Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcelona marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Tick, tock, tick,...
    Four weeks to go.

When I read this it felt like my stomach went through a roller coaster ...... how is it possible that nerves are setting in already?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The Rook wrote: »
    When I read this it felt like my stomach went through a roller coaster ...... how is it possible that nerves are setting in already?!!
    Still plenty of running between now and the 7th. Is it your first marathon, or are you just nervous about this one in particular?

Yep, this is my first one, I'm sure it'll be fine but still the stomach flips! (Having said that I still get nervous before 10k runs and I've done loads of them too ....maybe it's performance anxiety!!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

No flights to reus that week or else they are boooked out. some spaces left for Girona. MIght hang on til after Seville on sunday and see how the body feels. Im sure they wont go up any further by then.
    God I cant believe I am so thick!:mad:
    Are ye all getting ready for tapering now , those of you who have gone about this the correct way?:D

Girona is €110 return with Ryanair (Friday-> Monday) which isn't half bad. Travelling from Gerona to Barcelona. Train seems to be the best option.

• Advertisement

Thats it. Im on my way. What have I let myself in for.:D
    Rook , you dont have to worry about the sounds of your knees knocking , mine will be joining yours. I feel like this is my first one all over again.;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

3 weeks. :eek:

Woot! did my last very long run today! It's all down-hill from here on in. :)

Did my 3 hour 30 k run yesterday, it's the longest I'll be doing. Was slightly tempted to go the extra 12 so i could say I did a marathon, but decided that would be a little stupid !!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 eoinken

The Rook wrote: »
    Did my 3 hour 30 k run yesterday, it's the longest I'll be doing. Was slightly tempted to go the extra 12 so i could say I did a marathon, but decided that would be a little stupid !!

Groan. Only managed a 2 hr or so 13 miler at the weekend so looks like water breaks every 5 K. Just looked at the route again. Looks like a lot of long long straight avenues. Are these as daunting as they look.

Also can anyone vouch for the gobbling cans of ambrosia rice the night before big run. Will try this weekend but now desperately looking for any minute last tips!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

hi all...hope all the hard training is coming to an end!!! just wondering does anyone know what energy drink there giving out at Barcelona.. Cant seem to find answer on website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 roversrunner

liamo123 wrote: »
    hi all...hope all the hard training is coming to an end!!! just wondering does anyone know what energy drink there giving out at Barcelona.. Cant seem to find answer on website

Powerade in cups, water in 330ml bottles.

Powerade in cups, water in 330ml bottles.
    The bottles of water was the real clincher for me. Powerade are one of the official sponsors, so it's a good idea to try a bottle on one of your remaining long runs over the next weekend or two.

Pacers are: 2h50m, 3h00m, 3h15m, 3h30m, 4h00m and 4h30m.

Other interesting facts:
    There are 260 Irish runners registered, of which:
    186 are male / 74 are women
    18 runners are aiming for sub-3.
    65 runners are aiming for 3-3:30
    113 runners are aiming for 3:30-4
    64 runners are aiming for 4+
    2 women are aiming for sub3.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cphowlin

The bottles of water was the real clincher for me. Powerade are one of the official sponsors, so it's a good idea to try a bottle on one of your remaining long runs over the next weekend or two.

Not a fan of powerade. Will bring a few bottle of lucozade sport with me i think then just convience the OH to be at certain spots on the course.

Noticed the total running is about 11500 which is 2000 more than last year according to their stats page.

tks lads... powerade is good with me... they gave out lucozade sport in dublin and i found it too sweet and heavy on the stomach... I will be carbed up to the last with hi5 sachets before the marathon anyway so wii mostly stick with water..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

. I will be carbed up to the last with hi5 sachets before the marathon anyway so wii mostly stick with water..

With the heat in barca its not something i would chance. Might work for you but it wouldnt work for me.

With the heat in barca its not something i would chance. Might work for you but it wouldnt work for me.

I'm going with water and using Power Bar gels to get me through ... I'm pretty sure I'm going to win it!

With the heat in barca its not something i would chance.
    Temperature should be 10-14'C. Colder than DCM '09!

they gave out lucozade sport in dublin and i found it too sweet and heavy on the stomach... I will be carbed up to the last with hi5 sachets before the marathon anyway so wii mostly stick with water..
    It was Club Energise, which is pretty horribly sweet. You would take Hi5 gels before the marathon? Why not just eat food?!

• Advertisement

It was Club Energise, which is pretty horribly sweet. You would take Hi5 gels before the marathon? Why not just eat food?!

They recommend on the back of the gels to take one before the race. I tried that for the first time before the Dingle half - never, ever again. I think that was the reason I struggled in parts in Dingle.

I'll most likely just stick with water in Barcelona. I'd usually just take a sip or two of sports drink in marathons but I can easily cope without it.

Can't believe it's crept up so quickly now. :eek:

Other interesting facts:
    In 2009, there were 106 Irish runners.
    Only one Irish person achieves Sub-3: Claire McCarthy, in an impressive: 2:55:39, in 255th place.

ur right crusty it was club energise in dublin... jez how could i forget it was horrible..apologies to the lucozade corporation!!! when i wrote earlier about hi5 sachets i was refering to carb sachets that u mix with water.. i swear by them.. i drink loads of these for about 3 days before marathon. During marathon i will be using Powerbar (caffeinated green apple) gels.. 1 every 6miles works for me

Fair play to ya Liamo. Ya must have stomach of Iron!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 roversrunner

Don't forget the suncream lads...........

barcaa.jpg

Don't forget the suncream lads...........

barcaa.jpg
    You mean we get to run a marathon and get a sun-tan? Woot!
    10'-18'C is ideal running weather (the same as Dublin City marathon in October).
    It just means we won't get too cold waiting at the start line.

It's all about positive mental attitude!

Oh BLiss. It was 5 degrees in Seville and my hands were so numb I could hardly open my gels. This will be so balmy.:D
    Getting excited now. Not sure what sort of traning I should be doing. ANy advice welcome.

Oh BLiss. It was 5 degrees in Seville and my hands were so numb I could hardly open my gels. This will be so balmy.:D
    How did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Are Barca or Espanol playing at home the marathon weekend? A marathon and a match would be a very pleasant way to spend a weekend :D

• Advertisement

Are Barca or Espanol playing at home the marathon weekend? A marathon and a match would be a very pleasant way to spend a weekend :D

Unsurprisingly, thats the first thing I checked(before I even paid my marathon reg). Sadly Barcelona are away to Almeria on the Saturday and Espanyol are playing Villareal on the Sunday. I'm going home on the Sunday so can't go to that. :(

Advertisement