Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden stairs and carpet

Options
  • 17-11-2009 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Can anyone recommend what type of sealant I should put on my wooden stairs before underlay and carpet go on?
    All of the stair treads are being covered and no wood will be exposed.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Why sealent? I am thinking to stick the carpet down. If you are laying the carpet in one continous length on the stairs you should not rely on just sticking the carpet down. However if you are tacking it every 2-3 steps any sealent like no more nails will work fine.

I used a combination of a couple of tacks with sealent but my stairs turns and I wanted to be safe.

Hope you get more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mrs Smith

Hi Joey
    thanks for the reply, my line of thinking is that maybe the wooden stairs need something to dampen (or calm ) down the dust- this is in a newly built house and we put PVA on all of our floors which are concrete and this worked wonders for keeping dust down.
    I was wondering would there be something similar we could do because underlay and carpet is being fitted by professional fitters from where we bought the carpet...
    Many thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Mrs Smith wrote: »
    Hi Joey
    thanks for the reply, my line of thinking is that maybe the wooden stairs need something to dampen (or calm ) down the dust- this is in a newly built house and we put PVA on all of our floors which are concrete and this worked wonders for keeping dust down.
    I was wondering would there be something similar we could do because underlay and carpet is being fitted by professional fitters from where we bought the carpet...
    Many thanks :)

You do not need to apply anything. Just get a dust pan and brush or a hoover and sweep as much of the dust as possible. You can use a cloth after if you wish. do not use PVA on the stairs. it will become very sticky.

Advertisement