Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garlic Planting

Options
  • 17-11-2009 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Any body any idea as to where to buy some good garlic seeds. also how many to plant at the one time, I know this is the time of year to plant but that's all I know.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Garlic isn't grown from seed, it's grown by taking apart a head of garlic and planting the individual cloves. It's best to use a prepared head, but if you can't get one in a seed shop or garden centre then you could plant an ordinary one from the supermarket and hope for the best.

Edit: there's good advice here: http://www.allotment.org.uk/vegetable/onion-shallot/grow-garlic.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We used standard shop cloves and had great results... Get them in soon so they get well frosted as this helps their development...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Garlic is so easy to grow it will even sprout in the fridge!:D
    Best to use old cloves and simply split and plant, point facing upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Thank you one and all for your contributions, looking forward to planting and a good crop!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Foleyart wrote: »
    Any body any idea as to where to buy some good garlic seeds. also how many to plant at the one time, I know this is the time of year to plant but that's all I know.

Tey to use ones that come form Europe some of the supermarket ones come from China & all over the world , different climates there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 dumac

Don't they say that you should plant them on Christmas day? Or is it an old wives tale?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The garlic clove you plant will grow and split into other cloves, eventually forming a head of garlic - they need a cold snap to encourage the splitting, I believe. That'd lend credence to the Christmas Day planting...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

yep

a good frost is what they need. a bit like brussels sprouts

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dumac

Then there's wild garlic, which is native and free. Probably best not to transplant a clump of it until warmer weather?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

dumac wrote: »
    Don't they say that you should plant them on Christmas day? Or is it an old wives tale?
    The traditional way is plant on the shortest day, harvest on the longest. I think the Christmas Day planting is for (show) onions.

I brought some "Wight" garlic, and planted about a month ago. I've been looking for some shop brought to plant as a comparison, but have only spotted ones of chinese origin so far (when I've thought of it).

I've wild garlic seed that as well, haven't got around to sowing that yet, as I haven't picked my spot. Supposedly a bit uncontrollable, but I only found that out after ordering the seed. btw Is it legal to dig from the wild?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭BlancheSparks

I planted on shortest day once... they did nothing. Depends where you live I think. If its not very mild where u are then put em in a bit earlier... gives them more chance to get going

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Macy wrote: »
    The traditional way is plant on the shortest day, harvest on the longest. I think the Christmas Day planting is for (show) onions.

I brought some "Wight" garlic, and planted about a month ago. I've been looking for some shop brought to plant as a comparison, but have only spotted ones of chinese origin so far (when I've thought of it).

I've wild garlic seed that as well, haven't got around to sowing that yet, as I haven't picked my spot. Supposedly a bit uncontrollable, but I only found that out after ordering the seed. btw Is it legal to dig from the wild?

I don't think it would be a problem to transplant any wild garlic from the wild. Mind you anyone planting wild garlic really needs to consider the consequences very carefully. Out of control this plant is almost impossible to bring under control or eradicate. Be warned, this plant has caused considerable destruction of many good borders and lawns!

IMO a plant for the red list.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I planted some in October in buckets of compost. Shortly after we got about two weeks of summer weather and they emerged and have grown to about 9 inches. I thought the idea was that they would be "dormant" until spring. I imagine they wont survive the frost but it will be interesting to see.

I also put a few strawberry plants in other buckets and they are out in the frost as well. I was told by someone who should know that they will be OK. Never tried growing garlic or strawberries before.

Advertisement