Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcelona marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Im doing Blackpool, Limerick, Edinburgh and cork. Coming up to a busy period but i reckon ill be ok, i hope:D
    If your down in Longford hot to trot ill make sure to say hello:D

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Meant to ask...while I didn't really want one at the time, I now kind of would like to get a zip up running jacket with the Barcelona Marathon branding on it ....I've had a quick look on the website but can't see anything ....anyone know where I might be able to get one?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

The Rook wrote: »
    Meant to ask...while I didn't really want one at the time, I now kind of would like to get a zip up running jacket with the Barcelona Marathon branding on it ....I've had a quick look on the website but can't see anything ....anyone know where I might be able to get one?!!

The Rook, I'd say go straight to Mizuno, as everything you official you could get at the expo was made by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cphowlin

Hey all,

thought you might be interested in this... seems we were pretty lucky with the weather. Heres a pic i took from my hotel room on monday afternoon of Gran Via. It was like this most of the day and the winds were really kicking up!

Congrats all on finishing and some very impressive times!!

Krusty was that you in the George Payne at the table? I was the guy sitting at the high table having trouble with the stairs...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hey yeah, that was myself and the misses! I knew I should have taken the Boards AC singlet out of the marathon bag, and draped it over a chair (but the stink of it was something awful!).

The pub ended up being a bit of a disaster as it was empty, and the stairs was up a flight of stairs.. Ouch! When we arrived back later, the pub was jammed, but there wasn't an Irish person (or obvious marathon runner in sight). How did you get on in the end? Did you hit your target?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Hey yeah, that was myself and the misses! I knew I should have taken the Boards AC singlet out of the marathon bag, and draped it over a chair (but the stink of it was something awful!).

The pub ended up being a bit of a disaster as it was empty, and the stairs was up a flight of stairs.. Ouch! When we arrived back later, the pub was jammed, but there wasn't an Irish person (or obvious marathon runner in sight). How did you get on in the end? Did you hit your target?

You get some rest before starting back in to training for Connemara...

Clum wrote: »
    You get some rest before starting back in to training for Connemara...
    Lol. Toilets... I meant toilets...

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cphowlin

I recognised your nike top when you were leaving, that nike gear is like an unofficial boards uniform!!

Had a good day myself set out to run a 3:40 and come home exactly on time. I went out too fast and faded over the last 4 miles but still came in on time so cant complain.

Congrats on the sub 3 :) would have bought ya a pint if i had of know

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

well done to all who participated in barca...it was a brillant occasion..organisation was unreal and weather great.. did in 321( with the help of 2 nurofen plus at 35k!!)..broke my pb by 5mins so delighted.. now my next challenge is to quit my 20 a day habbit and concentrate on berlin in september..

George Payne was great..it was well full by 9..pity we didnt get to meet..i was the fool sitting beside the cigarette machine smoking 2 excess .. altough i got to shake hands with the first irish lad home..2.39 unreal

once again well done 2 all

ps..was talking to friends of Colin (RIP) in george payne..app 14 came over and ran in his memory..i believe that when the last one fininshed (app 5hrs) there was a presentation to his family on the podium by the organisating committee..very nice gesture

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

Well done to all who completed the Barcelona marathon, some change in the weather between Sunday & Monday.
    Made it to the George Payne about 4 ish in the afternoon fairly dead the pub did see some runners sitting in groups not sure who was who or which were "Boards-ies". I was sitting also at a high table with a my better half and a big smile :). Came home in 3.45 a PB by miles (excuse the pun) knocked nearly 45 minutes of my previous best time:eek:. Great to break the 4 hour mark after several attempts. Awesome feeling which will hit home in a few days on what I achieved.
    Well done to all who meet their targets and those who lined up on the start line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

45 mins knocked off is phenomenal. Was it just more and better training do you think that made the difference?I am hoping - determined to break the 4 hours this year but every marthon I do I run only about 10 seconds per mile faster than the previous. Think I am too scared to actually up the pace sufficiently to do it now rather than 6 months down the line.
    But an extra 15 mins on top! Wow. Did your training runs give you an idea that you were on for that sort of blistering time?

Fab running you guys. Awesome. Cant believe the weather on the Monday. For once, leaving early was a good idea methinks.
    Im so proud of us all , even though I havent got to meet more than 2 of you. WIll have to sign up again for another to meet more boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

45 mins knocked off is phenomenal. Was it just more and better training do you think that made the difference?I am hoping - determined to break the 4 hours this year but every marthon I do I run only about 10 seconds per mile faster than the previous. Think I am too scared to actually up the pace sufficiently to do it now rather than 6 months down the line.
    But an extra 15 mins on top! Wow. Did your training runs give you an idea that you were on for that sort of blistering time?

