ban just to appease us. ;)

Bottom line is we got screwed just like many teams in the past,present and until there is severe deterrent of some sort, can add future too. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I just listened to the interview and you're missing the point. The only thing he said about Saipan was what goes around comes around. A throwaway comment.
    Read the quotes on the RTE website and it wasn't a throw away comment. He also complains about Delany not ringing him in Saipan. All totally unnecessary, unrelated and hypocritical given his general gist is 'get over it'.
    The fact is he's right. What the FAI are doing is getting pathetic.
    Nothing pathetic about asking for some fair treatment. Whatever the FAI's motives, i have no problem with them decrying this injustice.
    You'd swear that if that had have been a handball then we would have been through. France completely dominated the Extra time and had a clear peno turned down and had the best other chance when Govou skyed it.
    That is bollox of the highest order. Sure France we're more dangerous than us but they in no way dominated extra time, we were continuing to out fight them. They didn't manage to score one legal goal in the entire 120mins. Govou's chance came when we were chasing the game and had to leave ourselves completely exposed in defence and he still missed it. Up until their illegal goal we did enough to be level on aggregate. We can't know what might have happened in the remainder of extra time, if their illegal goal had been ruled out, but to say that they were dominating is absolute nonsense.

Oh and they're peno claim was in no way a 'clear peno'. The fact that you think it was shows how arseways you view football.
    Ireland had just taken off Lawrence and would have not gone in as favourites for the penalty shoot out.
    More nonsense. Penalty shoot outs are notoriously unpredictable so to use that as part of your argument as to why the hand ball isn't that important is stupid.
    Ireland had the chances in regular time and they blew it.

Had Keane, Duff or Whelan (I think in the first leg) put one of those chances away we'd be celebrating a famous victory. They never should have left it go into extra time.
    They didn't blow anything. The made some defensive mistakes like ALL teams do but the French failed to capitalise (within the rules). The Irish team failed to convert some chances but the French failed even more so. 1-1 on aggregate would have been a fair reflection of the football played in the two legs. In fact, 1-1 agg was the scoreline of legal goals scored even though we had to madly chase the game after their hand ball and left ourselves exposed.

If this was Man United i would be complaining about not killing the game off in normal time, on top of the illegal goal complaint. But United are one of the biggest teams in world football and we expect the absolute pinnacle of footballing excellence from them. This, however, was a footballing minnow playing a superpower. So it's not like I'm going to demand perfection from the Irish players. I demand that they do their best, which they did, and the fact remains that they played very well and were fully deserving of their 1-1 aggregate score.
    I don't know if anyone watches UFC here but all this is very reminiscent of a fight that one guy dominates but doesn't finish. he lets it go to the judges and they make a bad call. He's distraught and cries foul but he had chances to win earlier and not leave it up to the chance of potentially poor officiating.
    Yeah i watch all sorts of combat sports and your analogy is faulty. If the guy who had been beaten for most of the fight pulled out a submission with an eye gouge, thus winning with an illegal move, then your analogy would make sense. Judges' decisions are part of the rules that the fighters agree to before the fight, they can be a bit of a lottery (far less so than a penalty shoot out) but that is part of the excepted rules. If we had been beaten by a legal goal or in the penalty shoot out then I would accept that our inability to score more in during the game meant that we didn't deserve to win.

Gourcruff and the keeper the only 2 decent players in the french team

they also happen to be the only 'french' players in the team.

jokers and they are making Ireland look like fools, if that happened against a power house nation, you reckon they would get away with it.

they also happen to be the only 'french' players in the team.

jokers and they are making Ireland look like fools, if that happened against a power house nation, you reckon they would get away with it.

you think Gourcruff was decent for the french team over the 2 legs ?

ive heard alot of people are always praising him but i wasnt impressed with him much at all maybe he plays better for bordeaux

d22ontour wrote: »
    Thread has calmed down i see. :D

After our pathetic display in the 1st leg i was pessimistic of our chances when seeing the team was unchanged but boy was i fookin amazed at how the same 11 players could perform in what should have been an even harder 2nd leg away with a 1 goal deficit.

