Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reality in the Private Sector

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Fred83 wrote: »
    i have a feeling,to stop the country going into anarachy,the private sector will be taxed again to please the public side...
    Of course they will, but theres 3 more years of massive taxes coming, if that happens they will cripple the economy indefinately.

When a company is losing money it doesnt keep costs the same and increase the selling prices of its products, or decrease slightly the salary of its employees and make up the rest increasing the prices of its products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

they might aswell do a germany and holland and legalise and tax prostitution if they are desperate for revenue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buckrodgers

How about blaming the government who put us in this mess? It seems to me that it is very convenient for them to let the public/private arguement go on, it stops everyone looking at them.

How about blaming the government who put us in this mess? It seems to me that it is very convenient for them to let the public/private arguement go on, it stops everyone looking at them.
    theyre effectively public sector, conflict of interest no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Work about 50 hours a week
    Haven't had a paycut but will be one of 8% next year
    Salary is what I was offered by a different organisation 5 years ago but didn't want to work for them, built it up over the years.
    There's been wide redundancies, I'd say about 20-30% of the staff, with more redundancies coming and cutbacks and no more work coming for the non-permanent staff which in turn will mean longer hours next year for the remaining members of staff
    25 days holidays (a cut on old job)
    No sick pay afaik, I've never taken a day off in current job
    Got into pension scheme last month after 18 months there. - 5% contribution from employer
    No OT, no flexitime, you work til you're finished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

lmimmfn wrote: »
    When a company is losing money it doesnt keep costs the same and increase the selling prices of its products, or decrease slightly the salary of its employees and make up the rest increasing the prices of its products.

There is a difference.
    Company can raise prices and you can buy something cheaper elsewhere.

Govt can raise taxes all they want, and you cant refuse to pay them. You can move country though. But people are too lazy and the Irish dole is just lovely to have as a cushion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

dodgyme wrote: »
    "But we've had a wage levy" and "all". "We'ill do whatevr it takes".

errr....well quit and F&ck off somewhere else like alot of the unemployed and talented people left in the private sector will do!

VB asked the garda how much a sargent or inspector gets paid, he say 53k. Lying hoor .... that is basic and unlike most in priv sector they get huge overtime and allowances. My mates (garda married a garda) the lower paid of which gets 60k a year. so thats a minimum of 120k for the household (well one of the few that they own.).

Then you had prime time earlier with there examples of people working in the PS, all of which were well below the average salary in the PS? FFS cop on!

I seen that teacher on prime time saying his salary was 49,000 and he said he takes home 970 every fortnight. Sounds wrong to me, I'm on 10 k less and take home a good bit more than what he's saying

Don't believe that rubbish the union is peddling. Private sector is well aware who caused the problem, it's about making savings, simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

Let go after christmas 2009

Worked in construction:eek: average wage 600-700 euro

Cant find work ,tried but lets be honest you cant try every day or every week

Would work for 350 euro a week (dont tell any future employers that) just to get outta house and have bit more cash

Lucky ive no mortgage:cool:

_Kooli_ wrote: »
    There is a difference.
    Company can raise prices and you can buy something cheaper elsewhere.
    And the company fails with no customers, i.e. if a company is to suceed it cannot under any circumstances do that.
    Govt can raise taxes all they want, and you cant refuse to pay them. You can move country though. But people are too lazy and the Irish dole is just lovely to have as a cushion.
    I wouldnt count on that its only a budget and european recovery away.
    I seen that teacher on prime time saying his salary was 49,000 and he said he takes home 970 every fortnight. Sounds wrong to me, I'm on 10 k less and take home a good bit more than what he's saying
    lmao, thats a blatent lie, any PS worker on Prime Time spouting that $hit should be completely ignored unless they have their slip as proof, failing to provide that they should be made a mockery of.
    However he could be right if he's married and his wife earns 100,000euro haha ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Work in the private sector. Revenue dropped where I work. What happened..

