Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v Rep of Ireland ,WC Playoff 2nd leg,[Mod Warning Post #1/988/1169/1400]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Headshot wrote: »
    their goalie is pure class and imagine only 22

bloody hell

Everytime they panned to Barthez in the crowd I just sat there wishing he was on the pitch. If only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes back to Roy Keane interview. I think that maybe he was right about McShane and I have always been a bit worried about him as a defender despite a terrific game against Cech Republic a few years ago when he won man of the match.
    But everytime i see him since he continually lets an opposition player get goal side of him. Happens time and time again. And yet Trap brought him on at a crucial time. But Keane was bang out of order blaming Given who we will find very hard to replace when he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Just seen Delaney's interview on the hub , And like all good politicians he trying to say all the right things , but the one word that keep on coming to my mind was SPINELESS
    If this is the man to spearhead a challenge for change in the modern game we are fcuked . It will be a hell of a long wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

green123 wrote: »
    richard dunne should not have been so friendly with henry after the game

Eric Cantona agrees with me

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2740373/Cantona-Id-have-hit-Henry.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

_46769819_football.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

green123 wrote: »

Eric just goes up in my estimation every time. Calls it as it is, even when it's France involved.

If Eric's boxing is anything like his kung fu, Henry has nothing to worry about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Eric just goes up in my estimation every time. Calls it as it is, even when it's France involved.

+1

+1

Sherifu wrote: »
    _46769819_football.jpg
    what are those french fans laughing about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Possibly cause they have won ;)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Possibly cause they have won ;)
    I say that Irish official with his hands on his head (thinks its maldini) wiped that grin off their smug faces fairly quickly. Too bad we dont have follow up photo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I say that Irish official with his hands on his head (thinks its maldini) wiped that grin off their smug faces fairly quickly. Too bad we dont have follow up photo!

What are you on about?

They are absolutely delighted about scoring, probably without having a clue about the handball..

or

At qualifying for the world cup

Smug faces?
    not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

they're french.

and they're through.

why wouldn't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I still can't believe people are still saying to have a replay...never ever gonna happen.

If it was Keane (who should have scored instead of trying to round the keeper) had done the same we would be praising him and wouldn't give the French another thought.

We lost because of a dodgy decision, fair enough but so have many other teams in the past. Roy Keane was actually correct in one statement yesterday when he spoke about the peno against Georgia, should never have been given, but we were happy to carry on and claim the win that put us in a position for the playoffs.

The reason Ireland aren't going to the World Cup is because of Trappatoni not being adventurous enough when Italy were there for the taking, in both games and for dropping points against Montenegro. He also should have fought tooth and nail to get Stephen Ireland back. Other than Given and possibly Dunne he is/was our best player.

And lol at the people who have lost respect in Henry. Who is to say you wouldn't do the exact same thing if you were in that position? I'm quite sure I would, and be the nations hero for taking us to the World Cup.

Funny world. You get to be the hero for taking us to the world cup with your fantasy handball and Roy Keane is painted as the Villain for giving out about the state of the Saipan car park Ireland trained on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

there's somthing I dont get

they keep saying le cheat's handball was instinct

how was it instinct ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It is only instinct if you are a cheat. The instinct of an honest player is to remove your hand from the trajectory of the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I still can't believe people are still saying to have a replay...never ever gonna happen.
    Not many actually wanted one i would have thought ?
    If it was Keane (who should have scored instead of trying to round the keeper) had done the same we would be praising him and wouldn't give the French another thought.
    True, the game should have been over at 90 minutes but for some awful finishing.
    We lost because of a dodgy decision, fair enough but so have many other teams in the past. Roy Keane was actually correct in one statement yesterday when he spoke about the peno against Georgia, should never have been given, but we were happy to carry on and claim the win that put us in a position for the playoffs.
    That just tells us something needs to be done to avert these kind of situations.
    The reason Ireland aren't going to the World Cup is because of Trappatoni not being adventurous enough when Italy were there for the taking, in both games and for dropping points against Montenegro.

