Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 in UCD

Options
  • 17-11-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Do any technology savvy posters know if I will have any problems connecting to the UCD Network if I install Windows 7 Home Premium on my laptop? I ask because there is a feature in the Professional Editions called Domain Join (details here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/domain-join.aspx) which isn't available on the Home Editions.

Not that it can be any more difficult to get onto the net than it already is in the library! :mad::eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 azlanazha

No you wont... Windows 7 is very much compatible with windows XP more so than Windows Vista. You are not to worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Gaeldor68

It works fine.

Just out of interest what school are you in?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You don't need the 'domain join' feature in UCD. As long as you've a working Wireless card you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Gaeldor68 wrote: »
    It works fine.

Law.

I haven't installed it yet but I am considering downloading the 32bit upgrade version of Windows Home Premium this evening. I have Vista Home Basic on my laptop. How are you getting on with Windows 7 and what did you upgrade from/to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 azlanazha

Gaeldor68 wrote: »
    It works fine.

Im in medicine UCD...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Gaeldor68

I was upgrading from 64 bit vista home premium to 64 bit professional. I installed it on a separate partition so I can use both. Personally I don't really find much difference between the two but maybe thats just me.

Ok was just wondering if you were in CSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

Just while we're on the topic of Windows 7. Does anyone know if you can get any decent student discount on it in UCD because I was thinking of upgrading my laptop?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Probably do better on Amazon I'd say. There's essentially no day-to-day difference between Home Premium and Professional - Professional can join a domain (not necessary in UCD) and I think may have BitLocker drive encryption available too. Good job you're on the 64-bit version; far too many 64-bit capable machines are still coming with the 32-bit OS version :o

Advertisement