Salary freezes, cut backs, do more for less/with less mentality and 180 redundancies (not including contractors). Do I have sympathy for the public sector.. nope.

• Advertisement

GreenHell wrote: »
    Work in the private sector. Revenue dropped where I work. What happened..

Salary freezes, cut backs, do more for less/with less mentality and 180 redundancies (not including contractors). Do I have sympathy for the public sector.. nope.
    on the contrary you should be infuriated by them theyre trying to load their problem( which must be fixed no matter what ) on you and the rest of us who are barely keeping our jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buckrodgers

theyre effectively public sector, conflict of interest no?

They are nothing like the public sector workers on the ground. I am a civil servant in an IT division. I work hard and I like to think I always have done. It gauls me to see the money wasted by upper management and polititions - Im too tired to spell. Its very difficult for people like me to stand up and say anything because the feeling is that you would get blacklisted if you do.
    I went on strike today to stand up against this government and show them that we are sick of their rubbish. They need to stop their own spending and come down to reality. In my department they have director general awards for staff that show exceptional preformance. The staff have asked them to stop these awards but they havent. They are still sending senior members of staff abroad for meetings - why?? The director general is usually a senior member of staff who has been there for years, he gets promoted to director general for 7 years on a huge salary and then retires. He doesnt have any managerial experience like a managing director of a private company would. Why are these figure heads there!! Senior management from assistant principal level upwards are the ones that should be targeted and made to account for every minute of their day and every penny they spend. There is a serious boys club going on between the government and the senior management, this has to be stopped.
    Btw I am on 38000 before tax etc, my husband has been unemployed for over a year so my wage has to cover the mortgage etc. We are on the bread line at the moment and I have no idea what we will do if my wages are cut anymore. There is no overtime in my dept.

Sorry if I have gone on too long but I am proud of where I work and I am sick of higher management messing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

It is. 50k a year gets you about 730 a week, if memory serves me correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

on the contrary you should be infuriated by them theyre trying to load their problem( which must be fixed no matter what ) on you and the rest of us who are barely keeping our jobs.

I half agree with what you are saying, how many people working private would have begged for the chance to negotiate with their employers before the hammer dropped.

Change has to happen. Bottom line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Fred83 wrote: »
    i have a feeling,to stop the country going into anarachy,the private sector will be taxed again to please the public side...

There will be extra taxes, it is inevitable. They'll just call them green measures or something. Carbon tax is the first, properly a property tax.

Then they say there will be no more taxes but they'll bring more people into the tax net you can be sure of that because they have no choice.

The country is bankrupt and being bailed out by the ECB, they have to at least show they are trying to get their budget in line and that is all the cuts and taxes will be. The bare minimum to keep the ECB lending.

Public sector should just be thankful the government will only do just enough to keep the taps flowing and not actually try to balance the books.

GreenHell wrote: »
    I half agree with what you are saying, how many people working private would have begged for the chance to negotiate with their employers before the hammer dropped.

Change has to happen. Bottom line.
    we're luckly to be working never mind negotiations, its far far from a fair playing ground, the PS are basically make the private sector suffer as well, that would be 100% fine in the celtic tiger era where it was easy to find work, but thats no longer the case.

Put it like this, if you work in the private sector its high risk/potential high gain no guarantees when your pension age, in the public sector its been low risk/medium gain with a high gain at pension age.

Now they want to keep it all while we're all f*****? i wouldnt mind but a reduction in the PS salaries/wages, minimum wage and social welfare will mean in the private sector we will have to take cuts too from our employers, i dont mind that in the least, it makes us more competitive and reduces the cost of living.
    They are nothing like the public sector workers on the ground. I am a civil servant in an IT division. I work hard and I like to think I always have done. It gauls me to see the money wasted by upper management and polititions - Im too tired to spell. Its very difficult for people like me to stand up and say anything because the feeling is that you would get blacklisted if you do.
    I admire anyone who has passion to work well so kudos there in the PS
    I went on strike today to stand up against this government and show them that we are sick of their rubbish. They need to stop their own spending and come down to reality.
    Sorry, but today wasnt the forum to be pissed off at the government in general, because today you were standing to ensure that the government still keep its economic policy that was created in the good times and while unsustainable now you were asking that it be maintained.
    In my department they have director general awards for staff that show exceptional preformance. The staff have asked them to stop these awards but they havent. They are still sending senior members of staff abroad for meetings - why?? The director general is usually a senior member of staff who has been there for years, he gets promoted to director general for 7 years on a huge salary and then retires. He doesnt have any managerial experience like a managing director of a private company would. Why are these figure heads there!! Senior management from assistant principal level upwards are the ones that should be targeted and made to account for every minute of their day and every penny they spend. There is a serious boys club going on between the government and the senior management, this has to be stopped.
    That would drive me nuts, seriously, you were standing today to ensure they keep their high salaries, its all upper level, the union leeders want to flex their muscles, i bet there were very few of those director generals out today in the pissing rain?
    We used to have similar awards 4 or 5 years ago before the company tightened up.
    Btw I am on 38000 before tax etc, my husband has been unemployed for over a year so my wage has to cover the mortgage etc. We are on the bread line at the moment and I have no idea what we will do if my wages are cut anymore. There is no overtime in my dept.
    thats not a bad salary, i know of several mates in the private sector doing a similar job to me that are on 34,000 since 2004, but im sorry to hear about your hubby. Still though you have to understand what it might be like to be in similar circumstances to yourself but th breadwinner is in the private sector and doesnt know when they will lose their job? seriously theres a big difference between guaranteed income and keeping a job.
    Sorry if I have gone on too long but I am proud of where I work and I am sick of higher management messing it up.
    Not at all, your post is a very very refreshing change on those in the PS who strive to do their job but get stuck in the bureaucracy.
    I apologise if my comments are harsh, but unfortunately im just pissed off at the whole thing and the idea of shoving the cost of the public sector problem on those of us in the private sector who are fighting to keep jobs.

As was state in the past few days, the impact on those in the PS below 60,000euro was supposed to be 2% which isint much( i know i know its a cut ), but if social welfare gets hit too along with minimum wage then the private sector will indirectly get cut also meaning the cost of products and services will come down and it will make us more competitive, so at the end of the day you probably wont be any worse off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

thebman wrote: »
    There will be extra taxes, it is inevitable. They'll just call them green measures or something. Carbon tax is the first, properly a property tax.

Then they say there will be no more taxes but they'll bring more people into the tax net you can be sure of that because they have no choice.

The country is bankrupt and being bailed out by the ECB, they have to at least show they are trying to get their budget in line and that is all the cuts and taxes will be. The bare minimum to keep the ECB lending.

Public sector should just be thankful the government will only do just enough to keep the taps flowing and not actually try to balance the books.

if they bring in more taxes it will might drive more people into the black economy,and i say f#ck those who says it be bad for gov,let the people do cash in hand jobs,the teachers where doing it for years with their grinds and nobody complained..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The reality is we have to go back to 2001 pay levels etc, that was when the bubble burst. Everything since then has been based on cheap credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

I went on strike today to stand up against this government and show them that we are sick of their rubbish. They need to stop their own spending and come down to reality. In my department they have director general awards for staff that show exceptional preformance. The staff have asked them to stop these awards but they havent. They are still sending senior members of staff abroad for meetings - why?? The director general is usually a senior member of staff who has been there for years, he gets promoted to director general for 7 years on a huge salary and then retires. He doesnt have any managerial experience like a managing director of a private company would. Why are these figure heads there!! Senior management from assistant principal level upwards are the ones that should be targeted and made to account for every minute of their day and every penny they spend. There is a serious boys club going on between the government and the senior management, this has to be stopped.

