Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bull Fertility

• 17-11-2009 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Anyone know how or where I can get a bull fertility tested? He is doing the job but I am beginning to think he is firing blanks. I asked my vet and he recommended another vet but said it would cost €300 if successful , and even €150 if he failed to get a sample! He needed a quiet cow on heat on the day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

iatrogenic wrote: »
    Anyone know how or where I can get a bull fertility tested? He is doing the job but I am beginning to think he is firing blanks. I asked my vet and he recommended another vet but said it would cost €300 if successful , and even €150 if he failed to get a sample! He needed a quiet cow on heat on the day.

Just get your cows scanned. After 60 days, the scanner can pick up the calf. It would be cheaper and easier than testing the bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

depending on what part of the country you are in you could bring the bull to ucd vet college they are normally very happy to work with bulls , they had mine there last year and sorted him out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

iatrogenic wrote: »

whelan is correct , the vets college in UCD is the only place in the northern half of the country you can get it done , scanning cows wont give you a definitive answer as bulls can be half right , its not a case of all or nothing contary to what many people think

the A.I stations used to provide this service but not anymore , thier is a dutch lady in the vets college who deals with this , ring UCD and ask to be transfered to the vets college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

they used to have an electroejaculator out in Lyons estate one time whether or not its still there, suppose you could get a sample off your bull that way

• Registered Users Posts: 4 iatrogenic

Thanks for replies.
    I have done lepto and salmonella test on cows as too many are repeating...both negative. BVD test inconclusive.
    Bull was lame a few months ago and got a lot of drugs...possibly a factor or at least makes me suspicious.
    I am in Galway and not sure I would fancy heading to UCD.

I probably will have to cull but still unsure of real problem.I have googled and it seems bull fertility testing is available on farms by vets in uk, but not offered here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement