Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcelona marathon 2010

Options
  • 17-11-2009 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭

Ok, suppose it's time to start a thread instead of posting new topics on main forum.
    114 Irish entries already according to the site, good going.

Official site:
    http://www.barcelonamarato.es/

Entry fee:
    €45 1 March 2009 - 20 December 2009
    €55 21 December 2009 - 31 January 2010
    €65 1 February 2010 - 21 February 2010

Flights:
    Aerlingus to Barcelona (short bus trip to city)
    Ryanair to Reus/Girona (both 1hr by rail)

Hotels:
    Anywhere in city centre is fine as metro will reach almost everywhere in about 20 mins from the start/finish/expo.
    http://www.ecaconsortium.net/conference/imgs/Map-Metro_Barcelona-xl.gif (Espanya is the stop for race/expo)

Course:
    http://www.barcelonamarato.es/recorrido09_i.htm
    Measured in KM with stops every 5km for water etc.
    First aid and sponges start from 7.5km

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Whoo hoo cant wait:D. Will deffo do some proper training for this one and not just tip along between marathons.
    Is travelling Saturday am and back monday am the usual timeframe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Whoo hoo cant wait:D. Will deffo do some proper training for this one and not just tip along between marathons.
    Is travelling Saturday am and back monday am the usual timeframe?

The only direct Barcelona Sat am flight (EI) is very early, would your sleeping pattern get thrown out by this?
    I'm thinking maybe 06:40 flight on the Friday to relax the rest of Friday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm flying out Friday and flying home on Sunday evening, I hope. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

It will be an early start Saturday for sure but i have the whole day to sit aroound on my well toned gluts doing nothing once I collect my things at the expo.;)
    Dont fancy getting home at 4am Sunday night. I wouldnt be able to walk after spending another 4 hours in the car after a flight directly after the marathon. So it will be Monday morning for me. If I lived in Dublin I think I would be tempted to go home Sunday night.
    So will just be forced to celebrate in Barcelona afterwards with everyone else :P

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Anyone know when registration opens for the Barcelona HALF marathon on 14th Feb? Can't get any details on web except for organised tours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

billgalway wrote: »
    I'm going Friday to Monday - am doing it with www.croi.ie, bringing my partner for the weekend too on the package. Fairly good value considering that you can fundraise and you know the money is going to charity

Bill I have lost count of the number of times you have mentioned fundraising for that charity. It's *not* acceptable and if you do it again I will ban you for shilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Too soon to look forward to this one for me, but training starts in a couple of weeks. I'm travelling Friday to Monday. Have booked the Aer Lingus flights (100 euro each), but still looking for a good hotel.

I've booked in here http://www.hotelsonix.com/en/hotel-onix-fira-barcelona

I've not actually booked my flights yet but the plan for me is to go Friday to Sunday. Haven't booked flights yet I should probably get onto that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Booked in to the Ac Vilimari in Barca for this and booked my flights too

Flying out Saturday morning at 6:40am ...early enough it has to be said but I'll cope!) and returning on the Monday night (give me time to recover from what will be my first marathon!)

I had to book somewhere very swanky, as it's the week after my wedding anniversary. Got a very good deal. Duplex suite in a 5*GL hotel, for €146/night/room, two miles from the start.

• Advertisement

Flights are 160 now for Friday to Sunday. :eek: How far are the other airports, the ones Ryanair fly into from the City?

Flights are 160 now for Friday to Sunday. :eek: How far are the other airports, the ones Ryanair fly into from the City?

Reus is around a 1 hour train ride. Not a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 CR7

Anyone know when registration opens for the Barcelona HALF marathon on 14th Feb? Can't get any details on web except for organised tours.

Hi Central Park
    Registration is open right up to Feb 8th, and its only E15 to race!

http://www.bcn.cat/mitjamarato/en/registration.html

I think this is a great opportunity to visit Barcelona. Im making my marathon(full) debut this year after a half and 10ks this year so a half early in the season looks like a great start. As its Valentines weekend I better bring the gf too.

Yes its great value. I have signed up and so have two of my friends so it should be a good weekend! Best of luck to you. A word of advice though, book your hotel soon as the main hotels are full!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

hi all..new visitor to boards here..i registered for barcelona in December but my name is not on the list of competitors.. has this happened to anyone else..have emailed the barcelona site but had no reply as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭depadz

flights now €65 return on aer lingus.

depadz wrote: »

Dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭depadz

any by the looks of it..
    all flights seem to be 3.99

any by the looks of it..
    all flights seem to be 3.99

Thanks depadz, although I had a job convincing my better half I had no other choice but to book the flights....

I'm in, at €70 return I couldn't refuse.

Hi to all doing Barcelona. Just wondering what weekly mileage everyone’s doing these days….. as this is my first marathon I’m curious to see how I’m doing in comparison to others!!

Last week I did about 35 miles and this week is a “rest” week and then next week I’ll be up at around the 35-40 miles … how does that compare to everyone else?

Cheers!

• Advertisement

The Rook wrote: »
    Hi to all doing Barcelona. Just wondering what weekly mileage everyone’s doing these days….. as this is my first marathon I’m curious to see how I’m doing in comparison to others!!

Last week I did about 35 miles and this week is a “rest” week and then next week I’ll be up at around the 35-40 miles … how does that compare to everyone else?

Cheers!

Only decided I was going to take part last week, did about 30m in the 7/8 days up to the weekend there.
    There are almost seven weeks left so am aiming to go 11-13(both this week)-15-13-16-13-18.

Most people on here that are aiming at a time (sub3-4hrs)are at 18-20 miles long run and about 40-45mpw it seems.

Did my first 20 on Sunday, and currently hitting around 48-52 mpw. Sounds like you're doing fine The_Rook. How long is your long run, and what kind of time are you targetting?

Now that I've hit the 20s, I'm getting excited.
    1 Month, 19 Days, 10 Hours, 42 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Rock I did my first marathon in October in Chicago and was doing similar milage to u at this stage of my training.. Was works for me is to run every second day for example 5 rest 9 rest 10 rest 13 and so on..make sure with about 2 weeks to go u start tapering ur training.. Im behind in my training for Barcelona mostly to do with the poxy snow but will make it up in next couple of weeks ...

Kursty what time u hoping to do...am impressed with ur current milage

How long is your long run, and what kind of time are you targetting?

I'm planning on two or three long runs of about 2:45 each run (doing it by time rather than by distance). In these runs I should cover about 28k each one.

As it's my first marathon I'm not too worried about time but woudl like to complete it in less than 4:15ish ...

liamo123 wrote: »
    Krusty what time u hoping to do...
    Well, I'm hoping to knock somewhere between 50 seconds and 5mins 50 seconds off of my existing time, which would see me finishing some time around 11:25 local time. :)

You have GOT to be kidding me, I held off for so long and then as soon as I book them, a week later they go down. FFS! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

cant wait to hear about this marathon, i hope to do it the following year as barca is my fav city in the world - a truly amazing place.

if you get time after check out parc guell.

if anyone wants a nice 4 star hotel (remember a 4star there is like a 3 star hear) that is very central - 2 mins walk to placa de catalyuna and las ramblas i would highly acta atrium palace.

enough non running talk - best of luck to you all

Cool. Any other visiting tips. please pass 'em on.
    5 Weeks today!

This time 5 weeks we'll all be either finished or just finishing up. Starts at 8:30 am their time doesn't it? :eek:

• Advertisement

This day two weeks the lesser mortals amongst us will be finished the Barcelona Half Marathon! Are there many Irish doing it and where do you recommend for sightseeing afterwards?

Advertisement