Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fergal Quinn/ JC's

Options
  • 17-11-2009 11:49am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭

Fergal Quinn is on Ray D'arcy right now talking about his new tv show.
    He's doing a Gordon Ramsey on shops/family businesses.
    He is helping them run their businesses better, and will be filming the tv show in JC's on Thursday.
    The Show will be on RTE in Jan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

They were giving out leaflets in the store on Saturday. Telling people they were making a film this Thursday and to come along for spot prizes, wine tasting, champagne etc. etc.

From 11am, if you're interested. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Not much he can do with JCs, great shop :pac: Best white pudding in the country. Cheap veg, cheap drink, cheap meat. always loads of girls on the tills and parking is fine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I heard this was coming up - it'll be interesting to see the programme. I love JC's, they're one of the few supermarkets that really care about the customers.
    The meat deals they've had lately are amazing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I know I'm a bit perplexed as to how they can improve the place?
    maybe having toilets? I know there's some old ones beside the old creche?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Would Quinn's time not be better spent going back to the senad( for which he recevies a generous salary and pension from us the tax payers!) and trying to sort out the spiralling mess the country is in?

No, now he wants another salary from the license fee payer:mad::mad::mad:
    Fcukin leech!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Ginny wrote: »
    I know I'm a bit perplexed as to how they can improve the place?
    maybe having toilets? I know there's some old ones beside the old creche?

Toilets would definitely be a good idea. I hope Fergal doesn't tell him to remove the Wall of Bargains - that thing is an institution!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 loveandlive

Love fergal quinn!!
    legend!

Ginny wrote: »
    Fergal Quinn is on Ray D'arcy right now talking about his new tv show.
    He's doing a Gordon Ramsey on shops/family businesses.
    He is helping them run their businesses better, and will be filming the tv show in JC's on Thursday.
    The Show will be on RTE in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

spadder - Take it to the Politics or Ranting & Raving forum. HB

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

They have been filming bits and pieces over the last few months .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

spadder wrote: »
    Would Quinn's time not be better spent going back to the senad( for which he recevies a generous salary and pension from us the tax payers!) and trying to sort out the spiralling mess the country is in?

No, now he wants another salary from the license fee payer:mad::mad::mad:
    Fcukin leech!

I know the poster has been smacked down but I would like to point out that Fergal Quinn doesn't take his salary from the Seanad.

JCs is a fantastic shop. The only thing they could do would be cosmetic - it's quite old-fashioned looking.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Your man's annoucements over the intercom are class - always guaranteed a giggle

could explain the new sign near the bus stop and the new ceiling signs?

I love the announcements, they crack me up. Has anyone seen this week's flyer they're putting in the doors. It's advertising the filming on Thursday morning and at the bottom it says 'Contrary to speculation Jedward won't be appearing' :D:D:D

I also love his tradition of bringing in the first Easter eggs on Christmas Eve - he's been doing it for years just for the craic.

Redpunto wrote: »
    Your man's annoucements over the intercom are class - always guaranteed a giggle

Ah yeah! Barry certainly loves the mic. :)

And the Wall of Bargains and then when it's Easter Eggs. :)

And don't forget the uselessful crap (mini paper shredders, who doesn't need them!) that's always at end of the aisles.

Place is always packed. I guess maybe coz it's family run it's a success and grocery shops have been in the family business for 70+ years. (Think it's more than that actually).

Larianne wrote: »
    And don't forget the uselessful crap (mini paper shredders, who doesn't need them!) that's always at end of the aisles.

I call them the bargain tables - they're like treasure troves! Now and then you'll find something really useful for half nothing. A few weeks ago I got 2 swiss roll baking tins for €1.49 each - I hadn't been able to find them anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Redpunto wrote: »

"We have a fantastic offer, FANTASTIC offer, on Chilean wine...from Chile"

Its priceless. Great shop. Love going in there for lunch when I'm in Swords library.

Was in there tonight got 2 full bags of fresh fruit and veg and a large bag of roosters all for €10, the place is fantastic, beats Dunnes Etc hands down.
    Loved the wine warehouse a while ago....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Fergal Quinn is a great oprator. Really shrewd businessman with some really good ideas who quite a few of our politicans could do with listening to. Apart from not taking a salary from Seannad I heard he does not claim expenses from any of the committees he has been on.

I dont think he can do a lot with J.Cs, it is unique in todays market where the customer is always put first.
    J.C. has for many years been a great supporter of Fingal produce and given great support to local charities especially old folks clubs, the people who kept him in business.

The bargain tables at the end of the isles are better than many of the big chain stores.

Keep up the good work J.C

And todays special are 4st bags of spuds straight from the soil!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Was in there this evening - never saw it look so tidy!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

I've been living in Kinsealy for 6 years and have never set foot in place. I must be missing out....Can some on give me dirctions from Swords Village?

• Advertisement

TheBlock wrote: »
    I've been living in Kinsealy for 6 years and have never set foot in place. I must be missing out....Can some on give me dirctions from Swords Village?

Go up the main street and turn left at the castle, then just follow the road until you see a Dunne's Stores on the right - it's below road level. JC's is behind Dunne's, it's all part of the same building. It's a great supermarket, and one of the few with a proper butcher's section.

I was up there this morning and it was a riot. Barry was in flying form on the intercom and he had everyone in stitches. There was a run on the wine spritzers for 99c a bottle and he was hilarious.
    Lots of great bargains, and Fergal was wandering around too.

I was up there this morning and it was a riot. Barry was in flying form on the intercom and he had everyone in stitches. There was a run on the wine spritzers for 99c a bottle and he was hilarious.
    Lots of great bargains, and Fergal was wandering around too.

Were they filming at all?

Wine spritzers 99c? Dam me and my edumacation!

Went in at 11am and the place was packed! Managed to avoid the cameras but got to hear the brilliant announcements..

"Next up in our spot price is a turkey voucher..another turkey voucher. There'll be no turkeys left in north County Dublin. The question is...where does Australian wine come from?"

After that

"We'll have another spot prize in 20 minutes, thats 20 minutes, so dont crowd around me, you're making me nervous."

It was great! Lovely pineapples for €1.99 :)

Larianne wrote: »
    Were they filming at all?

Wine spritzers 99c? Dam me and my edumacation!

Yes, there was a small crew filming here and there around the store.

There were a lot of the spritzers - there might be some left tomorrow. One was raspberry and lime and the other was peach.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Went in at 11am and the place was packed! Managed to avoid the cameras but got to hear the brilliant announcements..

"Next up in our spot price is a turkey voucher..another turkey voucher. There'll be no turkeys left in north County Dublin. The question is...where does Australian wine come from?"

After that

"We'll have another spot prize in 20 minutes, thats 20 minutes, so dont crowd around me, you're making me nervous."

It was great! Lovely pineapples for €1.99 :)

What about 'We have lovely wines on special offer, wine for everyone - except French people after what happened last night' :pac:

What about 'We have lovely wines on special offer, wine for everyone - except French people after what happened last night' :pac:

Haha! I missed that one. Priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MAB83

I've lived in Malahide all my life and have never been to JC's. Must check it out, sounds great.

Advertisement