Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it just me or are Dell cd/dvd drives just generally pretty crap?

• 17-11-2009 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Just a simple question, have any of you noticed that Dell cd/dvd drives just pretty much tend to be extremely temperamental and regularly end up just not working at all?

Or am I just having bad luck with my drives?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Its a Dell man par for the course :)

Just buy a new one online for about 40 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Ahh I see. I thought as much. The drive itself was made by Hitachi but maybe Dell didn't pay them very much lol. Can you recommend any I could buy online? Are laptop cd drives easy to replace?

eskimo wrote: »
    Ahh I see. I thought as much. The drive itself was made by Hitachi but maybe Dell didn't pay them very much lol. Can you recommend any I could buy online? Are laptop cd drives easy to replace?

Damm I didnt know it was a laptop :(

From what I read on the subject its not that easy but cant say for sure. Is the laptop still under warranty ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Nah it's over two years old. Doh!

Maybe try one of the laptop repair places and see what they can do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Laptop drives are even easier to replace the desktop ones. The only tricky thing is the bezel, which you may need to swap with the one on the old drive. Just so that it closes flush with the laptop casing. Type in the model number for your laptop into YouTube and maybe "replace DVD" and see what pops up. That'll show you how difficult it is.

OEM manufacturers will spend the money on the branded parts that they think that consumers expect to receive. Intel processors, Microsoft Windows, nVidia graphics cards, that kind of thing. Every other component is as cheap as they can make it. Years ago the biggest difference was in modems, the dial-up kind. One with the PC was crap vs. the one that you bought in a shop which worked well.

Advertisement