Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Holland

Options
  • 17-11-2009 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

This was brought up on a thread a while back- how about a Dutch boards.ie meetup? Which part of Holland is everyone living in? I guess since parts of Belgium and Germany are close enough to travel to aswell we could extend it to people interested there...

So I'm in the process of moving to Eindhoven with my OH who is also Irish. We came here in 2007. Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Hi
    Just noticed your thread, i was just offered a position with a company in Arnhem yesterday, it has been left with me to 'mull it over' for a few days and make my decision.

The plan is should I accept that my boyfriend will look for a job there then aswell, i am really hoping he will have success in this however!!!

My main worry is the cost of living in Holland, I was only there for 24 hours for the interview and did not really have a chance to get out and price things, is it as expensive as every one says it is ...in comparision to ireland is it more or less expensive (the arnhem region i suppose where I would be based)

Also, the tax system really confuses me!
    Is it expensive to rent in the region

Sorry for all the q's, very confused now as what is the best decision to make, i have been researching the above myself online but I seem to keep get conflicting information :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Hi there!

We've been living in the Netherlands for over two years and have been in Eindhoven since last November.

There are alot of differences between Ireland and here, but I would say mainly good ones. The tax system can be confusing, the tax bands are much higher than at home but you get alot back as long as you document everything and submit this once a year. Your employer should be able to explain it to you. If you're a contracter and you're earning enough, it's worth investing in an accountant but we find that generally people are quite helpful.

I've never been to Arnhem but having searched hopelessly for work here for four months and luckily finding one recently, I wouldn't say there would be much there. However it is more than possible to live in a slightly bigger city and commute to Arnhem on a daily basis. I know people who go from here to Maastricht, one guy even the Hague, for their 9- 5. Monster is a good place to look, and if he has a background in technology or IT, Den Bosch, Breda and Eindhoven are the best places to try.

Things don't seem more expensive, and don't have to be if you're clever. There are things like insurance that you have to have like health insurance and personal liability insurance, but to be honest there's no harm really. I think you would be fine if you earned a combined income of between 3 and 4 grand net per month, but that is more of an opinion based on my personal circumstances- mortgage, car, dog etc etc etc. I know it's possible to get by on less :).

It is a good idea to enroll in Dutch lessons aswell. It is a wonderful place to live but you will be lonely and miss alot in the beginning. This part of the country is a better place to be as far as I'm concerned though. The difference between here and Amsterdam/ Rotterdam/ The Hague, it's like the difference between Dublin and the rest of Ireland.

To be honest we didn't think about the move very hard- between interview and move it took us as long as our notice periods at home :). Looking back I might have done a few things differently but we are very, very happy with where we are now and dread to think what might have happened if we'd stayed at home.

Good luck with your decision, but make sure your fella starts getting his CV in order and out there as soon as possible. Make the company pay you relocation aswell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

i'm currently living in amsterdam, even here in a city i find it cheaper than where i lived in kerry back home, rent is similar pricing, cheaper outside city of course, food is around 10-20% cheaper in supermarkets and resturants and take aways etc. jobs are plentiful for english speakers in amsterdam whether it is skilled or unskilled work like bar/kitchen work. i hope this helps. let me know if you have more questions

Hi there!

We've been living in the Netherlands for over two years and have been in Eindhoven since last November.

There are alot of differences between Ireland and here, but I would say mainly good ones. The tax system can be confusing, the tax bands are much higher than at home but you get alot back as long as you document everything and submit this once a year. Your employer should be able to explain it to you. If you're a contracter and you're earning enough, it's worth investing in an accountant but we find that generally people are quite helpful.

I've never been to Arnhem but having searched hopelessly for work here for four months and luckily finding one recently, I wouldn't say there would be much there. However it is more than possible to live in a slightly bigger city and commute to Arnhem on a daily basis. I know people who go from here to Maastricht, one guy even the Hague, for their 9- 5. Monster is a good place to look, and if he has a background in technology or IT, Den Bosch, Breda and Eindhoven are the best places to try.

