Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carry-on carry on - RyanAir and the CompuTrekker Plus AW - a cautionary tale

• 17-11-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi,

This is not an anti-RyanAir rant but a word of caution..

I've been thinking of upgrading my camera bag from a LowePro CompuDayPack (which has served my very well but lacks enough space for my ever growing collection of camera gear). I had all but decided to go for the Lowepro CompuTrekker Plus AW until..

..last week on my way to Rome with RyanAir. As we boarded the plane roughly 90% of all passengers had to prove that their hand luggage complied by inserting it into one of RyanAir's cage type contraptions that have been around for years but seldom used. If it fit, on you go, if not - to the luggage hold. I managed to beat my bag (of clothes - not camera gear) into the cage and on I went. This however wouldn't be a great approach for a bag full of expensive camera gear. It got me thinking, if I had a bag full of camera gear that wouldn't fit would I have:

a) Checked my bag in and hoped for the best
    b) Left my wife and child board the plane without me and hope to find an alternative flight with another airline
    c) Emptied my gear into a plastic bag, hoped that now complied and abandoned my camera bag
    d) Solicited the help of some fellow passengers and availed of some their free space
    e) Hurtled my bag into the nearest bin vowing to only use disposable cameras from then on

Not great options. The same happened on the way back so it seems to be the new policy. A bit long winded but hopefully might help someone avoid having to make the above decision..

p.s. Does anyone have a CompuTrekker Plus AW and if so, have they ever tried to fit it into one of these cage thingys?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

On that note - I flew to Paris with air france a while back. Was one of those smaller planes (don't ask me what it was), and even though my hand luggage complied with the sizes, I was still asked to put it in the hold as the overhead lockers were a bit small I think. I was able to take the cameras out (I was travelling light enough with them anyway) and I'm sure if I hadn't I'd have been able to push it. Never saw that happen before though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I will be very interested to hear about Ryanair and the CompuTrekker Plus AW as I have one and I will be travelling with them to Norway next year and I had planned on bringing the CompuTrekker for the camera and accessories.

I have never had a problem bringing it on Air France, Aer Lingus, British Midland, BA, Virgin Atlantic, United but I would be worried about our lovely friends in Ryanair as they seem to have "custom" bag sizes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I never fly Ryanair to be honest. I find that sometimes the cost of travel too and from some of the remote airports they drop you off at make it more expensive than other airlines. Even if Aerlingus is proving a small bit more expensive, I'll travel them just for comfort reasons.

Anyway, I would be very interested to hear more about this "bag" thing. Ryanair are making it harder and harder to justify flying with them as far as I'm concerned. Next thing you know you'll have to pay for a stow away tray, a cushion on your seat, a seat belt, and for the air stewardess to speak to you. :D

Obviously all in my opinion...

Anyone fly with Norwegian Airlines? What are they like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

We flew to Funchal with Easy-Jet recently and they have the same strict policies and the same stingey rep as Ryanair. (maybe not as souless, but not far off TBH). I brought a CompuRover AW as I wanted to bring a laptop with me and had one of those cold realisation sweats run through me as I saw the check-in robot measure lots of hand-baggage before OK-ing it to go on with the passenger. When we got to the top of the Q there was no problem whatsoever. Didn't give my bag a second look. I was thiking if I was nabbed (there was no way it was fitting in the cage) I could empty the contents of the top part out and the lower section might just fit in.
    The only thing I could think was that if I was carrying it on my back and carrying it in such a way as to give the impression it wasn't heavy then it may be they thought so too. And it was pretty much the same on the way back. I noticed Aer LIngus now also have those measuring cages, but seem to be a little more lax about it. For the moment.
    Not sure what the message is there. Maybe stick it on your back and posture like its weighs only a couple of kilos.

The really annoying thing about this restriction is the fact that they are not only dictating to you the weight of your bag, but the exact dimensions. If your hand baggage takes up the same volume as the cage but is a different shape (i.e longer/wider) then its a still a no-go.