The first leg Irish performance was certainly not pathetic. I think we all agreed that with the stand offish approach the team took and trying to contain the French was in many ways down to Trapattoni's tactics and was a tactical blunder on his part. It nearly paid off though but the approach drained the Irish team and left them out on their feet and the French goal was from a lucky deflection to be quite fair. The second leg vindicated the team however and showed that they really could play football when they were really allowed to or took it upon themselves or whatever. I think over both legs it was at least even. You have to admit, the Irish goal was the best goal of the playoff whereas one French goal was fortuitous and the other......well the other one should not exist.

gourcuff did sweet FA. andrews, whelan, lawrence and duff shat on their midfield in that 2nd leg.

all about lloris and anelka for me.

none of the rest impressed me at all. perhaps gallas in the first leg at a push.

you think Gourcruff was decent for the french team over the 2 legs ?

ive heard alot of people are always praising him but i wasnt impressed with him much at all maybe he plays better for bordeaux

Im not referring to their contribution on the pitch more, like their morals....:rolleyes:

the rest of the African/Algerian team, sorry the French team have about as much decency as Dr Abullah Ahamed who said he would give me 50M euros (fifty million euros)... :(

the rest of the African/Algerian team, sorry the French team have about as much decency as Dr Abullah Ahamed who said he would give me 50M euros (fifty million euros)... :(

our english/n irish team, i mean irish team, has done well in the past though don't you think?

SlickRic wrote: »
    our english team, i mean irish team, has done well in the past though don't you think?

and northern Ireland

• Advertisement

and northern Ireland

duly noted and added. :)

briany wrote: »
    The first leg Irish performance was certainly not pathetic. I think we all agreed that with the stand offish approach the team took and trying to contain the French was in many ways down to Trapattoni's tactics and was a tactical blunder on his part.

We all agreed ? :confused: We were at home in a 2 legged KNOCKOUT TIE and our gameplan was to stop the other team from scoring, which only worked for 45 minutes.That was pathetic as was the performance.

It nearly paid off though but the approach drained the Irish team and left them out on their feet
    They were drained after 45 minutes of football ? 10 professional footballers were drained after 45 minutes ? Seriously, that is weak.
    the French goal was from a lucky deflection to be quite fair.
    That's irrelevent and you know it.

The second leg vindicated the team however and showed that they really could play football when they were really allowed to or took it upon themselves or whatever. I think over both legs it was at least even. You have to admit, the Irish goal was the best goal of the playoff whereas one French goal was fortuitous and the other......well the other one should not exist.

I have posted about the 2nd leg already but that has little to do with the fact of us been awful in the 1st leg , no ? Hence you dismissing my opinion ?

:rolleyes:

We all agreed ? :confused: We were at home in a 2 legged KNOCKOUT TIE and our gameplan was to stop the other team from scoring, which only worked for 45 minutes.That was pathetic as was the performance.
    That was the managers fault for insisting on the deep defending tactics that fooked up our midfield. It gave the midfielders an impossible work load. That's why the performance was so poor.
    They were drained after 45 minutes of football ? 10 professional footballers were drained after 45 minutes ? Seriously, that is weak.
    What are you talking about. The length of time is only half the equation. The other half is the work put in in that time. Because of Traps foolish tactics in the first leg the players had too high a workload and were shagged out after only half the game had been played.

That was the managers fault for insisting on the deep defending tactics that fooked up our midfield. It gave the midfielders an impossible work load. That's why the performance was so poor.

What are you talking about. The length of time is only half the equation. The other half is the work put in in that time. Because of Traps foolish tactics in the first leg the players had too high a workload and were shagged out after only half the game had been played.

I was quoting the above post which said we were drained.Considering the gameplan which was pathethic worked till half time, it wouldn't be too much of a presumption to say he meant we were drained in the 2nd half ? Oh we were awful in the 2nd half , no ? Shagged out ? Seriously , you think 10 professionally trained athlethes were shagged out after 45 minutes then you are more deluded than the poster i quoted.We contained them quite well in the 1st half i suppose from a negative point of view.2nd halves tactics were actually worse than the 1st halfs but the blinkers need come off to realise that.We actually tried soak the pressure in the 2nd half which was an awful tactic which lead to us going behind due to a pathetic performance by all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

How would people feel about continuing the game from the Henry incident, so whatever was left off the extra time and then onto penalties if there wasnt another goal?

I was quoting the above post which said we were drained.Considering the gameplan which was pathethic worked till half time, it wouldn't be too much of a presumption to say he meant we were drained in the 2nd half ? Oh we were awful in the 2nd half , no ?
    dude i really can't understand what you want to say here.
    Shagged out ? Seriously , you think 10 professionally trained athlethes were shagged out after 45 minutes
    I think they were definitely tiring big time and either Trap told them to sit deep and don't worry about inviting the French on or they ended up doing that anyway because of fatigue.