That's true but you could throw in Bulgaria too, tactically we were inept against opposition, who, against our poor tactics were still poor teams.We should have topped the group as it panned out.
    He also should have fought tooth and nail to get Stephen Ireland back.
    Maybe just after what happened with him then ,yeah,maybe but it became apparent he didn't want to play for us so no, fook him and his attitude.We have players who want to play for us but don't get picked , which is more worrying tbh.Andy Reid and Keith Fahey are 2 that spring to mind.

And lol at the people who have lost respect in Henry. Who is to say you wouldn't do the exact same thing if you were in that position? I'm quite sure I would, and be the nations hero for taking us to the World Cup.
    What i find more funnier is the fact he has cheated many times before but yet we still admired him as a professional.We actually had admiration for him even when we have witnessed his antics before they affected us.That says a lot about football in general. :(

d22ontour wrote: »

What i find more funnier is the fact he has cheated many times before but yet we still admired him as a professional.We actually had admiration for him even when we have witnessed his antics before they affected us.That says a lot about football in general. :(

Sure people attacking Henry now will have in the past ignored the sins of there own players and even defended them, now for me that says more ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

EVERYBODY.......GET OVER IT!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well "What ifs" seem to have been a big factor in Ireland's Campaign in the last decade in my opinion. What if we had beaten the Netherlands in 2000? What if John O'Shea took his chance against France in 2004 and we'd successfully closed out Israel? What If we'd beaten Montenegro both times and hung on to 2-1 against Italy? What if Duff or Keane beat Lloris a second time? It's all what ifs but it doesn't make what happened in the end any less gutting.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

The reason Ireland aren't going to the World Cup is because of Trappatoni not being adventurous enough when Italy were there for the taking, in both games and for dropping points against Montenegro. He also should have fought tooth and nail to get Stephen Ireland back. Other than Given and possibly Dunne he is/was our best player.

Keane would not have scored either way against that French keeper - I have to say of all the French players he put in the best performance by far. He was amazing and only his defence was pierced by brilliant work by the Irish team he would have kept his clean sheet.

Roy Keane was talking out his bitter arsehole about the decision against Georgia. Yes, we got a dubious decision. If the decision hadn't been allowed, as every result from then on stood, and we drew against Georgia, we still would have came second for the play-off place. It's neither here nor there. Ireland would have still qualified.

Trapp was 100% to not give a **** about Ireland. No player is better than the team. Trapp comes from a style and attitude of football that people like you will never comprehend. He's never going to beg some clown from Cork back no matter how good he is, whatever Ireland's perceived injustice is.

The reason Ireland isn't going to South Africa is because FIFA is corrupt and Thierry Henry is a cheat. You can say all you like about "what would you do in the position". He cheated. He is a cheat. He always will be. If Keane had done it he would not have been got away with it. Come on ffs, A DOUBLE OFFSIDE AND A DOUBLE HANDBALL. Whatever about the ref not seeing the handball, the linesman had to have seen the two Frenchmen offside.

CCCP^ wrote: »
    . If the decision hadn't been allowed, as every result from then on stood, and we drew against Georgia, we still would have came second for the play-off place. It's neither here nor there. Ireland would have still qualified.

Who knows what would have happened as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Headshot wrote: »
    there's somthing I dont get

they keep saying le cheat's handball was instinct

how was it instinct ?

the instinct was to keep the ball in motion, but where he let himself down was with the deft second flick of his wrist, which ducksie walsh would be proud of, he set it up nicely onto his boot to flick onto the head of galls

and that was not instinct, it was callous and devious intention.

for that reason, the people of Ireland should hope France get bludgeoned in next summers WC ,in ever single game (which they probably will anyway) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

KungPao wrote: »
    A new still from the game in Paris

I got no thanks for my terrific photoshop skills.....

:(

I got to say, after having had some time to cool down...that the real reason we aren't going to SA is not TH or FIFA, but our own lack of confidence and overly cautious tactics from Gio.

Look back at our games, many we should have won, and interestingly some we should have lost..... At the end of the day we didn't deserve to go to SA....terrible attitude for some games, poor tactics for most, and poor quality in general.

