Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Spices?

Options
  • 17-11-2009 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hey all! Just wondering what spices would be in your 'larder' for cooking Indian food? Am looking to stock up on spices so that I don't have to keep buying shop-sauces. What would be the most important spices to buy?

From looking at recipes I can see that these would be good to get. Could you recommend any others?
    -Cumin
    -Chili Flakes
    -Cardamon
    -Tumeric

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

Some others that would be useful

Garam Masala
    Cloves
    Red Chili Powder
    Fenugreek
    Corriander (Powder)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Curry leaves,
    Green cardamom pods,
    Black cardamom pods,
    Fenugreek,
    Kalonji seeds,
    Asafoetida,
    Coconut Milk,
    I sound like a stuck record or a Dorling Kindersley pimp but the Book "Curry" has a very good section for each regional recipe section.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I typically have in my cupboard:

Essential:

Cumin seeds
    Corriander seeds
    Tumeric powder
    Green Cardamom pods
    Cinnamon Sticks
    Cloves
    Chile powder
    Black Pepper Corns
    Salt

Tamarind
    Ghee

Nice to have:

Saffron
    Curry leaves
    Fennel seeds
    Caraway seeds
    Mustard seeds
    Amchoor Powder (dried mando)
    Star Anise (more for Chinese stuff)
    Schezwan Pepper Corns (more for Chinese stuff)

Often mean to buy:

Fenugreek Seeds
    Black Cardomom Pods
    Asafoetida
    Onion Seeds

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree with your list there the beer revolu. The first ones are pretty much essentials, and will cover 95% of eventualities. There's no point in the OP going out buying some of the more obscure ones straight away, they'll just end up in the back of a cupboard somewhere going stale, unless he literally lives on Indian food 24/7.

One thing I'd add .. for cumin and coriander, don't buy the ready ground stuff. Buy the whole seeds and a cheap coffee grinder, and grind small quantities of the spices either as you need them, or make up a small quantity and store in an airtight jar.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Wow thanks a million for the detailed responses. You can always count on boards! I am going to try a Chicken Jalfrezi tonight. I also might treat myself to this: http://tiny.cc/lIlM2 :D

• Advertisement

silvo wrote: »
    Wow thanks a million for the detailed responses. You can always count on boards! I am going to try a Chicken Jalfrezi tonight. I also might treat myself to this: http://tiny.cc/lIlM2 :D

I really wouldn't bother.
    You tend to get poor quality, old, ground spices in these racks, half of which you'll never use. Also, spices should be kept in the dark.
    Just buy the spices you want in small quantities (from Asian shops).
    Keep them in small airtight containers (small mustard/jam jars are perfect).
    Buy whole and grind fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I really wouldn't bother.
    You tend to get poor quality, old, ground spices in these racks, half of which you'll never use. Also, spices should be kept in the dark.
    Just but the spices you want in small quantities (from Asian shops).
    Keep them in small airtight containers (small mustard/jam jars are perfect).
    Buy whole and grind fresh.
    Agreed. Get them from your local friendly Asian store, and buy the smallest quantity you can (don't be tempted by the huge bags, even though they work out much cheaper!). They're usually sold in plastic bags, so just put a small quantity into a small airtight jar for convenient use, either in a re-used jar or you can buy proper screw top storage jars if you want them all to look the same. Keep the opened bags somewhere dark and cool .. I seal my bags with bag clips and keep them in an old biscuit tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Great! Thanks for the advice. Damn ebay makes me want to buy things I dont really need anyways!

Oh yes if you do get asafoetida make sure you have an airtight container for it, it can smell pretty strongly in a cupboard sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tandoori powder or paste (can probably be made from those spices listed)

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Oh yes if you do get asafoetida make sure you have an airtight container for it, it can smell pretty strongly in a cupboard sometimes.

Where do you get yours? I've been looking for some and I can't find it.

CJhaughey wrote: »

I've never used it or tasted it - is it like anything else??

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Where do you get yours? I've been looking for some and I can't find it.

I can't recall exactly :o I think it was a place in Killarney called soul food, It has closed down now. It was in a small yellow plastic container.
    Asafoetida has a....distinctive smell, unlike anything else, you only need a small bit but it adds a very rich flavour to some curries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I typically have in my cupboard:

Essential:

Cumin seeds
    Corriander seeds
    Tumeric powder
    Green Cardamom pods
    Cinnamon Sticks
    Cloves
    Chile powder
    Black Pepper Corns
    Salt

Tamarind
    Ghee

Nice to have:

Saffron
    Curry leaves
    Fennel seeds
    Caraway seeds
    Mustard seeds
    Amchoor Powder (dried mando)
    Star Anise (more for Chinese stuff)
    Schezwan Pepper Corns (more for Chinese stuff)

Often mean to buy:

Fenugreek Seeds
    Black Cardomom Pods
    Asafoetida
    Onion Seeds

You left out Ginger. That's discrimination. :)

You left out Ginger. That's discrimination. :)

and garlic, and fresh chillies.
    They're fresh ingredients - I'd put them along with onions and tomatoes and yoghurt - all essential for most curries - oh - and fresh coriander leaf.

Advertisement