Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Derry: What's the best way?

Options
  • 17-11-2009 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, thinking of taking a weekend break in Derry soon and was wondering how long it takes to drive there and what the route is like. I'd probably be leaving Cork at about 1pm on a Friday. (Is driving the best way, btw? I'd need to hire a car, which I can do for under €80, and time is of the essence.)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

The best road would be to go via Dublin (M/N8->M7->M50->M1->N2 etc), which is about 50km longer than Cork->Athlone->Derry (I can't vouch for the quality of that road).

You could also fly Cork->Dublin (Ryanair/Aer Arainn) and then Dublin->Derry (Aer Arainn), although timings and costs may not suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Have been travelling from Cork to Derry (North Derry) for a while now and have tried various routes. The winner was Cork -> Dublin -> Belfast -> Dungiven. Takes about 5hrs 30 mins most times (without stopping). Its the best route for road quality (DC most of the way) and the sanity you get from not having to go through towns and being stuck on a single lane road.

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

The best way (in terms of road quality and timing) is probably driving from Cork to Dublin, then up the M1 to the Ardee exit and following the N2/A5 to Derry. You can also go Cork-Limerick-Galway (Oranmore)-Sligo-Derry but it would probably take longer, or at least feel longer. The third way is through the midlands.

Bus Éireann have a service (of sorts) from Cork to Derry, but it takes ages. Or you could take a bus from Cork to Dublin (I'm not sure how long that takes), and then Dublin to Derry (which takes ~4 hours and takes the M1 route instead of the entire N2 one).

Train would be completely out of the question (Cork-Dublin-Belfast-Derry).

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I'd do Dublin if time is of the essence.

But the drive through the middle of the country might be more interesting.

If Dublin, then take the M1 to the N53 (jnct 17) to Castleblaney. I've done that trip out Dublin a few times and its better than either the N33 or N2.

Don't go into the North on the M1 though. Its too much hassle around Newry with all the unpatriotic :rolleyes: people.

For a bit more of interesting drive the West coast or up the middle through Athlone would be nicer.

Don't fly. It will take much much longer.

I like Derry. Its like Cork in the way its small enough to walk around.
    The walking tour of the walls and elsewhere is excellent. Best line I heard while there was, "we call it Derry as well, just not on TV"

Advertisement