Things don't seem more expensive, and don't have to be if you're clever. There are things like insurance that you have to have like health insurance and personal liability insurance, but to be honest there's no harm really. I think you would be fine if you earned a combined income of between 3 and 4 grand net per month, but that is more of an opinion based on my personal circumstances- mortgage, car, dog etc etc etc. I know it's possible to get by on less :).

It is a good idea to enroll in Dutch lessons aswell. It is a wonderful place to live but you will be lonely and miss alot in the beginning. This part of the country is a better place to be as far as I'm concerned though. The difference between here and Amsterdam/ Rotterdam/ The Hague, it's like the difference between Dublin and the rest of Ireland.

To be honest we didn't think about the move very hard- between interview and move it took us as long as our notice periods at home :). Looking back I might have done a few things differently but we are very, very happy with where we are now and dread to think what might have happened if we'd stayed at home.

Good luck with your decision, but make sure your fella starts getting his CV in order and out there as soon as possible. Make the company pay you relocation aswell :)

Hi
    Thanks to both of you for your replies.

In relation to a relocation package, what does that usually cover? I have never had to look in to a relocation package offer before obviously so dont know what I should ask for. Does the company cover the cost of the first flight over? Should I ask for an amount of money to compensate me for relocating? Do they put me up in a hotel/other accomodation until I find my own place??

Also, Im glad to hear denhaagenite that you must have brought your dog over, that will be my plan also. He will have to get a pet passport and rabies vaccination. I would be willing to look for accomodation further out from city centres for this reason as I prefer a back garden, possibly rent would be cheaper this way also?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hi
    Thanks to both of you for your replies.

In relation to a relocation package, what does that usually cover? I have never had to look in to a relocation package offer before obviously so dont know what I should ask for. Does the company cover the cost of the first flight over? Should I ask for an amount of money to compensate me for relocating? Do they put me up in a hotel/other accomodation until I find my own place??

Also, Im glad to hear denhaagenite that you must have brought your dog over, that will be my plan also. He will have to get a pet passport and rabies vaccination. I would be willing to look for accomodation further out from city centres for this reason as I prefer a back garden, possibly rent would be cheaper this way also?

To get an Idea of food prices have a look at:

www.ah.nl - most widespread shop in the Netherlands, little bit pricier than some of the cheaper shops (Konmar/Jumbo/Nettorama/C1000)

Have a look at: www.funda.nl
    For rentals, actually its the only place you should be looking, they are all bonded makelaars (estate agents)

Maybe something like this ?
    http://www.funda.nl/huur/duiven/huis-3445801-mercurius/

Remember, most places will be unfurnished, if you get a place furnished you'll be an extra 200 - 300 euros / months. If you see yourself staying for a year its better to head to Ikea and pickup some stuff on the cheap.

Or you can go to a second hand furniture shop (Called a Kringloopwinkel) and pickup stuff really cheap (usually quite good too)

Theres one in Arnhem:
    Naam Staffies Kringloopwinkel
    Adres Volkerakstraat 18
    Plaats 6826 GM Arnhem
    Telefoon via 0900-9888 *

Company should always pay for your flight, if you take the job they'll offer either a lump sum or ask you to provide receipts and they'll reimburse you. You'll have to see what they offer and work out if you can do it cheaper than the lump sum. All of that would be in your contract. If you want the no hassle option get them to pay costs and just give them the receipts for all costs related to relocation. Usually they'll cover a hotel for a few weeks when you get to the Netherlands.

Also ask them about the 30% Regeling.
    http://www.expatax.nl/30ruling.htm

Your employer shouldn't charge you for applying for it.

Bringing your Dog to the Netherlands isn't as hard as going with it to Ireland as the Netherlands doesn't have the Rabies test rule:

Info here:
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/getapetpassport/

You'll need to get your Doggy chipped, but basically one your vaccincations are up to date you'll be fine, its only if your thinking about bringing your dog back to Ireland that you'll need get the rabies antibodie test done and you could sort this at a later date in the Netherlands if you like.

There a few carriers you can go with but ferry would probably be the least hassle and least traumatic :)
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/approvedpetcarriersroutes/

If you have a car you can bring it with you, you can also register it in the Netherlands for free if you've owned it for at least 6 months in Ireland. Even though the steering wheel will be on the wrong side, its not a big hassle and you'll pay ALOT more for a car here than you would in Ireland.

• Advertisement

To get an Idea of food prices have a look at:

www.ah.nl - most widespread shop in the Netherlands, little bit pricier than some of the cheaper shops (Konmar/Jumbo/Nettorama/C1000)

Have a look at: www.funda.nl
    For rentals, actually its the only place you should be looking, they are all bonded makelaars (estate agents)

Maybe something like this ?
    http://www.funda.nl/huur/duiven/huis-3445801-mercurius/

Remember, most places will be unfurnished, if you get a place furnished you'll be an extra 200 - 300 euros / months. If you see yourself staying for a year its better to head to Ikea and pickup some stuff on the cheap.

Or you can go to a second hand furniture shop (Called a Kringloopwinkel) and pickup stuff really cheap (usually quite good too)

Theres one in Arnhem:
    Naam Staffies Kringloopwinkel
    Adres Volkerakstraat 18
    Plaats 6826 GM Arnhem
    Telefoon via 0900-9888 *

Company should always pay for your flight, if you take the job they'll offer either a lump sum or ask you to provide receipts and they'll reimburse you. You'll have to see what they offer and work out if you can do it cheaper than the lump sum. All of that would be in your contract. If you want the no hassle option get them to pay costs and just give them the receipts for all costs related to relocation. Usually they'll cover a hotel for a few weeks when you get to the Netherlands.

Also ask them about the 30% Regeling.
    http://www.expatax.nl/30ruling.htm

Your employer shouldn't charge you for applying for it.

Bringing your Dog to the Netherlands isn't as hard as going with it to Ireland as the Netherlands doesn't have the Rabies test rule:

Info here:
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/getapetpassport/

You'll need to get your Doggy chipped, but basically one your vaccincations are up to date you'll be fine, its only if your thinking about bringing your dog back to Ireland that you'll need get the rabies antibodie test done and you could sort this at a later date in the Netherlands if you like.

There a few carriers you can go with but ferry would probably be the least hassle and least traumatic :)
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/approvedpetcarriersroutes/

If you have a car you can bring it with you, you can also register it in the Netherlands for free if you've owned it for at least 6 months in Ireland. Even though the steering wheel will be on the wrong side, its not a big hassle and you'll pay ALOT more for a car here than you would in Ireland.

Thanks a mill for all the info, really appreciate it.
    In relation to the Regeling, it has been mentioned to me that I might be eligible for it, however it is up to my company to 'sign me off' on it and also they may not give a relocation package should the agree the the Regeling? Personally the Regeling option sounds very very good, but should I be allowed to avail of it I would still like to hold on to my relocation package.

THe option of renting an unfurnished house and stocking it up with cheapish/reasonable furniture sounds like the way to go in the long run

Thanks again :)

Thanks a mill for all the info, really appreciate it.
    In relation to the Regeling, it has been mentioned to me that I might be eligible for it, however it is up to my company to 'sign me off' on it and also they may not give a relocation package should the agree the the Regeling? Personally the Regeling option sounds very very good, but should I be allowed to avail of it I would still like to hold on to my relocation package.

THe option of renting an unfurnished house and stocking it up with cheapish/reasonable furniture sounds like the way to go in the long run

Thanks again :)

Thats not specifically true, the 30% Regeling (Regeling means Ruling) is a Tax incentive to get foreign knowledge into the country. This means that once you can prove you have a skill that theres a shortage of in the Netherlands your pretty much guaranteed to get it. Its not a benefit that your Employer gives, your employer would normally still pay your relocation cost.