I am as sickened as most Irish fans, after the cruel way we went out, but them's the facts I think.

2 more years from our current crop.....let's make the most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

for that reason, the people of Ireland should hope France get bludgeoned in next summers WC ,in ever single game (which they probably will anyway) :)

Actually, if nothing is done to root out the divers, cheats and charlatans, I will be wholeheartedly supporting France in South Africa in 2010. What better epilogue that have the cheat in question accept the World Cup trophy from the worms at the top. A fitting end to a sorry story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

KungPao wrote: »
    I got to say, after having had some time to cool down...that the real reason we aren't going to SA is not TH or FIFA, but our own lack of confidence and overly cautious tactics from Gio.

Look back at our games, many we should have won, and interestingly some we should have lost..... At the end of the day we didn't deserve to go to SA....terrible attitude for some games, poor tactics for most, and poor quality in general.

I am as sickened as most Irish fans, after the cruel way we went out, but them's the facts I think.

2 more years from our current crop.....let's make the most of it.

If you think Ireland, with it's squad of "poor quality" players and "poor" tactics employed, didn't deserve to go, then can you honestly say France, with its so called superstars and supposed flair and fluency with the ball and attacking football, deserves to go in our place?

From what I saw over the course of the two legs played in Paris and Dublin, absolutely not.

• Advertisement

CCCP^ wrote: »
    If you think Ireland, with it's squad of "poor quality" players and "poor" tactics employed, didn't deserve to go, then can you honestly say France, with its so called superstars and supposed flair and fluency with the ball and attacking football, deserves to go in our place?

From what I saw over the course of the two legs played in Paris and Dublin, absolutely not.

Just to clarify;

I meant poor quality play and not players. We have some very good players, that if the management believed in, could have won the group.

I don't think we deserved to go to SA overall, not just based on the playoff game. Looking back at the group games, we were on the ropes almost all the time, always nervy and never confident and comfortable.

We were terrible against Cyprus, Bulgaria, Georgia and Montenegro - home and away. Fantastic against Italy (x2) and France, particularly in the 2nd leg.

If we weren't so cautious, and defensive, and we got rid of this 'small country, small ambitions' mentality, we could win the fecking world cup, nevermind scraping qualification.

And I'm serious, if we had the right attitude we could have won it. These days, all countries are beatable, nobody to fear. Sadly, we feared everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

LOL

PR team working hard.

Acccording to SINDO yesterday Domenech was the guy who scuppered chances of replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I've often wondered what the referees' viewpoint on video technology is. Sepp Blatter seems to be all about protecting the referees, or so he says, but this makes no sense; surely the referee would want all the support he can get; especially when you consider the stress caused to the likes of Martin Hannson and Tom Henning Ovrebo. It seems video technology is good for fans, referees, managers and everyone else. But I haven't heard any of them come out in support of it.

I've often wondered what the referees' viewpoint on video technology is. Sepp Blatter seems to be all about protecting the referees, or so he says, but this makes no sense; surely the referee would want all the support he can get; especially when you consider the stress caused to the likes of Martin Hannson and Tom Henning Ovrebo. It seems video technology is good for fans, referees, managers and everyone else. But I haven't heard any of them come out in support of it.
    Point was made that when Zidane was sent off, Fourth Official tipped ref off on the head butt. Which was in contravention of the rules. Not sure if that had any bearing on Wednesday as by all accounts Hansen was told in his ear piece it was a hand ball. but word has it the frenzy following the goal confused him. He thought they were saying Gallas has handled the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Point was made that when Zidane was sent off, Fourth Official tipped ref off on the head butt. Which was in contravention of the rules. Not sure if that had any bearing on Wednesday as by all accounts Hansen was told in his ear piece it was a hand ball. but word has it the frenzy following the goal confused him. He thought they were saying Gallas has handled the ball

Who told him in his earpiece?

• Advertisement

Source? If that is true, things just got juicier. Ditto with the possibilty of Domenech having scuppered the replay. Hasn't really sunk in that Ireland aren't going to the World Cup yet but I guess it won't till we see France lining out in SA next year.

By the way, after Ireland scored their goal, did you see the footage of Trap turning to his bench and giving a sly knowing wink? I thought that was great. If Ireland had won, that wink would already be legendary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

briany wrote: »
    By the way, after Ireland scored their goal, did you see the footage of Trap turning to his bench and giving a sly knowing wink? I thought that was great. If Ireland had won, that wink would already be legendary.

I will more remember a 70 year old man in the middle of the pitch frantically waving his arms and pointing his arm to the officials after 'the' goal....in a moment when all the officials seemed to lose their vision.

briany wrote: »
    Source? If that is true, things just got juicier. Ditto with the possibilty of Domenech having scuppered the replay. Hasn't really sunk in that Ireland aren't going to the World Cup yet but I guess it won't till we see France lining out in SA next year.
    This from front page of Sunday Independent.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/domenech-blocked-replay-1950705.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Martin Hansson, the referee at the centre of the Thierry Henry handball furore, has spoken at length for the first time about his "turbulent" ordeal and admitted he considered retiring during the fallout from the affair.

The 38-year-old Swede failed to see Henry's double-paddle of the ball with his hand, which allowed the forward to then cross for William Gallas to head the extra-time equaliser which sent France to next summer's World Cup finals at Ireland's expense.

Speaking to his local newspaper, Sydöstran, Hansson said he hopes to return to high-profile officiating during the final round of Champions League group games next month.

"It has been a turbulent week. I cannot really comment anything about the match, and I'm not the one who decides that. That is Fifa regulations to protect the referees until the investigations are done," he said. "I asked myself if this job is worth all the humiliation I had to face.

"Thoughts like, 'Is this really what I want?' also came up in my head. But now I realise, after all the support I've got, that it wasn't my fault. It was an unlucky situation with big consequences for Ireland. But it wasn't our referee team's fault."

Of his return to refereeing in the Champions League on either 8 or 9 December, he added: "It is good to get a match so soon after all this [ France v Ireland flak]."

Hansson also said that directly after the second leg of the playoff in Paris last Wednesday he and his Swedish assistants returned and were offered support. "[On] Thursday we went to Enköping where all Swedish referees had a meeting. There we were offered support. We talked a lot, which felt good. The group got to know what had happened."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/nov/24/referee-thierry-henry-handball-france-ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

manutd wrote: »
    I think that interview is few days old now, but either way, he's right, it's not his fault. Although, this point is BS.
    "But it wasn't our referee team's fault."
    It certainly wasn't his fault, as there were players in his way obstructing his view, but the linesman had a perfect view of the handball and shouldn't have missed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

That request was rejected, after which Henry released a statement saying a replay would be the "fairest solution".

bold italic and underlined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

john47832 wrote: »
    That request was rejected, after which Henry released a statement saying a replay would be the "fairest solution".

bold italic and underlined

But poor Titi, he must not have had time to release a statement as he spent so much time soul searching and contemplating retirement. It wasn't his fault. What did you want - for him to stop, tell the ref then cross it (clearly the only other option available to him). You're a funny guy if you think that. He was just 'exploiting a situation that could be exploited', and it is clearly the refs fault for not calling him on it. Titi (or TH14 if you like) is the real victim in all this - all he did was cheat, lie and try to play the media. We can all agree that's what every other footballer, especially Robbie Keane, would have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

"But it wasn't our referee team's fault."

It wasn't their fault, it wasn't Henry fault, it wasn't Fifas fault, its nobodys fault!

Come off it someone is to blame for an incident like that. The PR machine is indeed rolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

patmac wrote: »

Stop whoring your own thread, have you no shame?

noodler wrote: »
    Stop whoring your own thread, have you no shame?
    have you no sense of humour

have you no sense of humour

Oh ze irony!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Crow71

Im still finding it hard to watch football after this game:(

Crow71 wrote: »
    Im still finding it hard to watch football after this game:(

Couldn't agree more. Watched the Liverpool - City game in some horrible state of indifferentness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement