Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can another dvd drive be installed compaq presario desktop?

• 17-11-2009 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

having problems with the dvd drive i got with my pc. I opened it up to install another dvd drive from another pc i had. To my annoyance ( :P ) i found that my compaq presario uses different cables to connect the dvd drive. Not the standard cable.

so ... anyone know what the story is?
    can i only install compaq presario dvd drives and not standard ones?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

yes the second (http://images.google.ie/images?q=sata+cable&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GBfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=Gc4CS-mQAYHd-QbV-Lz_Dw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCcQsAQwAw )

sata cables.

any other pc i had used IDE cables.
    So it causes a problem changing the drives (as the drive stopped working)

so what do i have to do?
    the other dvd drive i wanna stick in doesnt have Sata cable ports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

whatsamsn wrote: »
    yes the second (http://images.google.ie/images?q=sata+cable&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GBfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=Gc4CS-mQAYHd-QbV-Lz_Dw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCcQsAQwAw )

sata cables.

any other pc i had used IDE cables.
    So it causes a problem changing the drives (as the drive stopped working)

so what do i have to do?
    the other dvd drive i wanna stick in doesnt have Sata cable ports.

Simple mate just buy a new Sata DVD drive, you can get a good Sata DVD re-writer for about €20-40. IDE is going the way of the Dodo tbh as most new midlevel motherboards dont support it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

A word of caution.
    Check the length needed for your Compaq Presario desktop, from the motherboard to where you want to insert your second drive.
    There is some that run into problems here with this particular model.
    Everything in the Compaq Presario is particularly awkward to work around internally too.
    Note the length of the second internal free power sata cable - its very short and might not reach to where the second one will be inserted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Biggins wrote: »
    A word of caution.
    Check the length needed for your Compaq Presario desktop, from the motherboard to where you want to insert your second drive.
    Everything in the Compaq Presario is particularly awkward to work around internally too.
    Note the length of the second internal free power sata cable - its very short and might not reach to where the second one will be inserted.
    I bloody hate that! All the manufacturers have started to do that. The cables are just long enough to connect the component and that's all.

• Advertisement

I just thought; maybe your motherboard still has an IDE connector. In which case, take the cable from your old PC with the drive and install both. It's worth while checking it out.

IDE connectors look like this:
    ide-motherboard-connectors.jpg.

I was going to say, "trace the cable back from your floppy drive and then look for similar but larger connectors," but then I remembered that you probably don't have a floppy drive. Not many people do. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Biggins wrote: »
    A word of caution.

The OP seems to be replacing a sata drive tho so cable length wont be an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Venom wrote: »
    The OP seems to be replacing a sata drive tho so cable length wont be an issue.
    O' I though he said "I opened it up to install another dvd drive from another pc i had."
    O' well, if your right, no problem then.
    Me being daft thinking he was installing a second one. :D

thanks for the help guys.
    i think i saw an ide connector on my motherboard.
    i'll try it now :)

i think i saw an ide connector on my motherboard.
    Looks like you might be in business. Hope the IDE cable is long enough.

• Advertisement

bought a ide cable.
    its to big for the ide connector on my motherboard, well i assume its an ide connector.

maybe i'll take a pic for you guys and someone can tell me what exactly it is if its not an ide connector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

bought a ide cable.
    its to big for the ide connector on my motherboard, well i assume its an ide connector.

maybe i'll take a pic for you guys and someone can tell me what exactly it is if its not an ide connector.

If the cable is too big, then I'd say that the motherboard only has a floppy connector, which is no use to you...
    As has been said, you might as well just pick up a new SATA drive for less than €30.
    You could always get a SATA to serial adapter as well if you're really loathe to splash out that much

tman wrote: »
    If the cable is too big, then I'd say that the motherboard only has a floppy connector, which is no use to you...
    +1
    Looks exactly the same, but it's shorter.

Advertisement