Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound insulation in Semi D

Options
  • 17-11-2009 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi, im soundproofing the party wall between houses, im finding lots of information available but from talking to a couple of tradesmen its hard to get a system that works well.
    I dont mind losing 3-4 inches of the room space.

does anyone have any tips or products that worked well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This seems like a good starter-for-10. http://www.soundproofing101.com/

The real issue is the type of construction. If there are wooden floors, and the sound is vibrating through them, for instance, it is going to be tough to stop the noise. This is why there is no particular product that can be guaranteed to solve your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Will be interested to see how you get on, maybe you could post updates as you progress.
    Do you have wooden first floor or precast concrete? I think a lot of sound transfer through the wooden first floor, though if people know different would be interested to hear their view

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭barney150

Webbs, the first floor is timber floor boards with carpet. The neighbour are not particularly noisy, typical young family and im sure we are as bad. I can hear them talk and can hear the husband snore. So no problem with music etc.
    Ill be doing the work next week and ill let you know how i get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭shellyb73

Hi Barney150,

We recently completed the party wall in our bedroom and our daughters bedroom with a product I hope I can name it is called Phonewell, it has worked very well reducing the airborne noise quite substantially.
    Can I ask have you been up to your attic to inspect the brickwork up there? We had quite a few gaps in the wall which was acting as a carrier for the noise so check all that out first, also the floor joists should be checked to make sure they are finished properly, our real problem is impact noise, slamming doors etc so havent seen a big improvement with that noise.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to use and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

I've a problem with the neighbours TV which is coming through the outside wall which is made of cavity blocks / hollow blocks. It seems their TV is near this wall and the sound can travel right through the air space and thin concrete interspaces in the blocks and make its way into my house. I think it is called flanking noise transmission. A simple check is to put ear to walls... noise is much higher through external wall than party wall. Major job to try insulate against this type of noise. I can even hear their bedroom TV when I am downstairs ! Only solution is a detached house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

bibibobo wrote: »
    I've a problem with the neighbours TV which is coming through the outside wall which is made of cavity blocks / hollow blocks. It seems their TV is near this wall and the sound can travel right through the air space and thin concrete interspaces in the blocks and make its way into my house. I think it is called flanking noise transmission. A simple check is to put ear to walls... noise is much higher through external wall than party wall. Major job to try insulate against this type of noise. I can even hear their bedroom TV when I am downstairs ! Only solution is a detached house.

Can you put cavity wall insulation in? Would this make any difference? I may be asking a stupid question there, apologies if it is.

thanks for yout tips, ive settled on a 70mm metal stud at centres, filled with rockwool RW3 insulation, probably 60 or 75mm thick depending on availability. The stud will be sheeted with 2 layers of 12.5mm platerboard.

job to be done this week so ill let ye know how well it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Hope it goes well will be watching with interest

Make sure you seal all socket boxes airtight with mastic, from my limited knowledge any airgaps will ruin the general effect.

If you can, at the end, give us an idea of cost?

We have the same problem and it drives me insane at times....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭irelandhouse

what is the build up of the wall between the party walls?
    what noises ?, sound, banging etc ?
    is your wall drylined or plastered?

Thanks for your inputs. I completed the job on friday. Its early to say but so far it has eliminated the noises we were experiencing, we havent heard a thing from next door, usually you would hear the kids playing, crying, parents talking and snoring!. Ill give it a week to confirm for definite but im very happy with the end result.
    We lost 100mm from the rooms but you wouldn't miss the space.

As it turned out the the blockwork party wall was well pointed and the walls were drylined, so we built on a stud, (full details posted earlier). I think half the problem with the drylining is that it acts like a guitar and echos the sound. Also the blocks used aren't dense enough.

If anyone wants further info just pm me
    Barney150

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 cavan97

hi all,
    have same problem in my house in cavan (block house end of terrace 1 year old). complained to builder who did not want to know. complained to council who did not want to know. got solicitor letter to builder and architect who signed it off. under building regulations section e wall should be sufficient to block. architect tried to fob off that wall was good but only a slab and dab job had been done. threatened court and they carried out sound test (at their cost). sound test failed so they have to repair wall. am angry at delay at getting wall fixed but architects responsibility if party wall substandard. could end up in court but architect is definately liable as he was professional overseeing building.

Advertisement