Once you have it, it lasts for 10 years and it means that 30% of your wages are Tax Free, basically its like getting an extra weeks wages (ish).

I have heard of some places saying that the 30% Ruling is for your relocation, but this is not true. Just talk to them and see what they say.

It just means that your employer can pay your relocation costs Tax Free.
    http://www.belastingdienst.nl/variabel/buitenland/en/private_taxpayers/private_taxpayers-108.html
    If you come to the Netherlands to work, you may face additional expenses (known as extraterritorial expenses). Your employer can pay you a tax-free allowance for the extraterritorial expenses you incur.

In addition, your employer can pay you 30% of your wages, including the allowance, free of tax. This facility is known as the 30% facility. Under this facility, there is no need to provide evidence of any expenses incurred.

They've offered you a job and have given you time to think it over, they sound decent enough. No harm in asking if they'll apply for you, its just a form for them to fill out really, they may need a photocopy of any certs/diplomas etc from you to send to the Belastingdienst (Dutch version of the Revenue).
    It's pretty important that the process for application is started within the first month you get here, it gets a bit more difficult the longer you leave it.

Renting a place and stocking with Cheap furniture is the way to go, then if you stay here a bit longer you can slowly replace it with nicer stuff, or if you move or decide to buy a place at least you won't be sleeping on the floor ;)

Might be worth asking if they will sort out a relocation agent for you, this would be fairly common. Basically someone to help you sort out getting your BSN Number (PPSN Number), registering with the Gemeente (City Hall) and help with opening a Bank Account (would recommend ABN Amro, best online banking, you almost never have to ring or go into a branch and its all in English)

Ok, great to have that info! They have told me what my monthly salary will be, I have asked for the to provide me with a 'mock' wage slip so I will know what my net monthly wage will be

Just wondering do you know if there is a possible online calculator for this maybe so I cna do the calculation myself and compare with what they provide me ... maybe I am being too cautious but I would like to make sure I am being thorough

There prob is no calculator as I would have to (hopefully) take the Regeling into account, which wold not be included in the calculator. In general I just do not know what tax band I would be on ... Again I have tried to find this info but can be vague :confused:

Ok, great to have that info! They have told me what my monthly salary will be, I have asked for the to provide me with a 'mock' wage slip so I will know what my net monthly wage will be

Just wondering do you know if there is a possible online calculator for this maybe so I cna do the calculation myself and compare with what they provide me ... maybe I am being too cautious but I would like to make sure I am being thorough

There prob is no calculator as I would have to (hopefully) take the Regeling into account, which wold not be included in the calculator. In general I just do not know what tax band I would be on ... Again I have tried to find this info but can be vague :confused:

There isn't many online calculators online because everyones situation is different and their net varies widely.

30% Employees, Contractors, European Employees, Cross Border workers etc.

Calculate your worst case scenario with Tax (Take 40% off your gross, no idea what your earning) it'll be a bit more than Ireland.
    I don't know your lifestyle at the moment or what you expect here so I can't tell you what would be comfortable money for you :)

You also have more tax deductibles, such as when you buy a house for example you can right off the interest against your income, so think less about the money you get into your bank account and the more money you can claim back, Ireland does this with a Tax free allowance at source depending on your circumstances

Heres an overview of the tax brackets.
    http://www.belastingdienst.nl/variabel/buitenland/en/private_taxpayers/private_taxpayers-29.html#P324_36147

Also factor in that your partner may not be able to find work for a while.

Remember to stick your forms into the Revenue in Ireland before you leave for rent relief and a refund on your Tax Free allowance for the remainder of the year !

I received an email from the company this morning with 2 mock payslips attached to give me an indication of net take home (Regeling option has not been discussed with them yet)

One payslip showe what my net would be if I went with the health insurance option via employer. The other payslip had no deductions for health insurance and assumed I look after it myself.