Fab running you guys. Awesome. Cant believe the weather on the Monday. For once, leaving early was a good idea methinks.
    Im so proud of us all , even though I havent got to meet more than 2 of you. WIll have to sign up again for another to meet more boardsies.

No training was same intensity and mileage as previous marathons for me.
    The main difference was really all in my head and overcoming the demons of doubt. Everything just clicked on the day for me, my training runs had always indicated that I was capable physically of a sub 4 hours but could never transfer this onto race day previously either with nerves or not strong enough mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

krusty excellent report on ur marathon experience..enjoyed reading it.. well done on ur great time

I cannot believe the snow!!! Lucky or what that we got it all done and dusted on Sunday. Phew.

Photos are up. <groan!>

HOw do you access them? I have clicked on my Video link on the results page but I havent seen anywhereto click to get photos? Is there a link?

How's is it that you feel like you are sprinting to the finish but when you look back on the video you look like an ould dol hobbling slowly to the finish.:rolleyes:

I know that feeling! I thought time had slowed down, and they were playing the music of Chariots of Fire, while I crossed the finish line in slow-motion. But no, I just hobbled, like a broken hobbit. If you search for yourself in the results, click on your name, then look at the bottom of the screen, below your splits you'll find them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I look very angry. :pac:

However, look I'm WINNING!!!

Picture2-3.png

Picture1-10.png

Photos are up. <groan!>

Bet it feels great to see you cross the finish line with that time on the clock. Brings it all back.

RQ you look as if you are playing an invisible nintendo or playstation with your thumbs up:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 forrest5000

I've a few photos over on my facebook page. Not sure who's who as we were in Barcelona on business and only got to shoot some of the marathon where it passed our hotel.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dublin/Action-Photography/139295559066?v=wall#!/album.php?aid=151543&id=139295559066&ref=mf
    John

I've a few photos over on my facebook page. Not sure who's who as we were in Barcelona on business and only got to shoot some of the marathon where it passed our hotel.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dublin/Action-Photography/139295559066?v=wall#!/album.php?aid=151543&id=139295559066&ref=mf
    John
    Some great photos, forrest5000, I particularly like the aerial photos and the leading pack shots. The sprinkling of people in the middle who 'look Irish' was very amusing too. :)

Some great photos, forrest5000, I particularly like the aerial photos and the leading pack shots. The sprinkling of people in the middle who 'look Irish' was very amusing too. :)
    the reaction we got to shouts of "go on ye good thing" would indicate most of them were Irish.
    the last few were taken down in the centre of town around the 40Km mark so people were pretty fecked at that stage and were going for 5hour plus times.
    John

the reaction we got to shouts of "go on ye good thing" would indicate most of them were Irish.
    Ah, the age-old litmus test. Irish prisoners of war would never have managed to get onto the bus in The Great Escape. A quick 'go on ye good thing' and the game would be up.

I've long been a big fan of your photo work John (from the IMRA photos), but it's great to get a look at some of your other work on your Facebook profile!

Ah, the age-old litmus test. Irish prisoners of war would never have managed to get onto the bus in The Great Escape. A quick 'go on ye good thing' and the game would be up.

I've long been a big fan of your photo work John (from the IMRA photos), but it's great to get a look at some of your other work on your Facebook profile!
    You can also find a section on my site http://www.actionphotography.ie/galleries.html
    I'm working on upgrading all the galleries at the moment to a larger size.
    I'll be at the Run-a-muck tomorrow taking photos, if you are there remember to smile:)

Guy in photo 16 is definitely Irish, I was stood with him at the start line, I zoomed ahead but no doubt he overtook when I took to walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Just got an email off a photographer who had pictures from Barcelona. So here are his Barcelona marathon photos on RacePix.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭aero2k

But no, I just hobbled, like a broken hobbit.
    Ah, but on the inside, I bet you were just gliding along.
    I put on my best big smile all the way down the 250m finishing straight in the kilomathon, yet strangely at least 6 pics show me with a death grimace. And they say the camera never lies...

YOur website is fab. Awesome photos. Well done.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 eoinken

Just in case you are tagging number 22 is Mike O'Rourke from Galway and 23 is his brother Colin O'Rourke

Advertisement