Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips for photo exhibition (at work)

• 17-11-2009 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We're having a photo exhibition at work (about 20 photos).
    photos will be displayed in the atrium.
    I'm wondering
    what's ideal size for photos
    should I put a plain white frame around them all or just the photo

Any other tips would be great.
    Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Make sure the one of your boss has pride of place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

get each one properly mounted (can do it yourself if funds are tight) ..... and ensure the photographers name and details (if required) are linked to every pic - so people can see who took what pics.

everyone will be happy as long as their work is displayed and visibly easy to find out who took it.

arrange them around the wall of the atrium (so people can pose with their own work) or maybe on pillars in center of atrium if any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    The photo exhibition is planned for this month so I'm trying to finalize things.
    Each person will have about 3 pics so I want to keep costs down, it's our first exhibiton (very informal)
    1. what's best size to print pictures? 12*16 or differnet size?
    2. Printing doesn't seem to be cheap. (I know there's a lot of threads about printing and recommended places). Would places like Aldi be bad quality or acceptable but not as good as others?
    2B. Can someone recommend where to get prints done (doesn't matter if online or instore, I'm looking for cheap but obviously good quality).
    3. Framing pics would be too expensive so mounting seems to be best option.
    how easy is it do your myself (if not too hard are there any tips/where to buy the material/website with tips) or would you recommend getting it done professionally?
    4. anything else?

thanks,
    pa

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It would probably be best to keep the images smaller (A4 ish) than go larger. This will keep the costs down & also avoid things like pixelation from files which do not have enough resolution.

Why not have a chat to stcstc about options which will suit your budget. He is always very helpful & if he cannot help you himself will steer you towards someone who can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jjoconnor

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    3. Framing pics would be too expensive so mounting seems to be best option.
    how easy is it do your myself (if not too hard are there any tips/where to buy the material/website with tips) or would you recommend getting it done professionally?

i recently used framing fantastic in antrim and they were massively cheaper than dublin. you can have them sent down in a few days if you have enough time.

the mounts were top quality and ridiculously cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Dunno if you're anywhere in the region of IKEA but they stock some pretty decent frames for a reasonable price. I do a lot of square stuff (as in square pictures) and you can get a 50x50cm frame (which takes an 11.5 x 11.5 inch print with mount supplied) for about e25. The print itself was very reasonable from stcstc mentioned elsewhere. Ikea do all sorts of sizes and shapes, so you might get a few ideas by looking at their online store.

The advantage of doing this is that you have something to take away at the end of your exhibition and hang on the wall at home or wherever.

Looks like this - you can;t tell the scale but it's pretty big:
    4251599862_8fcf614960.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Cheers, I was looking at something like this from Ikea

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If using those I would get the 40x50 size, as that is close to 16"x20", which is a fairly standard size for exhibition.

Advertisement