Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 Million Africans -EU

Options
  • 17-11-2009 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

I have read on many sites that over the coming years 50 million Africans will be allowed into the EU for work and will also be allowed social benefits.Europe's population is getting old, so we need all these Africans,so it says.They will be given a blue card, something very similar to the American green card.

50 MILLION PEOPLE
    Personally I don't want Ireland to be like the uk.
    Welcome to Europe.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

I have read on many sites

The Daily Mail and the Sun?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Europe's population is getting old, so we need all these Africans,so it says.
    You don't think Europe's population is getting old? You don't think we'll need immigrants to pay for our pensions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

oscarBravo wrote: »
    You don't think Europe's population is getting old? You don't think we'll need immigrants to pay for our pensions?

Are immigrants eternal? Hate to break it to you, but they will need pensions too.

MarkK wrote: »
    The Daily Mail and the Sun?

The Daily Express actually. Heres the article I believe the OP was referring too.

AN EU job centre for migrants 

seeking work in Europe has been opened secretly in the West 

African state of Cape Verde.

The project is the second phase of a Brussels tax-funded plan to invite more than 50 million African workers into Britain and other members of the 27-nation EU bloc.

The advice centre, based in the island nation’s poverty-stricken capital Praia, follows a similar job centre opened in the desert 

African state of Mali in October.

The project is part of the EU’s controversial plan to help Africans find work legally in Europe.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/78180/50million-invited-to-Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

PaulieD wrote: »
    The Daily Express actually. Heres the article I believe the OP was referring too.

African state of Cape Verde.

The project is the second phase of a Brussels tax-funded plan to invite more than 50 million African workers into Britain and other members of the 27-nation EU bloc.

The advice centre, based in the island nation’s poverty-stricken capital Praia, follows a similar job centre opened in the desert 

African state of Mali in October.

The project is part of the EU’s controversial plan to help Africans find work legally in Europe.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/78180/50million-invited-to-Europe
    Usual British anti-EU bullsh...t

• Advertisement

Are immigrants eternal? Hate to break it to you, but they will need pensions too.
    I wasn't aware that a work permit entitled you to a pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,687 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Is this part of the Barcalona initiative? (in which case it doesnt apply to Ireland or England as its a mediterranian focused scheme.) Or is the piece completely lacking in details beside Nigel Farrage's incompetance?

African state of Cape Verde

I love how its always *secret* with anything the EU does.

Its not secret if you couldnt be arsed to report about it.

This is as bad as that time as the European Parliament *secretly* gave the british MEP's a payrise just before the european elections. Except of course it was decided in 2005 and the *payrise* was actually the British currency going to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

So hard to find the various press releases and announcements surrounding the "secret" Mobility Partnership with Cape Verde...

amused,
    Scofflaw

those f*cking idiots.

Why cant people fact check anymore in newspapers?
    The partnership reflects Cape Verde's expectations, particularly as regards facilitation short stay for its nationals on European Union territory, and those of the European Union as regards combating illegal immigration and readmission.

The partnership provides for the setting up in Praia of a joint centre which will accept applications for short-stay visas, promoting improvements in the arrangements for the movement of people and legal migration, and building Cape Verde's capacity to manage migration, notably by developing a centre designed to implement measures for the information, integration and protection of migrants and returnees. There are also plans to improve the efficiency of workers' migration procedures and to develop job opportunities both in Cape Verde and abroad.
    As regards combating illegal immigration, the partnership is designed to combat illegal migration and trafficking in human beings and to strengthen management of the borders and document security, notably by building Cape Verde's capacity in the field of maritime security, the use of new information and communication technologies and training in checking documents. Initiatives relating to border controls should also be facilitated by the establishment of an operational arrangement between Cape Verde and Frontex.

from: http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/08/894&format=HTML&aged=0&language=en&guiLanguage=en

also the date june 2008 (yeah a sudden secret plan...)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I wasn't aware that a work permit entitled you to a pension.
    But it lets you stay in the country long enough to be entitled for citizenship.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    But it lets you stay in the country long enough to be entitled apply for citizenship.
    FYP.

Why is that a bad thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I have read on many sites that over the coming years ...(.....)....

I read that the Earth is 6,000 years young!!!!!

(O, and they found the Ark too).
    Blitzkrieg wrote:

...because it would deprive their fairly xenophobic readership of their "O Noes!!!" adrenaline rush.

I note Romanians have slipped off the radar as the Express' 'Threat To All We Hold Dear'......

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Facts are boring.
    Newspapers such as the Express are in the business of spinning half-truths into "shocking" stories to get their reader's blood pumping in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

FYP.

Why is that a bad thing?
    You didn't fix my post, you edited it.
    I would like to edit it back:
    Iwasfrozen wrote:
    But it lets you stay in the country long enough to be entitled for citizenship.
    That's better.
    As for the reason why opening up of borders to immigration is a bad thing, well. I'll leave that for your logic.

FYP.

Why is that a bad thing?

