Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting text messages with numbers only

• 17-11-2009 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

Hello everyone - Have a Nokia N97 that was working fine until recently.

Now when I receive a text from contacts that I have already stored in my phone only the number shows up and not the senders name - anyone got an idea on how to solve this??:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

usually happens if you have the persons number saved twice, maybe as two different names or slight;y different spellings.
    Either way the number is stored in your phone twice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Do you mean that the numbers would be on both the sim & the phone memory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Or entered twice in the phone memory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

quite possible, did you do a copy or a backup/restore from your PC or anything recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭missgwish

yes number saved twice, could be on phone or sim memory, or both.

• Advertisement

Checked the sim - I only have one number on it so my contacts must be saved in the memory twice!! Just wonder how I sort this one out?? I did restore from the PC recently........:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭missgwish

unfortuantly there's no easy way! you'll just have to go down through the contacts manually!

Had a look at the contacts - went to options and memory details - just says 360 contacts - wonder how I find where the doubles are.....:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

kilsmum wrote: »
    Had a look at the contacts - went to options and memory details - just says 360 contacts - wonder how I find where the doubles are.....:(:(:(

When you open contacts and scroll down, do you see everything doubled?

Nothing just exactly as they always are - no doubles:(:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

This is difficult to explain succinctly...

If you use Outlook or another database program, (some open source equivalent maybe?)...or Lotus or Palm Desktop...even something like various 3rd party S60 applications that use the contacts database (maybe to manage text messages?) I know what's going on.

It may appear to you that the phone is writing to the exact same data "container" as outlook when it stores the phone number.

Often it's not, it's just "guessing".

If you export your phone's contact database to an XLS, or export your outlook database to an XLS, you will see the duplicate numbers.

HOPEFULLY all the duplicate number will be in the same data container. This will mean that they will be in the same column of the spreadsheet.
    If that's the cause, Bob's your uncle, you delete that column, save the modified XLS and import that into Outlook, then sync your phone with Outlook.

What often happens though is that the duplicates are NOT all in the same column. Then you have a right mess and have to go through the XLS row by row deleting the duplicates by hand.

THEN save the modified XLS, reimport into Outlook etc.

Explaining how all this happens would take a really long time, just trust me sometimes it does happen.

I could do a separate thread on this if someone is interested.

Bottom line, export your contacts database to a spreadsheet you'll see the invisible duplicates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

kilsmum wrote: »
    Nothing just exactly as they always are - no doubles:(:(:(:(

In contacts > settings > have you set contacts to display to phone memory,
    default saving memory to phone memory.

Yes and Yes Davy to both your questions - Thanks Kilsmum

Fergal, yes I do use Outlook - I'll try your suggestion and let you know how I get on.

Thanks to you and everyone else that have kindly offered suggestions on how to sort it out - Much appreciated:):):) Kilsmum

Advertisement