I would wholeheartedly support the don't fly with ryanair - EVER ethos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

its all a bit hit and miss unfortunately, i believe staff at different airports are more zealous than at others - i was in Poland recently and decided to bring just a small(ish) camera and one small lens for fear of being in the position as posed above! departed from Shannon with no one checking the carry-on etc. and coming back was amazed to see mostly Polish people as far as i could tell, carrying the same size and bigger, what i had checked in the hold!! they even had their beer and sandwiches :). So really it's a bit of a lottery with the low frills crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

trooney wrote: »
    The only thing I could think was that if I was carrying it on my back and carrying it in such a way as to give the impression it wasn't heavy then it may be they thought so too. And it was pretty much the same on the way back. I noticed Aer LIngus now also have those measuring cages, but seem to be a little more lax about it. For the moment.
    Not sure what the message is there. Maybe stick it on your back and posture like its weighs only a couple of kilos.

I would wholeheartedly support the don't fly with ryanair - EVER ethos.

+1 to this

I have found if you are carrying a reasonably sized backpack and not showing the weight the gate staff usually don't worry you about it.
    I have never flown Ryan Air though. I have been on two flights where they where checking carry-ons at the gate on Aer Lingus, carrying a back pack almost jammed packed and they checked the people in front and the people behind, but didn't bother me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

The b@stards made me weigh my CompuRover II AW before. It was 13KG...3KG's over so it had to be checked with a D3, 16mm fisheye, 24-70 2.8, 14-24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 80-200 2.8 and laptop.
    I even tried putting on ALL the clothes in the bag and putting lenses in my pockets but it was still overweight. In the end I had to just take my laptop out and bring that on board. I was not happy that it was checked or had to pay the pleasure of €40 for it to be checked either.

As a rule, I simply don't fly Ryanair anymore. It's similar to getting on a bus rather than an plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

pete4130 wrote: »
    The b@stards made me weigh my CompuRover II AW before. It was 13KG...3KG's over so it had to be checked with a D3, 16mm fisheye, 24-70 2.8, 14-24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 80-200 2.8 and laptop.
    I even tried putting on ALL the clothes in the bag and putting lenses in my pockets but it was still overweight. In the end I had to just take my laptop out and bring that on board. I was not happy that it was checked or had to pay the pleasure of €40 for it to be checked either.

As a rule, I simply don't fly Ryanair anymore. It's similar to getting on a bus rather than an plane.

The bus isnt as bad.

caseo.jpg

We have one of these ^^ which is the correct size HxWxD. It's not been used that much but now it will be fitted out to fit my few bits n bobs. Some home made foam cut outs should do the trick. I am sure you can get them here for 70/130€ (got ours in China for €35 :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I've had my Computrekker Plus AW checked before, and fitted in perfectly. If I'd stuffed an extra hard drive or two in the front, I would have been in trouble though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

but you knew the limit was 10kg, you should have had a rough idea what all the equipment adds up to.
    I never have problems with ryanair, I always make sure not to pack over the weight limit. Ive only had a couple of delayed flights with them and it was maybe 20-30mins, but most of the time the experience is fine, especially when you get the tickets for dirt cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

These are the current dimensions from the Aer Lingus and Ryanair websites for hand baggage:
    Aer Lingus Dimensions (@ 23/10/09) The maximum dimensions for a cabin bag are 56cms x 45cms x 25cms (or 22in x 18in x 10in.)

Ryanair say: It should weigh no more than 10kg and not exceed the maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. Due to security restrictions - certain items cannot be carried in cabin baggage - click here for details. For the safety and convenience of all passengers, cabin baggage must fit underneath the seat or in the overhead compartment. We reserve the right to cancel your reservation without refund and to deny you boarding if you arrive at the boarding gate with more than one item of cabin baggage or if that item exceeds the maximum dimensions.

So, for example, the Press photographer's friend, the Peli 1510 which measures: External Dimensions L559mm x W351mm x H229mm is allowed on an Aer Lingus flight but on Ryanair. Having said that I know of lots of photographers who have travelled Ryanair with the case as hand baggage without problems.
    Be Prepared!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

If at all avoidable I wouldn't bother flying with Ryanair, they're horrendous and there is absolutely no way I would check anything expensive in with them.

****e staff, ****e service, ****e airline.

Rb wrote: »
    If at all avoidable I wouldn't bother flying with Ryanair, they're horrendous and there is absolutely no way I would check anything expensive in with them.

