Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU bashing and complaints

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

jkeire wrote: »
    As regards the infamous SU clique, it’s all a load of rubbish. We are much less of a clique and more good friends.

Also, facebook has been hit lately with a good few SU related pages, which of course helps with visibility. Also, earlier in the semester, when I was remarkably less busy, I put up a few posters around for Derek. And has anyone not seen the huge feck-off Christmas tree the SU got put up in the courtyard? I think it really boosts the feel of the place.

As regards getting involve, I would echo what was already said about joining clubs and socs, class reps, join a working group, even dress up like a giant sperm and walk around if you want to!! Also, you can join anytime. I wasn’t a class rep until the middle of last semester and by the end of the academic year, I counted a lot of reps amongst my closest friends. 20 of us even went to Spain together for the holidays.

Also, as people, the SU are genuinely lovely, approachable people. You really couldn’t meet nicer and they do their work well.

I cannot comment on TP or COOP or other stuff along those lines, but the SU do some great work and I think those who are so ready to bash them may want to get themselves a little bit more informed before they make comments.
    I'd echo the clique thing. I was part of the "C&S clique", but in my mind, people can think what they like, there are approximately 1/4 of students in clubs and societies. I don't think something that big could be classed that way. A clique is a closed shop veiled with secrecy. Clubs and societies receives 2/3 of all money received by ULSU through capitation, this is all accounted for publicly at Clubs and Societies Council. No other institution in the country has a council of Clubs and Societies, there are staff members who make decisions. ULSU C&S Council has recently approved the hiring of a second staff member, set its own vehicle usage policy as drafted by one of it's members and refined by C&S Exec (a body elected by the same Council)

If anyone doesn't see where I'm going with this, I'm getting at accountability, ULSU has it in spades. ULSU is, to my knowledge, the only Union that allows its Union/Class Reps Council to fine the officers a percentage of a week's wages.

On the joining point I will say that we hit the freshers hard in week 0, telling them that they're all members of the Union. You do not need to join, you just need to get involved. The Union is designed to be driven by the students and progressed by the officers. Anyone with ideas compaitble with Union policy can come to any of us and take on any project they like. I would like to see more of it.

I feel this thread is becoming very productive as it's highligting a lot of issues, some of which we were not aware of, and I would encourage others to contribute and tell us what they want. We might not be able to give it, but you can ask why at a UGM.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mrmanire

ninty9er wrote: »

If anyone doesn't see where I'm going with this, I'm getting at accountability, ULSU has it in spades. ULSU is, to my knowledge, the only Union that allows its Union/Class Reps Council to fine the officers a percentage of a week's wages.

Quick question.

Has a student union officer ever been fined a proportion of their wages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

mrmanire wrote: »
    Quick question.

Has a student union officer ever been fined a proportion of their wages?

Possibly once...not entirely sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

ninty9er wrote: »
    How to get involved:

We've set up an email address that was publicised in An Focal. It's sugetinvolved@ul.ie. All you do is tell us what you're interested in and there'll be something you can do in general. This new email address is on the new SU flyers in the new SU An Focal stands.

I do take the point though. We had one guy last year volunteer to do estate and riverbank cleanup after RAG week to appease his village manager about something or other. He calls in and says hi from time to time and asks if there's anything that needs to be done. It sounds too simple to be the way it is, but it is that simple.

Thank you for that! Now I know and will do my best to get involved next semester. I'm not saying that ye've not put procedures in place or not tried to let students know how to get involved but from a first year perspective it seems we don't know much about the whole SU thing - but sure, maybe that's part and parcel of being a first year, like not knowing much about the whole time management thing.

Now I'm off to do the English essay rewrite due for tomorrow. :D

Oh, THANK YOU FOR THE CHRISTMAS TREE - made my month!! <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ms. Education

This is just in relation to the TP questions about a page back. Payment for TP was looked into from a legal standpoint two years ago. According to the solicitor/barrister that the SU spoke to, it is legal not to pay student teachers because they are students and not qualified teachers. That's just a bit of background.

In my opinion (and I'm open to correction and redirecting) the fight is in terms of expenses and getting proper allowances for STs. I raised the issue of student teachers with the Dean of EHS at the start of my term but I was more or less told "whinge somewhere else". The placement protest last year was something to build on and I'm still posting newly signed complaint forms on to her to show the degree of annoyance in relation to placements. Aside from that I want to run another placement protest next semester, hopefully bigger and better than last years.

If there's more that student teachers want me to do, then let me know and we can discuss it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ms. Education

mrmanire wrote: »
    Anyway; Ms Education, I'd buy you a drink. You are the most credible officer the SU has had in a long time. I f you are out next week; a friendly drink is waiting for you. Much respect due.

Thanks for that. I really appreciate it.

Now if only I knew who you were to claim that drink.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

I have to agree with Mrmanire and as Fiachra said above, you have been doing a great job and coming on here to create this thread took a lot of balls.

This thread gave people a chance to highlight a good few issues that should be taken to new threads over the coming days. Certainly something I intend to do.

Hopefully Mrmanire will put his talk into action and buy you that drink :D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mrmanire

Ah lets just say; I'm a well enough face around UL. If I ever catch you in the stables or the lodge you'll get the drink. :)

I probably owe you a drink too drake. You seem to be only person who ever backs me up on this thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 FootnMouth

@ PervertedCoffee - I know what you mean about having to find out the way to get involved, but I did it right back from my first week here.

Also, I have found that the Sabbats do a lot of work behind the scene that we don't know about, and I find it as a whole, unfair the large volumes of criticism that is being posted on this thread. Alot of the work they do, is case work with students - which is hardly going to be broadcasted across the internet or the courtyard. It's confidential, if any of ye went into Derek's office and requested information about Student Assistance Funds, you wouldn't want it (I presume!) being spread around the University as an example of his daily work, do you?

Its very easy to sit in front of a computer screen/keyboard and type to your heart's desire about the lack of work be it visable or otherwise that they do/don't do.
    How many of the people here, excluding the Sabbats actively speak or ask any of the officers a question? Request some information? Volunteer yourself for any of the events/campaigns?

In my opionion, and that is all that it is, walk a mile in their shoes, then you can complain/complement their work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Niamh_

FootnMouth wrote: »
    @ PervertedCoffee - I know what you mean about having to find out the way to get involved, but I did it right back from my first week here.

Also, I have found that the Sabbats do a lot of work behind the scene that we don't know about, and I find it as a whole, unfair the large volumes of criticism that is being posted on this thread. Alot of the work they do, is case work with students - which is hardly going to be broadcasted across the internet or the courtyard. It's confidential, if any of ye went into Derek's office and requested information about Student Assistance Funds, you wouldn't want it (I presume!) being spread around the University as an example of his daily work, do you?

Its very easy to sit in front of a computer screen/keyboard and type to your heart's desire about the lack of work be it visable or otherwise that they do/don't do.
    How many of the people here, excluding the Sabbats actively speak or ask any of the officers a question? Request some information? Volunteer yourself for any of the events/campaigns?

In my opionion, and that is all that it is, walk a mile in their shoes, then you can complain/complement their work.
    Well said. I'm only in first year but until I came onto this thread I had never heard anyone say anything but good things about the SU.

• Advertisement
Advertisement