Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reality in the Private Sector

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

seangal wrote: »
    well with waht this county has gone through in the last week we are worth it
    public sector worked 24 hours a day since thursday in cork
    what did the private sector retail do????????
    doubled the price of drinking water and water bottles
    shame on private sector again showing there greed that destroyed this country

yes and by all accounts did a very good job too, so they did it for free did they?? I'm sorry its whats expected, they chose these jobs. if the company I work for experienced a crisis of similar proportions, I would have to work the same, and would not get paid decent overtime for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

well with what this county has gone through in the last week we are worth it

I was able to buy water at normal prices in Cork all through the incident, so you're talking crap mate. Just because some shops might indulge in such distasteful price gouging does not mean they all were and to blame all the private sector for such behaviour is just silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

well with what this county has gone through in the last week we are worth it

yeah like no public servants in any other country ever had to go that extra mile during freakish weather , i wouldnt waste your breath crowing about how heroic the public servants were in dealing with the floods , the unions will never shut up about it in the coming weeks , dont expect RTE to point to the fact that the majority of those helping were volunteers though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Just because some shops might indulge in such distasteful price gouging does not mean they all were and to blame all the private sector for such behaviour is just silly.

It is no more silly than the assertion that all of the public sector are lazy, and useless. Something which is repeated here again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

irish_bob wrote: »
    yeah like no public servants in any other country ever had to go that extra mile during freakish weather ,

I am not surprised that you cannot bring yourself to give any credit to any public service workers...you cannot see past your prejudices.....no one is saying the public service workers were "heroic", just that they reacted appropriately and have, correctly, postponed their strike action to continue to do their job as they are particularly needed

you apparantly see the negative in everything

ah sure the firemen, guards, army, civil defence (and their vehicles and equipment) were not needed at all ....... the local farmers did everything!...its an RTE conspiracy.....etc

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »
    I am not surprised that you cannot bring yourself to give any credit to any public service workers...you cannot see past your prejudices.....no one is saying the public service workers were "heroic", just that they reacted appropriately and have, correctly, postponed their strike action to continue to do their job as they are particularly needed

you apparantly see the negative in everything

ah sure the firemen, guards, army, civil defence (and their vehicles and equipment) were not needed at all ....... the local farmers did everything!...its an RTE conspiracy.....etc

not at all , i am not criticising the huge efforts by the various arms of the state , i was criticising the cynicism which is starting to show itself already , im talking about those be it unions or otherwise who are pointing to the floods as a reason why public sector pay should not be touched , btw , not only have those who back the public sector at every turn not mentioned the equal efforts by ordinary civilians in dealing with the flood damage , i myself was told in after hours that it was public servants and only public servants who were rolling up thier sleeves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

irish_bob wrote: »
    not at all , i am not criticising the huge efforts by the various arms of the state

fair enough so
    , i was criticising the cynicism which is starting to show itself already , im talking about those be it unions or otherwise who are pointing to the floods as a reason why public sector pay should not be touched

I haven't seen anything like that...not disagreeing just have not seen....can you point to any?
    btw , not only have those who back the public sector at every turn not mentioned the equal efforts by ordinary civilians in dealing with the flood damage

well , if it makes you fell a bit better Bob, I agree that the general effort by people in the regions concerned was welcome (its a pity that they have to be divided up into public and private at all.....it was basically a response by all people living in these areas)

i myself was told in after hours that it was public servants and only public servants who were rolling up thier sleeves

well thats plainly rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

The fact is that the public sector that was required stood up and did the job. They did not have to do it they could have gone home like everybody else as they are so overpaid they would not need the overtime.
    But now the local people will face massive insurance price once again by private sector companies who employ over paid private sector employees
    greed greed greed once again in the private sector
    They will even try and screw all off us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

The fact is that the public sector that was required stood up and did the job. They did not have to do it they could have gone home like everybody else as they are so overpaid they would not need the overtime.
    But now the local people will face massive insurance price once again by private sector companies who employ over paid private sector employees
    greed greed greed once again in the private sector
    They will even try and screw all off us

I`ve seen people stay working massive overtime at a 24 hour (private )production plants when something critical has gone tits up, they didnt do for the money nor approval, but because if they let something that was there responsibility fail they would be out the gap so fast there head would spin.

Thats not a slight on anybody (employee or volunteer) who did good work during the flood. But its fair to say in some jobs you have responsibility if something goes wrong and you cant just turn around at 5 o`clock and say its home time, and I cant imagine it happening in the private sector any more than the public sector (with the exception of any place that has "certain" unions who can make responsibility disappear).

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

Fair play to those who worked hard to help those caught in the floods... but it is their job to do that. Often times I've been in here working my ass off to deliver what I was responsible for. It's no different (except obviously that there is a difference in the importance of the responsibility).

As for pointing at the insurance companies and crying "greed", it's not my fault. If you want to blame someone look towards your government, who have failed to push competition in the market. Immature nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

kceire wrote: »
    start of 2008 took a further 10% paycut to take up a job in the public service. (took a risk as i may not be kept on after this January.)

