Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcelona marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭depadz

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

depadz wrote: »

This is probably my fault. I think I'm jinxed. Sorry folks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

The forecast for Seville a couple of weeks ago was 13 degrees. Lovely...and it was ...at 3pm but at the start of the marathon it was 4/5 degrees. So bear that in mind when temperatures of 12 are given for barcelona too. It was nice for running but if you wear gloves/hat/longershorts/in the colder weather , it might be worth bringing them along as you will likely be waiting the start from 8am.

My garmin died last night and I am very worried now as I dont trust myself on pacing since I got used to it. I need to stay conservative until I see how my ould bod copes with two marathons close together , and dont want to risk a long walk back to the finish line.
    The screen has frozen so I pressed the buttons. It went blank and has stayed like that. All ideas and suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

trot i did Chicago in mid October and Dublin a couple of weeks later...i started at same pace in both but after 14miles in dublin i was in bits..I got my second wind at about 19 and got home comfortably.. I was advised to bring 2 Nurofen Plus with me..Altough i wasnt happy about taking them i took them at about mile 16..they really worked for me and helped me get over the dreaded wall.. my advise to u is even if ur feeling great at the start take it easier than usual for the first half and then pick it up if ur able...

I guess I need to get my head around not having the garmin. If I work out pace bands I might be able to work out how fast/slow I am going and whether to pull back or speed up. I could dig out my old Polar and just work on heart rate effort. If I stay under 80% , that should see me home. Thanks Liamo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

dont sell urself short trot either... u might run faster in barcelona..i did chicago in 327 and dublin in 325

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Personally, I wouldn't take anything during a marathon that you haven't taken previously on a long run. It's the wrong time to be experimenting!

If the predicted weather keeps up, we'll all have problems that even a handful of Neurofen won't fix!

My garmin died last night and I am very worried now as I dont trust myself on pacing since I got used to it. I need to stay conservative until I see how my ould bod copes with two marathons close together , and dont want to risk a long walk back to the finish line.
    The screen has frozen so I pressed the buttons. It went blank and has stayed like that. All ideas and suggestions welcome.
    What kind of Garmin do you have? Can you borrow one from someone else for the weekend of the race?

Krusty, I think that might be the best option though I dont know many runners in my area and none that I know well enough to borrow one. Think I will make up a pace band and see if I can manage to use that and a watch. If I took some amphetamines or speed , and not neurofen , perhaps I could run with you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Bib numbers now up for Sunday.
    Latest weather forecast seems more believable, pretty much same as last year only for a slight wind from north east, at the back for the last 5 miles.

Not long now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

According to the Barcelona Marathon website, the race begins in 6 days 14 hrs xxxxx.
    Would that be midnight on Sunday???

eliwallach wrote: »
    According to the Barcelona Marathon website, the race begins in 6 days 14 hrs xxxxx.
    Would that be midnight on Sunday???
    Didn't you get the e-mail?! They switched it to a midnight torch-lit run.
    Also they wont' be closing the roads. It'll be fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Id love to be going with you guys. I can feel the excitment starting to build. How big is barcelona, is it a big field. Ive gotta do a big marathon this year if i can. Dublin is the biggest ive done:(

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cphowlin

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Id love to be going with you guys. I can feel the excitment starting to build. How big is barcelona, is it a big field. Ive gotta do a big marathon this year if i can. Dublin is the biggest ive done:(

its about the same size as dublin, 12071 people signed up according to the site...

I wish the weather forecast would stop jumping around and stay where it is... or maybe i should just stop looking it up every hour...

Of the few I have done ( 5 ) I have to say this size field is nicer than huge marathons. There are enough runners and spectators/supporters to have a super atmosphere and support but without all the overcrowding and congestion that often goes with the bigger ones.
    I confess that www.marathonguide.com is my holiday brochure of choice;). Find the time period you want and the world and its medals await you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

cphowlin wrote: »
    its about the same size as dublin, 12071 people signed up according to the site...

I wish the weather forecast would stop jumping around and stay where it is... or maybe i should just stop looking it up every hour...
    Kinda surprised at that. I thought it would have been a lot more than that but thats a nice size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Busy week lined up so in case I forget later in the week a huge round of good wishes to you all!

And KC take it handy, whatever time you run is my new target so go easy on an old man.... :)

Busy week lined up so in case I forget later in the week a huge round of good wishes to you all!

And KC take it handy, whatever time you run is my new target so go easy on an old man.... :)
    With 28km/hour head-winds for the first half of the race, your next target may not even get you to Boston. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

With 28km/hour head-winds for the first half of the race, your next target may not even get you to Boston. :)

Ooo I missed that. That's.... challenging :)

Bib numbers have been emailed out 7232. This being sick during the taper malarky 'aint bad I haven't had time to freak out. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Just been diagnosed by my GP as having shingles .... 5 days ahead of my first marathon ...well THAT'S not going to make it any easier !!:o

The Rook wrote: »
    Just been diagnosed by my GP as having shingles .... 5 days ahead of my first marathon ...well THAT'S not going to make it any easier !!:o

We'd better keep away from this thread. The Edinburgh thread last year was jinxed with injuries - this one jinked with viruses now. :eek:

Forecast not looking as bad today

Lookin good now, around 8-13 degrees from start to finish and only a slight breeze at best.
    I've about a half dozen different weather sites I view as I take an interest whenever I travel and all seem to have abandoned warnings of gales :)

I was just saying on my training log, that I've become obsessed with searching and finding positive weather forecasts. :)
    The weather definitely seems a lot more Irish now. So much for lounging on the beach with cocktails. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/weather/weather-forecast-barcelona.html
    Snow, with rain mixed in. Temps from -1 to 11.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/42
    Sunny Intervals, temps from 6 to 12

http://www.barcelona.com/weather_in_barcelona
    Light rain later in the day , temps from 8 to 11.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/SPXX0015?from=36hr_topnav_business
    Rainy - Temps from 4 to 9

http://www.weatherforecastmap.com/spain/barcelona/
    Heavy Rain with temps from 3 to 6

http://www.accuweather.com/world-forecast-15day.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&locCode=EUR|ES|SP008|BARCELONA&metric=1
    Cloudy, rain later in the day Temps from 0 to 12

Hard to know what to believe even at this late stage!! I think it’s safe to say that temps won’t reach higher than 15 anyway which would be nice. Overall the reports seem to be pointing towards cloudy in the morning, which would be nice too!

If anyone sees a guy wearing a blue singlet with an Irish flag and “El Carbo” written underneath it and blue shorts drop by and say “Hi” , if it’s before or after the race I’ll chat, if it’s during the race I’ll get some oxygen and try reply !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 eoinken

We'd better keep away from this thread. The Edinburgh thread last year was jinxed with injuries - this one jinked with viruses now. :eek:

I now feel a little better about not training for last two weeks due to torn calf. Best of luck to the 260 other registered Irish people who are running.

Most forcasts have light winds and about 12 degrees at this stage so that should be how it goes.
    Looks as if it will snow overnight on Sunday/Monday, have an early enough flight Monday so hope it doesn't cause havoc.

Word to the wise, avoid the breakfast run if ye are planning on fast times as it's basically an uphill jaunt to the olympic stadium(which is a kip now, in serious disrepair).

Best of luck to everyone on Sunday...

I fly out very early tomorrow so will try get on here tomorrow and let ya know how the weather is looking for those of you not coming out till later...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck to all of you heading to Barcelona. Have a great weekend running & recovering/celebrating :)

Advertisement