Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entertaining a 4 month old?

Options
  • 17-11-2009 2:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

What is there to do? :D

I have a 4 month old daughter who seems to get very bored very quickly. She will only sit in her bouncer for 25-30 minutes at a time(sometimes only for 10 minutes), refuses to stay on her play mat. So basically its left up to my and my OH to try and entertain her between feeds(she rarely sleeps between them) which is getting very tiring now because she hates laying down and wants to be up in the arms or sitting on my knee.

Is there anything we can buy at such a young age that would hold her attention for a while?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Get a sling that allows the child to face forwards. Then work away doing housework or whatever, the child gets a constantly changing environment to watch and you get to get work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

The sling is a good idea. baby einstein dvds too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

The sling is a good idea. baby einstein dvds too.

What are baby einstein dvds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Our little one even at that stage loved Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, lots of vibrant colours although she didn't watch it too much an hour a day max. Toys from Mothercare can be good to help stimulate them while in bouncer. Attach to the bar of the bouncer wind up wiggly toys etc.

Our little one is nearly 11 months and would love to have some time back where she was content to sit/lie on me most of the time now she wants floor time.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

30 mins in a bouncer is not bad. Presuming youre going to be in the same room as her, make sure she can see you. Play music, talk to her while you work. Let her be aware of whats going on. Noone wants to be looking at the ceiling from a play mat all day.:)

God its terrible but I cant rem if my kids could grab at four months. But if she can (and if not this will be useful soon), scrunchy paper is good, or anything at all she can hold and feel and investigate, as long as its not a choking risk. Those strung rattles and hanging mobile were good in short bursts, but small babies do loose interest quickly.

The good news is, if you think this is time consuming, wait till she can crawl!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Our little one even at that stage loved Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, lots of vibrant colours although she didn't watch it too much an hour a day max. Toys from Mothercare can be good to help stimulate them while in bouncer. Attach to the bar of the bouncer wind up wiggly toys etc.

Our little one is nearly 11 months and would love to have some time back where she was content to sit/lie on me most of the time now she wants floor time.

Haha, my 9 month old is the same, he adores Dora and Diego and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. He also adores the Lion man and Hurling! And he is screaming until he is allowed on the floor to crawl!

OP short cartoons are great. They easily keepp the child attention for a few minutes each:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Haha, my 9 month old is the same, he adores Dora and Diego and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. He also adores the Lion man and Hurling! And he is screaming until he is allowed on the floor to crawl!

OP short cartoons are great. They easily keepp the child attention for a few minutes each:)

Deal or no deal is great she loves to clap along, and she is obsessed with the sponser ad thats one before and after each break. That and insurance ads.

Advertisement