Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual City

Options
  • 17-11-2009 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

I've got this idea...

How about Tralee and Killarney combining to be the first Virtual City.
    Let's face it, neither of us will ever make it on our own... but TOGETHER?

thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

fresca wrote: »
    I've got this idea...

thoughts?

okay interesting idea there fresca, could you elaborate some more on this idea/virtual city? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Isn't there a mutual dislike between natives of both towns?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ Yes.

And wtf is a virtual city?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I've got this idea...

thoughts?

Relocate both centers of excellence to Farranfore!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

kerry4sam wrote: »
    okay interesting idea there fresca, could you elaborate some more on this idea/virtual city? :)
    Sure.
    Neither town qualifies (or will ever) as a city.
    Yet both towns make a significant contribution to the county as a whole.
    At a very high level ... Killarney is the key tourist centre of ireland and also has the largest maunfacturing company (liebherr) in the county (as far as i know).
    Tralee is the admin capital, has the largest population, main centre of education (ITT) and is effectively a service centre. it also has some tourist attractions and is a gateway to west kerry.

So I propose a City of Kerry - consisting of a defined link between two city centres.
    Some other ideas:
    - abolish both local councils and set up one city council
    - abolish both chambers of commerce and establish one city chamber charge with bringing employment to the city
    - establish a regular commuter train between both towns, serving the airport - could then run inter-city trains to killarney only?

Just think what it could do for the sout west to have a City of Kerry with an airport smack bang in the centre.

Yes, we would need a high-quality-dual-carriageway serving the two City Centres.

The basis for my argument is this:
    - this recession is going to last a while
    - it is going to last longer in the more marginal areas of europe (that's the south west of ireland - that's us).
    - what can WE do to work ourselves out of it? ... well we can change the way we have done business in the past... we can set aside our petty local differences and acknowledge the fact that the two towns are stronger united that seperate.

just a thought, guys...

Forgot to clarify.... it's Virtual because it is not one physical entity.
    For example, Budapest is actual two cities (Buda and Pest) seperated by the river Danube, join by the Chain Bridge.
    The City of Kerry could be two centres.... seperated by an Airport (and 30km of roadway!!!), joined by a Single (virtual) Goal.

O, and so that all the historic tourist value could be maintained ... Killarney tourism organisations can market themselves as Killarney - City of Kerry. Tralee may want to change it's image slightly and market itself as City of Kerry. but that's ok too... it effectively is a city already (has a lot of "city" issues").

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭l3m0n5

And what will we call this Mecca? Tillarney or Kralee:D

l3m0n5 wrote: »
    City of Kerry ... as outlined above.

Thanks for your clarification. I had a different notion in mind on this virtual city so thanks for answering and explaining where you were coming from.

Irrespective of what my personal opinion is of this, lets just keep that aside for now; What do you think the first three steps should be for the people of Kerry who would support this idea should take?

What do you think the first three steps should be for the people of Kerry who would support this idea should take?
    1. idea definition
    - evolution of the concept into a coherent goal
    2. idea proposal
    - proposal of this idea to the people of kerry and evolution of same based on feedback
    3. implementation
    - turning the dream into reality

not sure, we'd ever even get out of step 1.

i wonder would the National Spatial Strategy support another city in the south west?
    A City of Kerry might do something to stop the depopulation of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If they combined, there'd be Northsiders and Southsiders like Dublin.:eek:

• Advertisement

1. idea definition
    - evolution of the concept into a coherent goal
    2. idea proposal
    - proposal of this idea to the people of kerry and evolution of same based on feedback
    3. implementation
    - turning the dream into reality

not sure, we'd ever even get out of step 1.

i wonder would the National Spatial Strategy support another city in the south west?
    A City of Kerry might do something to stop the depopulation of the county.

Have you presented this idea to any powers that be or are you just carrying out some field research at the moment? Where is this coming from fresca? It sounds intriguing to me right now.

Have you presented this idea to any powers that be or are you just carrying out some field research at the moment? Where is this coming from fresca? It sounds intriguing to me right now.
    Just floating the idea out there.
    You guys are the first to hear it from me...

The idea is coming from 2 thoughts that i have had for a while now...

1. they're seems to be a lack of vision about where kerry as a county is going. what kind of future do we want for ourselves & our children? why can't we, as a community / society, strive to make our lives better?

2. i think that we need to do something radical, for and by ourselves, to address (1) above

Establishing a new city on the south west coast, creating a partnership between two key components of the county would be pretty radical?

I look at the opportunity that it would create.

Any suggestions on how to take this further would be welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

City of Kerry ...

+1

...or Kerry City?

I think this is a great idea. I always thought it was a shame that there county town of Kerry is not called Kerry, like Dublin, Tipperary, Cork, Galway, Carlow, etc

I also think its a great idea to do something during the recession, as the alternative is to do nothing and just wait and see if we survive.

You lead, fresca, and I will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Just floating the idea out there.
    You guys are the first to hear it from me...

The idea is coming from 2 thoughts that i have had for a while now...

1. they're seems to be a lack of vision about where kerry as a county is going. what kind of future do we want for ourselves & our children? why can't we, as a community / society, strive to make our lives better?

2. i think that we need to do something radical, for and by ourselves, to address (1) above

Establishing a new city on the south west coast, creating a partnership between two key components of the county would be pretty radical?

I look at the opportunity that it would create.

Any suggestions on how to take this further would be welcomed.

A few thoughts from an ancient one.
    Cities evolve for a particular reason, in a particular place , see Craigavon in the North, which except for a very large hospital in the middle of nowhere could hardly be claimed to be a success.
    A city needs a hinterland to support it, again look North and see how Derry suffered from being cut off from its natural hinterland of Donegal.
    People forget how very tribal we are in Kerry, one big tribe for the day at the All Ireland but breaking into many smaller factions after that.
    At best it could be whittled down to a North/South divide with a vague dividing line somewhere around Farranfore.
    North of that people look towards Limerick as the Baile Mor, and there's no doubt that the Cork (sorry) Irish Examiner has better sale in Killarney than Tralee.
    I would suggest that both towns are just about adequate for their local areas,
    a forced marriage would lead to more problems than benefits.
    Better planning and vision by our leaders both Official and Elected for the county as a whole would be much more beneficial.
    I would think it will be another generation at least before the infrastructure that we need will get going again.
    I'm not pouring cold water on this idea, the more we have the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Even Dublin would not be able to create that much urban sprawl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Springfield join with Shelbyville?
    NEVER!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

l3m0n5 wrote: »
    i was thinking of Trallarney or Killee meself

Advertisement