As they will require pensions too. So we are back at square one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

As they will require pensions too. So we are back at square one.

to apply for citizenship by naturalization you have to have worked for over 5 years with no gaps, have no criminal record and not claim any weflare (including unemployment prsi benefit)

and then you have to wait another 3 years for the application to be processed, all while still working, paying taxes, not claiming welfare

you know i would hapilly trade all the 100,000 wasters we have who milk the dole for hardworking immigrants, sending them scumbags that populate parts of limerick/dublin to africa wont be a bad idea

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    you know i would hapilly trade all the 100,000 wasters we have who milk the dole for hardworking immigrants, sending them scumbags that populate parts of limerick/dublin to africa wont be a bad idea

And replace them with whom? Nigerians? Well, 62% of them were unemployed during the boom too.

Look, importing millions of Africans into europe is lunacy. We are having major problems integrating the ones here already. Not to mention the lack of jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I have read on many sites that ...

What sites, as a matter of interest?

I know that someone has linked to the Express already, but that alone isn't "many sites", its "one source".

The reason I ask is that a quick google on "50 Million Africans EU" turned up the following:

In place 1 & 2, we have the Daily Express
    In position 3, we have GalliaWatch, referencing the Daily Express
    Spot 4...is abovetopsecret, again, referencing the Daily Express
    In 5th ...afcricancrisis, referencing the Daily Express
    6th...this thread.
    7th...The Romanian National Vanguard News Agency (no, really, it was) ...referencing the Daily Express
    8th...Those nice people at stormfront, referencing the Daily Express
    9th...Surprise...its this thread, again!
    10th...off topic entirely. A miss from google.

So, given that 20% of the first page of hits on google are this thread, 20% are the Daily Express, another 70% are referencing it directly, and the remaining 10% is a complete miss...I'm wondering just what these "many sites" are.

I suspect that you've seen a small handful of sites repeat a claim made by the Daily Express....a claim which others have already shown here to be somewhat artistic with the portrayal of the facts.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...because it would deprive their fairly xenophobic readership of their "O Noes!!!" adrenaline rush.

I note Romanians have slipped off the radar as the Express' 'Threat To All We Hold Dear'......

Opposed to your orgasimic reaction to the news. More "diversity", "enrichment", and "colour" than you can shake a stick at. No doubt you would see this as a most welcome development.

And replace them with whom? Nigerians? Well, 62% of them were unemployed during the boom too.

Look, importing millions of Africans into europe is lunacy. We are having major problems integrating the ones here already. Not to mention the lack of jobs.

62%? really?? source???

90% of statistics are made up on the spot they say

and where in this whole thing is there mention of Ireland

as i pointed out to you to qualify for naturalisation here you need to have over 8 years of paid prsi employment, no welfare claims and no criminal record (including penalty points)

ill say it again, over 8 years

• Advertisement

Look, importing millions of Africans into europe is lunacy.

Would be lunacy, don't you mean?

And shouldn't that be "Cape Verdians"? After all, thats where this not-so-secret center has been set up.

Of course, it wouldn't be lunacy to bring 50,000,000 Cape Verdians to the EU in the coming years, it would be a physical impossibility, given that the country has a population of 1% of that....unless by "coming years" we mean "next few centuries".

Lets also note that when Cape Verde is referred to as a "West African State", its not much less inaccurate then saying that Ireland is a North-African neighbour. CV is an island archipelago, some 600km off the nearest point of mainland Africa.

Nodin / PaulieD....

lets not lose the run of ourselves here.

62%? really?? source???

Sure.

Now this reliance upon the state for the accommodation of so many Nigerians reflects another rather uncomfortable truth which was revealed in the 2006 census, but which has never -- so far as I know -- been highlighted in the media. It is this contrary to almost all predictions about the impact of immigrants upon an economy, a majority of Nigerians are not economically active at all. For even at the height of the boom, in 2006, only 38pc over the age of 15 were at work.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/risible-lies-about-immigrants-no-substitute-for-honest-debate-1456226.html

Anyway, there are more countries than just Nigeria in africa.

We do have problems with a large demographic of "dolers" in this country. Importing more to keep them company will not solve the problem.
    90% of statistics are made up on the spot they say

Dunno.
    and where in this whole thing is there mention of Ireland

Sorry?

as i pointed out to you to qualify for naturalisation here you need to have over 8 years of paid prsi employment, no welfare claims and no criminal record (including penalty points)

I thought you can apply after five years in the country(other than students and asylum seekers), but there is a three year back log? So unofficially, its eight years?
    ill say it again, over 8 years

I understood you the first time. So if we import 56 million africans by 2050, all of whom will have obtained citizenship. We will be in a much worse position than we are in now, as we will have to provide pensions for a larger population. Its a vicous circle, wont you agree?

wont you agree?

as i said earlier id rather 100,000 qualified hard working immigrants (whatever their color) who have to work hard and be law abiding

than the scumbags of the same number who deal drugs, dont bother working and chav around

the same people who didnt take the jobs when there were plenty, why work on minimum wage when you get more on dole

as for the kevin myers (of all the people :rolleyes:) opinion article
    do remember that people who are waiting on assylum application

are not allowed to work legaly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    You didn't fix my post, you edited it.
    I would like to edit it back:

That's better.
    As for the reason why opening up of borders to immigration is a bad thing, well. I'll leave that for your logic.