****e staff, ****e service, ****e airline.

I take it you got burnt then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

Hi,

p.s. Does anyone have a CompuTrekker Plus AW and if so, have they ever tried to fit it into one of these cage thingys?

yes and yes it fitted

but, full of gear and a laptop made it weigh 16kg
    (the limit is 10kg)

so i had to fill my coat pockets with lenses so when they weighed it, it would come in under weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

obviously nothing expensive should ever be checked in but i recently flew ryanair to glasgow for €16 in total which included a full checked bag as well as my computrekker+ aw on my back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭WedPhoto

i also have a computrekker+ aw...brought it with me in manny trips so far, and never had any problems...and a lot of the times it weighs around 15kg...i must have been lucky...truth be told i only flew cattle airline (aka ryanair) 2 times and i'm avoiding them like the plague

Chorcai wrote: »
    I take it you got burnt then
    Could say that. Their boarding staff having one rule for fellow Poles and another for others certainly didn't aid my previously diminished view of them.

Not to mention the absolute debacle orchastrated by RyanAir in Charles De Gaulle Airport, Christ I will never go back there again. Kip full of some of the most incompetent staff I've ever come across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Could say that. Their boarding staff having one rule for fellow Poles and another for others certainly didn't aid my previously diminished view of them.

Not to mention the absolute debacle orchastrated by RyanAir in Charles De Gaulle Airport, Christ I will never go back there again. Kip full of some of the most incompetent staff I've ever come across.

Really in what way? Any time I've flown Ryanair I've always found the check in/cabin crew verging on hostile to their fellow Poles. I do agree with you though, they are a horrible airline to fly and where possible we choose Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

just make sure your under the weight - like you may get out overloaded with camera gear - but remember you have to come back too :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I am also in the "Avoid Ryanair like the Plague" camp. Have had enough of their surly attitude etc. (I will not go on as it's off topic)

However it should be pointed out that those Cages have been around for a long time & the size restrictions are not down to the Airlines. The size restrictions for cabin baggage are from international civil air legislation (I think the body is ICAO) It's up to the airlines to enforce these regulations. Some of the bags I have seen people bringing on as Hand Luggage recently has been a joke. Way oversize & often two or three of them.

I think my Photography Backpack would fit in the cage, but with the gear & laptop in it I think it would normally be over the weight limit. I would be very reluctant to trust this as checked in luggage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PabD

Guys I don’t see what the problem is. :confused:

Ryanair have a weight and size restriction which is clearly noted when purchasing tickets.

I fly with Ryanair several times a year and have never had a single problem as I abide by the rules.

Measure the camera bag with all of your gear in it then weigh it. If the bag is over 10kg or larger than the allowed dimensions well then I recommend you do not risk it as I would not be happy putting my camera gear in hands of the baggage handlers. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Flying back and forth Bristol a lot, I've never seen them check the size in Shannon airport... I've seen them check the size occasionally in Bristol but only where the bag looks really oversized

I've never seen them checking the weight in either airport, maybe they do it if the bag looks really heavy, (though I didn't see a scale anywhere either) so I would recommend a small (i.e. within regulation size) possibly wheeled case which doesn't reveal the weight, or else a hard case and make sure you're not revealing how heavy it is (by struggling with the weight/whatever)

Ryanair are grand as long as you plan ahead properly and add about €50-€70 to any advertised price (still don't see how this is legal). But make one mistake and you find the price of your flight going up fast...
    So you have to pay to check bags into the hold, but they could argue that all airlines do this, they just hide the cost in the ticket price and make you pay whether you're checking them in or not.

I think the main problem I have is the restrictions they put in place. Aerlingus, as an example, have a 20kg allowance on checked in baggage and 10kg in hand luggage (let's ignore the fact that I've never seen them strictly enforce this!). They then charge €9 per kilo over this. Ryanair is 15kg checked in, and 10 in cabin. They then charge an extortionate €20 per kilo over after the above.

I'd rather pay the few euro extra for the extra 5 kilo allowance, the comfort that you won't be raped TOO badly for going over, and at least 90% of the time arrive at an airport that's not 100 miles from my final destination.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Let's try to keep the discussion generally about Camera Gear as Luggage rather than discussing all aspects of various airlines (that can be discussed on the OOF Sticky if you like) A bit of context is fine as long as the main point is Photography related.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

Horrible airline to fly with. Between awful service, hidden charges and strict baggage allowance, i’m surprised their still doing so well. I try to avoid them as much as possible but sometimes it’s hard to.