Firstly I was diappointed in the amount of money I lost to deductions and tax. The payslip that had the health insurance via employer on it makes me worse off than i am in Ireland :mad:

Long story short I am disappointed with the salary on offer, I had given clear indications of the type of range I would have been looking for before I started talks with them and this offer has been made. :confused:

It is annoying as I do not want to make a decision on teh offer based only on the money. It is a great, unbelievable opportunity to branch our from work I am doing in my current job, possibly wold not get this opportunity in Ireland, but saying that I would like a monthly amount of money that justified me moving away from friends and family

• Advertisement

Apologies for spelling mistakes and bd grammer in above post, a little bit angry and possibly coming through onto keyboard!

I received an email from the company this morning with 2 mock payslips attached to give me an indication of net take home (Regeling option has not been discussed with them yet)

One payslip showe what my net would be if I went with the health insurance option via employer. The other payslip had no deductions for health insurance and assumed I look after it myself.

Firstly I was diappointed in the amount of money I lost to deductions and tax. The payslip that had the health insurance via employer on it makes me worse off than i am in Ireland :mad:

Long story short I am disappointed with the salary on offer, I had given clear indications of the type of range I would have been looking for before I started talks with them and this offer has been made. :confused:

It is annoying as I do not want to make a decision on teh offer based only on the money. It is a great, unbelievable opportunity to branch our from work I am doing in my current job, possibly wold not get this opportunity in Ireland, but saying that I would like a monthly amount of money that justified me moving away from friends and family

I know .. I see my payslip some months and i'm like 'ARRGGHH!!' :)

1. You get paid over 13 months here, not 12 (one month you'll get two months pay)
    2. You won't need a car to get around
    3. You have alot of deductables, Ireland taxes afterward, the Netherlands taxes at source, so when you do your taxes each year you'll get money back (plus the interest)
    4. Health insurance is roughly 1200 euros / year, expensive compared to Ireland but the care is excellent, its illegal not to have health insurance when working, perhaps they are subsidising it ?

You'll definitely get more 'net' in Ireland but you'll find the money disappearing out of your pocket much more quickly.

IMO, if your on 30k a year with the 30% Ruling then your better off than alot of the Dutchies in Arnhem.

Its a different system and hard to compare really :/

I know .. I see my payslip some months and i'm like 'ARRGGHH!!' :)

1. You get paid over 13 months here, not 12 (one month you'll get two months pay)
    2. You won't need a car to get around
    3. You have alot of deductables, Ireland taxes afterward, the Netherlands taxes at source, so when you do your taxes each year you'll get money back (plus the interest)
    4. Health insurance is roughly 1200 euros / year, expensive compared to Ireland but the care is excellent, its illegal not to have health insurance when working, perhaps they are subsidising it ?

You'll definitely get more 'net' in Ireland but you'll find the money disappearing out of your pocket much more quickly.

IMO, if your on 30k a year with the 30% Ruling then your better off than alot of the Dutchies in Arnhem.

Its a different system and hard to compare really :/

Hiya
    Still considering the offer made
    Everyone seems to be telling me that I can claim back more in Holland, however you can do this in Ireland, all that I can make out that I would be claiming back on would be rent relief possibly and whatever medical bills (if any) that I would have

They have told me also that it is planned that I would be sent to Concord, San Fran for the first 3 months for training and should it be decided that more training would be beneficial I would remain for a further 3 months (so possibility of 6months in total)

I am due to speak with the HR Manager tomorrow but I would presume that I wold still benefit from a relocation package even though I would not be moving to Arnhem right away (obviously due to US training)
    I was reading literature that they gave em and it states that the relocation package offered is 12% of annual salary, this works out as nice little lump sum for me so I am really hoping that they keep to that ... As far as I know it is not taxable

I was speaking with my potential manager, I wanted to know will they agree to the Regeling rule, she was saying that they should not have an issue with it (will have to speak with HR to confirm), however she said that there is very little chance that they will negotiate higher on my monthly salary should I benefit from Regeling ....worth a shot anyway shur :p