I have tried to reply to this twice but computer has crashed twice! so briefly:
    Me: dole que next Monday as I will be made redundant on friday.
    Wife: works 3 days a week for €15k approx - hours cut earlier this year.
    Have saved over last few months in expectation of redundancy so can cover mortgage for a few months, hopefully will be working again before this runs out. Mortgage is low, we bought a cheap house didn't want mortgage we couldn't afford in a crisis(like this one).
    bottom line you dont realise how well off you are on your €38k a year. Yes it wont be easy, breadline - no. You should be able to afford to survive on that and survival is the name of the game right now in my opinion. There is some work out there, been looking for a few weeks, I will look for work in my area only for a month or so after that I will take anything I can get.

Rantan wrote: »
    I have tried to reply to this twice but computer has crashed twice! so briefly:
    Me: dole que next Monday as I will be made redundant on friday.
    Wife: works 3 days a week for €15k approx - hours cut earlier this year.
    Have saved over last few months in expectation of redundancy so can cover mortgage for a few months, hopefully will be working again before this runs out. Mortgage is low, we bought a cheap house didn't want mortgage we couldn't afford in a crisis(like this one).
    bottom line you dont realise how well off you are on your €38k a year. Yes it wont be easy, breadline - no. You should be able to afford to survive on that and survival is the name of the game right now in my opinion. There is some work out there, been looking for a few weeks, I will look for work in my area only for a month or so after that I will take anything I can get.

The dole and benefits might be too high, but take them while they are there to be taken.

Apply straight away for mortgage interest relief. You should also claim dole for the 3 days your wife isnt working. None of this will be taxed.

You should be up close enough to the guy whos family live on his 38k salary, after getting all your allowances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

The dole and benefits might be too high, but take them while they are there to be taken.

Apply straight away for mortgage interest relief. You should also claim dole for the 3 days your wife isnt working. None of this will be taxed.

You should be up close enough to the guy whos family live on his 38k salary, after getting all your allowances.

really?? Can you actually stand over such a sweeping statement and break it down or is that just what you assume?
    Missus was self emplyed for a while so no dole for her for a year by the way.
    Dole will be cut in the budget, I have no problem with that, it should be but 38K a year wow I never knew, this is going to be great!!

Rantan wrote: »
    really?? Can you actually stand over such a sweeping statement and break it down or is that just what you assume?
    Missus was self emplyed for a while so no dole for her for a year by the way.
    Dole will be cut in the budget, I have no problem with that, it should be but 38K a year wow I never knew, this is going to be great!!

Do yourself a favour here. Take nobodies work for anything.
    Go to citizens advice and ask them for help.
    Jaysus even ring Eddie Hobbs. In one of his shows he put a landscaper and his wife and kids on the dole and they a got a nice packet. http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=20312

No family in this country is required to live on €15k. Self employed or not. A myth spread by taxi drivers. The only reason you wont get any dole if you have been self employed is if there is money in the company account - in which case you should use it to pay yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭bridgitt

The only reason you wont get any dole if you have been self employed is if there is money in the company account - in which case you should use it to pay yourself.
    Wrong. Self employed people whose business fail / dry up , are means tested if they want the dole. If the person has worked hard for the past 10 or 20 years and has a bit of savings at all , or a house ( even if its in negative equity ) , they will not get a cent dole.

bridgitt wrote: »
    Wrong. Self employed people whose business fail / dry up , are means tested if they want the dole. If the person has worked hard for the past 10 or 20 years and has a bit of savings at all , or a house ( even if its in negative equity ) , they will not get a cent dole.

OK, now you are completely wrong here.
    I dont know what you are trying to do here, but its not a good thing for sure.
    You are talking completely out of your arse.

Instead of coming on and trying to prevent people asking for their benefits why not advise them to ask where they can get real advice?

Rantan - Ask citizens advice or MABS for your entitlements.

OK, now you are completely wrong here.