I have the CompuTrekker Plus AW and flew with Aer Lingus with 1 extra piece of luggage and didn't have any problems at all (maybe because it was a long haul flight?).

So are we saying that the bag itself should be ok, just don't have it weighing more than 10kg?

CabanSail wrote: »
    Let's try to keep the discussion generally about Camera Gear as Luggage rather than discussing all aspects of various airlines (that can be discussed on the OOF Sticky if you like) A bit of context is fine as long as the main point is Photography related.

Thanks.

If you think about it, the point I'm making follows on from the weight of photography equipment putting extra weight in your baggage. No other reason to really discuss weight restrictions and the potential costs they inflict. I've found since I took up photography I've NEVER been below 15 kilos. I'm weighing in at usually 17/18k on my checked in luggage and around 10k on my hand luggage. So regardless where the extra weight is, you endure the cost of whatever amount of kilos you go over the limit... unless I choose a different airline that is :pac:

but you knew the limit was 10kg, you should have had a rough idea what all the equipment adds up to.
    I never have problems with Ryanair, I always make sure not to pack over the weight limit. Ive only had a couple of delayed flights with them and it was maybe 20-30mins, but most of the time the experience is fine, especially when you get the tickets for dirt cheap.

The only reason they wanted to weigh my bag was because THEIR system for printing out your boarding pass was down the previous night and I argued about having to pay the €10 checking in fee as it was THEIR fault.
    As I was walking away I was called back in a very bitchy tone with smug grins on their faces....there are no excuses for that attitude for getting "one up" on a customer.
    I knew I was probably over the limit, as most other people with their carry on luggage.
    It's fine for you to say the rules are the rules and be up on a pedestal and say you've never had any problems with them...you'd be one of few people who have then.

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    Aerlingus, as an example, have a 20kg allowance on checked in baggage and 10kg in hand luggage .

I think Aer Lingus is 6kg carry on? I almost got caught for that last time I flew with them.

Edited to add - you guys do realise the weight restrictions are about fuel consumption as well as getting an extra few quid out of people? I have this vision of everyone here sneaking on 30 kg hand luggage and the plane not being able to take off :D

• Advertisement

sineadw wrote: »
    I think Aer Lingus is 6kg carry on? I almost got caught for that last time I flew with them.

10kg as per here: http://www.aerlingus.com/Services/email_paxnotices.htm

Ah right - was six when I flew with them last year...

The only reason they wanted to weigh my bag was because THEIR system for printing out your boarding pass was down the previous night and I argued about having to pay the €10 checking in fee as it was THEIR fault.
    As I was walking away I was called back in a very bitchy tone with smug grins on their faces....there are no excuses for that attitude for getting "one up" on a customer.
    I knew I was probably over the limit, as most other people with their carry on luggage.
    It's fine for you to say the rules are the rules and be up on a pedestal and say you've never had any problems with them...you'd be one of few people who have then.

I still dont see how its ryanairs fault for you packing too much gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

sineadw wrote: »
    Ah right - was six when I flew with them last year...

In all fairness, Sinead, I would've thought you looked at least 10. Maybe get away with nine in the right lighting :D

I still dont see how its Ryanair sfault for you packing too much gear

I'm not getting into a tit for tat arguement with you, but ff you took the time to read my post, maybe as much time as you take to read the Ryanair rules, you'd see from what you've just quoted me that I said it was their fault for their boarding pass not printing out and trying to charge me the €10.

I'm responsible for what and how I pack my bag. I'm saying in the situation I posted about, I was somewhat singled out because I argued about paying a fee I shouldn't have and the Ryanair employees seemed vindictive and spiteful towards me which is an example of their overall attitude as a company.
    That is why I choose not to fly with them anymore.
    If you are happy to fly with them continue to do so by all means and I wish you a happy flying experience with them in the future.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

+1 to disliking Ryanair.

Here is what I do... I wear a really big baggy snowboarders jacket and put anything extra in my jacket pocket. They can do nothing about your actual *weight*.

On the way to Malta I put a a netbook in one pocket and the cables in the other along with sambos and a mouse :)

DeV.

• Advertisement

I'm not getting into a tit for tat arguement with you, but ff you took the time to read my post, maybe as much time as you take to read the Ryanair rules, you'd see from what you've just quoted me that I said it was their fault for their boarding pass not printing out and trying to charge me the €10.

