Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearly 11 months and going off Formula

Options
  • 17-11-2009 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Our 10.5 month old girl seems to be going off her formula is content to drink water but once she sees the bottle of formula comming shuts up shop. Since she was very young she knew her own mind on food and always refused when she had enough. She has a very veried and healthy diet with no unhealthy elements yet.

Trouble is she seems to have gone off the bottle the night bottle sometimes only takes 1-2 ozs and now never more than 4 ozs. Over a month ago the norm would be 6-8 oz's.

Any advice? Too early for cows milk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why not try and see if she will drink it from a sippy cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

We have introduced sippy cups she is fine with them with its water however when the formula is there she will drink some but nowhere near as much as previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Maybe try shifting to a differnt forumula and checking with your local baby nurse re cow's milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My daughter did this. I put her on cows milk at her first birthday and still no joy. The only way I could get milk into her was mixing it with her food.

She's 7 now and still hates milk, never drinks it. She hates hot chocolate, milkshakes etc. Not overly fond of ice cream either. Thankfully she loves cheese and yogurts so I just let her have her dairy intake through these instead.

Some kids just don't like milk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Same as above, cows milk by the time they were one but the eldest didnt like any milk and still doesnt, tonnes of dairy instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My daughter started to go off formula at around 7 months. Didn't take to it at all. Brought her to the PHN who suggested to just keep trucking with it for a while not to change formula at this late stage and if things didn't pick up then to bring her back and we could discuss trying diluted cows milk...

Thankfully she got back into the swing of things. She's not taking a whole lot of formula <20oz a day but PHN says that as long as she has a varied diet she should be fine. Yoghurts and cheese! Loads of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Snowman123

My son did his at 3 months.

We struggled until 6 when the PHN recommended we move him onto Follow on milk.

He is now 8 months and we get roughly 20oz in a day by mixing it with food.

Breakfast he gets 9-10oz formula with Ready Brek
    Night time before bed 10oz formula with Baby rice

Not ideal but worked a treat so not worried.

20oz is the recommended amout for his age. I am just delighted I am barley getting it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Hi Joeyjj.. Have you looked at her diet during the day, maybe she's full? I find with my little one that she eats three meal's and two snack's during the day and she's not that bothered with her bedtime bottle she can take it or leave it. I gradually swtched her from formula to cow's milk at 11 months she's almost 13 months now. I had been using cow's milk in her cereal and when making her dinner's for about 7 month's before i changed her over, no reaction and her digestive system handled the change no probs. Anyway you can top up her calcium intake with cheese, yogurts and green veg if she refuse's the formula. Best of luck... Sorry meant to say also how much water does she drink? Maybe this is filling her belly and bloating her?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

This happened with my little boy too, he went off his formula at about 10 months, so I put him onto Cows Milk and gave him Abidec drops so he was still getting his vitamins, and he went back to taking a full bottle every morning and night. I know they recommend not giving a baby cows milk until they are over 1 but it has done my son more good than harm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wantolose

our little man is gone off is milk to, he will just about drink one bottle when he wakes in the morning and then for the rest of the day i have to mix it into his food, but he loves cheese, yogurt and rice pudding so try to add it to his food!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭athlone M

My son went off his formula when he was about the same age as your daughter and as he was so young I rang the phn who told me to battle on with him with the formula but he point blank refused and when I got back in contact with phn again I suggested cows milk and she said to try him with some cool boiled water but he wouldn't budge he never liked the bottles of water and I suggested to the phn that I try him on cows milk she was concerned that he was a little young for a large quantity of cows milk and suggested that I give him a bottle of milk at breakfast and before bed but he had no interest in the bottle in the morning and the bottle before bed was a battle and I eventually gave in and he drank bottles of liga juice, my son is almost two now and hes a fit healthy boy, I suggest you do what you think is right for your daughter at the end of the day you know her better than anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Well She is happy on the formula again she is teething again and in a feeding frenzy. We are introducing cows milk is very small amounts so she can get used to the taste. She'll be 12 months on xmas eve so not long before the min requirement most put of a year kicks in.

Advertisement