Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

processor/video question

Options
  • 17-11-2009 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

My family PC has an Intel Q965 dual core Pentium, no video card. Will it run WoW reasonably well? My son has been using the trial online, now wants to get the game and an account.

Thanks all, don't want to buy it and then find I need a graphics card.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

tbh if it runs the trial then it should run the main game. (i await correction if im wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭PWR

ta. Called in to the guys at Gamestop, they reckon a 128 Meg card is needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

The trial is the exact same as the actual game. The only difference is level 20 is the cap and you don't have full functionality, therefore if you buy the full game it will run the exact same as the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

i have a 256 megabite RAM thing and wow runs great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fatjebus

PWR wrote: »
    My family PC has an Intel Q965 dual core Pentium, no video card. Will it run WoW reasonably well? My son has been using the trial online, now wants to get the game and an account.

Thanks all, don't want to buy it and then find I need a graphics card.

say goodbye to your son.

On a side note the trial is NOT the same as the game, end game content, 25man raids, lag, masses of people in cities, ect ect.

get a 128meg card its about 40quid if even that these days and will make life easier.

• Advertisement

cheers all, ta. Bye son :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm interested in getting feedback from guys who run powerful graphics card on wow.

Looking at a ATI Radeon 4890, my system runs a dual core and 3gb of ram.

Expecting wow to be amazing, true?

turns out the damn PC won't take a graphics board, its a USFF (ultra small form factor) Dell and has no space in it, so that's that. I will buy and run the CD in hope that it works reasonably fast, and get all upgrades/firmware etc. for the integrated graphics on the Intel processor, and live in hope.

Thanks,

PWR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

It'll be fine, just start with the lowest resolution, and switch off all the effects, and increase them until the framerate drops below an acceptable level. Test this soemwhere busy, such as inone of the cities.

I run Wow on 6 year old PC, initially with 1 GB ram and no graphics card, and it was fine.

USB graphics card might be an option?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hi,

With updates that have been released in the game, the requirements have become higher over the last 4 / 5 years its been out.

A budget card for around 30 40 euro should be able to do you on Low / Mid settings, depending on the screen resolution you select.

But even then, depending on your pc, there's different type's of graffic cards you card get, and are limited to the connections inside your box.

there are 3 different types of slots.

1) AGP
    2) PCI
    3) PCI express.

you can check out what you've got with an app like "PC Wizard" <- should be avail free.

what I would recommend is check the specs on the back of the "Wrath of the Lich King" expansion. Even if you are just goign to get your son Plain WoW without expansions, you are going to need to meet the same requirements. ( Due to the updates mentioned)

Write down the type of Video Card they have mentioned in there. (Sometimes they'd even recomend a few on the box)

When you have this and know what kind of slots are avail you can go to a PC shop like, "It Direct" or "PC World" mentioned what you need and they should be able to help out further.

But trust me, the requirments have gone up, there's more details about it around the website for WoW. So don't pay too much attention to someone in the games shop about what you need, you will be better verifying in a PC shop.

- Drav!

edit, in regards to posters above mentioning it'll be fine on any old card.

I used to run it on Mid settings on a FX5200 64 meg card 3 years ago, High Settings on a 7800 256meg card 2 years ago. The 7800 can only handle Low settings now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm interested in getting feedback from guys who run powerful graphics card on wow.

When i played i was using a 5870, 8gigs of ram and a i7 920. Game runs very smoothly as it should for a 2k pc. The only thing i really noticed was server lag in big city's. Graphicially i had everything maxed out and forced AA/AF in the ATI control centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

PWR wrote: »
    turns out the damn PC won't take a graphics board, its a USFF (ultra small form factor) Dell and has no space in it, so that's that. I will buy and run the CD in hope that it works reasonably fast, and get all upgrades/firmware etc. for the integrated graphics on the Intel processor, and live in hope.

Thanks,

PWR

Being honest with you here, it will run but it won't be great at all. It'll be horrible to pvp, raid or even do instances with but should be ok for just levelling.
    Put all graphics settings on lowest possible setting and change the resolution to lowest possible also, that will help anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

TheDoc wrote: »

Dunno what exact 4890 you're going for but just be aware that they're annoyingly noisy cards, might spoil your wow for you.
    I have a brand new one sitting in it's box, used it for a few days and ended up buying a BFG Nvidia 285 GTX as I just couldn't bare the noise from the 4890. That and the lag problems experienced in Dalaran with the ATI, no such problems with the Nvidia with everything maxed out.

The 4890 is a fine card, just too much noise for me and I wasn't happy at all with driver support or performance with Wow.

Advertisement