Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 Million Africans -EU

Options
12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

djpbarry wrote: »
    How so?

Do you still think mass immigration into Ireland has been a good thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

PaulieD wrote: »
    What obligations?

Why don't you look it up on the EU website, or are you being obtuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,687 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Just out of curiosity and I'm probably gonna cause an absolute sh*tstorm by this (Scofflow feel free to delete if so) but...

Has anyone here actually had a work related problem with immigration personnally

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity and I'm probably gonna cause an absolute sh*tstorm by this (Scofflow feel free to delete if so) but...

Has anyone here actually had a work related problem with immigration personnally

I could write a book, but I would probably get infracted.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Not being able to get a job (and I mean before the recession).

I know so many businesses that only hire foreigners (particularly foreign women). Mind you, the management of these same companies tend to be Irish (and predominantly male). :D

Dey tuk ur jabs

Edit: but then again, the OP was about immigration from Africa. I haven't seen all that many African immigrants working (particularly African men) - but then again that generates the whole issue of welfare (which in my opinion is no real short-term concern of ours).

Actually, come to think of it, in the last job that I had (temporary work where about 200 people were hired) only around 60 people were Irish (this was a few months ago).

• Advertisement

Not being able to get a job (and I mean before the recession).

I know so many businesses that only hire foreigners (particularly foreign women). Mind you, the management of these same companies tend to be Irish (and predominantly male). :D

Boycott them.
    Actually, come to think of it, in the last job that I had (temporary work where about 200 people were hired) only around 60 people were Irish (this was a few months ago).

The job I have, out of 100 odd employees, there are 16 Irish.:(

Boycott them.

:(

I would in all likelihood starve if I took that course of action.

Not that that would affect their business in any meaningful fashion (who would starve with me?)

And besides which, I don't think the buck stops with such businesses (even if their hiring practices are technically illegal) but rather, the government. But hell, what party will ever even mention immigration in their manifestos, let alone do anything about it (laissez faire all the way - far too hot a potato to be worth handling - if I was a politician I certainly would do nothing)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

I am not sure that "immigrant" is the correct term for one of our fellow (EU) citizens moving to live here with us in Ireland.

There is probably an official term buried away somewhere that covers this just as there is probably an official term that covers someone who moves from Kerry to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

View wrote: »
    an official term that covers someone who moves from Kerry to Dublin.

The unofficial term would be culchie.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I am not sure that "immigrant" is the correct term for one of our fellow (EU) citizens moving to live here with us in Ireland.

There is probably an official term buried away somewhere that covers this just as there is probably an official term that covers someone who moves from Kerry to Dublin.

The term economic migrant is used to describe Slavs working in Ireland.

Are you comparing a Kerry man moving to Dublin for work with a Pole doing the same?

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »

Those moving in the opposite direction would be considered dulchies. I was a dulchie myself, for a whole two weeks. Got home sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Those moving in the opposite direction would be considered dulchies. I was a dulchie myself, for a whole two weeks. Got home sick.

Exactly.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Exactly.

I missed the culturally enriched, diverse, colourful and vibrant experience I have become accustomed to.

The countryside is too Irish. It needs more ethnic diversity, especially Donegal. Its very ghastly, too white if you ask me.;)

I am not sure that is the correct official term, altough it maybe. For instance, whereas the general public might talk about "Foreigners", the laws talk about "Aliens" (no, not ET). However, EU citizens are not Aliens (legally speaking).
    Are you comparing a Kerry man moving to Dublin for work with a Pole doing the same?

Yes. One is your fellow Irish citizen moving to Dublin for work. The other your fellow EU citizen moving to Dublin for work. You share citizenship with both of them.

Yes. One is your fellow Irish citizen moving to Dublin for work. The other your fellow EU citizen moving to Dublin for work. You share citizenship with both of them.

I most certainly do not. I am an Irish man, I share citizenship with my fellow kin. To call me anything other than an Irish man is a grave insult.

Most people from the other cities would use that term for the people from rural areas. Inhabitants of Cork City would not regard themselves as being culchies by any means. After all, they actually live in a City whereas large chunks of the population of the Dublin Region don't as they live in DLR, South Dublin and Fingal which of course are not part of Dublin City at all. :)

(Runs for cover...)

I most certainly do not. I am an Irish man, I share citizenship with my fellow kin. To call me anything other than an Irish man is a grave insult.

I hate to break it to you but you most certainly are an EU citizen as well as being an Irish citizen. All Irish citizens are EU citizens (You can't be an Irish citizen without being an EU citizen). Hence, you also share citizenship with all other EU citizens. They all are our "fellow kin" as well.

To paraphrase Woody Guthrie's song, "This land (the EU) was made for you and me..." :)

PS Relevant Treaty that introduced the concept was the Treaty on European Union (Maastricht). Approved of course in a referendum by your fellow Irish citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I missed the culturally enriched, diverse, colourful and vibrant experience I have become accustomed to.

The countryside is too Irish. It needs more ethnic diversity, especially Donegal. Its very ghastly, too white if you ask me.;)

Considering that the overwhelming majority of immigrants in this country are "white", I find your continued obsession with skin colour telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Do you still think mass immigration into Ireland has been a good thing?
    No. I don’t like mass.

Immigration on the other hand, yes, I do. Why? Well for starters, in the absence of immigration, I wouldn’t have a wife.
    Only Slavs? Why is that?
    What’s the difference? One is moving to Dublin to work, the other is... moving to Dublin to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

But hell, what party will ever even mention immigration in their manifestos, let alone do anything about it (laissez faire all the way - far too hot a potato to be worth handling - if I was a politician I certainly would do nothing)
    Laissez-faire? Really? So there’s nothing preventing someone from, say, Peru, hopping on a plane tomorrow to get to Dublin to work? Nothing at all?

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    Laissez-faire? Really? So there’s nothing preventing someone from, say, Peru, hopping on a plane tomorrow to get to Dublin to work? Nothing at all?

There's some legal restrictions - but the point is that there is no political action taken. There isn't even a political discussion about it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There's some legal restrictions - but the point is that there is no political action taken. There isn't even a political discussion about it.
    What political action, or political discussion for that matter, is required on the subject of a Peruvian trying to move to Ireland?

Advertisement