Hiya
    Everyone seems to be telling me that I can claim back more in Holland, however you can do this in Ireland, all that I can make out that I would be claiming back on would be rent relief possibly and whatever medical bills (if any) that I would have

They have told me also that it is planned that I would be sent to Concord, San Fran for the first 3 months for training and should it be decided that more training would be beneficial I would remain for a further 3 months (so possibility of 6months in total)

I am due to speak with the HR Manager tomorrow but I would presume that I wold still benefit from a relocation package even though I would not be moving to Arnhem right away (obviously due to US training)
    I was reading literature that they gave em and it states that the relocation package offered is 12% of annual salary, this works out as nice little lump sum for me so I am really hoping that they keep to that ... As far as I know it is not taxable

I was speaking with my potential manager, I wanted to know will they agree to the Regeling rule, she was saying that they should not have an issue with it (will have to speak with HR to confirm), however she said that there is very little chance that they will negotiate higher on my monthly salary should I benefit from Regeling ....worth a shot anyway shur :p

The 12% of your Annual Salary is tax free as long as you spend it on Relocation and keep receipts, for Furniture, movers, appliances etc.

You'll get it up front, but when you do your return the next year you'll have to provide proof that you spent it on that otherwise you'll have to pay back roughly 48-52% if you didnt spend any of the money on Relocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Hiya
    Everyone seems to be telling me that I can claim back more in Holland, however you can do this in Ireland, all that I can make out that I would be claiming back on would be rent relief possibly and whatever medical bills (if any) that I would have ..........................

Hi babystrawberry,

Did ye go ahead with the move after all? If so hows its going for you?

I have an interview for a job on tuesday for Holland and wanted to see how your finding Everything? I'm not getting ahead of myself but doing a bit of background search if I'm lucky enough to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dobber82

Hi guys, I've just read through all your posts above and am picking up useful advise regarding banks, supermarkets and taxes etc.

I am wondering if anyone has any tips/advise on renting a minivan (or something similar) in Ireland and driving it to Amsterdam? There are ferries from the UK but I have called Hertz and Avis here and both said they don't rent for one ways to Europe. Has anyone found someone else or have a better suggestion for moving all of our stuff cost effectively?

Also, anyone have any tips on gettings an apartment in Amsterdam? My wife got a job with the University there (hence the move, and we are trying to get their help) BUT it appears finding accomodation is tricky there due to the government regulations and the fact that getting on a waiting list to get a government rent controlled apartment takes 5+ years!

Trying to figure out a million things right now so any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

dobber82 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've just read through all your posts above and am picking up useful advise regarding banks, supermarkets and taxes etc.

I am wondering if anyone has any tips/advise on renting a minivan (or something similar) in Ireland and driving it to Amsterdam? There are ferries from the UK but I have called Hertz and Avis here and both said they don't rent for one ways to Europe. Has anyone found someone else or have a better suggestion for moving all of our stuff cost effectively?

Also, anyone have any tips on gettings an apartment in Amsterdam? My wife got a job with the University there (hence the move, and we are trying to get their help) BUT it appears finding accomodation is tricky there due to the government regulations and the fact that getting on a waiting list to get a government rent controlled apartment takes 5+ years!

Trying to figure out a million things right now so any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

You can only go on the waiting list when your registered with the Gemeente (City Hall) also alot of those apartments are total dumps, you have to do a load of work to them (know a girl who got a former growhouse)

You'll find it cheaper to ship your stuff over with a freight company, you'd have to pay the extra fair for a van + 2 ferry fares, fuel, tolls and so on.

Apartments in Amsterdam, go through funda.nl.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dobber82

Thanks Keith,

Don't feel as bad about the price differentials that I've been reading about between the govt. regulated places and free market places if they are at least better quality.

After further research I think we'll take your advice on the freight option.

We do have a car here and thought about moving with it (but it would be far from all our stuff). It seems that having a car in Amsterdam is kind of like NY though... expensive to park and you don't use it all that much unless you're leaving Amsterdam. Guess its best to sell it here in Ireland?

Advertisement