Really ? So you think a self employed person whose business dries up for whatever reason , and assuming he / she has been self employed for a number of years and has acted prudently and has some savings / a car and a house / mortgage can just go and get the dole ? If that was the case I suggest the unemployment queues would be longer by a hundred thousand ! Lots of shopkeepers / salespeople / tradesmen etc are making less than the minimum wage now , but cannot go on the dole as if they / their spouses were means tested they would not get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

jdivision wrote: »
    The reality is we have to go back to 2001 pay levels etc, that was when the bubble burst. Everything since then has been based on cheap credit.

and more importantly the property boom and the revenues it generated which soley funded europes highest paid public sector

Really ? So you think a self employed person whose business dries up for whatever reason , and assuming he / she has been self employed for a number of years and has acted prudently and has some savings / a car and a house / mortgage can just go and get the dole ? If that was the case I suggest the unemployment queues would be longer by a hundred thousand ! Lots of shopkeepers / salespeople / tradesmen etc are making less than the minimum wage now , but cannot go on the dole as if they / their spouses were means tested they would not get it.

Yes, you are lying.
    Easiest way is for the guy to go and ask what he is entitled to.

Your examples are just BS. Shopkeepers (i presume you mean those who own the shops) an wind up the business. If they have nothing left after that, dole. If they do have money left after selling up, pay themselves with it. These BS stories are handed down by self-employed, especially taxi drivers for the sympathy vote. NOBODY is denied social assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Yes, you are lying.

Your examples are just BS. Shopkeepers (i presume you mean those who own the shops) an wind up the business. If they have nothing left after that, dole. If they do have money left after selling up, pay themselves with it. These BS stories are handed down by self-employed, especially taxi drivers for the sympathy vote. NOBODY is denied social assistance.
    Actually I know of one young couple, he's self employed but no work, and she lost the job six months ago. About a month ago they were forced to go to the community welfare officer as their savings ran out, no assets, no car, renting.

The man was asked to submit his accounts, and had to put them in three times - the first time, they didn't read past the first page, literally, despite there being three page stapled together. The second time, they lost the accounts at the front desk.

The third time he was assessed as having €200 a week income, because the welfare crowd only looked at cheques coming in (discounted the other half of the spreadsheet, expenses, entirely), for the last three months, which they then multiplied by four for annual income. Rent, heat, electricity, travel, food, phone, all that was completely ignored in their means testing.

So this couple now have to somehow live on €130 a week, while I know of others sitting at home with the parents getting €204 a week, and yet others, recent arrivals to the country, who are getting a great deal more than that.

Oh yes and the welfare office in the city has literally stopped answering the phone for any reason.

Yes, you are lying.

Your examples are just BS. Shopkeepers (i presume you mean those who own the shops) an wind up the business. If they have nothing left after that, dole. If they do have money left after selling up, pay themselves with it.
    Many if not most shops are rented. The point anyway is if self employed people for whatever people fail in business and become unemployed, they are means tested before getting the dole or anything from the government. For example, if a self employed widget-maker or carpenter or painter has been making a living for years and paying his due taxes, but finds his business dries up, he / she will not get a cent dole if they have a reasonable amount of savings / a house / mortgage etc. If they are on the breadline and have no assets, then and only then they will get the dole. There are tens of thousands of auctioneers, tradespeople , shopkeepers, architects, salespeople etc not even making half the minimum wage per week.

• Advertisement

Many if not most shops are rented. The point anyway is if self employed people for whatever people fail in business and become unemployed, they are means tested before getting the dole or anything from the government. For example, if a self employed widget-maker or carpenter or painter has been making a living for years and paying his due taxes, but finds his business dries up, he / she will not get a cent dole if they have a reasonable amount of savings / a house / mortgage etc. If they are on the breadline and have no assets, then and only then they will get the dole. There are tens of thousands of auctioneers, tradespeople , shopkeepers, architects, salespeople etc not even making half the minimum wage per week.

Im going to say it once more.
    What you are saying is not true. Go ring MABS or citizens advice for proof. Its just a phone call away.

The person in question needs to find out himself what he and his wife are entitled to and not be put off by this BS.

The reason i say to go to MABS or citizens advice is that welfare are known to make mistakes, like the post above. Independent advice is required.

Advertisement