I don't get why your so hung up on the 45 minutes part, a professional athlete could be totally exhausted within 5 minutes if the work rate was intense enough.
    then you are more deluded than the poster i quoted.
    that's not very constructive and is totally unnecessary.
    We contained them quite well in the 1st half i suppose from a negative point of view.2nd halves tactics were actually worse than the 1st halfs but the blinkers need come off to realise that.We actually tried soak the pressure in the 2nd half which was an awful tactic which lead to us going behind
    I don't know why you think i support Trap's choice of tactics. Did you read my post that you quoted? I said that Trap's tactics were foolish.
    due to a pathetic performance by all.
    If you agree that Trap's tactics were poor and you saw the honesty of effort (Giles TM) from the players over the two legs then to say that their performance in the first leg was pathetic is utterly churlish.
    Well done. What a fantastic way to end your post. It is quite in keeping with the tone of the the rest of your post.

Hey I'm just stating an opinion, you can disagree if you like ,but delusional? A bit strong I think. Incorrect maybe but I'm just calling it as I saw it. I'll just say more tired than the French players then.;)

dude i really can't understand what you want to say here.

I think they were definitely tiring big time and either Trap told them to sit deep and don't worry about inviting the French on or they ended up doing that anyway because of fatigue.

They played a containing game for 45 mins with a 15 min break afterwards which didn't work.Fatigue after 45 minutes isn't a factor for 10 outfield players.
    I don't get why your so hung up on the 45 minutes part, a professional athlete could be totally exhausted within 5 minutes if the work rate was intense enough.

The quote seemed to deem we gave it our all , we didn't ,we tried a typical italian gameplan and it was awful .A 100m distance runner would be fatigued after 45 min so your point may hold some theoretical point , but for a professional footballer , it doesn't.

that's not very constructive and is totally unnecessary.
    Possibly and i apologize.

I don't know why you think i support Trap's choice of tactics. Did you read my post that you quoted? I said that Trap's tactics were foolish.

I wasnt quoting you but they were inept, not foolish , infact they were so wrong he sought to address that in the 2nd leg unbeknown to us.I don't hold you responsible for Traps ineptness in the 1st leg ya know.
    If you agree that Trap's tactics were poor and you saw the honesty of effort (Giles TM) from the players over the two legs then to say that their performance in the first leg was pathetic is utterly churlish.

It was a home game in a knockout tie.Without looking at the atcual outcome of the 2nd , one would deem winning the home tie to be of the up most importance, no ? Infact most teams in the situation try to win the home game.We didn't try to win the home game, which is what is a grievance to me as i have posted.

Well done. What a fantastic way to end your post. It is quite in keeping with the tone of the the rest of your post.

Thank you , i do try... ;)

They played a containing game for 45 mins with a 15 min break afterwards which didn't work.Fatigue after 45 minutes isn't a factor for 10 outfield players.

It totally can be. For example, it is a common enough occurrence to see a team go hell for leather in the first ten or twenty minutes of a half and then have to ease off because they have run out of steam. This usually happens to teams who don't retain possession well. Our team didn't hold onto the ball well (Trap doesn't value it enough) and the defenders sat very deep (presumably to deal with the french strikers' pace) - the midfielders are going to tire very quickly when both these things happen.

It was not very long into the second half that our midfielders started to stay deep. I'm saying this happened either because they were already tiring or because Trap had warned them to conserve their energy this way.
    The quote seemed to deem we gave it our all , we didn't ,we tried a typical italian gameplan and it was awful
    The players gave it their all, when they were allowed. The defensive Italian gameplan was entirely down to Trap. The players should not be accused of having not given it their all.
    .A 100m distance runner would be fatigued after 45 min so your point may hold some theoretical point , but for a professional footballer , it doesn't.
    As I said before, the time is only half the equation. The other half is the workload. Trap's tactics meant that the workload for the midfielders was too high to be sustained for the entire game so they had stay deep more and more as the game went on. In fact the workload was so high that the midfielders could only keep it up for 45 or 55 minutes or so. It is common enough form from a defensive team - they try to get forward a lot early on, without securing possession, and only end up over working their midfielders. Especially when you factor in the deep lying defenders.
    Possibly and i apologize.
    cool
    I wasnt quoting you but they were inept, not foolish , infact they were so wrong he sought to address that in the 2nd leg unbeknown to us.I don't hold you responsible for Traps ineptness in the 1st leg ya know.
    You did actually quote me but if you were refering to another porter then cool.

Foolish tactics / inept tactics, I'd agree with either.
    It was a home game in a knockout tie.Without looking at the atcual outcome of the 2nd , one would deem winning the home tie to be of the up most importance, no ? Infact most teams in the situation try to win the home game.We didn't try to win the home game, which is what is a grievance to me as i have posted
    Yeah i agree. We should have used our 2nd leg tactics in the first leg too. Trap fooked up royally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

A new still from the game in Paris

Advertisement