Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus dole bonus

Options
  • 17-11-2009 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭

I left Ireland a couple years back but didnt know that you get a christmas bonus on the dole ???!?!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1112/1224258661014.html

Whats the bonus for ... well done for doing nothing ?
    She said the decision would greatly exacerbate the hardship faced by people on social welfare. “It is an entirely heartless decision, especially where you had obvious choices and you could have increased taxes.”

That quote really pisses me off .. penalise the working even more for the ones that aren't working.

The whole country is going to sh*t ... I have no interest in going back.

It was bad enough before I left, i.e lack of infrastructure, lack of planning, people will sell their mother for a quick buck, its gone all Capitalist America and now that the horse has bolted everyone is trying to grab as much money as they can to keep that BMW 5 Series they bought last year running.

TBH if i had to compare Ireland to my Job, i'd compare it to a Project that started out with a huge budget, overhired and paid over the odds for a ton of contractors without any strategy, then numerous times throughout the project the Project Manager left and was replaced over and over again passing on his probems to the next one.

Perhaps Sinn Fein should change their name to Me Fein, I'm sure they'd get votes then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I believe they are not going to pay it this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

And rightly so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It wasn't for everyone, only people who were on welfare schemes long-term, at least 12 months I think

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rainman1

mikemac wrote: »
    It wasn't for everyone, only people who were on welfare schemes long-term, at least 12 months I think

So you were rewarded for being long term unemployed !, I endorse the original posters comments completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Rainman1 wrote: »
    So you were rewarded for being long term unemployed !, I endorse the original posters comments completely.

Not reward for being unemployed, it was so unemployed people and their dependents were able to meet the inevitable extra costs at Christmas. whether it's right or wrong, Christmas is expensive, buy a tree a turkey and a couple of kids presents and the bonus would be gone.

The underlying assumption was that social welfare was enough to survive and stay out of poverty, given the monthly cost of living, the cost of living is much much higher at Christmas, therefore an bonus was paid.

Same thing in September, there is a back to school bonus for social welfare recipients with kids in education, cost of living is higher in September for parents.

I don't see any problem with pensioners getting the bonus, they've served their time, paid their taxes and deserve it.

I also don't see any problem with someone getting the bonus when they are hard at it seeking a job, when they get their job, they'll be paying back into the system again, that's the nature of social insurance.

There are of course the minority of welfare recipients who don't deserve the support of taxpayers, their easy to spot, well able to work but on the dole for 5 years, those people should not get a bonus and their dole should be reduced by a few percent every month until they are so hard up they have to work.

• Advertisement

Without trying to sound ignorant... I really don't understand the rant? The bonus has been cancelled since April...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

If im not mistaken it was 15 months. This actually makes a mockery of the whole thing. It never benefitted anyone who unfortuantly lost their job recently but more the spongers on the dole for years. Never made sense to me

Without trying to sound ignorant... I really don't understand the rant? The bonus has been cancelled since April...:confused:

I think there was always a hope that the Govt would back down and pay it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    If im not mistaken it was 15 months. This actually makes a mockery of the whole thing. It never benefitted anyone who unfortuantly lost their job recently but more the spongers on the dole for years. Never made sense to me

I'd say you're correct, I knew either 12 months or 15 months, I couldn't remember which. I'm happy to be corrected :)

And yes, it's been cancelled since April so it's not as if they cut it a few weeks before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

djk1000 wrote: »
    Not reward for being unemployed, it was so unemployed people and their dependents were able to meet the inevitable extra costs at Christmas. whether it's right or wrong, Christmas is expensive, buy a tree a turkey and a couple of kids presents and the bonus would be gone.

3 square meals a day cost the same at xmas as they do any other time.

if they want presents they can put in a request with their local SVDP and hope for the best.

tree's, presents, and flipping turkeys.

What planet are some people on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

It was neither 12 nor 15.

OP why the hate? I semi understand why people used to criticise those on the dole, but with unemployment so high at the minute its clear that most on the dole are not trying to sponge off the system, (not that I ever believed this) they've recently lost their jobs and there is nothing available right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It used to be part of the basic welfare package. Fair enough that pensioners, people on disability allowance and carers should get it. Receiving a bonus for having scrounged off the state for long enough during a time of full employment was bull**** though. I imagine there's plenty of working families who won't be in a position to afford nice things this Christmas either so not exactly fair to give a bonus to one group of "vulnerable" and not to other vulnerable families.
    Without trying to sound ignorant... I really don't understand the rant? The bonus has been cancelled since April...

Because Labour, Sinn Féin and various pressure groups won't STFU about it and it'll be back on if they have their way.
    djk1000 wrote:
    Christmas is expensive, buy a tree a turkey and a couple of kids presents and the bonus would be gone.

An artificial tree costs less than €20 these days and lasts for years.

OP why the hate? I semi understand why people used to criticise those on the dole, but with unemployment so high at the minute its clear that most on the dole are not trying to sponge off the system, (not that I ever believed this) they've recently lost their jobs and there is nothing available right now.

15 according to citizens advice

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/christmas-bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

People on JSB didn't get it, just JSA...
    it pays to sponge long term...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

efb wrote: »
    People on JSB didn't get it, just JSA...
    it pays to sponge long term...

l'm only on JSB since April, so l'm a short term sponger.......right? :rolleyes:

CPL 593H

Newbie sponger is the more appropriate term. Also I notice a certain amount of post blindness regarding JSA and JSB.

No that was my point JSB is effectively your 'Stamps' your PRSI money.

JSA on the other hand should be replaced with vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

Stark wrote: »
    Newbie sponger is the more appropriate term

are you trolling?

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Christmas should have nothing to do with money, Playstations, iPods, Jewelery, expensive presents its absolutely ludicrous to expect a 'bonus' from Social Welfare no less at christmas.

The dole isn't meant to a frikking Holiday, its meant to support you until you get a new job, but not in a fashion that will encourage you to stay unemployed.

I'm not criticising the people themselves, i'm criticising the system, i.e. some people are better off on the dole than working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

efb wrote: »

JSA on the other hand should be replaced with vouchers

I agree to an extent...but where should the vouchers be issued for?
    Local small businesses? Large UK retailers? Farmer's markets?
    Should the government start up their own retail business to sell food and essentials to those on SW?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

craichoe wrote: »
    I left Ireland a couple years back but didnt know that you get a christmas bonus on the dole ???!?!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1112/1224258661014.html

Whats the bonus for ... well done for doing nothing ?

That quote really pisses me off .. penalise the working even more for the ones that aren't working.

The whole country is going to sh*t ... I have no interest in going back.

It was bad enough before I left, i.e lack of infrastructure, lack of planning, people will sell their mother for a quick buck, its gone all Capitalist America and now that the horse has bolted everyone is trying to grab as much money as they can to keep that BMW 5 Series they bought last year running.

TBH if i had to compare Ireland to my Job, i'd compare it to a Project that started out with a huge budget, overhired and paid over the odds for a ton of contractors without any strategy, then numerous times throughout the project the Project Manager left and was replaced over and over again passing on his probems to the next one.

Perhaps Sinn Fein should change their name to Me Fein, I'm sure they'd get votes then.

the 1st half of your post criticised our overley generous wellfare state yet by the end of the post , your accusing us of being like capitalist america as if america has anything like as generous of a wellfare state as ireland , muddled post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Basically it rewarded the "long term unemployed" (or the unemployable group of society, anyone who didnt have a job during the boom times didnt want one because there was an abundance of jobs). Should never have instated the "bonus" in the first place and definetly the right decision to scrap it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

irish_bob wrote: »
    the 1st half of your post criticised our overley generous wellfare state yet by the end of the post , your accusing us of being like capitalist america as if america has anything like as generous of a wellfare state as ireland , muddled post

I don't think so ,

First half of the post is about the welfare system being flawed,

Everything after "The whole country is going to sh*t ... I have no interest in going back."

Is why I wouldn't go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

I think Fianna Fail already has dibs on this name.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

penalise the working even more for the ones that aren't working.

And tax relief on investor mortgages is the scandal at the other end of the "money for nothing" scale.

Why is it always the non-moving easy to hit target that everyone on this board uses ?

And tax relief on investor mortgages is the scandal at the other end of the "money for nothing" scale.

Why is it always the non-moving easy to hit target that everyone on this board uses ?

That was Step 1: Creating a bubble and then bursting it.
    Now we're onto step 2, death by a thousand cuts. Mostly as a result of the give away budgets that were justified based on the bubble in step 1.

Fianna Fáil sold us down the river in Step 1. Now we can either keep playing the blame game while proceeding with Step 2 or we can attempt to pull back.

Wertz wrote: »
    Should the government start up their own retail business to sell food and essentials to those on SW?

Energy, Food, Sky Sports on da dodgy box, Travel, Accommodation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Wertz wrote: »

It doesn't have to be vouchers, it can be a debit card or compatible with that system so as not to cost retailers anything upgrading systems or embarrass those using it.

Then the card only validates in government approved stores and it can't be used outside the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Stark wrote: »
    Newbie sponger is the more appropriate term. Also I notice a certain amount of post blindness regarding JSA and JSB.

Give the chap a break, hes on JSB so he paid his fair share in contributions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

Christmas should have nothing to do with money, Playstations, iPods, Jewelery, expensive presents its absolutely ludicrous to expect a 'bonus' from Social Welfare no less at christmas.

The dole isn't meant to a frikking Holiday, its meant to support you until you get a new job, but not in a fashion that will encourage you to stay unemployed.

I'm not criticising the people themselves, i'm criticising the system, i.e. some people are better off on the dole than working.

if i remember correctly and i am open to contradiction, it was firstly brought in at the behest of the vincent de paul and similar groups in an effort to keep the less better off out of the clutches of the money lenders, who ever decided to call it a bonus should have changed their dealer.

Advertisement