Do you know the difference between being eligible for something and being entitled to something? The difference is somewhat nuanced and sometimes people can use the terms interchangeable, but they are not the same.

as i said earlier id rather 100,000 qualified hard working immigrants (whatever their color) who have to work hard and be law abiding

Where will they work? Hate to break this to you, but per capita, there are more immigrants on the dole than Irish citizens. Foreign nationals make up 20% of the live registar, while only making up 10-15% of our overall population.
    the same people who didnt take the jobs when there were plenty, why work on minimum wage when you get more on dole

I agree. There were around 150,000 "dolers" who remained unemployed during the good times. Id love to have heard their excuses for remaining unemployed , considering an eastern european with limited English could find a job within weeks of entering the state. Oh, to be a fly on the wall in the dole office.
    why work on minimum wage when you get more on dole

Why indeed. I despise dole leeches, all 150,000 of them, both Irish and foreign born. Ive a mate who has been on the dole since he left school. According to his Facebook profile and his most recent update, he is now on his way down to McDonalds, to get served by somebody who earns less than him, even though he has never worked a day in his life. He will be in the pub tomorrow evening and possibly the bookies too, getting served by somebody who earns less than him, despit working late hours. Himself and his other half are both on the scratcher, shes doing some FAS course. Their rent is covered by rent allowance, hes on JSA, shes on a FAS course, and the receive child benefit for their two babogs. Babog number three is on the way in seven months.:rolleyes:
    as for the kevin myers (of all the people :rolleyes:) opinion article
    do remember that people who are waiting on assylum application

He backs his figures up with stats from the Central Statistics Office. How many Nigerians were waiting for their claims to be processed for asylum in 2006?
    are not allowed to work legaly

True, but that will change if labour enter government.;)

There seems to be a huge jump in logic on this thread.

As someone clearly pointed out already, there is a very strict requirement to apply for citizenship.

Yet comments like this:
    I understood you the first time. So if we import 56 million africans by 2050, all of whom will have obtained citizenship. We will be in a much worse position than we are in now, as we will have to provide pensions for a larger population. Its a vicous circle, wont you agree?

Considering there is hardly enough work at the moment to keep a population of 4 and half million people employed, I cannot for the life of me fanthom where the f*ck we are suddenly going to pull out 56 million permanent jobs that will last for 8 years consistenly.

The intial issue has been shown to be scaremongering. Its a programme for short term visas and the strengthening of anti illiegal immigrant policies. Yet somehow we have a number of people here fixated on the idea that we are intending to import wholesale from africa when its clearly not the case.

We turn to the whole *nigerians are thieves* debate and while its partly true, you ignore the issue that none of them on the dole will ever be entitled for citizenship if they remain on the dole, so again its another pointless argument. And more importantly that this policy put forward by the EU is a step forward in weeding out these illegal immigrants in the first place.

Jesus people just want a reason to whinge.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    There seems to be a huge jump in logic on this thread.

As someone clearly pointed out already, there is a very strict requirement to apply for citizenship.

Yet comments like this:

Considering there is hardly enough work at the moment to keep a population of 4 and half million people employed, I cannot for the life of me fanthom where the f*ck we are suddenly going to pull out 56 million permanent jobs that will last for 8 years consistenly.

The intial issue has been shown to be scaremongering. Its a programme for short term visas and the strengthening of anti illiegal immigrant policies. Yet somehow we have a number of people here fixated on the idea that we are intending to import wholesale from africa when its clearly not the case.

We turn to the whole *nigerians are thieves* debate and while its partly true, you ignore the issue that none of them on the dole will ever be entitled for citizenship if they remain on the dole, so again its another pointless argument. And more importantly that this policy put forward by the EU is a step forward in weeding out these illegal immigrants in the first place.

Jesus people just want a reason to whinge.

exactly

the guy still hasnt provided the source for this tabloid trash

and thats all it is, trash

i hate (hmm the irony! :eek:) racists, nationalists and xenophobes, articles like the above and similar tactics where used before in last century to stir up **** and we ended up with concentration camps and countless genocides

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

why would immigrants come to Ireland now??, no jobs, dole cuts, pay cuts, poor quality of life... I think they would migrate to countries like the UK, Bulgaria, Romania, Germany, France, Spain... etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

CamperMan wrote: »
    why would immigrants come to Ireland now??, no jobs, dole cuts, pay cuts, poor quality of life... I think they would migrate to countries like the UK, Bulgaria, Romania, Germany, France, Spain... etc.

Even if the dole was cut by 30% it would still be higher than the countries named above

And as for Quality of life, we are way ahead of 95% of the world......

Your point makes no sense!

Advertisement