Whoa whoa whoa.
    You sure that wasnt a 110% Pay increase because everyone knows that the Civil service get payed in millions rather than thousands per year./sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

IF this is true,then the relevant Public Sector agencies,Gardai,DPP,Local Council,Public Health Office etc etc SHOULD descend upon these Retailers and forensically dismantle their entire premises in a search for something to impose a massive fine for.....This action would be necessary as,of course,everybody knows that Profiteering of itself is NOT a crime under a Fianna Fáil administration :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

AlekSmart wrote: »
    IF this is true,then the relevant Public Sector agencies,Gardai,DPP,Local Council,Public Health Office etc etc SHOULD descend upon these Retailers and forensically dismantle their entire premises in a search for something to impose a massive fine for.....This action would be necessary as,of course,everybody knows that Profiteering of itself is NOT a crime under a Fianna Fáil administration :o

And let's be careful not to tar everyone with the same brush. My local Gala and local Londis were both stocked with loads of regular price large drums of water (5 litre and 6 litre respectfully) that they would normally not be stocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

utter b0ll0cks about these strikes, theres people who are trying to live off welfare payments with a mortgage hanging over their head and we get a crowd of whingers who get 40 euros an hour correcting papers/superviseing classes that they wont take a paycut you are payed to do the job end of,well you have got your strike there,im sure in private sector you be replaced with another person from dole queue or even workers from other e.u states flown in to do the work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ronanireland

I work in the private sector and I'm currently earning about 30% of what I earned for the previous 4 consecutive years.
    Not thats a pay cut!
    And of course I work in the Private Sector. (Most of my earnings are commission based)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Was working / currently working as a Welder. We are down to a three day week for nearly a year now. Sometimes it goes down to two days. My employer is doing all he can to ensure there is still work for everyone and regularly puts in 14 hour days out trying to source jobs.

I am earning roughly slightly over 50% of what I was last year.

Most of the companies around here are all in a similar situation between layoffs and lads on week on week off or short time. Short time pay will be cut as it is a welfare allowance so that will be less cash and sadly things do not seem to be picking up in the industries here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Oh boy, i got bad news today above all days. My other half lost her fulltime job in admin, last day Dec 24th, yes thats Xmas eve, the ba5tards.

The company is a big household name of electronics based in Dublin which has a servicing/admin operation here(not manufacturing). A few were let go, another few will be let go next week. Asked why they were letting employees go in dribs and drabs(they let about 20 go a few months ago), they replied...'we don't want bad press'.

Only plus is a bit of redundancy to tie her over while she goes looking for a new job.

Hope ye lucky public sector types who have guaranteed jobs and especially those who were on strike today and have well paid jobs, reflect on the growing dole queues as it can happen to someone close to you and it is heartbreaking.

Don't post just to advertise your Facebook group, if you must advertise put something discreet into your signature.

<snip>

i would be happy to partake in such a protest , i had my own little protest today , had to go to dublin and on the way while passing through several towns , i encountered many pickets , i rolled down the window and shouted such slogans as , GO BACK TO WORK OVER PAID PUBLIC SERVANTS , felt good

Ha! Ha! Brilliant!!:D
    I would love to have done the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Some woman waving her banner at me outside the hospital today got the 2 fingers. The change on her face was priceless. Greedy parasites, I was driving a truck and they were damn lucky there was no puddles near them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Listening to the bleeding hearts on vincent brown tonight..... they have got no sympathy today from this strike and they know it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

f*** them, an absolute disgrace, the country is crippled and theyre just making it worse, self serving tossers. I hope they have tons more strikes, really pi$$ the public off more.

My wifes in the PS, not unionised and never will be, she couldnt go into work today because they had noone to 'organise' work for them, arrghhhh

We'd see how long our jobs would last if we went on strike at a whim.

In fact we should all be striking in the private sector at the weekends because if the unionised PS get their way they'll have kept their on average overpaid/over secured jobs and tax us into the ground further( to 'share' the burden )

Myself and the wife will happily take the originally proposed 7% average cut for the PS if it means the PS will be less of a burden on the economy.

some of them do not want further cuts,like the private sector people some had bought houses during the boom and left with highrate mortgages...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Fred83 wrote: »
    some of them do not want further cuts,like the private sector people some had bought houses during the boom and left with highrate mortgages...
    unfortunately the private sector dont want to take cuts either, they have a mortgage too but 150,000 of them are now on the dole now, the remaining private sector dont know if they will be working in 6 months or not, maybe we should just tax the public and private sector the same in the budget then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

westtip wrote: »
    Listening to the bleeding hearts on vincent brown tonight..... they have got no sympathy today from this strike and they know it.....

"But we've had a wage levy" and "all". "We'ill do whatevr it takes".

errr....well quit and F&ck off somewhere else like alot of the unemployed and talented people left in the private sector will do!

VB asked the garda how much a sargent or inspector gets paid, he say 53k. Lying hoor .... that is basic and unlike most in priv sector they get huge overtime and allowances. My mates (garda married a garda) the lower paid of which gets 60k a year. so thats a minimum of 120k for the household (well one of the few that they own.).

Then you had prime time earlier with there examples of people working in the PS, all of which were well below the average salary in the PS? FFS cop on!

i have a feeling,to stop the country going into anarachy,the private sector will be taxed again to please the public side...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

lmimmfn wrote: »
    unfortunately the private sector dont want to take cuts either, they have a mortgage too but 150,000 of them are now on the dole now, the remaining private sector dont know if they will be working in 6 months or not, maybe we should just tax the public and private sector the same in the budget then?

what about benchmarking?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Try not to let the thread become just generalised PS-bashing and ranting, please. If you have a coherent point to make, make it, and if you don't, don't.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

dodgyme wrote: »

VB asked the garda how much a sargent or inspector gets paid, he say 53k. Lying hoor .... that is basic and unlike most in priv sector they get huge overtime and allowances. My mates (garda married a garda) the lower paid of which gets 60k a year. so thats a minimum of 120k for the household (well one of the few that they own.). /QUOTE]

dont forget the overtime for working on a bank holiday weekend ;)

Advertisement