Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geoghan-Quinn for Commissioner

Options
  • 17-11-2009 4:34pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1117/eu1.html

Not exactly a surprise. I'm sure she'll make a competent commissioner, but I can't help wondering to what extent the shadow of affirmative action will hang over her, given all the recent talk of the importance of a gender-balanced commission.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm looking for a word to describe this.........
    underwhelming

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Good choice I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Too long out of the game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It would be a tad unfair to put it down solely to the gender balance being sought by Barosso. I still would have preferred Cox to get it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Too long out of the game imo.

Maire Geoghegan-Has-Been?

To be fair, though, she's only been out of the Irish domestic political game - which, given she's Fianna Fáil, is probably no bad thing. Also, she's almost exactly the same age as McCreevy, so she's hardly too old for the post either.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Maire Geoghegan-Has-Been?

To be fair, though, she's only been out of the Irish domestic political game - which, given she's Fianna Fáil, is probably no bad thing. Also, she's almost exactly the same age as McCreevy, so she's hardly too old for the post either.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

No problem with her age at all.

These links to Declan Ganley and his business are a cause for concern possibly. Me thinks we need some clarifacation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Should have been Cox. Its a joke that FF would continue to look inside the tent. The Court of Auditors seat is now free, guess Eoin Ryan will be back in employment in the coming weeks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Het-Field wrote: »
    Should have been Cox. Its a joke that FF would continue to look inside the tent.
    Absolutely. And references to Barrosso's desire for female commissioners is simply an attempt to cover up the fact that Cowen is as traditional FF as you can get and couldn't bring himself to pick someone from outside the inner FF circle.

A real shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

taconnol wrote: »
    Absolutely. And references to Barrosso's desire for female commissioners is simply an attempt to cover up the fact that Cowen is as traditional FF as you can get and couldn't bring himself to pick someone from outside the inner FF circle.

A real shame.

Posturing like that is sickening. However, Fianna Fail are consumate at it ! While not attempting to impugn MGQ's CV, Cox is one of European Politics most respected men. He would have been guaranteed a huge portfolio, which would have had knock on benefits for Ireland and the EU. MGQ has been gone from electoral politics for 12 1/2 years. However, she was clearly the most credible FF candidate. They didnt want a by-election, and didnt want to look cynical by putting up Eoin Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

A tribal decision from a petty, blinkered and benighted Fianna Fáil taoiseach. Pat Cox should have been nominated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Het-Field wrote: »
    ... Cox is one of European Politics most respected men. He would have been guaranteed a huge portfolio, which would have had knock on benefits for Ireland and the EU.

Despite the "keep our commissioner" slogan, it should be remembered that commissioners are appointed for the benefit of all people in the EU, not for the benefit of their country of origin.
    MGQ has been gone from electoral politics for 12 1/2 years...

What has that got to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Typical FF choice, ex teacher who only got elected coz her Daddy died , usual irish crap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭donkey balls

rasper wrote: »
    Typical FF choice, ex teacher who only got elected coz her Daddy died , usual irish crap

+clowen& calamity cock up coughlan anyone got an idea how many TD/Ministers from all party sides got elected the same way?

I'd say it'd be easier to count the number TDs who are first generations and actually stood for election because they actually believed in something, I mean WTF is wrong with us

I believe Eamon Ryan is the only minister on our cabinet with any business background, thats scary

rasper wrote: »
    I'd say it'd be easier to count the number TDs who are first generations and actually stood for election because they actually believed in something, I mean WTF is wrong with us

I believe Eamon Ryan is the only minister on our cabinet with any business background, thats scary

I believe John Gormley ran an academy for European languages before entering politics...

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I believe John Gormley ran an academy for European languages before entering politics...

amused,
    Scofflaw

he was a german language teacher in FAS

he was a german language teacher in FAS

So that claim is a "Bertie the Accountant" one? Fair enough.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

If only he was an accountant , then again a friend of mine is and he's a hard core gambler be it online poker or shares , right up Berties alley I'd say

Advertisement