I'm responsible for what and how I pack my bag. I'm saying in the situation I posted about, I was somewhat singled out because I argued about paying a fee I shouldn't have and the Ryanair employees seemed vindictive and spiteful towards me which is an example of their overall attitude as a company.
    That is why I choose not to fly with them anymore.
    If you are happy to fly with them continue to do so by all means and I wish you a happy flying experience with them in the future.

its not tit for tat, Im just making that one point, its a simple rule they have.

I wonder if you could buy some cheap jacket and get the pockets customized to hold more? maybe a DIY job
    you could pair them with cargo combat pants, a lens in each pocket! Im not sure if they allow you to carry the camera around your neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

DeVore wrote: »
    Here is what I do... I wear a really big baggy snowboarders jacket and put anything extra in my jacket pocket. They can do nothing about your actual *weight*.
    DeV.

I want one of those jackets DeV. Would be useful.

Calina wrote: »
    I want one of those jackets DeV. Would be useful.

you could wear something like these, then have your own jacket over it. I know there are much cooler ones made but wasn't arsed to find them tbh :D

Photography-Waistcoat-SW050003-.jpg

product_image_1926.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Last time I was coming through Stanstead and the security check was ridiculous, I had to fit my storm case into a metal yoke that was smaller than the Ryanair and Aer Lingus cabin allowance size. I had to stand on the case to get it started and then she waved me on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Its a two edged sword really. I fly with Ryanair and so far I have had no problems. I have seen the most ignorant Polish staff let their own compatriots through with huge bags without batting an eyelid and giving someone else a load of hassle. Its a gamble some take with them I would'nt. Loads of pockets

Really in what way? Any time I've flown Ryanair I've always found the check in/cabin crew verging on hostile to their fellow Poles. I do agree with you though, they are a horrible airline to fly and where possible we choose Aer Lingus.
    Basically gf had handbag and carry-on bag, most airlines only allow "one" carry on bag however I've never seen a woman being pulled up over having her hangbag along with her official carry-on bag. Similarly I've never been hassled over having a backpack and a "messenger" bag with me.

Anyway, we were in the queue and a few Polish ladies were ahead of us, they had handbag, carry-on luggage and some duty free bags with them, two Polish Ryanair ladies opened the boarding gate and let the ladies ahead walk through, then stopped us and told the gf only one bag allowed and that she was to make her hangbag fit in the other bag, check it in at a cost of e30 or leave it behind.

It was one of those "wtf" moments, I've heard of their foreign staff showing favourtism elsewhere but it was pretty crappy to be subjected to it.

However, their staff as a whole have an attitude problem, a major attitude problem. Their service is absolutely piss poor in comparison to even Aer Lingus. They were an absolute pleasure to fly with last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I know Ryanair's site states different, but handy to know and even print out when you fly......

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/before/plan/cabin_baggage.jsp

All airline members of the International Air transport Association (IATA) have agreed to observe the following baggage regulations. You may carry onboard the articles listed below free of charge, over and above your free baggage allowance (subject to local country specific restrictions, if any):

* A lady’s handbag
    * An overcoat
    * An umbrella or walking stick
    * A laptop or notebook computer
    * A small camera
    * A reasonable amount of reading material for the flight
    * Infant’s food for consumption in flight and infant’s carrying basket
    * A pair of crutches and/or other prosthetic devices for the passenger’s use provided the passenger is dependent upon them

whyulittle wrote: »
    * A lady’s handbag

What about Man bags ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

whyulittle wrote: »
    I know Ryanair's site states different, but handy to know and even print out when you fly......

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/before/plan/cabin_baggage.jsp

All airline members of the International Air transport Association (IATA) have agreed to observe the following baggage regulations. You may carry onboard the articles listed below free of charge, over and above your free baggage allowance (subject to local country specific restrictions, if any):

* A lady’s handbag
    * An overcoat
    * An umbrella or walking stick
    * A laptop or notebook computer
    * A small camera
    * A reasonable amount of reading material for the flight
    * Infant’s food for consumption in flight and infant’s carrying basket
    * A pair of crutches and/or other prosthetic devices for the passenger’s use provided the passenger is dependent upon them

Ryan air aren't in the IATA so they don't have to observe these rules.
    You could always give your camera bag to a friend to hold while you check in.

Advertisement