Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

all dogs should be microchipped by law

Options
  • 17-11-2009 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi

Does anyone else think that all dogs should be microchipped by law? and there should be stricter dog licence laws and a microchip database, so if there are any cruelty cases owners can be traced and prosecuted? There are so many stray dogs out there, I live near the local dog pound and there are always stray dogs roaming around the area cos people just throw them out of the car hoping the dog warden will pick them up, its scandalous. I think every dog should be accounted for not just pedigree dogs you should have to register a dog when you get it and every dog should be traced like cattle are etc, I know it would never happen but in my ideal world it would.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

sounds like a good plan, but a lot of flaws, maybe start with every dog entering a dog's home/pound/shelter has to be microchipped and neutered before being re-homed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kd20

yeah Paul191 that would work, good idea. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

but, but, but ...if my dogs are properly contained in the first place, they won't be needing a microchip.

(hence my dogs won't be getting one either)

also ...if the owner can't be bothered about proper dog containment in the first place...fat chance of them bothering to get it chipped.

peasant, I appreciate that, but there are alot of irresponsible dog owners out there too, if everyone was so responsible and good there would'nt be hundreds of full dog shelters around the country, I just think there should be something in place to prevent this neglect and cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Even leaving aside the rate of non-registered chips , dogs still in the breeders name with no contact for owners etc they're still fallible.

My Dane has been chipped three times. The first one, done when she was a puppy, is currently halfway down one leg - how likely is the warden to scan there? The second one, done when she was about 18 months old, is currently under her jaw (lets see the warden find that one lol). The third is on her shoulder, some 5cm from where it started.

Microchipping isn't the answer to bad dog ownership. If it were law only the responsible ones would do it anyway.

• Advertisement

i think KD20 is looking for a light at the end of the tunnel, i'm sure they understand that chipping all dogs won't solve cruelty etc, but if you started by chipping and neutering "re-homed" dogs at least

a) if they end up in the pound again the owner could be contacted and possible fined/have to pay costs (would stop people getting a dog and just letting it loose cos they get bored after a few weeks)

b) stop them breeding producing more dogs to home

Of the 9 dogs we have had in the last 2 months only one came from a breeder, the other eight came out of the pound (OK 6 where inside 1 when we took her out :D not that they told us :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Well all horses are required to have a passport by law, so I suppose it would be a similar initiative. However, there are so many dogs it would be incredibly hard to police. Who do you think would take that job on? The ISPCA? I'm guessing it would require major funding (like everything).

I personally would like to see proper animal protection laws in place that are taken seriously!

YOURFACE! wrote: »
    Well all horses are required to have a passport by law, so I suppose it would be a similar initiative. However, there are so many dogs it would be incredibly hard to police. Who do you think would take that job on? The ISPCA? I'm guessing it would require major funding (like everything).

I personally would like to see proper animal protection laws in place that are taken seriously!

the laws do need to be put in place, but how about instead of dog licenses being mandatory dog tagging is, so instead of €15 a year you pay one of fee of €30?

something has to be done, I do accept that some dogs that are properly cared for can wander off at times but at least if they are microchipped who ever finds them can return them safely, a little dog strayed into my parents house few months ago we took him to the vet to see was he microchipped and he wasnt, We reckon he was thrown out of a car by some horrible person but then again we could be wrong he could be someones beloved pet that just wandered off and someone could be missing him fierce. We put a pic up of him on ispca lost and found he was never claimed so we kept him but some poor dogs are not always that lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

peasant wrote: »
    but, but, but ...if my dogs are properly contained in the first place, they won't be needing a microchip.

(hence my dogs won't be getting one either)

also ...if the owner can't be bothered about proper dog containment in the first place...fat chance of them bothering to get it chipped.

Any vet will tell you that every week they treat dogs that have been involved in RTA's etc that were kept in very secure gardens. Dogs can & do get out. I know of one right now where someone (possibly an oil delivery guy) left a gate unbolted & recently my vet had a dog that had literally jumped through a closed kitchen window !.

Belgium & Sweden have mandatory chipping & Norway have just introduced it for cats. If we spread the message that some dogs need chips & some don't then it will hardly encourage people to microchip. I am at a total loss as to why someone would not microchip. It's cheap, quick & you only have to do it once.

Most owners in Ireland cannot be bothered to fit a name tag. One of the ideas proposed in the AWB submissions was for an expensive dog license with refunds for chipping, neutering, & taking a rescue dog. The chip number would be on the license & vets would routinely check every dog when it comes in for the first time.

But all of this is pointless if it is not enforced & if the money is used for general expenditure. I would happily pay €100 each per year for my two if every cent went to welfare & as a consequence there were no strays. In Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Germany etc stray dogs do not exist. There is such a shortage that Sweden takes our strays.

By the way you can now get a cat door that will read your cat's microchip & only allow him in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement