Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus dole bonus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

ntlbell wrote: »
    yet you sit there knocking people who work in mc donalds.

maybe it might a be a point of call for you tomorrow if you're that annoyed sitting on your arse.

Dude, l've had it with the bickering tbh.
    Think what you want to think, l'm done.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

don't work a day or work all your life you're entitled the social. stamp or no stamp.

his entitlement is not in question

JSA is means tested. In other words if your partner works you get nothing
    If you live at home and your parents work you get nothing or very little.
    If your self employed and you go bust you get nothing for a year.

Your statement is factually incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

yet you sit there knocking people who work in mc donalds.

maybe it might a be a point of call for you tomorrow if you're that annoyed sitting on your arse.

Enough bickering and baiting.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

don't work a day or work all your life you're entitled the social. stamp or no stamp.

his entitlement is not in question

There are different types of social welfare. Its not as simple as your making out. Read up on it.

If you pay in you are entitled to it, if you don't your means tested which exists only so we don't let people die on our streets. It is being abused by some and it needs amending but that system has nothing to do with people who are paying PRSI and get laid off. They get benefits under a different system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Rainman1 wrote: »
    So you were rewarded for being long term unemployed !, I endorse the original posters comments completely.

Yeah because everyone can just get a job lickidy split like that.
    I got back from Oz to this dump last april and have so far be unable to acquire work. That "bonus" would have helped ease the pocket in December seeing as we all celebrate a money succubus of a holiday known as Christmas.

But i suppose i dont deserve even the meager €200 a week im getting now....its not like i was paying tax for 9 uninterrupted years. The latter half in the highest tax bracket.

I hope you lose your job for a long term. Well see if you have the welly not to sign on for moral reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rainman1

Arcto wrote: »
    Yeah because everyone can just get a job lickidy split like that.
    I got back from Oz to this dump last april and have so far be unable to acquire work. That "bonus" would have helped ease the pocket in December seeing as we all celebrate a money succubus of a holiday known as Christmas.

But i suppose i dont deserve even the meager €200 a week im getting now....its not like i was paying tax for 9 uninterrupted years. The latter half in the highest tax bracket.

I hope you lose your job for a long term. Well see if you have the welly not to sign on for moral reasons.

Glad you can afford to celebrate Christmas, 'cos I can't. This year I've got to work straight through, including Christmas day to make ends meet. Sorry if I don't seem sympathetic towards not having to finance your "money succubus of a holiday known as Christmas", but I'll be celebrating nothing this year, I won't lose my job long term either because I'm willing to get off my ass and undercut the opposition and work unsociable hours rather than take the dole, so suck it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Rainman1 wrote: »
    Glad you can afford to celebrate Christmas, 'cos I can't. This year I've got to work straight through, including Christmas day to make ends meet. Sorry if I don't seem sympathetic towards not having to finance your "money succubus of a holiday known as Christmas", but I'll be celebrating nothing this year, I won't lose my job long term either because I'm willing to get off my ass and undercut the opposition and work unsociable hours rather than take the dole, so suck it up

Errr, ithink you missed my point on xmas. I dont view it as something to celebrate, its just youd end up being branded a social wanker if you didnt pointlessly buy crap for people.
    Ill work your god damn job for you if you want it off. No problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Be a wanker, the consumerism of Ireland died with the Celtic Tiger two years past...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 givethemstamps

Lets be honest, 200 odd Euro a week basic is ridiculous. Folk on a 35 hour week at minimum wage would be earning around 300, 100 would be the net benefit. less than 3 euro an hour. So effectively 'they lot' are getting paid near 6 an hour for doing nothing. Thats before I take into account any of the other benefits 'they lot' get.

I think they should be given a basic amount of money along with stamps to pay for food from aldi/lidl and the likes. A lot better than watching them driving around all week in their new car and falling out of pubs at the weekend living the champagne lifestyle on everyones taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

Lets be honest, 200 odd Euro a week basic is ridiculous. Folk on a 35 hour week at minimum wage would be earning around 300, 100 would be the net benefit. less than 3 euro an hour. So effectively 'they lot' are getting paid near 6 an hour for doing nothing. Thats before I take into account any of the other benefits 'they lot' get.

100 quid extra a week is not to be sniffed at. It could be the difference between paying your mortgage and not.
    A lot better than watching them driving around all week in their new car and falling out of pubs at the weekend living the champagne lifestyle on everyones taxes.

This is just bull.:rolleyes:

I would assume by your username that you are probably an established boards user and using this fake name to troll with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I think the long term unemployed should be rewarded by being dragged down a lane and shot.

Who needs Christmas Bonuses when you've Christmas Bullets.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Rb, stop advocating violence. Daithinski, stop accusing people of trolling. givethemstamps, stop trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 givethemstamps

Daithinski wrote: »
    100 quid extra a week is not to be sniffed at. It could be the difference between paying your mortgage and not.

100 quid is a bit of money, but sure does the rent allowance not nearly cover that?

I see it every weekend, the last people to leave the pub then driving in their fancy cars the following day. There should be a greater gap between the earnings of those who work and those who dont.

I dont mind people who are genuine in their need of it however i'm sure you will agree it is being flouted somewhat by a LOT of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Atwork

Daithinski wrote: »

100 quid is a bit of money, but sure does the rent allowance not nearly cover that?

I see it every weekend, the last people to leave the pub then driving in their fancy cars the following day. There should be a greater gap between the earnings of those who work and those who dont.

I dont mind people who are genuine in their need of it however i'm sure you will agree it is being flouted somewhat by a LOT of people.

How do you know the personal circumstances of "these people" you are talking about. Time to cop on and stop trolling. This kind of nonsense drives me nuts.

Rb wrote: »
    I think the long term unemployed should be rewarded by being dragged down a lane and shot.

Incredible that this tripe got thanked. I hope that people that spout this **** and also those that praise it get a good and sharp shock of the reality of being unemployed and desperately searching for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭nessie911

I feel that the government have made the dole an easy option for most people.

I feel sorry for people who have worked all their lives and have now no other options, but people who have been on long term social benefits drive me crazy.

I am a student and i get a grant of 3420 a year, and people who are my age(under 21) who are on the dole get 100 euro a week i think(correct me if im wrong), so in total get 5200. I have to pay my own rent, food etc. They only have to pay for food, and what ever rent they have to pay they get rent allowance.

Why do they give more to people who are not trying to do something with their lives? Who come straight from school and sign on?

Atwork wrote: »
    Incredible that this tripe got thanked. I hope that people that spout this **** and also those that praise it get a good and sharp shock of the reality of being unemployed and desperately searching for work.
    I've been unemployed, as I've said in other threads, and got a job immediately after I dropped my self-perception of grandeur that arose from previous positions I had held. Not a bad job either, but one which I considered "below me" a few months previous.

There's work out there for those that really want it, there's no excuse to be on the dole 12+ months (with the exception of disability obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

nessie911 wrote: »
    I feel that the government have made the dole an easy option for most people.

I feel sorry for people who have worked all their lives and have now no other options, but people who have been on long term social benefits drive me crazy.

I am a student and i get a grant of 3420 a year, and people who are my age(under 21) who are on the dole get 100 euro a week i think(correct me if im wrong), so in total get 5200. I have to pay my own rent, food etc. They only have to pay for food, and what ever rent they have to pay they get rent allowance.

Why do they give more to people who are not trying to do something with their lives? Who come straight from school and sign on?
    Not trying to be clever but don't the gov pay your college fees? Thats a minimum of about 3-5k per year depending on your course so in actual fact you get more. We don't seem to appreciate that in this country, education is horrendously expensive in some other countries and I certainly appreciated getting my degree and postgrad paid for by the state, and a maintenance grant on top of that ain't bad IMO. And obviously you are getting a degree which will greatly increase your future income

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭nessie911

mickeyk wrote: »
    Not trying to be clever but don't the gov pay your college fees? Thats a minimum of about 3-5k per year depending on your course so in actual fact you get more. We don't seem to appreciate that in this country, education is horrendously expensive in some other countries and I certainly appreciated getting my degree and postgrad paid for by the state, and a maintenance grant on top of that ain't bad IMO. And obviously you are getting a degree which will greatly increase your future income

Yea my degree cost 3,400 a year, plus 1,500 fees, plus a grant of 3,400 in total is around 8300... But the dole is minim 5,000 and around 10,000 euro if your over 21, they can get a rent allowance, they can get a fuel allowance, a clothes allowance, and even extra food allowance. I will still be in college at 21, so i will be living off way less than people on the dole, before they claim any of the extra allowances that they are allowed.

These people have the same opportunity as me to go to college to get a better future, but they don't need to take it cause they are happy to let the state pay for them to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I think mickeyk's point is that while you live on less, the government is spending more on you than on persons who don't go to university.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    I think mickeyk's point is that while you live on less, the government is spending more on you than on persons who don't go to university.
    Rightfully so. College students = the future of the country. The unemployed = the problem of today.

nessie911 wrote: »
    Yea my degree cost 3,400 a year, plus 1,500 fees, plus a grant of 3,400 in total is around 8300... But the dole is minim 5,000 and around 10,000 euro if your over 21, they can get a rent allowance, they can get a fuel allowance, a clothes allowance, and even extra food allowance. I will still be in college at 21, so i will be living off way less than people on the dole, before they claim any of the extra allowances that they are allowed.

These people have the same opportunity as me to go to college to get a better future, but they don't need to take it cause they are happy to let the state pay for them to stay at home.
    I agree that the money the state are giving you is better spent and there will always be people who will abuse the system while the sytem allows them to do so. When you graduate and find well paid employment your financial sacrafices will be more than justified. You are better off than people on the dole in every way but financially at the moment, and it's true they have the same opportunities as you but college is not for everyone, people should not be allowed bedome career dolers however and the system needs reform definately.

Rightfully so. College students = the future of the country. The unemployed = the problem of today.
    I was unemployed in the last year for 4 months, I had a fantastic job and lost it because of the recession but luckily found something else (not nearly the same money). Most of the unemployed are genuine people down on their luck like I was. Anybody who was unemployed during the boom should be ashamed of themselves but while the dole here is generous i don't begrudge it to anybody that genuinely needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Atwork wrote: »
    How do you know the personal circumstances of "these people" you are talking about. Time to cop on and stop trolling. This kind of nonsense drives me nuts.

When it says "stop accusing people of trolling" that applies to you too. Read the Forum Charter - if you genuinely think people are troling, you report it, if you don't, you're just throwing an insult.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

Rev Blue jeans thanked this post.

He must have a bit of a split personality judging by another post of his

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63324746#post63324746

"I wouldn't make fun of anyone. There but for the grace of god and all that. "

Practice what you preach Reverant...

mickeyk wrote: »
    I was unemployed in the last year for 4 months, I had a fantastic job and lost it because of the recession but luckily found something else (not nearly the same money). Most of the unemployed are genuine people down on their luck like I was. Anybody who was unemployed during the boom should be ashamed of themselves but while the dole here is generous i don't begrudge it to anybody that genuinely needs it.
    Oh absolutely I know there's tonnes upon tonnes of skilled professionals claiming at the moment, however my point was that unemployment is todays problem (and therefore the unemployed not getting work) while the college students are effectively the future of the country. I don't mean that unemployed people, at least genuine unemployed jobseekers, are a problem themselves, it's the fact that they're unemployed and are living off the state that is the problem economically.

Oh absolutely I know there's tonnes upon tonnes of skilled professionals claiming at the moment, however my point was that unemployment is todays problem (and therefore the unemployed not getting work) while the college students are effectively the future of the country. I don't mean that unemployed people, at least genuine unemployed jobseekers, are a problem themselves, it's the fact that they're unemployed and are living off the state that is the problem economically.
    Ok sorry I thought you were taking a swipe at the unemployed, my mistake, and it is a huge problem I agree.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    When it says "stop accusing people of trolling" that applies to you too. Read the Forum Charter - if you genuinely think people are troling, you report it, if you don't, you're just throwing an insult.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Fair enough, but after reading post number 73 i felt I wouldnt be accusing anybody of trolling since it had already being highlighted and confirmed by a moderator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 StevoC

Does anyone know what the story is for getting paid over Christmas.. Im new to this dole lark and would think that the public sector is closing down over the Christmas period. Do we get one cheque for a number of weeks or do we still need to claim from the post office over the period.. is the post office even open over Christmas and to what dates?? If anybody knows the answer it would be much appreciated.. I checked the Welfare site and An post and surprise surprise I was able to find f**k all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Isn't it just a payment for the week of Christmas and New Years [when the Offices are closed] that they are getting and not an actual Christmas Bonus?

Advertisement